The Austrian GP

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Spectoremg

The Austrian GP

Post by Spectoremg »

Just to get the ball rolling.
An extremely picturesque track. That's all I have to say.
UncreativeUsername37

Re: The Austrian GP

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I forgot Friday had already happened, I need to watch it! So many races on top of two World Cups to watch....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

So Vettel out in Q3 with a pneumatics issue, will start 9th (Magnussen starts 10th due to a gearbox penalty) if they don't have to take the car out of Parc Fermé to fix it.

Hamilton might get a 3 place drop, depending on what mood the stewards are in.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Fetzie wrote:So Vettel out in Q3 with a pneumatics issue, will start 9th (Magnussen starts 10th due to a gearbox penalty) if they don't have to take the car out of Parc Fermé to fix it.

Hamilton might get a 3 place drop, depending on what mood the stewards are in.

(obligatory stewards would never penalise Hamilton comment)
#FreeGonzo
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Pretty fair, Lewis did have major brain fade there. It'd be the first time he's been totally self absorbed though :o
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

He'll be finishing in second then. :deletraz:
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Hamilton starts 4th because of Magnussen dropping to 10th from 5th.
Psyclepath

Post by Psyclepath »

Here's me hoping that Kimi gets a stonker off the line and leads into the first corner :)
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Bloody typical. The first non Mercedes win of the year and it's Max. Forgive me for not joining the whole of Sky F1 in jumping with excitement. And STILL he has a whinge about Leclerc trying to defend a lead he's had all race. Him and Lewis are as bad as each other. Oh well, off to the cricket to avoid the love-in then.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Gutted for Leclerc. But what a good race!
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Barbazza wrote:Bloody typical. The first non Mercedes win of the year and it's Max. Forgive me for not joining the whole of Sky F1 in jumping with excitement. And STILL he has a whinge about Leclerc trying to defend a lead he's had all race. Him and Lewis are as bad as each other. Oh well, off to the cricket to avoid the love-in then.

The stewards are looking at the contact between Verstappen and Leclerc at T3.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Oh sugar, stewards are investigating the contact between Verstappen and Leclerc. I don't think this sport could survive yet another result being taken away.

But seriously, as much as I dislike Verstappen, that drive he put in was the stuff of legends. We'll be talking about it 20 years from now.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Was it really that amazing? Good yes, but not sure I'll be talking about it in 20 years time. Gasly is doing a brilliant job of making him seem even better than he is, for a start (nice to see I was right about him being massively over-rated)

I doubt if the stewards will do anything. They certainly shouldn't, and I doubt if Charles would want his 1st win that way anyhow.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Yeah it was a good drive, but I don't know if it was one for the history books.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Leclerc didn't even open the champagne :badoer:
Samster

Post by Samster »

H'mm to be honest if Vettel and Ricciardo deserved penalties then surely Max does for that if we are being consistent? Certainly its worse than Vettel's 'forcing' of Lewis in Canada.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

You sure your day's not been made Barbazza?

Well the stewards must be a contender for our ROTY award now.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

That appears to be fake (or at least, unconfirmed): https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 9494924288
mario

Post by mario »

Fetzie wrote:That appears to be fake (or at least, unconfirmed): https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 9494924288

Yes, it is now confirmed that earlier notice was a fake notice and the stewards have decided that there will be no further action against Verstappen.

As others have noted, it sounds a lot as if the stewards were rather anxious about the possibility of a potential riot if they made any decision against Verstappen - I believe that Doornbos, in his role as a Dutch commentator, was calling for Verstappen's fans to tear the place down if they stewards dared to penalise Verstappen - which suggests they deliberately tried to hold off on when to make a decision to allow at least some of Verstappen's fans to leave, perhaps fearing what might happen if they had decided against him.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

mario wrote:As others have noted, it sounds a lot as if the stewards were rather anxious about the possibility of a potential riot if they made any decision against Verstappen - I believe that Doornbos, in his role as a Dutch commentator, was calling for Verstappen's fans to tear the place down if they stewards dared to penalise Verstappen - which suggests they deliberately tried to hold off on when to make a decision to allow at least some of Verstappen's fans to leave, perhaps fearing what might happen if they had decided against him.

I would've given Verstappen a penalty just for the heck of it then, announced with a megaphone and tell them to bring it. :geek:

Yes, I am a certified internet tough guy, why do you ask?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I thought the race was mostly boring, though it simmered nicely up until the end, and Verstappen vs Leclerc was a refreshing battle! Fantastic drive from Verstappen to bring it back, in the current year. That's probably going to be my comeback drive of the year award for this year.

But without that, really very little happened, and the race had little else to offer in terms of action after Norris and Räikkönen got overtaken.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Rob Dylan wrote:I thought the race was mostly boring, though it simmered nicely up until the end, and Verstappen vs Leclerc was a refreshing battle! Fantastic drive from Verstappen to bring it back, in the current year. That's probably going to be my comeback drive of the year award for this year.

But without that, really very little happened, and the race had little else to offer in terms of action after Norris and Räikkönen got overtaken.

I think that's quite true - I wasn't exactly glued to the action once Lando & Kimi's early run to the front ended. The way Crofty & Brundle were talking you would have thought we'd just seen the most spectacular race ever! Comparing it to the previous week's race is the very definition of setting an extremely low bar.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So basically a bunch of people probably voted Kubica on some forum ironically, and F1 didn't like it so they've changed the result.

Why do they even have this system in place when they'll overturn a result for someone if it's not an established top-six driver.

Haryanto's ten DOTD wins were a little absurd and very funny I admit, but in this instance, I'm a little bit skeptical that it was indeed a "technical error".
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!