Alt-1957: Post-season auction!

In honour of our fallen comrade. Archive of all previous canon series across all disciplines.

What track should be tenth in the 1958 season?

Poll ended at 07 Oct 2017, 21:52

Ain-Diab
83%
Sebring
17%

Total votes: 6

Ataxia
Not Important

Re: Alt-1957: 1958 second vote/Enter Spain!

Post by Ataxia »

Owen will enter with the usual equipment, drivers and snacks.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Gonzalez

Post by Gonzalez »

Before I submit my team's entries, I would like to ask anyone here who is willing to enter a privateer for me. I obviously cannot enter a privateer together with my team Connaught as per the rules.

The plan was to enter Spanish Driver Alfonso De Portago in return from his accident last season. (Gladly, it saved his life from competing in the Mile Miglia) :P Due to the supposedly short grid, I was possibly looking to enter Russell's car with De Portago in the car.

From my sight, I would surely recommend anyone signing him for his home GP. If anyone here is willing to do that for me, or to offer him with a better team/car that would be great. :)

Note: Please confirm with me here or via pm for those interested.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Vandervell Products Ltd. - Duncan Hamilton - Vanwall VW57 chassis 1/VE2 engine 5
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Gonzalez wrote:Before I submit my team's entries, I would like to ask anyone here who is willing to enter a privateer for me. I obviously cannot enter a privateer together with my team Connaught as per the rules.

The plan was to enter Spanish Driver Alfonso De Portago in return from his accident last season. (Gladly, it saved his life from competing in the Mile Miglia) :P Due to the supposedly short grid, I was possibly looking to enter Russell's car with De Portago in the car.

You can enter De Portago as a privateer. I can provide you with a 1956 factory-spec Ferrari for him to compete with.

Scuderia Ferrari entries
Umberto Maglioli (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 801 chassis 3, Ferrari DS50 engine 2
Tony Gaze (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 801 chassis 2, Ferrari DS50 engine 3
Giulio Cabianca (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 801 chassis 1, Ferrari DS50 engine 1

There will be a fourth entry, which is only symbolic in nature and will remain in the garage throughout the weekend, for obvious reasons given its registered driver.
Paco Godia (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari R560 chassis 4, Ferrari RS560 engine 4
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Gonzalez

Post by Gonzalez »

DemocalypseNow wrote:
Gonzalez wrote:Before I submit my team's entries, I would like to ask anyone here who is willing to enter a privateer for me. I obviously cannot enter a privateer together with my team Connaught as per the rules.

You can enter De Portago as a privateer. I can provide you with a 1956 factory-spec Ferrari for him to compete with.

Scuderia Ferrari entries
Umberto Maglioli (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 801 chassis 3, Ferrari DS50 engine 2
Tony Gaze (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 801 chassis 2, Ferrari DS50 engine 3
Giulio Cabianca (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 801 chassis 1, Ferrari DS50 engine 1

There will be a fourth entry, which is only symbolic in nature and will remain in the garage throughout the weekend, for obvious reasons given its registered driver.
Paco Godia (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari R560 chassis 4, Ferrari RS560 engine 4

OK, as long as that's possible, De Portago gets a call for an offer to take part in the Ferrari. The name of the entrant will be provisionally named under the "Pegaso" banner.

Alfonso De Portago - Ferrari R560 chassis 1 - Ferrari RS560 engine 1

Connaught will also be back, with the same setup as last race.
Last edited by Gonzalez on 30 Aug 2017, 17:50, edited 3 times in total.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Gonzalez wrote:Alfonso De Portago - Ferrari R560 chassis 1 - Ferrari RS560 engine 7

Scuderia Ferrari does not approve of this unauthorised equipment allocation.

Mr De Portago will instead be dispatched Ferrari R560 chassis 1 and Ferrari RS560 engine 1.

Image Image
Bandon23

Post by Bandon23 »

Norfolk Engineering will enter Spain with the same setup from previous race.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Gordini Will repair all damage

Robert Manzon Gordini Type 56 chassis 4 Gordini G258/A engine 5
Jo Bonnier Gordini Type 56 chassis 1 Gordini G258/A engine 2
Georges Burggraf Gordini Type 56 chassis 2 Gordini G258/A engine 1
Andre Simon Gordini Type 56 chassis 3 Gordini G258/A engine 3 ( With Voeckler Permission)
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Once again: Onofre Marimón (Asso di Fiori) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 14, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 8
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Giorgio Scarlatti (Scuderia Adriatica) - Lancia D50 chassis 4, Lancia DS50 engine 3
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

The usual four cars for OSCA.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

Officine Alfieri Maserati enters Gerino Gerini with a Cooper T41 chasis 2 and the Maserati 56A engine 2
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Casimiro de Oliveira will enter with a Ferrari package at the Spanish GP (Biscione can confirm what package).

If there isn't any Ferrari available, he will use a OSCA, loaned from Bernie Ecclestone (chassis 3, TBC by Klon), and a 1500-56 engine 7 (if pi agrees to)

DB will enter their usual stuff to Spain as well.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Normal32 wrote:Casimiro de Oliveira will enter with a Ferrari package at the Spanish GP (Biscione can confirm what package).

Ferrari will provide Sr. de Oliveira with the following package;

R560 chassis 3 / RS560 engine 2

Image Image
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

B.C.M.A. will proceed to scrap Wyvern engines 1 and 3, and proceed to build two new Wyvern units, to be designated engines 4 and 5.

B.C.M.A. will submit the same entries for Spain, with Wyvern engines 4 and 5 substituting for the scrapped engines 1 and 3, respectively.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

DemocalypseNow wrote:
Normal32 wrote:Casimiro de Oliveira will enter with a Ferrari package at the Spanish GP (Biscione can confirm what package).

Ferrari will provide Sr. de Oliveira with the following package;

R560 chassis 3 / RS560 engine 2

Alright then.

Casimiro de Oliveira - Ferrari R560 N3, Ferrari RS560 N2
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

For the final time in his driving career.

David Hampshire (Hampshire Racing Alliance) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 16, Vanwall VE2 engine 2
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Rob Walker will repair whatever damages we have, and enter the same combinations for Spain
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Alfonso de Portago
1-90: De Portago grabs the opportunity at an F1 drive in front of his home crowd.
91-100: prefers to stick to sportscars after his F1 injury.
87 - After considering the pros and cons of driving for a completely new team, de Portago's patriotic spirit wins out.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Motorsport wrote:Ferrari salutes former racer Godia at first Spanish GP

Scuderia Ferrari have created a tribute to their former charge Paco Godia, entering a 1956 Ferrari to the inaugural Spanish Grand Prix in his honour.

The Spaniard died while driving for Ferrari at the 1956 Scottish Grand Prix, and while he did not score any podiums during his tenure with La Scuderia, he is still remembered fondly by those at Maranello.

"He had an undeniable passion for motor racing, a key attribute of any member of Ferrari," said team co-ordinator Simone Bizzarri. "There was also raw pace in abundance, which tragically he was not given the time to refine."

"We felt that bringing an identical car to the one he raced in his final grands prix to his home race would be a fitting form of closure."

A Ferrari R560, draped in a Spanish flag, will remain in the team's fourth garage all weekend, alongside the 1957 cars of Umberto Maglioli, Tony Gaze and Giulio Cabianca.

Image Image
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

In the news

September 21st - Haakon VII of Norway dies; his son succeeds him as Olav V

September 21st - Sailship Pamir sinks in hurricane off Azores, 80 dead

September 21st - Pote Sarasin forms government after Thai coup

September 22nd - François Duvalier wins controversial Haitian election, ending months of instability

September 22nd - Honduran election results in Liberal parliamentary majority under military oversight

September 24th - French Army raid in Algiers results in capture of FLN leaders Saadi Yacef and Zohra Drif

September 24th - Camp Nou, Europe's largest stadium, opens in Barcelona

September 24th - Eisenhower sends National Guard to enforce integration of Little Rock high school

September 25th - Khrushchev announces new 7-year economic plan

September 26th - West Side Story premieres on Broadway

September 26th - Dag Hammarskjöld wins second term as UN Secretary General

September 29th - 300 die in Pakistani train accident

September 29th - Nuclear waste tank explodes in Kyshtym, prompting mass evacuations

September 30th - Sammarinese opposition claims Communist coup, barricades inside factory

October 1st - Opposition councilors in San Marino declare provisional government as regency expires

October 1st - US currency introduced with "In God We Trust" motto

October 2nd - The Bridge on the River Kwai opens in theatres

October 3rd - Willy Brandt takes office as Mayor of West Berlin

October 3rd - Allen Ginsberg wins obscenity trial over Howl

October 4th - USSR launches Sputnik satellite
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

The USSR has launched its Sputnik satellite and cancelled its Formula One programme, citing a belief that they have better technology for going upwards than going forwards
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Currently winning elsewhere
Watkins Glen Grand Prix (SCCA Nationals) - Fred Windridge (Glen Trophy/BP) - Walt Hansgen (Grand Prix/CM) - Harry Carter (CP) - Paul O'Shea (DM) - Gilbert Geitner (DP) - Gaston Andrey (EM) - William Burroughs (Dix Cup/EP) - Bob Holbert (Queen Catherine Cup/FM) - Freddy Barrette (Schuyler/FP) - Chuck Dietrich (GM) - Ed Hugus (Chieftain's Cup/GP) - Melvin Sachs (HM) - Bob Bucher (Seneca Cup/Collier Memorial/UR) - Paul Richards (F3) - Denise McCluggage (Ladies)

Tour de France automobile - Olivier Gendebien/Paul Frère

Notts SCC National @ Mallory Park - John Dalton (S+1.5/Formula Libre) - Gordon Jones (S1.5) - Tim Parnell (S1.5) - Peter Procter (Formula 3)

Angola Grand Prix @ Nova Lisboa - Joaquim Correira de Oliveira

CSCC Pacific Coast Championship @ Riverside - Bill Murphy (BM) - Richie Ginther (CM) - Dan Gurney (CP) - Bill Pollack (DM) - Jack Bates (DP) - Ron Pearson (EM) - Bill Love (EP) - Ricardo Rodríguez (FM) - Jean Pierre Kunstle (FM) - Mike Roetnor (FP) - Lew Brackner (FP) - Ignacio Lozano (GM) - Harold Dean (GM) - Walker Edmiston (HM) - Bill Pollack (F2) - John Lumkin (MG) - Ruth Levy (Ladies)

Gran Premio di Modena - Jean Behra

East German Formula 3 Championship @ Dresden - Lex Beels

Messina - San Rizzo - Mario Piccolo

Coupes d'Automne @ Montlhéry - Bob Hicks (S/GT+1.0) - Georges Houel (GT1.0+TS)

Peterborough MC National @ Silverstone - David Brough (S+1.5/S1.5/S1.25) - R.P. Bradley (S+1.5 Handicap) - Arthur Mallock (S1.5 Handicap) - Peter Arundell (S1.5 Handicap) - J.P. Hacking (Handicap) - Eric Broadley (1172F) - L.G. Hockney (750F) - Bill Wilks (Motor Sport Handicap) - Philip Robinson (Formula 3)

BARC National Meeting @ Goodwood - Archie Scott Brown (Open Trophy) - Roy Salvadori (Woodcote Cup.S2.0) - John Dalton (Marque) - Patsy Burt (Handicap) - Stuart Lewis-Evans (Formula 3)

Coppa d'Oro di Sicilia @ Siracusa - Colin Davis

SCCA Nationals @ Bridgehampton - Fred Windridge (BP) - Walt Hansgen (CM) - Harry Carter (CP/EP) - Bruce Kessler (DM) - Gilbert Geitner (DP) - Gaston Andrey (EM) - Charles Wallace (FM) - Lake Underwood (FP) - Frank Baptista (GM) - Tony Briggs (GP) - Gordon Wing (HM) - Robert Kahmer (Formula 3)

Danish Formula 3 @ Roskilde - Sven Andersson

Trenton 100 (USAC Nationals) - Pat O'Connor

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

October 5th 1957, Spanish Grand Prix qualifying

Brabham's failure to finish in Monza put a massive dent in his championship hopes, while Moss' own retirement prevented him from sealing the title with two races to spare. Instead, Moss, Brabham and 28 other drivers have appeared in Barcelona with 15 points separating the Brit from the Aussie.

