Your Reject of the Race - Monaco

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Monaco

Post by Londoner »

1. Sergio Perez - His move on Vandoorne was marginal at best, and the mess with Kvyat was dumb. Not what we've come to expect from him at all.

2. Marcus Ericsson - Just, how? :badoer:

Honourable mentions to Jenson Button, and the aero rules, because the one thing F1 really needed was more dirty air. Yes, it's Monaco, but drivers were rarely able to even have a look at the car in front, let alone make an attempt.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
golic_2004

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Monaco

Post by golic_2004 »

1. Marcus Ericsson: Dude... :badoer:

2. McLaren: No way you can blame the engine this time around. :facepalm:
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

1st Sergio Perez - "Sergio MAD!!! Sergio SMASH!!!" Lots of cribbing at his team and a move on Kvyat that I'd expect in an rFactor pug server. We can presume some sort of grid penalty will result. He's been so much better than that this year.

2nd 2017 Cars & Monaco - Between the dirty air and the sheer width of the cars, overtaking here is now literally impossible instead of nearly impossible. Did any attempt to pass not end in a crash?

Hon mentions:
Button His move on Wehrlein was nearly as daft as Perez on Kvyat.
Crofty See my comments in the race thread
Stroll "Help me guys, I can't heat the brakes and tires under the safety car". Drag the brake pedal, kiddo.
Ericsson Yeah I know you're on cold tires and the track was starting to break up at St Devote, but the other 16 drivers still running at the time managed not to crash there.
mario

Post by mario »

1. Ericsson - OK, Sauber were having a pretty difficult weekend anyway, but the way in which he managed to crash out of the race there was pretty farcical.

2. Force India - It all seemed to fall apart for them in the race, as it seems that almost everything that could go wrong did go wrong - Perez's front wing failure, which was then compounded by some moves later in the race that seems to be borne of frustration, whilst Ocon seemed to be struggling from the after effects of his practise crash and then had that compounded by that puncture dropping him down the order.

There are a fair few dishonourable mentions though - Button's moment of madness with Wehrlein (so much for looking after Alonso's car...), Hulkenberg's early breakdown and Stroll's complaints over the radio (though at least he didn't stick it in the barriers) all come to mind.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
girry

Post by girry »

Before entering the thread I decided to give my first nomination to the one who had less

so

#1 Jenson
#2 Marcus

for obvious reasons :facepalm:
when you're dead people start listening
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

As I thought about what to say, I saw that my thoughts were all the same as mario's. So:
1. Marcus Ericsson
2. Force India
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Marcus Ericsson: Crashing out behind the safety car is pretty much an automatic ROTR.
2. (shared, 3 points for each) Jenson Button and Stoffel Vandoorne: They were fast all weekend but that's not enough when you make silly mistakes. Button's crash with Wehrlein wasn't something you would expect from the most experienced driver on the grid, making for an unfortunate farewell race. As for Vandoorne, the Q2 crash was unfortunate but didn't cost much in the end, his second crash of the weekend on the other hand cost McLaren their first points of the season (9th place would have probably been his without the crash). Alonso's absence really showed...
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

RoTR

1. Ericsson: Crashing under the Safety Car= Classic RoTR criteria
2. Vandoorne: He not only crashed in qualifying, but he did a pretty good Ericsson impression (albeit under green flags) in the race also, although his pace was decent.

DHM:
Button: Severe brain fade resulting in his second suspension failure in the final race of his career, and that doesn't even make sense!
Perez: That was a pointless move leaving him, well, pointless
Overtaking- there was none
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

1. Sergio Perez: The move on Vandoorne was already questionable, but the one on Kvyat was never going to work. Ruined the races of two of his competitors today with his errors.

2. Ericsson: What was that?
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

1. Perez - come on, man...
2. Ericsson - the worst bit is that's not the first time he's lazily dropped it under the safety car.

