McLaren
8%
Nicholas Latifi
15%

Total votes: 26

Londoner

Reject of the Race - Belgium 2022

Post by Londoner »

1. Lewis Hamilton. A young driver squeezing another car into Les Combes on lap 1 would be laughed off as a silly rookie error. For statistically the most successful driver in F1 history to do it is utterly baffling. Great way to end the last 100% finishing record this season, Lewis.

2. Nicholas Latifi. Driving like a man who knows his F1 career has at most only eight races to go.

Honourable mentions to Daniel Ricciardo and Mick Schumacher, both of whom are deservedly heading for the F1 exit door on the basis of their performance this season.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ciaran

Re: Reject of the Race - Belgium 2022

Post by Ciaran »

1. Daniel Ricciardo, yet another anonymous showing. Oh well, I'm sure that McLaren payoff can buy him an Indycar seat next year.
  2. Ferrari, for letting yet another win slip with another idiotic strategy, culminating in misjudging Leclerc's gap to Alonso before bringing him in for a fastest lap attempt.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Charles Leclerc:
  • Pits for fastest lap when 22 seconds ahead of Alonso
  • Ends up fighting Alonso out of the pitlane
  • Doesn't get fastest lap
  • Gets a 5 second penalty for speeding (when parking after passing the chequered flag?)
  • His time penalty drops him behind Alonso in the final classification.
Last edited by Fetzie on 28 Aug 2022, 14:45, edited 2 times in total.
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Lewis Hamilton: A clumsy, race-ending move from a driver that really should know better.

2) Nicholas Latifi: Now that Mazepin's gone, Latifi's incompetence behind the wheel of the Williams is thrown into the spotlight.

Dishonourable Mentions: Daniel Ricciardo, Ferrari, Mick Schumacher.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

1. Lewis Hamilton - rookie mistake but at least he accepted... sort of... he got it wrong.

2. Ferrari - on plan D by lap 17. Leclerc handed a 5 second penalty for speeding in the pits after going for FL on the last lap. Failed to get it and lost 5th place in completely meaningless fashion.

3. McLaren - screwed Ricciardo by extending the pit window which allowed several cars to undercut him. He's a dead man walking there so maybe they don't care anymore.
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Can i just say Ferrari? I didn't want to nominate them once again, but what they did with Leclerc was complete insanity. Dishonorable mention to Hamilton for a rare error.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1. Lewis Hamilton. Stupid Move on Alonso and closed the door on the outside, causing Alonso to crash into him. And only took himself out.

2 Charles Leclerc. Just for the FL disaster. Sped in the pitlane then ended up behind Alonso and had to overtake him to get back up to 5th, didn't get the FL and then was dropped down back to 6th. Sums up Ferrari's day.

Hm- Latifi. Hit Bottas and took him out (on his Birthday) and finished behind Schumacher.

Hm Mick Schumacher. I'm not saying that the Haas was any good this weekend. But blinking heck he was slow. Gio is eying up that seat...

Hm Danny Ric. His phone has bring ringing with offers. I think those phone calls may decrease after this race.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
IceG

Post by IceG »

(2) I was going to give it to Hamilton for doing to Alonso what I thought Alonso was going to do to him (my apologies to Fernando) until...

(1) The Ferrari strategists once again manage to throw points away at the last moment by going for the fastest lap and letting Alonso through, with Leclerc culpable for the pitlane speeding penalty.
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

Ferrari's Attempt to get Fastest Lap - I mean c'mon now. Not only do you WILLINGLY risk losing 6th place for this, you actually do lose 6th place due to Leclerc speeding in the pitlane. You cant make this shite up. Also it was by 1kph. ONE.

Lewis Hamilton - Clumsy move that a 7 time world champion really shouldn't be doing at this point in his career. Also for getting a warning for not visiting the medical centre :P.

Honourable mentions to Latifi and Ricciardo for continuing to be bad.
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hermann95 »

Has to be Ferrari/Leclerc
HM: Lewis Hamilton
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I’m a firm believer that ROTR should be given, where possible, to the silliest thing going. That’s why, despite Hamilton’s best efforts to pick the award up with his clumsy lap 1 collision, it has to go to Ferrari and Leclerc. Since the fastest lap point was introduced, we’ve seen countless occasions where drivers in front running cars driving around by themselves have pitted for fresh rubber once they’re out of the window of the car behind in order to push for that fastest lap. Ferrari decided to eschew this by pitting Leclerc when Alonso was still in the time window behind to pass him. Foolhardy stuff. Never mind, with the tyre advantage Leclerc should make easy meat of him and then get the fastest lap. Except actually no, he was nowhere near the fastest lap. And technically no, while he did manage to pass Alonso on track, he got a silly penalty for speeding in the pit lane to demote him back behind Alonso. Superb stuff, nailed on ROTR in my eyes.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

We could start a new topic just for Ferrari - BOTR - Buffoonery Of The Race.
Oh and one for Haas for anonymity for their whole time in F1 - let's call it the Toyota Trophy.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Hamilton would have got it for me until the last lap until Leclerc completely made reject gold again.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Lewis Hamilton: Well who didn’t see that coming? It’s like he forgot Alonso was still there. A completely self-inflicted way to end his 100% finish record. Bonus points for refusing to attend the medical centre on his own accord

Charles Leclerc/Ferrari’s FL push: Another race and another way for Ferrari to look like clowns. While the push for an extra point was understandable Ferrari clearly never took the gap to Alonso into account and Leclerc rejoined behind. And then the driver didn’t come close to fastest lap, sped in the pitlane and lost 5th with a penalty anyway.

While that was bad enough I also think Leclerc himself deserves a mention because he didn’t exactly reign in his teammate or Russell once he got to 5th, If anything they pulled further away. We’ll never know what may have happened if he hadn’t had his early stop for damage but it wasn’t an overwhelming comeback.

Not going to mention the strategists because even a competent strategy team would have had no answer to Red Bull today

HM’s

Nicolas Latifi: Obliterated by Albon all weekend. I said at the start of the season that he was the weakest driver on the grid with no more Mazepin and it was brutally exposed again this weekend. Made a hash of passing Ocon and took birthday boy Bottas out. Get Sargent in that car next year.

McLaren: Maybe winning the battle with Piastri off track but on it they’re losing the war with Alpine for 4th overall. Expected Norris to do really well but he was going nowhere in traffic and what I thought was a reasonable day for Ricciardo was ruined by a duff strategy.

Haas: They were non-existent all weekend. Their biggest contribution was when Magnussen nearly got swiped by a celebrating Verstappen
Last edited by Alextrax52 on 28 Aug 2022, 19:07, edited 2 times in total.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

McLaren: Rubbish. 0 points.

Ferrari: Feel like a broken record nominating Ferrari, but these are supposed to be putting the challenge up to Max & Red Bull and they were nowhere near them. The failed FL attempt and pitlane speeding dropping Leclerc to 6th was just the icing on the cake.

Haas: Lastifi was the only thing between them and the back of the grid. Speaking of...

Lastifi: His team-mate qualified 6th and picked up a point. He did nothing except force Bottas off the road and into the gravel.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. The Fastest Lap Attempt by Charles Leclerc - While the ongoing Ferrari fiasco is turning sad, the fastest lap attempt was just hilarious. The type of shite the old website would just give ROTR on the spot.

2. Haas - Terrible outing.

3. Lewis Hamilton - Well, he correctly took the blame for his flying attempt, but that was still a clumsy error from him.

4. Nicholas Latifi - That spin... Lol-
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Wrong series I know, but NASCAR has powered into ROTR contention for letting the field race on at Daytona for a whole lap while it was raining. Suffice to say almost every car now has serious damage, and we're now in a situation where the 2nd placed driver in points is very likely not going to be permitted to compete for the championship. Absolute bullshite. :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

takagi_for_the_win wrote: 28 Aug 2022, 15:04 I’m a firm believer that ROTR should be given, where possible, to the silliest thing going. That’s why, it has to go to Ferrari and Leclerc.
Miguel98 wrote: 28 Aug 2022, 16:49 The Fastest Lap Attempt by Charles Leclerc - While the ongoing Ferrari fiasco is turning sad, the fastest lap attempt was just hilarious. The type of shite the old website would just give ROTR on the spot.
Basically what these guys said.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Batty

Post by Batty »

Charles hands down.

