Google Navigation Challenge III: from Cape to Cape

The place for non-canon series, including all series that contain minimal or no references at all to the RWRS universe
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Google Navigation Challenge III: from Cape to Cape

Post by Nessafox »

Chapter 1: Concept
-The first one to arrive at the destination will be the overall winner of the constest. Obviously.
-The participant with the lowest mileage will get a trophy.
-The participant who crossed the most countries will get a trophy.
-Points will also be attributed daily, the participant with the most points will get a trophy. This will be rewarded on the basis of most km's travelled per leg.
-The participant with the best narration of their journey will get a trophy (this a bit subjective i'll admit, but i'd love to see people do an effort to be creative, however you will not be punished if you're not the creative type)
-This is a game about skill as well as adaptability to circumstances.
Chapter 2: The route
We will start our journey at the parking lot of kaap de goede hoop in South Africa (-34.357035838469486, 18.47363836096292), we mess around a bit on the African continent, those who survive get a smoother ride over Europe or Asia, and we will eventually finish at the Nordkapp in Norway (71.16971673452119, 25.783969312663665 ) , specifically at the public toilet positioned there. How you get there is up to you, as long as it fits the rules.
Chapter 3: How to participate
-First thing you'll need is google maps, obviously.
-You will make a post on the forum that you are participating. If you only have discord and not the forum, please make a forum account.
-You will post your specific starting location and end location of the leg and then post it on the forum thread, or send me a DM on the forum or the Discord server.
-You can either send a working link of your trajectory or send me a screenshot or your trajectory, but in both cases, the administrator, this time being me, must be able to recreate your route and be able to confirm this falls within the rules. Please include important information such as your time, your mileage (or kilometrage), and the location you stopped.
-I will post a roundup after every stage so everyone can see how well others are doing in the contest.
-You will have 48 hours after the roundup of every stage to post your next leg. Please do not post your next leg before the roundup post. I will notify when the next leg opens and when the deadline will be.
-If the map doesn't allow you to cross a border, like what happened in the past with China, please give me 2 seperate maps, and please zoom in properly so i have proof that a border-crossing road indeed exists
-If you want to do some roleplaying, please explain me in detail what car you drive, how you got the car, how you got it in South-Africa, who your drivers are, what their history is, what their personalities are, etc. This will (probably) not effect your race and is not mandatory.
-Keep in mind that if you roleplay and choose a car that is not road-legal, you can suffer some form of consequence for that.

How to turn off traffic:
If you switch to traffic mode, you will see this (in the language you use), it will give you the options of live traffic or typical traffic. You can turn off traffic by the blue button on the top right.

Chapter 4: Rules
Rule 1: Your route must exist and must be verifiable by the admin
Rule 2: You can drive maximum 10 hours per day in normal conditions
Rule 3: You must select 'car' on google maps
Rule 4: You must have traffic information off, due to time zone differences. I don't want people staying up the night just to get a faster route, like happened last time. If traffic is on, it is also harder to recreate your route for me. If you keep traffic on, and my verification show your route to take longer than when you posted it, i will use the time it shows on my screen. Penalty time will be adjusted accordingly.
Rule 5: You will sleep in a place that is listed as a proper sleeping accomodation, this can be a hotel, a hostel, a camping or something similar. If you're stranded in the absolute middle of nowhere, the admin can give you a dispensation to sleep in your car, but you must notify me BEFORE you make your route public. If you don't give me enough time to respond (we all have lives) or disregard this rule, i will rng the level of exhaustion your driver will experience, meaning that your maximum allowed time the next day might be a lot less.
Rule 6: for every minute your route is over the 10 hours limit,you will get a 5 minute penalty on your next day. If you make a habit of racking up penalties, i have the authority to remove you out of the competition. It's very unlikely that i will, but keep in mind the possibility exist.
Rule 7: an rng event regarding weather will be held for the relevant countries wich might be crossed the specific day. This has influence on the maximum allowed time you can cross in one leg.
Rule 8: an rng event regarding civil unrest will be held for the relevant countries wich might be crossed the specific day. This has influence on the maximum allowed time you can cross in one leg, If you manage to start that leg at all. If for example you insist on going trough the Gaza strip, be prepared for the risks of doing so.
Rule 9: after the winner has arrived, you have 7 in-game days to finish.
Rule 10: If you are the type of person who is forgetful, you can post your planned route beforehand in my DM's, this gives you a tactical disadvantage as opposed to those who post every day, but it will assure you will not forget to post.
Rule 11: if you forget to post one day, or post after the 48 hours limit, you have lost a full day.
Rule 12: you can not post more than 1 route on the same day.
Rule 13: I would like to participate myself, however, to make things fair, i will start one day later than the rest of you.
Rule 14: Keep in mind that whilst this is a contest, please keep it fun and don't overstress yourself.
Rule 15: You can still enter once the contest is going. However, you will not be allowed to make up for the lost days, as you would otherwise have a tactical advantage.
Rule 16*: If you choose roleplaying, it might affect your rng odds.
Rule 17: Once you post your route, you an no longer edit it.
Rule 18: Added rule, if rain is predicted for a country ,but you'revery close to the border, or if you barely touched the country, you will by defaul only lose 5 minutes.
Rule 19: Added rule after a competitor's question: yes it's allowed to intervene with other competitors and try to disadvantage them. But a few notes. 1) roleplaying-wise, this is always allowed, but 2) for it to have real-life effects, you must be sleeping in the same accomodation. Please only do this to people who you know would be ok with it. Not everybody is here to roleplay to that extent, so when in doubt, don't do it. 3) this only works if you post your route before they post theirs.
Rule 20: Tiebreakers: if 2 people arrive at exactly the same time the second criteria will be the amount of countries, the third criteria the least distance covered, and the 4th criteria the amount of wins in the points 5th criteria the amount of second places in the points, etc.

Chapter 5: Entry list
#01 Nessafox (1 day handicap)
#02 TommyKl
#03 Pinkd56
#04 Girry
#05 Aislabie
#06 NickyDustyOwl
#07 Forti
#08 pasta_maldonado
#09 Klon
#10 Shadaza
#11 Frogfoot9013
#12 Loadsamoney
#13 DigitDan7
#14 Kinnikuniverse
#15 Nuppiz
#16 Rob Dylan
#17 Ducktanian (entered from Leg 4 onwards)

The competition will start at Monday the 8th of April 2024 on 00:01 GMT+1 (my own time zone)
Please confirm your participation below:

https://formularejects.com/wiki/Google_ ... pe_to_Cape
Last edited by Nessafox on 24 Apr 2024, 22:51, edited 30 times in total.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
tommykl

Re: Google Navigation Challenge III: from Cape to Cape

Post by tommykl »

Hell yeah, sign me up!
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Pinkd56
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pinkd56 »

I will attempt to take part in this :P
girry

Post by girry »

I'm in
when you're dead people start listening
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

To my knowledge I've never done one of these before. Let's change that
NickyDustyOwl

Post by NickyDustyOwl »

Nick Holiday wishes to complete his toughest challenge yet
Pinkd56
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pinkd56 »

PROLOGUE

So I've landed in Cape Town. BA Economy red eye flight from Heathrow. Full of Cardiff Blues rugby fans who wouldn't stop singing but now I've landed at least I don't need to change my watch! I make my way over to the Hertz desk, where 'Suzie' greets me and takes my booking I.D.

"Thank you Sir. Ah yes, you've booked a Group E vehicle... a Toyota Corolla Cross... or similar."

I worked in car hire for five years. I know what the emphasis on or similar means. Too many days of trying to fit five Lithuanians in a Hyundai i10 at Luton Airport, when they clearly booked a Volvo.

"We're quite heavily booked this week, because of the Rugby. Uh, we've only got a Toyota Agya... but it's a spritely little number!" Suzie attempted a smile, which I only knew too well. Obviously the rule of never giving downgrades hasn't made it to this Hertz franchise.

After squeezing my numerous bags into this 0.7l Bosch washing machine, my next destination was to the used car lots of Cape Town. I had just over 100,000 rand (5,000€) burning a hole in my pocket after getting lucky on a football acca just before Christmas. I was initially enthralled by a beautiful 1974 VW Beetle 1600 but I needed something tough. There was a 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5 X but the idea of coaxing a Boxer engine across the Sahara didn't quite appeal to me. A Nissan NP300 Hardbody looked the part, but on reflection it could possibly get airstriked if I end up going through Syria.

At the back corner of the lot, something caught my eye. Is that... a Frontera? Well, no. It's a 1999 Isuzu Frontier 280DT LX. It's basically a Vauxhall, right? It's got a really strong, torquey GM Diesel engine, towbars and even a nice Sony CD player! I managed to knock Rafa, the dealer, down to about 80,000 rand and drive away with it. It's perfect.

I check into the Penguin's View Guesthouse near our start point, with the feeling this might be one of the last luxurious hotels I'll be in for a while.

5am, I get a call from Suzie at Hertz. I forgot about the Agya at Rafa's dealer. It's been torched. Always remember to take out the Hertz SuperCover - worth that £26.40.

To confirm my entry.
Vehicle: 1999 Isuzu Frontier 280DT LX
Engine: Isuzu 280DT 2.8 Diesel Engine
Transmission: Manual
Odometer: 252,000km
Colour: White
Cost: 80,000 ZAR
Features: Power steering, electric windows, Sony CD player, leather seats, front tow bar, steel alloys, off road tyres, 1x spare wheel
Forti
Location: The Pacific time zone, the most rejectful time zone of them all

Post by Forti »

Signor Forti is ready for adventure!
Aislabie wrote: Oh that's another thing, if you hang around with us it will completely reshape your perception of Mario as a character.
It would be funny if FortiWinks returned from his absence only to find out that I'm the Forti in town now.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Cape Morning Herald wrote:Brexit bus stolen from scrapyard

A 12 metre coach with an interesting past has been stolen from a scrapyard in Brackenfell, Cape Town, in the late hours of yesterday. The bright red vehicle was formerly used as a mobile advertisement for the “Vote Leave” campaign for Brexit in 2016 before being sold as scrap.

Quite what anyone wants to do with it is beyond us.
Let’s do this.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

pasta_maldonado wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 15:00Let’s do this.
Damn, pasta, are you that desperate to get an edge on the competition? (Let's see who gets that one)

I can't guarantee I'll see it through, but I will enter with a Mercedes-Benz modified by ANC Elsbett because doing this challenge with a trunk full of vegetable oil is a funny idea.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Let's go.

I arrive in Cape Town with a budget of 20,000 Rand. Just under £1000.

And here is my ride, an ancient Mercedes. My glorious steed for the challenge to come.
Message me on Discord.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Aislabie wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 22:57 To my knowledge I've never done one of these before. Let's change that
excerpt from "Cape to Cape", TEDx Gqberha, 2025

[...]

Peter Pietersen: So if you win R150,000 gambling against your own country what do you think you would do? Try to move house? Maybe go on holiday? What about a tattoo?

Hanse Mandelson: Well we went on holiday.

PP: Sort of.

HM: Sort of. It was also a race: this sort of madcap Cannonball Run, except we'd be trying to get from Cape Town to the very northern tip of somewhere in Norway. I confess at that point, I didn't actually know where we were going. See the thing to remember here is we're not professionals.

PP: Not at all.

HM: Yeah, we didn't even have jobs at that point. But we'd won a bunch of cash betting heavily against the South African cricket team at the recent African Games. Luckily for us, they were shite.

PP: Total garbage.

HM: Like your mixtape.

PP: (silence)

HM: Anyway so we knew what our budget was, and we knew that we didn't want anything too gas-guzzling. So it was an obvious choice, right.

PP: Ford FIesta.

HM: Ford Fiesta.

PP: But then we thought, aren't we going to have to take stuff with us right?

HM: And I said, "probably."

PP: And we didn't really wanting to leave all our shite out on the back seat, so we thought we'd have to make some modifications. I got my mate Dave-

HM: Dangerous Dave!

PP: -to our flat, and he said he'd convert it into a tiny pick-up truck for R30,000. We figured what the hell, and he did it for us.

HM: Absolute legend!

PP: Legend.

HM: Anyway, we put our spare clothes, some sleeping bags and a crate of water bottles in the back, and there was still a bunch of room. That wasn't great, we didn't want everything moving around.

PP: No sir.

HM: So we had to fill the space. And there was an obvious answer, so we bought a load of that too and we were ready to go:
Last edited by Aislabie on 10 Apr 2024, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

So as an admin, we need a vehicle that sends out a vibe of authority, we found this Chevrolet Tahoe for 155000 Rand "Used in the 2020 movie, Last Days of American Crime."
https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-classic-vin ... 0735580609
(obviously, as i'm the one setting up all the race, i have more budget to spend, or at least, i'll be able to keep up that façade early on)

If anyone has mechanical issues, i suggest this car https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-classic-vin ... 0082794509

As the contest got closer, and we saw how many competitors where trying to pack so much luggage into such small vehicles, we decided last minute to buy this all-purpose trailer for 10000 rand, you never know when it comes in handy. And at least we want to give of an air of competence

Last edited by Nessafox on 09 Apr 2024, 20:55, edited 2 times in total.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

I am entering.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
girry

Post by girry »

It is me, Petteri Poskiparta who has arrived in Cape Town. There is no need to stretch my budget to complete this challenge, so my strategy is exceedingly simple.

First, I will buy the best car I can find, which is available for less than 500€. I will drive it as long as it goes. When it will no longer go, I repeat and buy the best 500€ car I can find.

---

In ZA, five hundred euro gets you roughly 10 000 local moneys. The local used car websites aren't too friendly, but fear not - Facebook Marketplace exists. And we've got ourselves a Honda Ballad get in and go. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 30743c9c59

Imagine all the people living life in Peace
when you're dead people start listening
Loadsamoney

Post by Loadsamoney »

Entering the carney monster truck entry. It’s one of those where you can ride on the back so I’ll see if I can get any of my mates to go along with it.
DigitDan7

Post by DigitDan7 »

As a fan of Race Across The World & Jet Lag The Game, I'm quite excited for this. Count me in!
(A writeup will be coming soon.)
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

I have no idea what i'm getting myself into, but i, Mario Lafleur, am in Cape Town, South Africa, in order to realise a dream of mine. Complete a cross-continent race. My very own Cannonball Run.

Now, how did a quebecois pleb like me, who honed his driving skills as a Benny BBQ delivery driver, ended up in Cape Town for such a demanding and unique endeavour? Simple: i won the lottery! Well, okay, i only won 30,000 $, but hey, that's big for a guy like me who lives in an apartment in the Longueuil hoods...yeah, very smart, i know.

But hey! You can do a lot with $30,000! Like take a trip to Cape Town...well, okay, only the plane tickets and hotel in the city...and nothing else, really, but it doesn't matter! I'm a pragmatic guy, and i brought everything i need in my backpack, including my Nintendo Switch. Now, all i needed was a car. But not.just any kimd of car. Oh no, baby, this is a cannonball run, we gonna go full Need For Speed in this bitch. And not the Underground/Most Wanted ones, no no! The OGs on the PC and Hot Pursuit!

...the truth is, trying to find a sports car that would fit the $30,000 budget is...well, it's a pipe dream, pretty much. As such, as i waited in the airport, taking advantage of the free wi-fi, i visited a website called Junkmail.com for a car. Alresady, the name gave me bad vibes, but then, i found this deal of the bathplug century right here!

The Toyota Supra. The car from my childhood...well, not exactly, since its not the Castrol Tom's Supra from Gran Tursimo, but still, that's 10,000 Rands! That's $721 in canadian dollars!

I mean, sure, there's a little bit of rust on the doors and the interior has seen better days...but hey, at leadt, it doesn't look like there is no bed bugs!

After contacting the guy, who thankfully spoke english, we met at the parking lot of Kaap de hoof oor whatever, i gave him the 10,000 rand by online transfer, and there ya go, i got a beautiful white 84 Supra for the race towards Norway! I wouldn't mind sleeping in the car, as i bought some food at the local grocery stores to fill up my backpack, and my phone and Switch would keep me entertained as i head to Norway.

...oh shite, that's right, how am i supposed to reach Norway from here?
Forti

ARWS team TBA joins Navigation Challenge III

Post by Forti »

Roleplay time.

February 2024

Old man Anzungolst perked up as he read about a new international racing event. The Navigation Challenge III, it was called. As he further investigated, he concluded that it was Dakar but with more carney. Somewhat of a carney himself, he decided this would be the highlight of early 2024 given that ARWS pre-season testing was cancelled and the series was yet again in shambles.

He observed the TBA garage. Some ARWS chassis, C-Class DTM touring cars, and some GT3s. Not exactly ideal for an event of this nature.

ARWS stars 🇦🇹 Monika Flater and 🇨🇦 James Wilmington were still contracted to Team Bert Anzungolst, and they needed stuff to do. Herr Anzungolst nominated them to lead the charge in the Dakarney Rally. He handed them flight tickets to Gauteng, South Africa, and a 5,000 euro budget (~100k rand) for the event.

March 2024

Having landed in Gauteng, the drivers looked out for a worthy vehicle for the journey. Several Jeeps and even a used BMW X5 caught their attention, but they ultimately settled on this: a 1995 Mitsubishi Pajero (https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used/19 ... g/9390665/)
This thing was clearly ready for off-roading and even had a frickin’ snorkel! At only 49k rand, the Mitsubishi took up less than half of their budget. The rest could go towards hotels, stocking up for the trip, and giving the car the TBA livery, complete with the Anzungolst Arrow. James & Monika’s test drive of the Pajero to the starting point in Cape Town yielded promising results…

Aislabie wrote: Oh that's another thing, if you hang around with us it will completely reshape your perception of Mario as a character.
It would be funny if FortiWinks returned from his absence only to find out that I'm the Forti in town now.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Having spent a few years not racing anything, Anniina Ruohonen was bored. Then, she saw an advertisement for an endurance race from Cape Town to Nordkapp. Figuring this is her last chance for glory, she sold everything she could and managed to muster a healthy budget of 10 000 € before signing up for the race. She also managed to persuade her friend Amanda Grönroos to act as a co-driver and general company.

Then the reality hit her. That 10 grand would have to fly them over to South Africa, get them a car, potentially transport that car to the starting point, and pay for all accomodation and supplies along the way. So they'd need a cheap but reliable ride. Volvos are pretty reliable, right? Amanda noticed an ad for a Volvo V90 that was being sold for just under 50 000 rand, or 2 000 €. It was located near Johannesburg though, so it would take some effort to get it to Cape Town. But that was just too good of a deal to resist!

So Anniina and Amanda boarded the plane to Johannesburg, and after a long flight and a slightly uncomfortable taxi ride to the car dealer, they went to check on their V90...
But it was no V90 at all! While being listed as such presumably due to website limitations, it was actually a 1970s Volvo 144. Amanda, being rather clueless about car models, had somehow managed to not look at the photos or the model year of the car, and Anniina hadn't even bothered to check the advertisement in the hassle of organising everything for the race.

It is still a Volvo though and with the bulletproof B20 engine. With no time to look for other cars, Anniina handed over the car dealer one fifth of their total budget. Now it was time to start an ardurous two-day journey towards Cape Town. At least they're going to give the car a good test. And hey, the beige/yellow colour might work as camouflage on the desert stages...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I can't promise a write-up, but sure I'll join this :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Forecasts (i will add rng results later)

