Thumbs Up?

Found a problem with the website or forum? Submit a new ticket here. Also, track progress of existing issues currently being fixed.
CoopsII

Thumbs Up?

Post by CoopsII »

Is it possible to add a 'Like' option for peoples comments? I don't want to start some daft competition to see who can attract the most but there are often great comments posted that I feel like, um, Liking without lengthening the thread with a comment to that effect.

Just trying to spread the positivity. Man.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Re: Thumbs Up?

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:Is it possible to add a 'Like' option for peoples comments? I don't want to start some daft competition to see who can attract the most but there are often great comments posted that I feel like, um, Liking without lengthening the thread with a comment to that effect.

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

CoopsII wrote:Is it possible to add a 'Like' option for peoples comments? I don't want to start some daft competition to see who can attract the most but there are often great comments posted that I feel like, um, Liking without lengthening the thread with a comment to that effect.

Having spent a fair bit of time on a different forum which does have this feature implemented, I can confirm it will end in a daft competition to see who can attract the most likes. The second I see a post with the words "like if" - whether in written or macro form - the feature would be deleted immediately and forever!

The previous commonly used phpBB extension for this feature is out of date and no longer considered a stable release. There is a new version by a different team currently in production but they seem to be ironing out some problems with it still - it could be implemented in coming months, depending on their progress.

From a usage point of view, I just wonder if it would curtail discussion, leaving people with an easy way to agree, rather than agreeing by also contributing something else at the same time.

I will have a got at implementing this if I can see enough support for it. Let's see what others have to say.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

DemocalypseNow wrote:

Having spent a fair bit of time on a different forum which does have this feature implemented, I can confirm it will end in a daft competition to see who can attract the most likes. The second I see a post with the words "like if" - whether in written or macro form - the feature would be deleted immediately and forever!

The previous commonly used phpBB extension for this feature is out of date and no longer considered a stable release. There is a new version by a different team currently in production but they seem to be ironing out some problems with it still - it could be implemented in coming months, depending on their progress.

From a usage point of view, I just wonder if it would curtail discussion, leaving people with an easy way to agree, rather than agreeing by also contributing something else at the same time.

I will have a got at implementing this if I can see enough support for it. Let's see what others have to say.

I've seen it used (and have used it myself) over on Autosport without any detrimental effect. Then again, I've never ventured far beyond the Nostalgia Forum, where the denizens have no time for fishing for likes or whatever rubbish these young people get up to...

From the limited exposure I've had to the Racing Comments forum, still nothing of that sort, just the usual rubbish otherwise associated with that section of the Autosport Forums.

I wouldn't expect like-fishing to get too out of hand, if it even happens. Us moderators are at your disposal to take care of the problem if it does arise. :twisted:
#FreeGonzo
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Well, I generally like to think that people on a forum like this aren't as superficial as many others, and are unlikely to start deliberatedly "fishing" for such frivolous things as likes on a website that probably gets at best a few hundred unique visitors per month. And yes, should I still see someone acting in such manner, they'd be dealt with extreme prejudice.

So I'm all for it as long as it can be implemented in a manner that doesn't make the forum more broken than what it already is. :P
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Nuppiz wrote:So I'm all for it as long as it can be implemented in a manner that doesn't make the forum more broken than what it already is. :P

Just for that, I am going to implement a dislike button along with a like button, and aim it squarely at you! More broken than it already is...pffffffft. :x
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

I'm also slightly worried that the amount of memes is going to rise in here if there were like buttons, as i've seen that happening at some forums. Decide for yourself if that's a good or a bad thing....
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Absolutely not. This isn't Reddit.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:Absolutely not. This isn't Reddit.

What's Reddit?

Other forums use the option to 'Thank' the user for the post rather than 'Liking' if the word itself is putting people off and I'm not suggesting installing a 'Trophy' system either, I've seen how that plays out :shock:
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

For whatever it's worth, I am against this idea.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!