Alpine Taking on Famous Investors

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Row Man Gross-Gene

Alpine Taking on Famous Investors

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Interesting news out of the F1 world:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... ne-f1-team

Ryan Reynolds, Rob McElhenney, and Michael B. Jordan buying a 24% stake in Alpine. Interesting I think. The first two were pretty successful buying the Wrexham football club. I'll be honest, I don't think an F1 investment is going to go as well as their football one did. But we'll see.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Alpine Taking on Famous Investors

Post by Wallio »

I used to like Ryan Reynolds, but his insistence on butting into things he knows nothing about irks me. A minor league soccer team is one thing, but a cell phone for low-income families? A really really crappy gin? The Ottawa Senators? (thankfully he was outbid), now Alpine? The dude will put his name on anything. Reminds me of Gene Simmons.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Row Man Gross-Gene

It's funny because Alpine is the least interesting choice they could have made in my opinion. Partly it's because they're such minority shareholders that they certainly won't have sufficient voting rights to influence the team. But also, the team just leaves me slightly bored as they say.

If they had joined a consortium in buying Haas outright? That's interesting. And I'd say the same for basically every other lower-midfield team. But Alpine is just too professional a unit with too much backing. I don't know how fun this will end up. I do know we'll see more celebrity shots of these guys at some races. Oh well.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Yeah, I'm guessing it's more of a safe investment than a publicity stunt. I can't imagine anyone gets excited about Alpine full-stop, and Reynolds pumping money into shareholders is probably just a guaranteed ROI for the next couple of years while the F1 money well runs deep.

Though I do agree, Ryan Reynolds standing next to Gunther Steiner would really have been a sight to behold. The amount of nonsense that could have sprung from the carney mediocrity of Haas when they would have had the dilettantish observation of Ryan Reynolds helping to dictate team policy :badoer:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Row Man Gross-Gene

Rob Dylan wrote: 29 Jun 2023, 07:22 Yeah, I'm guessing it's more of a safe investment than a publicity stunt. I can't imagine anyone gets excited about Alpine full-stop, and Reynolds pumping money into shareholders is probably just a guaranteed ROI for the next couple of years while the F1 money well runs deep.

Though I do agree, Ryan Reynolds standing next to Gunther Steiner would really have been a sight to behold. The amount of nonsense that could have sprung from the carney mediocrity of Haas when they would have had the dilettantish observation of Ryan Reynolds helping to dictate team policy :badoer:
Steiner and Reynolds would be like Rip Torn and Vince Vaughn in Dodgeball! Yes, what they're doing is a safer investment...pity.

-Jamie McGregor