South Africa
Weather (% rain) 100% west 90% east
Political unrest (% of something happening) 0-5%
Lesotho
Weather (% rain) 90%, possibly thunderstorms
Eswatini
Weather (% rain) 90%
Namibia
Weather (% rain) 0%
Botswana
Zimbabwe
Weather (% rain) 10%
Mozambique
Weather (% rain) 70%
Political unrest (% of something happening) 10-20%
Angola
Weather (% rain) 20%, more than 30°C
Political unrest (% of something happening) 5-10%
Zambia
Weather (% rain) 20%
Malawi
Weather (% rain) 20%
Madagascar
Weather (% rain) 40%
DR Congo
Weather (% rain) 50% west, more than 30°C 60% east
Political unrest (% of something happening) 20-50%
Congo
Weather (% rain) 40%, more than 30°C
Tanzania
Weather (% rain) 70%, more than 30°C, possibly thunderstorms
Gabon
Weather (% rain) 60%, more than 30°C
Equatorial Guinea
Weather (% rain) 50%, more than 30°C
Rwanda
Weather (% rain) 80%, possibly thunderstorms
Burundi
Weather (% rain) 70%, possibly thunderstorms
Uganda
Weather (% rain) 70% , possibly thunderstorms
Kenya
Weather (% rain) 70% west 50% east more than 30*C
Somalia
Weather (% rain) 40%, more than 30*C
Cameroon
Weather (% rain) 60%, more than 30°C
Central African Republic
Weather (% rain)
South Sudan
Weather (% rain) 40%, more than 30°C
Ethiopia
Weather (% rain) 60%
Last edited by Nessafox on 04 Apr 2024, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

RNG For the first leg

South Africa
Weather (% rain)
100% west, no rng needed
you will lose 2 hours
90% east
54, it will rain, but less heavy, you will lose 1 hour
you're safe in South Africa
Eswatini
Weather (% rain) 90%
light rain, your cars will handle that fine
no time lost
Political unrest 0-5%
safe
Lesotho
34 you lose 30 mins
Political unrest0-5%
78, you will be safe
Namibia
Weather (% rain) 0%
no rng needed
you will encounter some farmer strikes, time lost: 30 mins
Botswana
66, you will lose 1 hour
52, no issues here
Zimbabwe
Weather (% rain) 10%
92, smooth riding
15, no issues, but be careful to not offend anyone

Plan your first leg with this information in mind. And regularly check the forecast from time to time to estimate the risk. Entries are still open!

Daily Random rng event
random object generator says
box of baking soda
random number generatior say
10, that means shadaza will have to get a box of baking soda on his first leg.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

January 15th
Thomas De Bock thought he'd evolved past the need for stupidly-long navigational challenges. He'd gone nine years without succumbing to the temptation of one, after the misery and confusion of the previous two, across Eurasia and then the Americas. He'd sold the Volkswagen Golf he and Yaël had used and moved on to focus on his career in engineering. That is, until an email fell into his inbox from a fellow competitor in these previous events. "Navigational Challenge III", it said. "From Cape to Cape", it added. Goddammit.

Just enough to hook him in and at least get him to read the email before politely turning the offer down. And then, the kicker.

The sudden realisation that Africa came with significantly less predictable obstacles than Eurasia and fewer bottlenecks than the Americas, promising a more open-ended event. The rush of memories of what he had enjoyed from the previous shleps across continents, the slow morphing of terrain from biome to biome, day to day. Against his better judgment, he provisionally put his name down. A week later, the entry list was over 12 strong. GodDAMMit.

January 24th
Not helping his cause was Yulia, Tom's partner. They shared the travel bug, of course, but having never done a challenge like this, the mystique of the road trip had not yet waned for her, and not only did she encourage the entry, she hoped to be a part of it. With Yaël now having left the family nest and unable (unwilling?) to commit to a third adventure, the way ahead was clear.

By then, blogs got a hold of the story. A private board was opened for teams to share their progress towards the start line. Many had decided to go to Cape Town beforehand to grab a decent used car for cheap, perfect for the arduous road ahead, with mixed results.

De Bock had a different, stupider idea.

February 2nd
While his budget wasn't significantly different from that of others, he did have friends and colleagues who could work on a car. The plan was to buy a cheaper car, modify it for suitability in the savannahs, forests and deserts of the continent, then spend the rest of that money transporting said cheaper vehicle from Britain to South Africa. All that remained was to find something available for cheap in North Oxfordshire.

February 11th
Enter the 2002 Land Rover Freelander. His for less than 2500 Great British pounds, plus some internal servicing and some mods to improve the mileage of a full tank and avoid crucial minutes lost along the way.

March 2nd
Shipping to Cape Town was surprisingly easy, for a cost of £1365 starting from the port of Tilbury. 24 days was the expected time required to do so, plenty of time to sort travel for the couple, and accommodation prior to the start.

March 27th
Tom and Yulia arrived in Cape Town via Frankfurt, Lufthansa flights LF1523 and LH576, for £497 each. Expecting the car to actually be on time turned out to be too much to ask. Oh well, 11 nights at the 7th Wonder Boutique Guesthouse (£1273) would help alleviate that annoyance as they toured the city awaiting the car.

April 3rd
32 days later, both car and crew had arrived, to spend a few days getting a feel for it on the African roads and, of course, take in the vibe of the Town.

April 7th
One final stop for diesel before the start of the challenge. 59 litres in the tank, 24 rand a litre, all amounting to £60.

Already £6166 in the hole, they joined the others at the starting line. May the luckiest team win.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/''/' ... ?entry=ttu

Taking the rusty Mercedes almost as old as I am, I make my way to the start line where I meet my fellow competitors. Some this may be the first and last time we see each other, others could well be travel companions along the way. A curious sight.

I'm approached by the foxy race organisers, they tell me I have to purchase Baking Soda along the day's route. Before I can ponder the meaning the race has begun!

The field leaves together heading north to Capetown. This is the most sensible spot to do my grocery shopping! https://www.woolworths.co.za/prod/Food/ ... 9173755315 sure enough they have Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda in US English.)

With that, it's time to head north and the weather has begun to turn. Heavy rain slowing my progress, I had hoped to make it to Namibia on this first leg, but with time ticking, I had to settle for Vioolsdrift Lodge a welcome dry relief. (Turns out my Merc is a bit leaky, go figure.)

Message me on Discord.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Previously: PART ZERO

excerpt from an interview on Radio Teemaneng Stereo (89.1 FM)

[...]

"And I'm joined by Peter Pietersen, who's going on a bit of a special journey. Peter, can you tell us any more?"

"Of course, Natalie. So Hanse and I are taking part in a race from Cape Town to Norway. Today was the first day of running for everyone and we're feeling pretty good about life."

"So Peter, where are you now?"

"We're at the Kwelanga River Lodge. It was a long old way [LINK], but we're pretty pleased with ourselves. It started off really nicely - within about 20 minutes, we could see down to Buffels Bay from the road we were on."

Pictured: Buffels Bay.

"Unfortunately, it started to rain halfway through the National Park and by the time we got to Silvermine it was just hosing down. Hanse and I decided we'd stop off once we got into town. We were on Boyes Drive, so we stopped at Westlake Golf Club and got sliders. Hanse knows a guy who's a member, which certainly helps. Then once the rain stopped, we powered on."

Pictured: Sliders.

"After that, we got on the M3 freeway and just kept on going. It was mad - we went straight through one of Africa's greatest cities and barely saw any of it. First it was the M3, then the M5, then we were finally onto the N7."