HM: Anyone who's complaining about the lack of overtaking - seriously? This is Monaco. Overtaking RARELY happens at Monaco. You might see a move or two into the Nouvelle Chicane, but that's it. I don't know what you expected from wider cars, but the race that we ended up with can't have been a surprise. Honestly guys, what are we doing here...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Jenson Button - 10 points
For endangering Wehrlein.

Marcus Ericsson - 6 points
For demolishing his car behind a safety car.

HM - TV director
There were two on-track overtakes that I recall. We saw neither. What a mong.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

1 - Ericsson: ROTR mistake while overtaking safety car. While overtaking the safety car!!!!

2 - Button: Overambitious move against Wehrlein and ending his career (again) with a retirement like other Britons.

HM for Perez for giving to Ferrari more reasons to renew with Raikkonen again.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

that whole race.... yawn livened up by some frain bade :shock: :facepalm: worst race of the year.... and I stand by my opinion that Monaco is just there because of its history... the track is too tight for this new breed of cars and its an opinion i've had since 1989.....
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

1: Monaco Grand Prix.
Screw tradition. Just get rid of the race already. The track is too narrow and too slow and too unforgiving for the fragile machinery of today. a 78 lap procession where the only interesting thing happened because of a brain fart from an once retired driver.

2: The tires.
Seriously. 40+ laps on ULTRA SOFT???????? Screw Pirelli. If I could decide F1 would have exactly 2 compounds. Superultra soft that offered great pace of a few laps and then disintegrated almost instantly and superultra hard that lasted for 5 races but offered 0 grip. Do away with mandatory pitstop and let the drivers decide whether they want to be fast but have to pit often or be slow and have no need to pit ever.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

1. Ericsson - Gratuitous mistakes under safety car, especially such stupid ones, will earn you a ROTR.
2. Button - What an inglorious way to put an end to a long F1 career. He's lucky Ericsson did something even more ROTR-worthy.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

1. Marcus Ericsson - Very stupid mistake
2. Jenson Button/Sergio Perez - Overtakes that were never going to work.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

1- Ericsson, for crash under yellow flag, wtf!?
2- Hamilton, totally anonimous all the weekend, now 25 points behind. Not Hammer time.

HM- Pérez, unnecesary aggresive, too much chili, jajaja
I'm not a serious person
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

8 points for Ericsson (lmao) and 8 for McLaren (0 finishes out of 3!).

HM: Force India
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

McLaren Honda

Three cars into Q3/Fast Nine; three DNFs.

C'est tout.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

1. Fernando Alonso's engine.

2. Seriously, Alonso's engine.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

6666 damage, the Poison status effect and Gilgamesh's dirty underpants go to Marcus Ericsson - that was brainless, and I'm fairly sure that's the second time he did what he did. Am I right?

9999 damage, the Toad, Mini, Dark and Zombie status effects and a potion drunk Ricciardo-style from Exdeath's sweaty socks go to Jenson Button - that was dangerous and I really wouldn't have liked to have been Pascal Wehrlein at that moment. I suppose it's not the first time, either, that a British World Champion made his final exit in complete ignominy while driving a McLaren.

Disohonourable mentions, with a light tap from a Fire Rod and a few mistaken steps over a damaging floor without setting Float on the entire party, go to Force India's dies horribilis (I'd know if that was correct Latin if it was 22 years ago when I was about to take GCSE Latin), McLaren's continued quest for a point (which is currently looking like Virgin Racing's effort from 2010 and I wonder if even Alonso's Herculean efforts on his return will allow them to beat Sauber this year, which I suspect it won't) and the new podium, which looked just as sterile today as it did after the Formula E race - get shot of it, I say, bring back the steps and have the drivers run towards their mechanics spraying the champagne rather than have them shuffle off looking slightly bemused.

Meanwhile, I have a party of armed-to-the-teeth Cannoneers and a Very Definitely Final Dungeon to beat. Yo-ho-ho and stuff, time to cast off!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

22nd -- Marcus Ericsson -- You crashed. Under the safety car. I don't care if it's Monaco or if St. Devote had tarmac like that Daytona with Montoya and the Jet Dryer. You still crashed under the safety car.

