Paul Ricard
35%
Pierre Gasly
41%

Total votes: 17

Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - France

Post by Londoner »

1. Pierre Gasly - Finishing outside the points in a Red Bull is unacceptable, whichever way you frame it.

2. Paul Ricard - An insipid, migraine-inducing mess of a circuit. Please can we never go here again.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Psyclepath

Re: Your Reject of the Race - France

Post by Psyclepath »

I picked Haas in my predicament predictions and I'm sticking with them. Utterly miserable weekend, they were the slowest cars beside the Williams and they suffered the only retirement all race. Grosjean was probably relieved when he no longer had to drive that heap.

Pierre Gasly - An unfavourable strategy cannot bely the fact he was absolutely nowhere, home race as well. After this race, I'd be surprised if Horner isn't considering dropping him at the summer break. A punt at Albon or re-signing Kvyat, even as a stop-gap measure, is surely more favourable than this?

Giovinazzi - Like Gasly, put on an unfavourable strategy. Finished 16th, his race was over as soon as his soft tyres couldn't hold.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1- Pierre Gasly 11th. In a Red Bull. I'm going to discuss Red Bull's options in another post but while his strategy was shot he should be beating all of Formula 1.5 not finishing behind two Mclaren's, Two Renault's and Kimi's Alfa Romeo

*Amendment. Gasly has scraped 10th place because of Riccardo's Penalty. Still, 10th is still shocking though.

2- Hass another totally miserable weekend for them. Grosjean had the only DNF of the weekend, they had no pace and whenever they came on the pit radio the drivers were whinging all the time. Just turn the radios off and put the pit boards out (unless there is an emergency of course)
Last edited by rachel1990 on 23 Jun 2019, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Pierre Gasly is an easy choice for me. He has struggled all season, but I think this weekend was a new low for him. What the bathplug happened? :(
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Pierre Gasly. Where the ... was he?! Pootling along nearly 10km behind his team mate. Don't see him driving for a Red Bull team next year, unlikely to last past Belgium if Horner and Marko remain as ruthless as they have done in the past.

DHM: The race track (DRS zone way too long, and why can't they paint those retardation strips black instead of blue and red?)
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Unless he had some car problems which we didn't know about, it really has to be Mr Gas Leak. I can't think of the last time a Red Bull was outside the points purely on merit. Even Verstappen managed a beat a Ferrari!!

Next up is Haas for sure.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

Gunther Steiner flat out called this race the worst in Haas team history but Pierre Gasly takes my vote. He's been underperforming all season but I've run out of patience. I suspect Helmut Marko will soon too.

PS. The Paul Ricard astroturf run-offs is a Hall of Fame Reject-worthy stuff alone.
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

I'll nominate Daniel Ricciardo's penalty. The stewarts didn't have much of a choice after the precedent set two weeks ago, which is why I'm not nominating them. But if the rules result in such penalties, then the rules need to be changed.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Both Pierre Gasly and Antonio Giovinazzi by being embarrassingly behind their teammates.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

pi314159 wrote:I'll nominate Daniel Ricciardo's penalty. The stewarts didn't have much of a choice after the precedent set two weeks ago, which is why I'm not nominating them. But if the rules result in such penalties, then the rules need to be changed.

Besides, the driver in charge of hanging out those penalties was Yannick Dalmas, four-times Le Mans 24 Hours winner, but more importantly, AGS driver from 1989-90.

And, those blue stripes were described by the Glass Of Milk (at least, I think it was him... it must have been, I was somewhat switching off) as being "a bit like sandpaper". And we all know what happens when Australians play with sandpaper, don't we?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I've only this to offer:
I was only half listening to the bit where Haas told Grojean to retire. For a second my heart skipped a beat with joy. Then I realised they didn't mean permanently. Why is this man in F1?
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

dinizintheoven wrote:And we all know what happens when Australians play with sandpaper, don't we?

Oi! Err... I mean, I don’t know what you’re talking about?

Hides sandpaper in pants
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

FortiWinks wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:And we all know what happens when Australians play with sandpaper, don't we?

Hides sandpaper in pants

I sincerely hope we are not talking about The Human Caterpillar 2, a movie franchise I refuse to watch on principle.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

dr-baker wrote:
FortiWinks wrote:

Hides sandpaper in pants

I sincerely hope we are not talking about The Human Caterpillar 2, a movie franchise I refuse to watch on principle.

Nah we’re talking about a certain... ahem interesting tactic the Australian Cricket Team used recently.
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Spectoremg wrote:I've only this to offer:
I was only half listening to the bit where Haas told Grojean to retire. For a second my heart skipped a beat with joy. Then I realised they didn't mean permanently. Why is this man in F1?
I mean, it's a perfectly cromulent question :D

I for one assumed he wouldn't make it to 2019, never mind 2020. If things really are as sour at Haas as the media seems to portray it, the heads might just want to get two new drivers and start over from scratch as of next year. And by two new drivers I mean Esteban Gutierrez Gutierrez and, uh, Sirotkin or something.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

Is this the race to break the camel's back? Even Crofty and Brundle could barely maintain their well paid composure as Lewis brought it home again. Still I'm not going to harp on Mercedes for doing well.