"So this would be just north of Cape Town?"

"Yes. And let me tell you Natalie, the N7 is a really long road. We were on that thing for exactly 666km before we turned off it. If we'd gone another 100 metres, we'd've ended up in Namibia - but we decided that was a tomorrow job."

Pictured: The turning just before customs.

"So what did you do then? Just stop at the first lodge you saw?"

"Not exactly. We decided to keep pushing on up the road a little bit further and we ended up at the gorgeous Kwelanga River Lodge. Got ourselves a nice little hut, and the hosts even lit the braai and cooked us up some ribs which was great, because all we'd had since the sliders that morning was a couple of pounds of biltong."

Pictured: Peter and Hanse's hut.

"So Peter, what are your plans for tomorrow and do you think you can win?"

"Tomorrow, we head into Namibia - we'll probably get to about Windhoek. And of course we can win: South Africans are winners."

"Peter Pietersen, thanks for coming on."

Link to Peter and Hanse's route:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/1jMxzbwspnS84vAX6
Last edited by Aislabie on 12 Apr 2024, 10:29, edited 2 times in total.
Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

i am going from the starting spot in Cape Town to Springbok, near the Namibia border, stopping at this little guest house right here caled Morewag Farm. Here is the route:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1luwz ... drivesdk

https://www.booking.com/hotel/za/mor ... 313_1_0_0
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

#09: Day 1

Post by Klon »

It's raining and I am driving in a Mercedes-Benz through South Africa ... only one thing to do.

"There is nothing that a hundred men or more could ever doooooooooooooooo. I bless the rains down in Aaaaaaaaaaaafricaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..."

Timestamp: 2024-04-08-14-18-46
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Timestamp: 15:55 BST
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/Trav ... ?entry=ttu

It's day 1 of the challenge, and our unlikely protagonists line up on the start line with balaclavas and a stolen Boris bus. The official starting the race mutters something, causing a wave of nervousness to wash over the group like smog over the Brussels skyline. This soon turns to relief as no-one decides to ring the old bill. Our gang of ne'er-do-wells put it down to the organisers being Belgian.

The Prinsenvlag falls and the bus struggles to accelerate out of the parking lot. Undeterred, the group heads onto the N1 motorway as the rain begins to fall. The team follow another competitor - a C-class Merc - for a few hundred kilometers, before the unsettlingly-tall German driver pokes his head through the sunroof and roars off into the weather.

Of the four competitors aboard the bus, two set to work investigating the fittings in the back, whilst the third is upfront with the driver on lookout for would-be car jackers. As deterrent, they carry a Lee Enfield. A questionable choice of weapon, but one the group hopes can be explained away as a hunting rifle should there be any problems with the authorities. Failing that, there's a few thousand Rand in a strategic place under the dash to aid communication.

The light begins to fade before the storm, and our weary travellers pull the bus into the parking lot of the Travalia Guest Farm. A rota is swiftly established, with each team member spending a few hours awake on board the bus as sentry. Steve pulls the short straw and spends first shift aboard the Boris bus, as the rest head in to the hotel...
To be continued
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Pinkd56
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pinkd56 »

DAY ONE:
I rock up to the start line on the beautiful Cape of Good Hope after a number of days in luxury and finally get to see what I'm up against. I notice the handful of Mercedes vehicles, and commend them for choosing something that will be easy to find parts for in Africa. I'm particularly enamoured by the Mitsubishi Pajero, as it seems like one of the few actually sensible cars for this trip. A Toyota Supra rolls into the car park and I assumed it was a local, but some mental Canadian steps out. I fear for their life. I receive the transponder from the organiser in their Police-esque Chevy, and get on the road once I get past an obnoxious bus in the entrance. Who parked this coach here?

A small convoy of us head around the base of Table Mountain and cruise along the highways through Cape Town. One of the clapped out Mercs takes a sudden exit into a Woolworth's - I didn't know they still had them here? Perhaps they needed some Pic N' Mix!

As I head North, I notice the Supra following me. I feel an obligation to stay close, because it would be crap for them to have to abandon the journey so early. Many hours pass and the Supra pulls off in Springbok, while I have a booking at a hiking lodge in the more northerly town of Steinkopf. As I'm topping up for fuel at the Steinkopf exit, I see that clapped out Merc hauling ass towards the Namibian border. I'm not sure where on earth he'll be staying.

I check into the lodge and it appears there's a large group of Czech motorcross riders in at the same time. They wish me well.

Tomorrow? Namibia!

START: Parking lot, Cape Peninsula, Cape Town, South Africa

FINISH: Hollywood Lodge and Green Jewel adventures, 30 Hall St, Steinkopf, 8244, South Africa

TIME ELAPSED: 7h35m
DISTANCE: 667km
Last edited by Pinkd56 on 08 Apr 2024, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
Loadsamoney

Post by Loadsamoney »

bathplug YEAH MONSTER TRUCKS: Log 001

The journey begins in the same random place as the rest of this lot. I decided I wanted to go to a race track or two while we could because otherwise this’ll get boring quickly so headed off for the one nearest to us. It doesn’t take much longer before I realise I am pretty much the only guy going directly east… have I shat the bed?

Whatever, on our way to the Prince George Circuit in East London or something. Coasthuggers 4 Life baby. Kyalami is for nerds. We have stopped at some bloody country lodge, don’t bother pronouncing its name becuase you just can’t. Thinking about picking some bloke up from there and takin em with me on this journey. I doubt anyone will accept, but it’ll make the trip less boring.

Have we run anybody over yet without knowing? Shockingly, we haven’t. I don’t think the police took too kindly to our monster truck antics however. Wouldn’t be surprised if it showed up in a newspaper that we are in trouble with… uhhhhhhh… the government? The local police? The… medieval reenactment fellas? I really don’t know. Also it was raining. How am I alive?
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

April 8th
The starting line was upon them. Yulia's carefree attitude had been a breath of fresh air compared to the more broey competitive nature of the De Bock brothers on previous attempts, and the development of one leg taking place over two days with driving theoretically possible at any point was another contributing factor. Of course the starting line was still a communal experience, but stops for food could be taken 'for free', effectively allowing you to clock out mid-leg and back in after a break. The night before, Tom and Yulia opted for a seafood platter at the nearby Two Oceans restaurant (1300 rand), a decision that surely neither of them would come to regret.

The starting line was the first opportunity to take stock of the competition, and for quite a few of them, the last opportunity. Some were expected: suitable 4x4 fare, some more low-budget options that should prove simpler to maintain over the coming thousands of miles. Some were rusty. Some were weirdly political buses. Given the size of the playing field, no one expected the competition to be cut-throat, and though the competition was rather more eclectic than your average car meet, the shared objective and very strange kind of drive required for the job ahead made for a heart-warming occasion. For a few minutes.

