A blueprint for the 2021 F1 car design

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
good_Ralf

A blueprint for the 2021 F1 car design

Post by good_Ralf »

Inb4 Ataxia posts his Autosport video explaining the car changes :P: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/f1-2021-auto-bilder-infos/

The article is in German, but here are some key aims, in addition to some which we are already aware of:

• The proportion of downforce that is lost when following another car is to fall from around 50% to less than 10%
  • The gap from the fastest to the slowest cars on the grid is to be halved
  • A small fender is to cover each front wheel
  • A ban on hydraulic suspension, expensive materials and tyre blankets
  • Specification parts, including gasoline pumps, wheel hubs/nuts, steering wheel/column, Halo, accelerator/brake pedals and DRS mechanism
  • No major change to the current engines/power units
  • And last but certainly not least, a return to ground effect, a different and safer design to the one used in the late 70s/early 80s

With the last point, it appears that the goal is for the turbulent air is to be deflected upwards and overall in a controlled manner.

I'm sure not everything mentioned will go ahead, a lot of the targets set probably won't be entirely met, and some of this is inevitably going to be unpopular with a number of F1 fans. Still, I'm generally in favour of quite a few of these changes to the cars, especially with regards to the reintroduction of ground effect which will surely improve the chances for drivers to follow each other closely somewhat.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.