QuickSim: Alternate F1 - The Manufacturer Era - 1998 Season

In honour of our fallen comrade. Archive of all previous canon series across all disciplines.
Dom_Wings

Re: QuickSim: Alternate F1 - The Manufacturer Era - 1998 Sea

Post by Dom_Wings »

Doesn't Davies also have 20 points?

He got a 2nd (6 pts), a 3rd (4 pts), a DNF, and a win (10 pts).

Sorry if I'm a party-pooper, but it's gotta be fair & square :P
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Reject_Dom wrote:Doesn't Davies also have 20 points?

He got a 2nd (6 pts), a 3rd (4 pts), a DNF, and a win (10 pts).

Sorry if I'm a party-pooper, but it's gotta be fair & square :P

Yep, you're right, and it's been fixed (I can't count, it seems :facepalm: )
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

James Davies, after winning in Imola wrote:Today I've proven all the doubters wrong. Mika's been a McLaren driver for years, I just needed a couple races to get used to the environment here. Now, I'm totally committed and completely focused on winning this World Championship, and I have no intention of playing second fiddle to anyone. Underestimate me at your peril.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Jones driving for Tyrrell is good with me.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Autosport wrote:Little Al to make shock F1 debut

Former CART champion Al Unser Jr has made the shock announcement that he will be making his F1 for the remainder of the 1998 season. After being sensationally dumped by Team Penske at the end of the 1997 season, Little Al has been in advanced talks with the Sauber F1 team. Visa issues curtailed his initial efforts, but with those now settled, Unser has been cleared to drive the #15 car, replacing supersub Daniel Moreno.

"Unser is one of the most iconic names in motorsport, and to have Al join our team is a great day for the team," said team principal Peter Sauber. "He is one of the most successful drivers in living memory, and to have someone of his calibre will help drive the team forward."

Autosport wrote:Rennis: "Davies will beat Hakkinen in long run"

James Davies' manager Don Rennis came out with a bold statement today, stating that his client Davies will beat Hakkinen to the 1998 title over the course of the season. Rennis went further on, claiming that Davies has been held back by issues within the McLaren team, masking his true pace.

"My client James Davies is undoubtedly the best up and coming talent in the world. He's proven that with his win at San Marino, and he's every bit as good as Mika is right now," exclaimed Rennis. "However, over the course of this year, we know he will only get better, and I believe he will beat Mika and Michael to the title this year. The best is yet to come, and once we get over these mechanical gremlins and external forces, he will be able to unleash his true potential."
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Gran Premio Marlboro de España Qualifying
Gran Premio Marlboro de España Race (Fastest Lap: James Davies, McLaren-Mercedes - 1:24.943)
Grand Prix de Monaco Qualifying
Grand Prix de Monaco Race (Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari - 1:22.227)
Player's Canadian Grand Prix Qualifying
Player's Canadian Grand Prix Race (Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari - 1:19.166)
Mobil 1 Grand Prix de France Qualifying
Mobil 1 Grand Prix de France (Fastest Lap: Mika Häkkinen, McLaren-Mercedes - 1:19.042)

You may again apply for driver changes by sending me a message which details why you think a driver replacement is sensible. If approved, you will be handed a list of at least two drivers from which you may pick the replacement.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Lola got a point how the hell did that happen
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

James Davies, after the French Grand Prix wrote:I can't explain how I finished so far behind Mika today. I was looking forward to a good straight fight, but on lap one I could just see him pulling away from me midway down the straight, almost like he just had more power than me. Still, we did well enough to secure the 1-2 today, which is important when both Ferrari's didn't finish, but yeah - was really hoping to put up more of a fight today.