1st -- Crofty -- Okay, I admit. I didn't watch the full race. But going off comments I've seen everywhere in the internet, he was extremely biased this race. And I mean extremely biased. Basically constantly accusing Ferrari of team orders when Vettel was legit lighting up the place and just purely faster than Kimi, who was the one who wanted to pit early in the first place. I don't care if you have a favourite driver. You can have over enthusiastic calls for them where you want. That's fine by me But, just for once, give credit where credit's due. Be impartial to those drivers you don't favour. Call the race as it is. If you can't do that, I'd get Julian Bailey to replace you. You'd never understand him, but at least he can call a race as it is.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

1 - Erriccssonn - I'm sure he was upset but he should take some consolation that he's earned a form of immortality on here.
2 - Jenson Alexander Lyons Button MBE - A parting gift to all of us on here, taking one for the team in order to kickstart the race. So long Champ.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

1. Marcus Ericsson - 10/10 crash, you made a boring race memorable. Thanks.
2. Rob Dylan - for forgetting to upload the predicament thread. Sorry guys!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Another following the crowd

1. Marcus ericsson. So What do Marcus and Michael Schumacher have in common. Crashing under the safety car in Monaco!! As I recall Schumie won the rotr in 2004 for that!!

2 Jenson Button. Okay the 15th place grid drop wasn't his fault. Crashing into wehrlein was. Well done Jenson. If you ever race again (which could be likely if Alonso decides he has had enough and jumps to Renault when Palmer is fired) you have a grid drop to look forward to. (Which in all honesty will mean nothing since he will probably have an engine penalty)

Hm - Mercedes. Very Poor. Force India. Dead Last. Even Palmer did better than them.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Gosh where do I start!

1. Sergio Perez - I will always maintain that the number one rule at Monaco is to NEVER attempt a pass at Rascasse. In the 20 odd years of watching the Monaco GP, I can count on one hand the amount of times that an attempted pass into that corner hasn't ended in a collision. Perez should have known better. Heck, even a baby should know better.

2. Marcus Ericsson - Watching the Channel 4 commentary, they mentioned this being Ericsson's 4th season in F1. I was thinking how unjust it is that he has a seat and so many other drivers haven't had a shot at F1; shortly after he bins it under the safety car.

HMs: Jenson Button for getting bored and almost killing Wehrlein, Vandoorne for letting himself be bullied into the wall on his best chance to score points all season, Sauber in general for showing what a weak chassis they have, Renault for Hulkenberg retiring when good points were on the cards and for employing Palmer, Hamilton for having such a crap qualifying, Raikkonen for getting absolutely "toasted" (in the words of Lewis' engineer) by Vettel after he'd shown us a glimpse of his old self.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

As much as it pains me to say it, it has to be Button.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

1 Marcus Ericsson: For sheer comedic value. To crash in Monaco is one thing, to do it under the safety car is pure gold and sums up what ROTR is all about

2 Sergio Perez: This performance had shades of his erratic 2013 race here. The move on Stoffel at best was risky but at least was pulled off OK. The move on Kvyat was dumb, trying to go for a gap that was only there with Kvyat's line. I give him this due to it being completely below what we're used to from him

Mentions
Jolyon Palmer: Even with 7 retirements and 3 other finishers hitting trouble he still couldn't finish in the points

Sky F1: Didn't stop whining about Ferrari using supposed team orders (Vettel was clearly faster anyway) yet didn't bat an eyelid about Mercedes using clear team orders in Bahrain or Bottas being used to help Hamilton in Spain. I wonder why.

The 2017 cars: The dirty air hasn't helped much but what made this race boring was the sheer width of the cars meant it was impossible to even attempt overtakes let alone complete them

Jenson Button: Sorry Jenson it was great to see you again but that accident was your fault. No one ever passes there so what Jenson was thinking I don't know

Force India: least Impressive weekend in some time
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

1. Jenson Button: Although there were a number of rejectful moves in the race, Button's clumsy overtake attempt was the only one to endanger the health of another driver. That's a big no-no in my book, especially for an experienced driver who should know better.

