Your Reject of the Race - Belgium

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Belgium

Post by Londoner »

1. Sergio Perez - I'm at a loss of words here. Quite frankly that was inexcusable driving, obviously he's letting Ocon get to him. Personally I think Vince and Hunter need to book them in a Steel Cage match for the next Wrestlemania. :dance:

2. Kimi Raikkonen - Yeah, it definitely wasn't like there was marshalls trying to move Verstappen's stricken car at the fastest part of the circuit. Definitely not. :roll:
Last edited by Londoner on 27 Aug 2017, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
andrew

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Belgium

Post by andrew »

Perez: manages to make contact with his teammate twice, and cuts the corner to pass grosjean, this added in with his General over aggressiveness against Ocon recently.

Max's car: nothing to add really,
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

At the risk of being accused of singing when we're winning and trying to have a joke, I'm going to award ten points to Sergio Pérez and six points to Lewis Hamilton's optician for much the same reason. I have no idea how it is that two team-mates can so consistently run into each other unless neither of them have a particularly well-developed sense of spatial awareness - sometimes it's Ocon's fault, today it was Pérez, and who knows which one of them will be responsible (and whether said perpetrator will actually put his hand up and say "yes, it was me, apologies") when their seemingly-inevitable tangle happens in Italy. As for the other nomination, I find it bizarre how hard it is for Lewis not to be able to spot several large chunks of bright, baby-pink carbon fibre strewn all over the track, seeing as that has been an even more common sight this season than Max Verstappen's car conking out pathetically at the side of the track, and I can only conclude his last eye test wasn't up to scratch. Should have gone to Specsavers.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Sergio Pérez: Another lesson from a Force India driver in how not to race your team mate.
2. Kimi Räikkönen: Otherwise an OK race but I didn't think a driver of his experience would be the only one to miss the yellow flags.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

1) Sergio Perez - Was too erratic
2) Max Verstappen's luck - I feel really sorry for the guy, it's not fair that he has just half the points of his teammate

HMs: Palmer's luck - actually deserved points this time
the race - this one was really underwhelming, especially given it's Spa, even the SC didn't improve things
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Sergio Perez - It's not like Ocon even had a notional chance of making a pass there, but by all means squeeze him out and cause another accident between teammates.

Verstappen's Car - 4 mechanicals in 12 races.
mario

Post by mario »

dinizintheoven wrote:At the risk of being accused of singing when we're winning and trying to have a joke, I'm going to award ten points to Sergio Pérez and six points to Lewis Hamilton's optician for much the same reason. I have no idea how it is that two team-mates can so consistently run into each other unless neither of them have a particularly well-developed sense of spatial awareness - sometimes it's Ocon's fault, today it was Pérez, and who knows which one of them will be responsible (and whether said perpetrator will actually put his hand up and say "yes, it was me, apologies") when their seemingly-inevitable tangle happens in Italy. As for the other nomination, I find it bizarre how hard it is for Lewis not to be able to spot several large chunks of bright, baby-pink carbon fibre strewn all over the track, seeing as that has been an even more common sight this season than Max Verstappen's car conking out pathetically at the side of the track, and I can only conclude his last eye test wasn't up to scratch. Should have gone to Specsavers.

To be fair to Hamilton, the clash between Perez and Ocon occurred when he was on the far side of the track: by the time that the safety car brought him past that point the marshals had already cleared up the debris from Ocon's car, so I can understand why he was confused about a warning of debris that was no longer there.

First place definitely has to go to Perez though - whilst the first lap clash with Ocon is understandable given that he was trying to avoid Hulkenberg, the second clash with Ocon was clumsy and has cost the team badly. They've taken a laissez-faire attitude so far, but the senior management is going to have to take a harsher line with both drivers now as they've blown more than a few opportunities for points (and they really need to capitalise now if Renault are really beginning to step up their pace).

For second, I think that Raikkonen just takes it - it was extremely clear from the onboard footage that he didn't pay the blindest bit of notice to the warnings or Verstappen's stricken car being quite clearly visible, and he is somewhat lucky that the late safety car gave him a chance to slip past Bottas and partially make amends for it.