Still, we are only halfway through the championship, and and anything can happen in the second half, so I am still confident I will be World Champion this year.
Everything's great.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

If anyone's wondering what the Constructor's standings look like, here's my unofficial count (Klon's already put the WDC on the wiki page)

WCC After Eight Rounds:
1 Mclaren-Mercedes 80
2 Ferrari 64
3 Williams-Mecachrome 22
4 Jordan-Mugen Honda 17
5 Arrows-Playlife 15
6 Sauber-Petronas 4
7 Prost-Peugeot 3
8 Stewart-Ford 2
9 Lola-Ford 1
10 Tyrrell-Ford 0 (Best: 2x9th)
11 Minardi-Ford 0 (Best: 2x10th)
Last edited by This Could Be You on 16 Jun 2017, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Autosport wrote:Benetton Arrows set to replace Wurz with Barrichello for Silverstone

Autosport understands that personal terms have been agreed between Benetton Arrows and Rubens Barrichello, paving the way for a shock return to Formula One for the 26-year-old Brazilian, at the expense of current race driver Alexander Wurz.

Wurz, with whom team principal Flavio Briatore has been reportedly underwhelmed, is nevertheless still considered by certain elements of the team to be a relatively promising prospect, and will thus be demoted to a reserve seat, rather than be released outright.

Klon has granted his authorization for this move.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

RejectSport wrote:All not well within McLaren?

Following the French Grand Prix, a visibly displeased James Davies made comments alluding to a discrepancy in power between his car and the one driven by McLaren teammate Mika Hakkinen. Rumours have reached RejectSport suggesting that this displeasure has carried on back to Woking, where Davies has demanded equal equipment between himself and Hakkinen. The rumours suggest the demands resulted in an argument between himself and team principal Ron Dennis.

An unnamed source within the team has suggested that Davies' position in the team was at the behest of minority owner Mansour Ojjeh, who reportedly has great admiration for the young Brit. Both Ron Dennis and James Davies declined to comment, however, a statement from the team read that "McLaren is fully committed to providing both of our drivers equal equipment and equal treatment for the entirety of their tenures within the team."
Everything's great.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Autosport wrote:Rennis demands answers from Dennis

James Davies' long-time manager Don Rennis has again called the situation at McLaren into question, demanding answers from Team Principal Ron Dennis after more claims of mechanical issues were leveled at the team by his client. This came off the back of Davies finishing second to Hakkinen at the French Grand Prix last weekend.

"My client James Davies is at a loss at the moment as to how is his struggling on track at the moment." stated Rennis. "We know from the data he's matched if not beaten Mika blow for blow, which is a testament to the talent of James to be up against someone so ingrained into the team's recent history.

However, the number of mechanical issues we have had is atypical of a team run by someone as esteemed as Ron. Twice now this year we have lost potential victories to mechanical gremlins, and we want assurance of whether it is just down to chance, which I sincerely hope it is. Regardless, my client James Davies will overcome these struggles, and will emerge victorious this year at Estoril.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Autosport wrote:Spring Cleaning for Sauber

The Sauber Formula One team has gone through a late spring cleaning, with Jean Alesi and Daniel Moreno both released by the team, effective immediately. The pair are expected to be replaced by veteran journeyman Eddie Irvine, and Tom Douglas.

Additionally, Sauber's Commerical Manager Fritz Kaiser has been suspended without pay, and is now facing legal action from team owners Peter Sauber and Dietrich Mateschitz over contracts he had signed for the team. Details are currently scant as to what has led to all the changes, but it's expected the team will release a statement shortly.

These changes have been permitted by Klon effective immediately
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

RAC British Grand Prix Qualifying
RAC British Grand Prix Race (Fastest Lap: Mika Häkkinen, McLaren-Mercedes - 1:27.656)
Großer A1 Preis von Österreich
Großer A1 Preis von Österreich (Fastest Lap: Michael Schumacher, Ferrari - 1:13.141)
Großer Mobil 1 Preis von Deutschland Qualifying
Großer Mobil 1 Preis von Deutschland Race (Fastest Lap: David Coulthard, Ferrari - 1:46.990)
Marlboro Magyar Nagydij Qualifying
Marlboro Magyar Nagydij Race (Fastest Lap: Mika Häkkinen, McLaren-Mercedes - 1:19.427)

You may again apply for driver changes by sending me a message which details why you think a driver replacement is sensible. If approved, you will be handed a list of at least two drivers from which you may pick the replacement.
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Because I can.

World Constructors' Championship standings after Race 12 of 16:
1. McLaren-Mercedes - 125
2. Ferrari - 99
3. Williams-Mecachrome - 31
4. Arrows-Playlife - 22 (best: 2nd)
5. Jordan-Mugen-Honda - 22 (best: 3rd x2)
6. Sauber-Petronas - 6
7. Prost-Peugeot - 3 (best: 4th)
8. Stewart-Ford - 3 (best: 5th)
9. Lola-Ford - 1
10. Tyrrell-Ford - 0 (best: 8th x1, 9th x2)
11. Minardi-Ford - 0 (best: 8th x1, 10th x3)

Btw, Takagi should be ahead of Larini in the championship :P
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

James Davies, after winning the British GP wrote:This has been pretty much a perfect weekend for me, and I'm very glad to secure my first 1-2 for McLaren like this, just dominating everyone. Unfortunately for Mika I don't think he was quite able to find the same balance here that I did, so I wasn't able to give a good fight for this one like I'd wanted, but hey, a win's a win, and we put Ferrari even further behind us. An awesome job here by everyone.

James Davies, after the Austrian GP wrote:I gotta say I'm not particularly pleased about the strategy here today, we went on an alternate strategy to cover the Ferrari's, but Schumacher won anyway and Coulthard beat me, which is a crap result for us. We locked out the front row so I don't think there are any excuses for finishing 2nd and 4th. It's not the worst thing in the world but when we're fighting for both titles we shouldn't let things like this happen.

James Davies, after the German GP wrote:I hate to say this again, after I thought the issues were resolved,
but my engine this weekend was not at all like what I've been getting lately. It felt so down on power, I'm amazed I even got on the front row! I couldn't at all live with Mika on the straights before the engine died, and I trimmed out my car more than he did so there's no question in my mind, my engine was not working properly all weekend. It's very frustrating when this should've been an easy 1-2 for McLaren.

James Davies, after the Hungarian GP wrote:This is unbelievable. We've been coming here for what... 20 years? And the marshals don't know what a slippery surface flag is. After Kristensen broke his gearbox like an idiot and dumped fluid all over the track, rather than pull off the track like a sensible person, the track there was like driving on ice. I had no chance at all, without knowing that there was fluid there I was on a one-way trip to gravel town. I was having a decent recovery drive before then, after a glitch on the car meant I couldn't get anywhere near the pace Mika was setting in qualifying, but to see things end like this... it's a really sh-- rubbish way to end a race. Especially when now I'm in a pretty crappy position in the championship now. I won't give up though, I'll fight for everything I can get until the last race.
Everything's great.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Foster's Belgian Grand Prix Qualifying
Foster's Belgian Grand Prix Race (Fastest Lap: Eddie Irvine, Sauber-Petronas - 1:59.894)
Gran Premio Campari d'Italia Qualifying
Gran Premio Campari d'Italia Race (Fastest Lap: James Davies, McLaren-Mercedes - 1:26.527)
Fuji Television Japanese Grand Prix Qualifying
Fuji Television Japanese Grand Prix Race (Fastest Lap: Mika Häkkinen, McLaren-Mercedes - 1:40.732)
Grande Prémio Galp Energia de Portugal Qualifying
Grande Prémio Galp Energia de Portugal Race (Fastest Lap: David Coulthard, Ferrari - 1:19.944)

Since I didn't tell This Could Be You to do it, I hereby announce he had my permission to switch Tom Kristensen and Jean Alesi. With that we close out 1998. After I have worked on current Alt-F1 a bit, we will move on and run 1999.