1. Jack Fairman (Owen Racing Organisation) - OSCA F156A chassis 13, BRM P26 engine 3
2. Alan Stacey (Owen Racing Organisation) - OSCA F156A chassis 10, BRM P26 engine 4
3. Duncan Hamilton (Vandervell Products Ltd.) - Vanwall VW57 chassis 1, Vanwall VE2 engine 5
4. Umberto Maglioli (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 801 chassis 3, Ferrari DS50 engine 2
5. Tony Gaze (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 801 chassis 2, Ferrari DS50 engine 3
6. Giulio Cabianca (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 801 chassis 1, Ferrari DS50 engine 1
7. Paco Godia (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari R560 chassis 4, Ferrari RS560 engine 4
8. Alfonso De Portago (Pegaso) - Ferrari R560 chassis 1 - Ferrari RS560 engine 1
9. Jim Russell (Connaught Engineering) - Connaught Type B chassis 1, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 9
10. Stuart Lewis-Evans (Connaught Engineering) - Connaught Type B chassis 2, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 10
11. Archie Scott Brown (Norfolk Engineering) - Vanwall VW56 chassis 6, Vanwall VE2 engine 4
12. Robert Manzon (Gordini) - Gordini Type 56 chassis 4, Gordini G258/A engine 5
14. Jo Bonnier (Gordini) - Gordini Type 56 chassis 1, Gordini G258/A engine 2
15. Georges Burggraf (Gordini) - Gordini Type 56 chassis 2, Gordini G258/A engine 1
16. André Simon (Gordini) - Gordini Type 56 Chassis 3, Gordini G258/A engine 3
17. Onofre Marimón (Asso di Fiori) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 14, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 8
18. Giorgio Scarlatti (Scuderia Adriatica) - Lancia D50 chassis 4, Lancia DS50 engine 3
19. Stirling Moss (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 5, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 15
20. Juan Manuel Fangio (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 6, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 5
21. José Froilán González (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 7, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 6
22. Ottorino Volonterio (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 8, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 7
23. Gerino Gerini (Officine Alfieri Maserati) - Cooper T41 chassis 2, Maserati 56A engine 2
24. Casimiro de Oliveira (Casimiro de Oliveira) - Ferrari R560 chassis 3, Ferrari RS560 engine 2
25. Berardo Taraschi (Automobiles Deutsch & Bonnet) - DB 01 chassis 1, DB 84-1 engine 1
26. Peter Collins (B.C.M.A.) - B.C.M.A. RP.1001 chassis 1, B.C.M.A. A/AS Wyvern engine 4
27. Jack Brabham (B.C.M.A.) - B.C.M.A. RP.1001 chassis 2, B.C.M.A. A/AS Wyvern engine 2
28. Mike Hawthorn (B.C.M.A.) - B.C.M.A. RP.1001 chassis 3, B.C.M.A. A/AS Wyvern engine 5
29. David Hampshire (Hampshire Racing Alliance) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 16, Vanwall VE2 engine 2
30. B. Bira (Rob Walker Racing) - Lotus 10 chassis 6, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 1
31. Maurice Trintignant (Rob Walker Racing) - Lotus 10 chassis 7, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 2
32. Troy Ruttman (Rob Walker Racing) - B.C.M.A. C-01 chassis 4, B.C.M.A. A/AS Griffin engine 1

-After enterign four cars in Monza, Ferrari have reverted to three drivers at Pedralbes, allowing Consalvo Sanesi to end his season at home. Maglioli, Gaze and Cabianca will be driving, while a fourth entry was submitted in memory of the tragically deceased Paco Godia who died in an accident at the 1956 Scottish Grand Prix.
-Returning from injury, Spanish driver Alfonso de Portago will appear driving a privately-entered Ferrari in the name of sportscar manufacturer Pegaso.
-As Ramos disappointed in Monza, Gordini's four-car team includes regulars Manzon and Bonnier, Voeckler loaning André Simon and the recent rookie Georges Burggraf.
-After being benched for his home race, Giorgio Scarlatti drives the Lancia for Scuderia Adriatica in Pedralbes.
-Moving on from Monza, O.S.C.A. revert to a four-car formation, with Graham Hill getting the axe from the squad despite his points finish.
-Casimiro de Oliveira, a successful but aging Portuguese driver, has entered the race as the closest event to his home. The 50-year-old is the first Portuguese driver in the world championship.
-The likeable British privateer David Hampshire, after missing Monza, has appeared in Pedralbes in what will be the 39-year-old's last F1 appearance as a driver.
-Many teams did not appear due to financial constraints. Hernandez is missing its star driver and has a badly-damaged car, Volga's F1 programme was ended when funding was redirected to the nascent Soviet space missions, and the likes of Centro Sud, Ugolini and Loonmotor were simply unwilling to stray that far south. This results in one of the shortest entry lists this season and eliminates the need for a prequalifying session.

tommykl

Re: Alt-1957: Spain in preparation!

Post by tommykl »

Here's qualifying performance for Pedralbes.

Maglioli - 119
Russell - 115
Hawthorn - 115
Hamilton - 114
Manzon - 114
Scarlatti - 114
Fangio - 114
de Oliveira - 114
Taraschi - 114
Scott Brown - 113
Gaze - 112
Trintignant - 112
Gerini - 112
Brabham - 112
Fairman - 111
Volonterio - 111
Stacey - 110
Bira - 110
González - 109
Bonnier - 109
Lewis-Evans - 109
Cabianca - 108
Simon - 108
Marimón - 107
Burggraf - 107
Ruttman - 106
Hampshire - 106
de Portago - 105
Moss - 105
Collins - 105

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Qualifying results
1. Jack Brabham (B.C.M.A.) - 2:00.07
2. Peter Collins (B.C.M.A.) - 2:02.07
3. Mike Hawthorn (B.C.M.A.) - 2:02.49
4. Stirling Moss (O.S.C.A.) - 2:03.37
5. José Froilán González (O.S.C.A.) - 2:03.78
6. Ottorino Volonterio (O.S.C.A.) - 2:04.81
7. André Simon (Gordini) - 2:04.85
8. Juan Manuel Fangio (O.S.C.A.) - 2:05.49
9. Jo Bonnier (Gordini) - 2:05.83
10. Onofre Marimón (O.S.C.A.) - 2:05.90
11. Umberto Maglioli (Ferrari) - 2:06.15
12. Alan Stacey (O.S.C.A.-BRM) - 2:06.73
13. Tony Gaze (Ferrari) - 2:07.25
14. Robert Manzon (Gordini) - 2:08.56
15. Archie Scott Brown (Vanwall) - 2:08.71
16. Troy Ruttman (B.C.M.A.) - 2:09.17
17. Giulio Cabianca (Ferrari) - 2:09.19
18. B. Bira (Lotus-O.S.C.A.) - 2:09.95
19. Georges Burggraf (Gordini) - 2:10.49
20. Duncan Hamilton (Vanwall) - 2:10.56
21. Jack Fairman (O.S.C.A.-BRM) - 2:10.69
22. Stuart Lewis-Evans (Connaught-O.S.C.A.) - 2:11.27
23. David Hampshire (O.S.C.A.-Vanwall) - 2:11.61
24. Maurice Trintignant (Lotus-O.S.C.A.) - 2:12.10
25. Jim Russell (Connaught-O.S.C.A.) - 2:13.39
26. Gerino Gerini (Cooper-Maserati) - 2:14.35
27. Alfonso de Portago (Ferrari) - 2:17.40
28. Casimiro de Oliveira (Ferrari) - 2:18.35
29. Giorgio Scarlatti (Lancia) - 2:19.32
30. Berardo Taraschi (DB) - 2:30.04

An accurate image of the 1957 season. B.C.M.A. resume their monopoly on the front row, with Stirling Moss leading an O.S.C.A. 4-5-6-8 and the Gordinis following closely. Monza winner Marimón starts from the top 10, just ahead of Maglioli and Stacey, while Georges Burggraf will make his first race start from 19th position. Scarlatti disappoints slightly with another failure to qualify, while both Ferrari-driving privateers simply didn't have the right preparation to make the grid.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

And here is race performance.