- Goes into the pit lane for softs for the FL
- Gets passed by Fernando
- Passes Fernando
- 6 tenths off Max's FL who was on the medium tire
- Gets a penalty for speeding in the pit lane
- Finishes 6th behind Fernando after penalty

Pure Rejectful
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

1. Lewis Hamilton - Fernando Alonso is right. What an idiot.
2. Ferrari - They've got one hand on ROTY pretty much.
dj_vicious

Post by dj_vicious »

Lots of ROTR options this week but I'll keep it down to two:

1. Ferrari on the Leclerc side: Bickering about strategy, only for the FL attempt to fail miserably, with no fastest lap, and a time penalty to boot. It is amazing to see an otherwise certain championship fall apart further and further each race weekend.

2. Hamilton. A silly move 'round the outside of Alonso resulting in retirement. Probably would have had a podium or 4th this race too. Wouldn't be ROTR worthy if it was a midfield driver or lower, but higher standards apply to the top guys.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

I know people like to pile on Hamilton whenever he shows the slightest vulnerability and some folk on this forum tend to be harder than him than what's probably fair (and I'm definitely guilty of this myself in the past so feel free to dismiss this as hypocrisy on my part), but I am very surprised at how many people have took to this rather than Nicholas Latifi's hapless moment when he spun on the gravel all by himself and ended up, indirectly, taking Bottas out. Hamilton's was a simple driving error which he quickly owned up to but Latifi's moment made both myself and my partner throw our hands up in dismay. Utterly hopeless. Solid 1 for ROTR, no contender in my opinion.

Ferrari and Leclerc definitely deserve a mention but I want to give a shoutout to DRS. This year, with the new regulations which have greatly improved the quality of the racing, we're obviously doing a "should we/shouldn't we" in regards to keeping DRS for 2023 and beyond. This race firmly belongs in the pile of "shouldn't" moments.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

As much as I like dumping on Lewis, it is once again:

Ferrari they simply cannot help themselves. I have a friend who got into F1 over COVID thanks to DTS, and he was baffled at how I "predicted" Ferrari falling apart earlier this year. So I sent him the 1979-2000 retrospective from the old site. He response? "You could probably write another one of these with the last few years."
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

noiceinmydrink wrote: 31 Aug 2022, 15:22 I know people like to pile on Hamilton whenever he shows the slightest vulnerability and some folk on this forum tend to be harder than him than what's probably fair (and I'm definitely guilty of this myself in the past so feel free to dismiss this as hypocrisy on my part), but I am very surprised at how many people have took to this rather than Nicholas Latifi's hapless moment when he spun on the gravel all by himself and ended up, indirectly, taking Bottas out. Hamilton's was a simple driving error which he quickly owned up to but Latifi's moment made both myself and my partner throw our hands up in dismay. Utterly hopeless. Solid 1 for ROTR, no contender in my opinion.
Actually yeah that's a fair point, I'd forgotten about how hapless Latifi's accident was. Threw it off the track by himself and took Bottas out in the process, scratch my nomination for Hamilton and replace it with Latifi.

Still maintain that the Ferrari/Leclerc bathplug-up should still be the prime nomination though, it has the pure reject essence that Jenoch would've loved.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

takagi_for_the_win wrote: 31 Aug 2022, 23:00 Actually yeah that's a fair point, I'd forgotten about how hapless Latifi's accident was. Threw it off the track by himself and took Bottas out in the process, scratch my nomination for Hamilton and replace it with Latifi.

Still maintain that the Ferrari/Leclerc bathplug should still be the prime nomination though, it has the pure reject essence that Jenoch would've loved.
As spectacularly rejectful as it was, I'm gonna put my hands up and say that I can't nominate them out of principle, as at the time I looked at the gap towards himself and Alonso and admittedly said something along the lines of "oh yeah he should totally do that". I do have the excuse that I'm not a paid strategy engineer at Ferrari who should know better but nevertheless I will take the L on this one.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

48 hours to vote for your Reject of the Race in Spa! Get your votes in before the upcoming race makes you forget last week's most rejectful moment. Poll at the top of this thread :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »