Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Monaco

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 04 Jun 2019, 20:03

Carlos Sainz Jr.
7%
George Russell
20%
Toro Rosso
33%
Williams
40%

Total votes: 15

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Monaco

Post by Londoner »

1. Toro Rosso. That has to be their best team result since...I want to say 2015?

2. Williams. They were actually able to mix it a bit with the midfield. I know this seems like faint praise, but given how expectations are rock bottom for Grove, it's enough to mention.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Meatwad

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Monaco

Post by Meatwad »

I'm giving this to George Russell! :D 15th out of 19 finishers is an impressive result given the car Williams has this year. Honorable mention to Williams as a whole, as Kubica also avoided finishing last! 8-)
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

"...and the fastest car on track at the moment is George Russell, who's over a second quicker than the leaders!"

All right, so we knew it couldn't last and it was only while Lewis was driving like a granny (and I don't mean 67-year-old Michèle Mouton) trying to keep his tyres intact, but who expected that at any stage this season? It was also commented later in the race that baby-faced George was keeping in touch with the Renault sandwich while Kimi Räikkönen was holding them all up on shredded tyres (and "doing his usual Williams pace while the rest are driving much slower").

I still say Williams will finish the season on zero points, though - it will not change the derisory state of the car.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

1) Toro Rosso. Awesome performance by both drivers, the team that many thought would be down with Williams is proving a major threat in the midfield this year.

2) George Russell. Pulled far above his weight in the Williams, gave the team what will likely be their best shot for points this season.

Honorable Mentions:
Robert Kubica (Like his teammate he was putting the Williams above its class, a shame he got taken out by Gio)
Max Verstappen (Had the pace on Hamilton and put pressure on the usually calm Briton, but was a bit too aggressive and it cost him a podium finish with a time penalty)
Last edited by CaptainGetz12 on 26 May 2019, 19:01, edited 2 times in total.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:"...and the fastest car on track at the moment is George Russell, who's over a second quicker than the leaders!"

All right, so we knew it couldn't last and it was only while Lewis was driving like a granny (and I don't mean 67-year-old Michèle Mouton) trying to keep his tyres intact, but who expected that at any stage this season? It was also commented later in the race that baby-faced George was keeping in touch with the Renault sandwich while Kimi Räikkönen was holding them all up on shredded tyres (and "doing his usual Williams pace while the rest are driving much slower").

I still say Williams will finish the season on zero points, though - it will not change the derisory state of the car.

Well, unless we have a race with very heavy attrition, or somehow Williams manage some sort of miraculous recovery (yes, I know that's not likely), that looks fairly likely to happen. It does say a lot that the prospect of Williams just not finishing last is something that is worthy of celebration, but sadly that does look like the sort of minor achievements that Williams can hope for these days.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simon Pagenaud for thinking he was at Monaco instead of Indianapolis and pulled up onto the start line after winning the event. Like Jenson Button in Monaco in 2009 who tried to go to Victory Lane instead of the start line after winning Monaco.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
MatthewFirth

Post by MatthewFirth »

My two choices are:

Mercedes: For managing to keep Hamilton on the track despite his struggling tires
Williams: Basically managing to do better than their cars normally allow them to...
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

I think Sainz really put in an incredible effort, even if it doesn't much stand out.
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Toro Rosso.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Carlos Sainz
2. Toro Rosso
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Toro Rosso

Williams

HM for Leclerc's overtake; ruined by his later shenanigans
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And this poll is up too! You have 48 hours, good luck :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

It was a close run thing, but Williams, after showing the faintest inkling of pace after such a dreadful beginning to 2019, have won Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race! Both drivers had a little extra pace than normal, regardless of mishaps during the race, and the team got at least some reward for that from this website. Good job team! :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!