RIP Charlie Whiting

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Belegur

RIP Charlie Whiting

Post by Belegur »

Apparently, FIA race director Charlie Whiting has died suddenly, age 66

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14208 ... iting-dies.

Hell of a start to the Australian Grand Prix. 66 is far too early to go these days.
Londoner

Re: RIP Charlie Whiting

Post by Londoner »

Blimey. I'm surprised he was only 66, it seemed like he'd been there since the beginning of time itself. The F1 paddock's going to be a strange and poorer place without Charlie.

RIP. :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

Massive shock all round, we’ll miss you Charlie :cry:
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Very sad to hear about Whiting's sudden death. I know he had his critics on occasion, but I think overall in all his years as Race Director he was a very positive influence on the sport.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This is a massive shock for the sport. My Twitter feed this morning was full of news of his passing. So many members of the paddock and beyond wished to pay their respects. Nobody has a bad thing to say about him. He even seemed to approve of the Fake Charlie Whiting Twitter account. A quality guy.

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Unbelievable. My condolences to his family at this sudden passing. :cry:
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

It's a very sad loss for F1; always came across as a good man. Big shoes to fill for someone and less than 48 hours to make sure all his well-performed roles are adequately covered.

RIP Charlie, maybe some fishing with Sid and Ayrton?
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Massive loss to the F1 community. I guess it's time to see who will be the chosen one to succeed such a name as the Race Director.

Godspeed, Charlie.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
mario

Post by mario »

Paul Hayes wrote:Very sad to hear about Whiting's sudden death. I know he had his critics on occasion, but I think overall in all his years as Race Director he was a very positive influence on the sport.

It is one of those roles where you're going to be taking a lot of flack, since having to issue penalties is likely to antagonise somebody and you are in a role where people will be lobbying you to take harsher or more lenient action towards somebody else.

What is touching to hear are the personal stories too, particularly as it sounds as if he was a figure who was rather amicable and open with people - there have been fans who have talked about how he spared time to talk to them and give them feedback, or those first entering the paddock who found Whiting was willing to help out and introduce them to people. Even if there might have been a few clashes along the way, it sounds as if many of those in the paddock still had considerable affection for him.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

RIP. Terrible to hear.

Not a man that can be replaced easily either.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Read about this and was likewise surprised at how comparatively young he seemed at 66. He's been around throughout my whole lifetime, and he was almost integral to a race weekend. I do pity the person who has to step into his shoes, after the wonderful impact Charlie has had on the sport.

My condolences to his family, and all the people - there will be many - who knew him fondly.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

He was also a talented race mechanic hence why he worked his way up to chief mechanic at Brabham before becoming the FIA's technical delegate. RIP.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/