Speaking of Verstappen, his car definitely deserves an honourable mention - the frustrations must be building extremely rapidly, and perhaps that cast iron contract with Red Bull is looking to be as much of a curse as a blessing for him.

I'd also say that Magnussen deserves something of a honourable mention too - he was very lucky to get away with that clumsy restart, and he blew a chance of scoring a decent amount of points after the Perez-Ocon clash. In fact, he was lucky to even manage to beat Ericsson, and Sauber were terribly slow this weekend.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1. Perez; I was initially going to award it to both Force India drivers jointly but that was a complete mess from him.

2. Raikkonen for reasons already mentioned.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Sergio Pérez - That clash was dumb. You should not force drivers into the wall, especially if it's your team-mate. Bad Sergio. Bad.

2. Jolyon Palmer - From a Q3 apperance to no pace on race day and outright beaten by The Hulk. Again.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Perez
2. Räikkönen
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Perez: given the circumstances would he have blocked his team mate at L'eau Rouge? Madness.
The race (sic): dull.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

RoTR:
1. Perez: He appears to have relapsed into his 2013 "What's the first rule of racing anyway?" form again
2. Williams: They are fading very fast, and only a well-timed safety car saved them from a terrible result. At this rate, they'll be well off the back with the Saubers by Abu Dhabi.
DHM:
Palmer: He simply has no race pace at all, and only mediocre qualifying ability
Honda: If you designed an engine simply to annoy Fernando Alonso, it would work exactly like this one- it was even caught out by his driving style! No wonder he couldn't be bothered
Verstappen's engine supply: Come on, this is getting ridiculous...
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Sergio Pérez; hard to beat hitting your teammate, on a straight, right before Eau Rouge
2. Verstappen's luck; it's a good thing Red Bull aren't title contenders
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Perez - Don't get me wrong, I like a good punchy driver but Perez looked like a desperate and panicked goon yesterday. Ocon has clearly unsettled him.

Raikkonen - Verstappen may have been at the side of the road but the marshalls were clearly at risk from a spinning car and all he had to do was lift off. Don't leave him alone, he doesn't know what he's doing.

H.M. Honda. I am slightly bored of Honda being rubbish now. It's not a thing anymore.
Just For One Day...
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Perez: Who else other than...

2. Williams: completely anonymous and "more luck than was deserved" for Massa at Spa.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

1. Perez - now I don't think that Ocon did himself any favours by going for that gap when the option was there to back out and do Perez on the Kemmel straight with the slipstream, but obviously Perez was very aggressive and dangerous in a high speed part of the track. He seems to have a vendetta with Ocon that makes me think he's fearful for his job or something.
2. Verstappen's luck - really? Given how well Ricciardo seems to do whenever his teammate retires, you wonder what Verstappen could have pulled off this year.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

1. Pérez - All has been said.

2. Raikkonen - The Iceman is melting, as DC put it. His rather poor excuse was quite concerning to hear.
#FreeGonzo
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

1. Perez
2 Magnussen - Haas could use some points, and so could he..and yet despite the others hitting each other, and breaking down...
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So the results are in from the Belgian Grand Prix, and the grand prize is given to (with absolute full marks out of the nominations) Sergio Perez, for his rather questionable manoeuvres on his teammate. Whilst Ocon's driving has been questionable on occasion this season with regards to his teammate, Sergio's antics at Spa were not what we expected from the older, more experienced driver.

1 Sergio Perez 180
2 Kimi Räikönnen 42

3 Max Verstappen's car / luck 30
4 Williams 12
5 Lewis Hamilton's optician 6
- Jolyon Palmer 6
- The race 6
- Kevin Magnussen 6

In runner-up position was Kimi Räikönnen for his blatant disregard for safety and the rules. Though from the onboard it did not appear to be a particularly dangerous situation in and of itself, rules are rules, and had the situation been different, a serious accident could have occurred under those kinds of conditions.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!