The rain started a few minutes before the official start was given, and only intensified. Received wisdom is that you want to get ahead of the worst of the weather, so at the stroke of 9am, all contenders pulled away from the car park at one end of the world, towards the car park at the other end of the world.

No one could ever be caught accusing the organisers of picking a dull starting point, as the initial kilometres were done with Table Mountain facing all comers. Aside from a curious diversion on the exit of the national park where some went left and others right (rejoining each other with little to separate them just past Simon's Town), the drive to central Cape Town was trouble free until it suddenly wasn't.

Rainfall tends not to help with traffic, and this was Tom and Yulia's ace in the hole. Winding past Newlands Forest and the University into the heart of the city, the radio began reporting some disturbances on the road. The way north was most affected, but the roads out east weren't spared either. Taking a tactical gamble, they decided to stop for food early, but no suitable place off the road would manifest until the crucial junction 13. There, a solid half of the contenders split off and headed north on the N7, the tell-tale sign that they were opting for the theoretically shorter way to Norway, straight up the west coast of the continent.

The Land Rover kept the course on the N1, straight east. And almost immediately stopped and clocked out.

Taking their time with a perfectly functional McDonald's breakfast (50 rand each), the plan was clear. "We know the roads are completely bathplugged all the way to Kimberley", says Tom, knowing Yulia knew it too. She concurred: "if the rain is going to last, we may as well wait for all the accidents and closures to clear up, let everyone get the message it's not worth the trip, and benefit from the clearer roads?"

Lo and behold, their lunch break turned into a break for general supplies, anything that would pass the time for a couple of hours until it would be time to leave. There were still remnants of the heavy traffic and closed lanes that were raging earlier in the day, and which they hoped other team had borne the worst of. Kraaifontein passed by, Cape Town was now behind them, and the open road the only thing ahead. Well, aside from Exotic Animal World, which the animal lovers had to be very strong to avoid stopping at. There were some moments of slow-down outside of Paarl and Worcester before the climb up the Hex River Mountains that presaged the arrival of the never-ending bush they would have to get used to for the following weeks.

Laingsburg and Beaufort West were other sticking points, with poor road conditions making them consider their alternate end point, but once the town of Three Sisters was reached, no further issues appeared. Britstown fell upon them with just enough time to spare, and therefore they powered on the last remaining 15 minutes to check in at the Kambro Farmstall with only a minute left on the clock. Checking the map of other teams was a relief: most had gone north, with only a couple heading east. Curiously, no one appeared to be on their heading. Whether good or bad, it certainly seemed to be an omen.

Cape of Good Hope to Kambro Accommodation and Farmstall Britstown

8h59 at time of checking, 11:30pm UK time
781km
1400 rand

NickyDustyOwl

Kondo's Bizzare Adventure Part One

Post by NickyDustyOwl »

[March 25th]

Greetings to whoever comes across this! My name is Kondo Chukwunyelu. I am a native of Burundi, Age 22. I have worked on cars for the past couple of years, but there's only so much you can do in Burundi and once I saw this point to point race, I saw this as an opportunity to showcase to many what I am capable of!

Deciding what to use was a bit of task as per usual. In the end, I chose a 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser 70. There are so many Toyota's in Burundi you wouldn't believe it. But that makes changing anything a bit easy! This car was meant to be durable and handle tough conditions which is why I chose it. Not much modifying to do.

Before I left for South Africa. I spent my last few days with my family and people. They were of course a bit scared, but I assured them that i would be back. That's what Kondo does!

With the two spare tyres packed, plenty of gas, and a heart full of a determination, I set off for the rainbow nation...

[April 1st]

I've made it in one piece! The car is mostly alright but those two spare tyres are gone. They weren't meant to be use for the ride to South Africa, but I encountered some troubles that forced me to use them. The rear left wheel is misaligned which caused some wandering. This should be a easy fix. The gas tank had a puncture in it. I hope the alumininum I quickly welded will hold up. Other than that, the car still drives good! Now its time to fix that up, rest, and explore this beautiful Cape Town.

[April 7th, eve of the beginning]

Well, I have restocked on everything I can. The tyres were not able to be found, so I will have to repair the punctured tyres to work as backups.

So this is it. South Africa to Norway. I will see so much of the world I have yet to see! Here's how I will start my stint tomorrow:

I will make my way from the starting point all the way to the Steenbok Guesthouse. It looks like a nice resting place for a bit. I'll eat, sleep, and then afterwards make my way into Botswana! I'm not sure how my car compares to everyone elses. Its definitely outweighed to that massive bus someone has brought. I'm not sure why anyone would think of that!

Timestamp: 9th of April, 2:14PM EST
Last edited by NickyDustyOwl on 09 Apr 2024, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
DigitDan7

Post by DigitDan7 »

Passport? Check. Phone? Check. Nintendo Switch? Check. Insulin bag? Check.

I guess I should introduce myself. Hello, my name is Mateo Machado Barrows & a couple of weeks ago, I received an email looking for entries for a navigation race from South Africa to Norway. As a fan of Jet Lag The Game & Race Across The World, this intrigued me & I signed up. So here I am, waiting for my flight to Cape Town & about to set on quite the adventure. Let's see how it goes!

The next day:
Okay, FINALLY at Cape Town after a very long flight. Once I landed, I grabbed a taxi & went to WeBuyCars Brackenfell to pick up my car. I gave myself 5000 Euros/100000 Rand to buy a car & I found quite the steal. A 2014 Volvo S60 T3 Elite with 140000km & a manual transmission for just 69900 Rand! I'm pretty sure it's lacking its South African ITV, hence the price, so I'll have to check up on that, plus do any other prep work for the race.

April 8th, Race Day:
All right, the Volvo's road worthy & I have plenty of supplies for the trip. With that, I've done everything I needed to do before the race & I'm ready to go!

Is what I would say, were it not for the bloody note.

No joke, on day 2 in Cape Town, it just showed up in my hotel room. Yet to figure out how or why it got there, but it says:
Hi Mateo, sorry if this is sudden, but my girlfriend and I will be joining you on this race. We felt like going on an adventure & thought you might appreciate the company. See you on race day!
There is SO MUCH wrong with this note, yet I feel compelled to trust it & it's driving me crazy. Sadly, that mystery's going unsolved, since we have a race to start.

Speaking of, let's size up the competition. I see a Ford Bantam, a Land Rover Discovery, a very old Volvo, a junker Supra & the... stolen... Brexit bus.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

As I get ready for the race start, I'm greeted by the race organizer herself, Nessa!

