Top 6 best/worst F1 seasons

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Top 6 best/worst F1 seasons

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

Having been spending a lot of time watching old F1 races in lockdown :D I've come up with my list of my top 6 best and worst F1 seasons-put up your own too and we can argue about them. For me,any season where one team or driver completely dominates is a bad one,especially if there's not much action behind to get interested in.

Top 6 worst( knowol...chronol... in timey order)
1952:Each race.Ferrari wins.With Ascari.By a mile.Yawn
1969:Apart from Stewart winning his second championship by a mile,not much else to report. And for some reason this season the grids seem to shrink considerably.
1988:Each race.McLaren wins.Yawn. With the saving grace of Monza and the Senna-Prost feud to liven things up a little
1992:Each race.Williams wins.With Mansell.Yawn.Saved only by Andrea Moda's antics at the far end of the grid
2002:Each race.Ferrari wins.Yawn.Either boring or rigged.
2004:Each race.Ferrari wins.With Schumacher.By a mile.Yawn

Top 6 best(in timey order too)
1975:Unpredictable-plenty of new winners and eventful races to keep it livened up.
1976:So epic they made a film about it.
1982:A volatile season with 11 different winners,drama,tragedy and never knowing what would happen at each race.
1989:Huge grids,podiums for tiny teams,plenty of drama and controversy throughout the year
1990:Carrying on the good work of 1989
1994:A tragic season,a controversial championship,many driver changes and epic sub-plots along the way.
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
dr-baker

Re: Top 6 best/worst F1 seasons

Post by dr-baker »

1994 is both the worst season but also the best. Worst because of the injuries and deaths, but also the best because of all the drama and intrigue, plus so many reject drivers. It has has so many articles written about it, and is the subject of a book written by one of our very own forum members!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Myhamster, can you tell us what races you've watched that you have found interesting? I'd like to add anything worthwhile to my list.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I really like the 1985 & 1986 seasons for all the turbo goodness. The latter season also saw an epic battle for the WDC.

Also 1989 to 1991 seemed to have lots of back of the grid teams for us to enjoy.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

Choose any from 1989 or 1990 for an enjoyable experience.
If you like unexpected faces running at the top and some complete rejectworthiness may I suggest

1989 Canada-wet/dry race,featuring a great inter-team battle,lots of cars lying around the track and how not to start a race properly.
1995 Australia-last race at Adelaide,featuring a record attendance and how not to make a pit stop.
1993 Brazil-Senna's last home victory and a lesson in how to a) get round the first corner safely and b) how to cope with an unexpected downpour.
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Only going to pick ones that I actually witnessed. Plenty of interesting looking season in the 80s, for example, but I didn't see them.

6 Best:
1997 - Interesting battle for the WDC, McLaren starting to come back to the front, Benetton regularly on the podium, plus the occasional appearance from Jordan & Prost. Also Hill nearly won a GP in a truck.
1999 - Don't need to explain this, do I?
2000 - Imo, the only real even title fight Hakkinen and Schumacher had. In 1998 McLaren had a big pace advantage at the start of the season. 1999 Schumacher broke his leg, and then in 2001 Hakkinen's car kept breaking and he gave up.
2003 - 3 way title fight for most of the season.
2007 - Ditto. With Kimi stealing it at the last race.
2012 - 7 winners in the first 7 races. Red Bull, Ferrari, Lotus, Merc, McLaren and occasionally even Sauber all in the mix for podiums. Could go for some of that now.

6 worst:
Easy, Hamilton's 6 world titles.
j/k. You could probably put any six of the Vettel/Hamilton/Schumacherwinslol seasons here. So, pick 6: 1995, 2002, 2004, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2019.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

It's a great discussion topic, isnt it.

I'd nominate 1974 as in the best ( if not THE best ) - properly competitive with Brabham, Lotus, Tyrrell, Ferrari and McLaren winning multiple races, Ferrari having the fastest car ( but maybe not the most reliable) and the new star Lauda ( crashing out the lead in Canada) , and Scheckter fulfilling the potential glimpsed in 73. and podiums for Hesketh and Shadow and BRM .

And yes - 1992 was rubbish at the front - worse even than the 2002/04/13/14 years in terms of dominance (in my opinion) . But 92 did have some good stories in the midfield I suppose.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dr-baker wrote:1994 is both the worst season but also the best. Worst because of the injuries and deaths, but also the best because of all the drama and intrigue, plus so many reject drivers. It has has so many articles written about it, and is the subject of a book written by one of our very own forum members!

Nine unrejectifications that year too, even 1989 can't match that.

What amazes me is that with all the driver changes throughout the season, Pacific was one of only four teams to keep the same drivers all season. Tyrrell, Footwork and Minardi being the others.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

FullMetalJack wrote:What amazes me is that with all the driver changes throughout the season, Pacific was one of only four teams to keep the same drivers all season. Tyrrell, Footwork and Minardi being the others.

I too always find that to be an incredible fact.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA