2017 Gran Premio de España Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

2017 Gran Premio de España Thread

Post by Ataxia »

As Spain rolls around, F1's paddock is expecting various mega-updates for Barcelona. Red Bull should be bringing a load of new bits, Ferrari and Mercedes will continue battling each other on-and-off track, and the unholy midfield tussle will rumble on.

So, expect overtakes galore as...oh no, wait, forget I said that. Is that final chicane gone yet? No? Goddamnit...

...so, expect some cars to circulate around the Circuit de Catalunya, resulting in one of them emerging as the quickest. Other things may or may not happen depending on the flow of events, but what's guaranteed is that I will be sat in front of the TV wishing that the Ricardo Tormo circuit was holding the Spanish Grand Prix instead.

...sigh...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AdrianBelmonte_

Re: 2017 Gran Premio de España Thread

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

#BringBackOurMontjuic

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Well, I like the place... I seem to have a minority opinion on most tracks, though.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I'm just glad it's not this place:

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Well, I like the place... I seem to have a minority opinion on most tracks, though.

I do too, it's a classic track steeped in racing history and perversely even when I know the race has been dull I've always enjoyed it. More cricket than Scalextric.
Just For One Day...
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Still better than this circuit.

Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

dr-baker wrote:I'm just glad it's not this place:

Wow. Was Bernd Maylander wrong except for the 2012 event. :badoer:
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Ataxia wrote:...so, expect some cars to circulate around the Circuit de Catalunya, resulting in one of them emerging as the quickest. Other things may or may not happen depending on the flow of events, but what's guaranteed is that I will be sat in front of the TV wishing that the Ricardo Tormo circuit was holding the Spanish Grand Prix instead.
...sigh...

*off topic* That was the place where Alex Caffi Motorsports dominated the weekend for the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series. Yes THAT Alex Caffi.
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

The Circuit de Catalunya...one of the calendars most boring tracks...yay
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Good to see the forum at its optimistic best!

So which two title challengers are going to knock each other off on the first lap this year?

My bets are on......Vettel and Bottas :twisted:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
AdrianBelmonte_

Rob Dylan wrote:Good to see the forum at its optimistic best!

So which two title challengers are going to knock each other off on the first lap this year?

Ericsson and Palmer :pantano:
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Still better than this circuit.

Nothing wrong with that circuit, except that the owners went bankrupt before the first race.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Good to see the forum at its optimistic best!

Ericsson and Palmer :pantano:

Well, if the title is RotY, I'm going for McLaren and... McLaren.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Weather report for Barcelona is a nice sunny weekend. That'll cheer us all up, won't it?
Just For One Day...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Well, I like the place... I seem to have a minority opinion on most tracks, though.

I have no real opinion either way, although i do prefer Jerez. But I am in the minority on the last turn chicane. I prefer it.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

pi314159 wrote:

Nothing wrong with that circuit, except that the owners went bankrupt before the first race.

Yeah, a great circuit, probably one of my favourite Spanish circuits. The circuit is still up and although in disuse, it's structure has been relatively intact.

Speaking of good Spanish circuits...

Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Normal32 wrote:
pi314159 wrote:

Yeah, a great circuit, probably one of my favourite Spanish circuits. The circuit is still up and although in disuse, it's structure has been relatively intact.

Speaking of good Spanish circuits...

Well, Sitges appears a bit too simple for my liking for GP racing, hence why I put it there.

Jarama's a fun little circuit though, although I kinda prefer driving the reverse layout than the proper one (on Grid Autosport, to clarify).
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

How would Aragon suit Formula 1?

FR3.5 used to race there and what I remember those races weren't that bad, no?
girry

Post by girry »

Honestly I think Barcelona is the best possible place for a Spanish GP.

Aragon is just a slightly duller Tilke version of Catalunya, with even dulker lanfscape; Ricardo Tormo and Jarama are fun circuits but too small for F1 racing; Jerez is great for bikes but too tight for four wheel racing; and Valencia street circuit didnt have any cool features and produced bad races.

So if we can't have Montjuic, well...
when you're dead people start listening
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I miss Valencia Street GP. Yeah, produced boring races, but the track was beautiful. Maybe a layout change could had fixed most of the problems.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Alonso. First lap. Engine failure.

Go home Honda, you're drunk.
Just For One Day...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

As I said to a friend, Honda is the Donald Trump of engines. They both barely know how to function in their intended roles at the best of times, and at worst look about 5 minutes away from a total breakdown.

Though I suppose Trump hasn't been caught pissing up a wall. Yet.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Alonso should just quit and stay in Indycar after the Indianapolis 500. Just saying.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

golic_2004 wrote:Alonso should just quit and stay in Indycar after the Indianapolis 500. Just saying.

I honestly think he's trying to get fired. During the drivers press conference, Vettel was asked who he wanted to be battling with at Turn 1. Alonso excitedly said "Pick me! Pick me! That way you can blow right by me on the straight!"

Then after today's FP1 failure, NBC is claiming he left the circuit and went back to the hotel, and had to be coaxed out for FP2.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:Alonso. First lap. Engine failure.

Go home Honda, you're drunk.

At least it was an engine that seems to have had a moderately high mileage on it (having reportedly been run in Melbourne, China and in the qualifying sessions in Bahrain) - at the moment, the speculation is that it may be related to the MGU-H issues they had in Bahrain.

Wallio wrote:
golic_2004 wrote:Alonso should just quit and stay in Indycar after the Indianapolis 500. Just saying.

I honestly think he's trying to get fired. During the drivers press conference, Vettel was asked who he wanted to be battling with at Turn 1. Alonso excitedly said "Pick me! Pick me! That way you can blow right by me on the straight!"

Then after today's FP1 failure, NBC is claiming he left the circuit and went back to the hotel, and had to be coaxed out for FP2.

Of course, given what Alonso's luck is like, Honda would probably then go on to fully fix their issues and the car would then turn out to be extremely competitive, just as the team he moves to dives in performance.

That said, there is the question of where Alonso would go if he were trying to engineer a situation where he was fired from McLaren - assuming, that is, he wanted to stay in F1.

Renault might be one of the few viable options - as a works team, it would offer him the chance of getting a reasonably competitive car in the near future. From Renault's point of view, they know that they'd have a much better chance of scoring points in a very tight midfield battle at the moment, and even just a few more points could lead to a big swing in the WCC standing - the gap between themselves in 8th in the WCC and Williams in 5th is 12 points right now.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
andrew

Post by andrew »

That was frankly heroic from Alonso.
went

Post by went »

Alonso reminding McLaren why they can't afford to fire him despite how much he mocks them: he is their only hope to score any points this season.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Nice to see the two championship leaders lining up at the front of the grid - especially after Vettel came so close to disaster in Q1!

Superb effort from Alonso, too. I've never been a big fan of his, but you have to stand up and admire that.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Alonso's way too good for that car.

That's the qualifying performance of a guy translating all his frustration into positive aggression. We'd all understand it if he just upped and left McLaren, or just plain out stopped trying. I mean why should he try? Great, he's qualified 7th, but the car almost certainly won't make it to 50% race distance. But he wants to make it clear that he's still got more ability than most of the grid.
Last edited by Enforcer on 13 May 2017, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

An absolutely phenomenal lap from Alonso, what could he do if he was in that Ferrari alongside Vettel?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

IIDOTY to Alonso. Period.

Stroll and Palmer can't be long for this world, can they?

Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Wallio wrote:IIDOTY to Alonso. Period.

Except we were thinking that about palmer this time last year and he still has a drive...
mario

Post by mario »

Enforcer wrote:Alonso's way too good for that car.

That's the qualifying performance of a guy translating all his frustration into positive aggression. We'd all understand it if he just upped and left McLaren, or just plain out stopped trying. I mean why should he try? Great, he's qualified 7th, but the car almost certainly won't make it to 50% race distance. But he wants to make it clear that he's still got more ability than most of the grid.

Whilst there were some commentators joking beforehand that Alonso would be talking about that session being the best qualifying performance of his career, as he has done a few times already this year, it's fair to say that it might actually be deserving of that title. It was indeed a statement of intent from Alonso, and a demonstration that the fires still burn just as bright - even if, to adapt the quote from King Lear, he seems to have hitched his wagon to a falling star.

Fetzie wrote:
Wallio wrote:IIDOTY to Alonso. Period.

Except we were thinking that about palmer this time last year and he still has a drive...

I agree that perhaps it is a little too hasty to write them off - both individuals can potentially put a fairly persuasive argument forward via their wallets...

To be fair, they weren't that far off their team mates either in Q1 - Stroll was about 0.27s behind Massa and Palmer about 0.31s, which is not dissimilar to some of the gaps that we saw between some more highly rated drivers on the grid - it's similar to the gap between, for example, Magnussen and Grosjean in Q2, and better than Vandoorne's relative performance against Alonso (about 0.5s off his pace in Q1).

I also have to say that, in some respects, I'm slightly disappointed by Hulkenberg's performance. Now, I did feel that he probably wouldn't be as competitive in qualifying as in the practise sessions, where he was 7th and looked fairly quick, but I had thought that he might at least sneak into the bottom of the top 10 - as it was, he only managed 13th and, had it not been for Grosjean's problems on his second lap, probably been in 14th.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Every car that exited Q1 was from a different team - is that the first time that's happened?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

AustralianStig wrote:Every car that exited Q1 was from a different team - is that the first time that's happened?

Well it's certainly the first time since Bahrain. And China. And Australia :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Wizzie wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:Every car that exited Q1 was from a different team - is that the first time that's happened?

Well it's certainly the first time since Bahrain. And China. And Australia :P

Huh. Clearly I haven't been paying enough attention during Q1 so far this year.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
AdrianBelmonte_

Wehrlein scored, THIS IS NOT A DRILL, WEHRLEIN REALLY SCORED
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
andrew

Post by andrew »

Palmer is still behind a man who only did 2 races and crashed out in one of them in the championship. That's how refectufl he's been.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Portugal wins Eurovision, Benfica wins championship and now, Sauber scores. Great weekend for me :dance:
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

It's nice to have a year where the two leading championship contenders are from different teams, and seem to be fairly well-matched, regularly fighting each other at the front for race victories. It promises to be an exciting title battle!

And I know it was a blatant and slightly cynical PR move in some respects, but it was nice that that little Raikkonen fan got to meet him.