NESSA: So, you feel confident about your chances, Mateo?
MATEO: I feel confident, since my car's on the newer side. But honestly, I'm just here for a good time.
NESSA: Neat. But, um, where are your friends?
MATEO: Huh?
NESSA: I got a call from a lady saying her & her gf would be joining you.
MATEO: Well, that wasn't the plan, but I got a random note saying something similar...
???: Sorry for being late, we got caught up with the preparations.

Not sure what I was expecting when I turned around, but it wasn't THIS.

Kinnikuniverse

Post by Kinnikuniverse »

Cape town-norway rally. Day 1

Welp, this is it. After packing up my belongings: my nintendo switch, my food and water bottles and a spare tank of fuel and tire in the trunk, i was ready to go.

I headed out with my Supra to the starting spot, where i met a few decent chaps from around the world and...wait, is that a bus? Hold on, what the bathplug is a Monster Truck doing here? Is that even legal?

Anyways, after receiving the instructions from the organisers, i checked my route and the hotel i am staying in...well, okay, its more a sort of tiny motel, but hey, it only cost 22 bucks for the night! After the clock struck 9, i went off, heading out west along the coast line so as to avoid most of the contestants.

I stopped for a little bit in Cape Town in order to have breakfast ina  sweet ass restaurant called BUTTER. Those blueberry pancakes are delicious!

After that breakfast, i went back on the road. God, that supra is great! It might be old, but it still got some juice in the tank! As i drove along the coast line, i admired the sights of the ocean and the beaches to my left. South Africa is beautiful, man. I saw in the distance a tiny archipel named Robben Island. So sweet of them, naming it after the Bayern Munich legend.

Near Jakkalsfontein, i even saw a couple of Ostriches all floundering around the beach, looking at my ride. Why are they looking at my supra like that? They must be in awe of the glorious nippon engineering.

I continued onward past Veldriff, a nice little port town with lots of beautiful fishing boats and a large gathering of seagulls, and heading towards Lambert's bay, named after the great french-american star of Highlander, where i cut inside towards the right to take the main highway. The rain made it hard for me to go fast, so to pass the time, i drank some water and turned on the radio, hearing a mix of some weird music in dutch along with typical hits that i'm familiar with along with chatter in both dutch and english. The landscape started being more and more desertic. Its like i'm in mad max or something, except more civilised with more cars on the road.

As i continued traveling and ate a big ass carrot due to being hungry, i saw many different animals on the road. From the typical springboks to rodents and wandering coyotes. Its great to see those animals being just as brave in the rain as yours truly, unstopable in the legendary Supra.

Heading into the mountains, i got closer and closer to my destination, Springbok. This town has some interesting tidbits, such as a surprising ampunt of flora, especially for a town in the middle of the desert. I managed to stop a little bit so as to fill up the gas tank for tomorrow and also to visit a little bit, witnessing what the locals call Monument Koppie, a small hill in the town centre, as well as the Goegap nature reserve, where i saw some of the local wildlife such as Springboks, some large Antelope and a weird little doggy that looks like a hyena, that the loacls call a Aardwolf. Named after the force push spell from the Witcher games, surely.

Finally, i ended up at my destination: the Morewag Farm guest house. I'll admit, after reading the name, the idea of sleeping near cow shite and having a rooster wake me up didn't make for the most compelling idea, but upon looking at the images, it looked like a cozy enough place to stay for the night. Thamlfully, the reception spoke in english, and after i paid the 22$, she walked me to my guest house. It was white and tiny, so i didn't expect much.

Upon entering, though, it was...well, it was a tiny house, but it was good enough. There was a kitchen, a bathtub (thank god) as well as three bedrooms, including 1 double bed. Welp, that's an easy choice for me! After watching the Currie Cup rugby game
On TV for the night, i ate a Sandwich with some Asparagus and called it a day.

All in all, it wasn't that bad for a first day. I've heard Namibia nearby is a safe place, although apparently, some farmers strike just like back home was happening. Oh well, i'll just have to say "So-So-So, Solidarity!" And they won't cause me trouble.

to be continued...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Leg 1: Cape of Good Hope Parking Lot -> Richmond, Northern Cape, South Africa
8h 45 min at 19:51 (UTC+3)
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Forti

Navigation Challenge III - TBA's Day 1

Post by Forti »

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/-34.357 ... ?entry=ttu

The Drivers' Journal - by Monika Flater and James Wilmington
Holy bathplug, we did the motorsport equivalent of overdressing for an occasion. We had full-blown racing gear and a proper liveried vehicle.
In comparison to our competition...
- Sensible challengers like an Isuzu Frontier, Toyota Land Cruiser, Land Rover Discovery, and a Volvo S60
- Some gold-yet-old competitors like the Volvo 144, Mercedes E-Class, and Honda Ballade
- A beat-up Toyota Supra
- A Ford Fiesta converted into a ute
- A veggie oil-powered Mercedes
- A literal monster truck
- A Brexit bus that somehow ended up here
That, and we're practically the most famous people involved in this, ARWS-licensed drivers and all. Most were just local cricket gamblers with nothing better to do or general travel lovers. Apparently Nigel Mansell and Michael Palin of all people along with a documentary crew were supposed to turn up, but we didn't see a trace of them at the start line.

James' Stint
So why in Jamie and Enoch's name didn't Old Man Anzungolst enter us into the actual Dakar- oh yeah, that note he left us. Said it was an affordable "team-building exercise" that TBA's ARWS budget could go towards since that series has vanished once more. Our Pajero cost like 3k anyway, at what level could that be professional? Life GP? Dywa? We also have no races scheduled elsewhere until the summer, so this would be fun stuff to keep us occupied.

I took up driving duties in the first half. The organizers told us "go go go!" and out of the parking lot I went. In this first stretch, I had to strike a fine balance between "POWERRRR! SPEEED AND POWERRRRR!", obeying South African traffic laws, driving economically, and avoiding being squashed by that one bloke's monster truck. This was a race, and a rainy one at that, so no time for sightseeing. That could've distracted some of our travel lovers. Didn't the monster truck guy say he was going to check out the Prince George circuit? I wouldn't call that a competitive move.

Monika's Stint
I took over driving after a late lunch of some food we packed in the Pajero. By this point the competition had all diverged in their routes, but we still ate at a somewhat quick pace for the sake of driving time. We were being monitored by the series runners, after all. Had to stay within the time limit or get penalties. It was for that reason that we stopped at Die Houthoop outside of the little town of Kleinsee. A bummer considering that the Crazy Crayfish Diner (https://maps.app.goo.gl/UiPFrfzrMJA1i1Qq7) over there seemed like a tasty dinner. Perhaps we'll go there for breakfast in the morning. Die Houthoop turned out to be a great rest stop though. Our driving was done, so we didn't have to rush our meal this time. Watched some YouTube videos about the demise of the ARWS for giggles and went to bed.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Route for Day One. The stopping point for the end of the day is Aandrus Guesthouse, in Richmond, Northern Cape. A writeup will follow in the morrow.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
DigitDan7

Post by DigitDan7 »

Day 1: And Away We Go!