2. Marcus Ericsson: Managed to crash all on his own during a safety car. 'Nuff said.

Honorary mentions to Sergio Perez for twice sticking his nose where it shouldn't have been, Stoffel Vandoorne for stuffing up a potential points opportunity (McLaren is unlikely to get them often this season) and Pirelli for making qualifying tyres that could be used at an endurance race without any performance loss.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

1. Marcus Ericsson, Jenson Button - Two drivers having rather stupid accidents. Marcus commits the cardinal sin of crashing while trying to follow the damn pace car. Jenson showed us that maybe McLaren should have given a proper thought about a proper replacement for Alonso.

2. Fernando Alonso's Honda HI15TT 2.2L V6 Twin Turbo Engine - This was the only Honda-related DNF for McLaren this weekend. The failure couldn't have happened at any other event besides the damn INDY 500?!? To think that Alonso had a legitimate shot at winning the thing.... oh well, there's always next year.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

1. Marcus Ericsson - Crash under safety car? Sounds like ROTR to me, Marc. Classic case.[/superhans]

Second vote not necessary.
#FreeGonzo
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

1. Marcus Ericsson: I have to admit, when I saw the replay of this, I cracked up. Even though I already had a fair idea of what happened thanks to the chatroom. Good job Marcus.

2. Sergio Perez: Couple of idiotic moves that took him and a couple of other runners out of contention for possible points. Gotta at least give some credit for breaking the lap record and actually trying to pass.

Honourable Mentions to Button for causing a stupid accident that could have injured both Wehrlein and himself (had Wehrlein's car fell from the barriers), and for the new regulations/dirty air for making most of the races so far this season Scalextric races on the same side of the track (not an original quote from me, just to clarify).
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

There are lots of potential candidates here: Button, Perez, the circuit (or the 2017 regs being completely unsuitable for it meaning people had to play follow the leader or try silly kamikaze moves like those two mentioned drivers), the people calling "foul" on Ferrari (even it was engineered, it's still a no-brainer for the championship with them being in a close battle - this was no Austria '02, and nobody complained when Kimi benefited for similar in Brazil '07), grid penalties for Button that were supposed to be for Alonso, Hamilton's qualifying, the new Haas livery which is SO dull (keep the red bits please!) - but the end of the day, it just HAS to be Ericsson. Pure reject comedy gold. :D
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

lance_rambert wrote:
1. Fernando Alonso's Honda HI15TT 2.2L V6 Twin Turbo Engine - This was the only Honda-related DNF for McLaren this weekend. The failure couldn't have happened at any other event besides the damn INDY 500?!? To think that Alonso had a legitimate shot at winning the thing.... oh well, there's always next year.

This. The true tragedy of the weekend. Honda's Indy motor is usually gutless but bulletproof....until Fernando gets it.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Ericsson
2. Perez
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Well there sure were some great candidates for this race, and a hell of a lot of suggestions! I tried to separate the various McLaren nominations into their variously specific parts, and here are the results that I got:

1 Marcus Ericsson 233
2 Jenson Button 96

3 Sergio Perez 71
4 2017 Cars & Monaco 26
5 Fernando Alonso's engine 16
6 Stoffel Vandoorne 15
7 McLaren 14
8 Force India 12
9 David Croft 10
10 The tyres 6
- Lewis Hamilton 6
- Rob Dylan 6

So Marcus Ericsson wins for a good old fashioned ROTR-winning move: stalling and retiring under the safety car. As far as I am aware, this isn't even the first time he has done this. But following under the footsteps of the great Michael Schumacher in 2004, Marcus Ericsson can say he retired under the safety car at Monaco. In second place was Jenson Button, the returning world champion, filling in for Fernando for this race, and, boy, what a race it was! I'll certainly say that I don't think his stint this year will end up on the anonymous stints thread :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!