Instead I'm going to focus all my ire on Gasly, you have been an absolute embarassment this entire season. At this point there is no excuse. How are you so slow?
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

The race as a whole. That was miserable. If the director had to cut to the Torro Rossos fighting for 15th and 16th, that tells you something.

Haas Had a stinker
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Between Haas and the broadcast director who on the last lap switched from Norris defending his position to Leclerc who was going on Bottas.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Rob Dylan wrote: And by two new drivers I mean Esteban Gutierrez Gutierrez and, uh, Sirotkin or something.

Alex Rossi's contract is up at the end of this year, and rumor is he's hesitant to resign. He also will most likely be IndyCar champ (which traditionally has been an instant Superlicense scenario). Throw all the money at him!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Gasly: No pace, a lap down and only scraped a point because the man he replaced was given 2 time penalties. All this in the 3rd fastest car on home turf

(And while not a nomination because it is a bit petty I do wish both Mercedes and The Media would stop pedalling “major difficulties” out. This week Autosport claimed Hamilton feared having a puncture for example. Add to that all the “we haven’t got the quickest car” nonsense. Just come out and say what we all know because we’re not daft.

That 2nd paragraph probably should be in Rantbox but there you go.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wallio wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote: And by two new drivers I mean Esteban Gutierrez Gutierrez and, uh, Sirotkin or something.

Alex Rossi's contract is up at the end of this year, and rumor is he's hesitant to resign. He also will most likely be IndyCar champ (which traditionally has been an instant Superlicense scenario). Throw all the money at him!

I think Josef Newgarden might have a thing or two to say about that.

From the IndyCar broadcast yesterday, it was reported that he's happy to stay with Andretti, who are (of course) very happy to keep him, they're all just waiting to see if NAPA will commit.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
mario

Post by mario »

Vassago wrote:Gunther Steiner flat out called this race the worst in Haas team history but Pierre Gasly takes my vote. He's been underperforming all season but I've run out of patience. I suspect Helmut Marko will soon too.

PS. The Paul Ricard astroturf run-offs is a Hall of Fame Reject-worthy stuff alone.

Over the past couple of races, his form has really slumped - to put it bluntly, he shouldn't have been two seconds a lap off his team mate (during his stint on the hard tyres, that was how far Gasly was off the pace at times) and struggling to catch midfield drivers in slower cars.

Between Canada and France, Gasly seems to have gone backwards recently - the main thing that might be saving him is the fact that there aren't many decent options for a replacement driver right now. I guess the other aspect is that, with Gasly being that far behind Verstappen, the team can probably focus more of their efforts onto Verstappen right now - there probably is a fair amount of that happening behind the scenes anyway, but Gasly's form right now would probably be doing little to dissuade Red Bull from doing otherwise.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

mario wrote:Between Canada and France, Gasly seems to have gone backwards recently - the main thing that might be saving him is the fact that there aren't many decent options for a replacement driver right now.

Yes, you're right. Ticktum isn't exactly covering himself in glory in Super Formula and apparently may not finish the season there:

https://www.autosport.com/other/news/14 ... rmula-seat

There is no one else in the Red Bull Junior Team with anywhere near enough superlicence points.
Red Bull would have to look outside of their drivers again.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Faustus wrote:There is no one else in the Red Bull Junior Team with anywhere near enough superlicence points.Red Bull would have to look outside of their drivers again.

Or give Kvyat another shot at RBR
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Pacific 777 wrote:
Faustus wrote:There is no one else in the Red Bull Junior Team with anywhere near enough superlicence points.Red Bull would have to look outside of their drivers again.

There is no one to take Kvyat’s place.
mario

Post by mario »

Faustus wrote:
Pacific 777 wrote:

There is no one to take Kvyat’s place.

Unless they were to take the option of promoting Kvyat to the parent team and demoting Gasly to Toro Rosso, which would have a certain irony to it.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Very late submitting this, sorry! Was out at a summer cabin drinking and watching movies all weekend. So although it's been a while since the race, let's see if you can remember what the most rejectful thing was at Paul Ricard. You have 48 hours :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

This is actually his first Reject of the Race this season, which comes to the writer as surprising, but it is quite clear that a new low was reached by Pierre Gasly at Paul Ricard. His home race, and regardless of circumstances, his pace has been so slow over this season that at his home race he finished 11th. He only earned a point with Ricciardo's penalties, and he should be thankful that he had that many points. It's good for our mid-field drivers taking those sixth-places, but it's not good for Red Bull and the management, and his contract is looking the least stable as of this summer.