MATEO: Still can't believe I'll be driving from South Africa to Norway with my Priconne crackpair, of all people.
AMETH: And yet, we might not be the weirdest team.
ERIS: That's either the truck, or the bus.
MATEO: Now before anything else, imma set one very important rule.
MATEO: NO. DIVINE. BS.
MATEO: Nessa's been rather kind letting you compete at all & I'm not interested in an unfair advantage.
MATEO: Any chicanery & I leave you both on the side of the road.
AMETH: Got it.
ERIS: Understood.

ROUTE:

Start: Kaap de Goede Hoop parking lot, near Cape Town, South Africa
End: Vioolsdrift Lodge, Vioolsdrif, South Africa
Distance: 735km
Time: 7h 40min (+2h delay)
Recorded at: 22:49, 09/04/2024

Countries: South Africa

Locale of the Day: Knersvlate Nature Reserve

AMETH: Wow, look at all those plants!
MATEO: Hey, at least something benefits from all this rain. Even if it has slowed us down.
ERIS: It says here that this area houses 1500 species of plants, of which 190 are endemic.
MATEO: No wonder it's a national park.
ERIS: Also, I have to ask. What's with the mini fridge filled with Rubro, whatever that is?
MATEO: I need low sugar options & I don't like my chances of finding them in short notice. Plus I really like iced tea.

At Vioolsdrif:
MATEO: Okay, day one is done!
ERIS: Did we see that rusty Mercedes before?
AMETH: Yes, it's one of our competitors.
MATEO: Okay then, let's grab dinner & then hit the hay, we've got a long day tomorrow.
Last edited by DigitDan7 on 11 Apr 2024, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

What have i gotten myself into? Organising a cross-continental race in Africa of all places? I was afraid nobody would show up, but at the starting line i saw no less than 15 other vehicles. Well calling the Supra a vehicle is a bit of a stretch. And wait, is that.... the Brexit-bus? How even??? I swore i saw a report of a bus being stolen from a local scrap dealer... must be my imagination. And is that a monstertruck? That can't be legal. Unfortunately, despite me buying a police car, i'm no actual police officer so i can't do anything about it. We'll leave this things up to the authority of the countries they pass trough, i'm sure they'll be treated fair and square.

Bit by bit, cars started to depart for their route, as suddenly 2 whinging brits step out of the bushes? Wait is that Michael Palin with en elderly fan? Nice to see some tv coverage! I wish them all godspeed, as i hope everyone makes it to Norway.

Everyone took their transponder so i could see the routes they went. Around Cape Town their tactics started to diversify, theres a big group that went for the Namibian border, but a second group was also clear heading in a more easterly direction, most likely going to Lesotho. 2 routes stood out to me, the Monster Truck was hugging the coastline, and a Land Cruiser was heading directly trough the steppe. We expect some further differences tomorrow.

As we are waiting for the last person to clock in their destination, we are getting ready to depart ourself, But we can't leave yet, as with all the acces to information we got, i'd be unfair to start without a handicap. Our police car we came across was nice car, but we also bought an all-purpose trailer, because we want to be prepared as much as possible.

If we take a look at other standings, , the least km's are obviously covered by us, as we haven't driven yet, but it was quite a surprise to see the Brexit bus leading the actual standings there.

When it came to countries covered.... yeah not much happened here, we're all still in South Africa.

The daily points standings (most km's covered in one day) currently look like this:

Rob Dylan 25
TommyKl 18
Aislabie 15
Girry 12
Shadaza 10
DigitDan7 8
Loadsamoney 6
Nuppiz 4
Frogfoot9013 2
Forti 1

Quite a good distance covered by Michael Palin and his elderly fan. Thomas De Bock, a veteran in this race, unsurprisingly also gets a good distance covered. Whilst the Ford Ka is doing quite well. There was also a tie for the fourth place, we allocated points based on who arrived thre first

With that said, let's see the rng's for tomorrow.

South Africa
Weather (% rain)
100% west - no rng needed, You lose 2 hours. Participants close to the Namibian border only lose 5 minutes
90% east
Lucky bastards, only some slight drizzle, you lose merely 15 mins.
Well a bit less lucky then, local protesters will deflate your tyres, Some of you have to find a tyre shop as soon as you can and stop there for 30 mins!
second RNG: 4 , 4 people will be affected
Third RNG: Starting numbers 9, 7, 2 and 12 will be affected! Check your starting number in the first forum post. That means @Klon, @Forti, @TommyKL and @Loadsofmoney

Lesotho
92, the clouds look very, very threatening, but it remains dry.
26, people have been too anxious about the weather to bother some weird white dudes.

Eswatini
Weather (% rain) 90%
92% Same story as Lesotho
71 People in Eswatini have other issues on their mind.

Namibia
Weather (% rain) 0% - no rng needed
4, the farmer protests are still going, you'll lose 30 mins.

Botswana
72%, if you make it this far, no luck for you then, you lose 1 hour and 30 mins.
62, people are too busy taking shelter.

Zimbabwe
Weather (% rain) 10%
35, some nice fluffy clouds, that's all.
1 People will keep bothering you to buy useless shite. You buy a cursed, oversized amulet to make them leave you alone, you've lost 30 minutes time with haggling. Might come back to haunt you.

Mozambique
Weather (% rain) 70%
27 It rains, but nothing too heavy, you lose 30 mins.
26, they were defenitely thinking about doing something to you, but decided it wasn't worth it. They might come back tomorrow though.

Angola
Weather (% rain) 20%, more than 30°C
34, it's dry, but it is pretty warm, be sure to stop at least twice to day to buy additional drinks, you only lose as much time as the detour takes you.
90, You'll have a fairly boring ride trough Angola

Zambia
Weather (% rain) 20%
38, it's defenitely cloudy out there, but it will remain dry.
78, people are living their life.

@NickyDustyOwl will need to get a box of chocolates somewhere.

@Shadaza and @Girry @Digitdan sleep in the same hotel, rng exhaustion level chance: 17%
Rng exhaustion level: 31, mildly annoyed, but they manage to get in their car on time.

@Loadsamoney monster truck rng for damage
Chance of hitting something rng: 2%
Rng results : 86 Manages to avoid obstacles.

@Pastamaldonado leave bus rng for getting stuck somewhere
Chance of getting stuck rng 36%
Rng results 10, Bus will get stuck
Rng of time lost: 54 minutes lost.
Pastamaldonado leave bus rng for angry British tourists being attracted: 9% chance
Results: 7%, your bus gets now pissed all over, which will certainly not make your journey more enjoyable

Day 2 is open, you have time until 23:59, April 11th, GMT+1
Last edited by Nessafox on 09 Apr 2024, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.