Burggraf 37
Scott Brown 18
Fangio 15
Fairman 14
Trintignant 10
Brabham 7
Stacey 6
Gaze 6
Maglioli 3
Hamilton 0
Lewis-Evans 0
Simon -1
González -3
Hampshire -3
Volonterio -3
Marimón -4
Russell -4
Bira -8
Manzon -16
Bonnier -20
Collins -22
Ruttman -26
Hawthorn -27
Moss -27
Gerini -29
Cabianca -30

The bumpy surface will cause many mechanical failures, with only eight drivers finishing. There will be two engine failures, but no accidents are scheduled.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

October 6th 1957, Spanish Grand Prix

Brabham and Moss had relatively difficult starts, allowing Peter Collins to lead off the line and control the first few laps. Mike Hawthorn took second place at first, but a mistake on the second lap allowed André Simon to pass him, leaving Brabham in fourth place and Moss only eighth. The positions exchanged constantly, though, with González, Volonterio, Fangio, Bonnier, Gaze and Maglioli also involved in this battle. Jim Russell was the first victim of the Catalonian circuit when his front right suspension arm failed, joined by Monza winner Marimón on the following lap with the same issue. David Hampshire followed suit with gearbox failure on the fifth lap, as did Jack Fairman.

No driver could hold onto second place for more than a lap until lap 7, when González held onto it. Behind him, the fight grew to include Alan Stacey, Georges Burggraf and Archie Scott Brown. Brabham, faster than all around but incapable of passing anyone, grew impatient and punted teammate Hawthorn out of the race, leaving the Brit scowling by the roadside and joined by countryman Alan Stacey, whose suspension had failed. Enlightening Alan about his condition, Mike obtained permission to taunt the passing Brabham using the former's wooden leg.

It took González until lap 10 to challenge Peter Collins' lead, joined by Maglioli. The frustrated Brabham and Moss were mired in 7th and 8th places, putting the title in Moss' hands provisionally. Lewis-Evans's Connaught contracted an oil leak, leaving the field with 19 cars. On the twelfth lap, González managed a last-ditch attempt on Collins and took the race lead, while Bonnier and Simon placed their Gordinis in a close duo for fourth place. On the 14th lap, González put a tyre on oil and wobbled wide while struggling to keep control of his O.S.C.A.. This let Maglioli into the lead, ahead of Collins and González himself, with Fangio catching them and Simon, Brabham, Volonterio and Bonnier fighting for fifth. Maglioli's stint in the lead didn't last, as Collins found his way past on lap 23.

Shortly after lap 20, the heat began to take its toll on the cars as well as the bumps. Bira's differential had already failed when Jo Bonnier blew a tyre and couldn't limp back to the pits. Cabianca's Ferrari gearbox failed on the next lap, followed by Scott Brown's suspension and Manzon's engine. By this point, González had lost his place to Fangio and Brabham, who was regaining his composure. With Moss in ninth place, Brabham's title aspirations were not yet dead. A couple laps later, he passed Maglioli to take third place behind Collins and the surprising Juan Manuel Fangio. Maglioli kept dropping through the field until his clutch finally failed on the 29th lap. Ottorino Volonterio's engine followed suit two laps later.

Brabham's climb through the pack continued when he passed Fangio on lap 30, making for a B.C.M.A. 1-2 behind the comfortable Peter Collins. In the meantime, Moss was falling back even further, dropping behind Hamilton and Trintignant. He was still theoretically champion, though, as Fangio took second place again on lap 34! Moss decided to compound Brabham's issues, finally finding pace and gaining positions. When González experienced another track-induced puncture, Moss inherited sixth position behind Collins, Fangio, Brabham, the surprising Georges Burggraf and André Simon.

Brabham's hopes were reignited on lap 46, when his teammate Peter Collins suffered a gearbox failure after leading most of the race. Brabham inherited second place behind Fangio, who now had a comfortable lead. Stirling Moss was in fifth place and still virtually champion, but this only lasted a short moment. On lap 47, Stirling's suspension fell prey to the bumpy circuit. Georges Burggraf was now in a sensational third place, but this came with a price. The young Frenchman had not been keeping track of his fuel gauge and pulled over with less than 10 laps to go, out of fuel, out of luck and out of tears.

Despite Brabham's best efforts and the fastest lap of the race, he was unable to catch a Juan Manuel Fangio on imperial form. The Argentine scored a popular third career win and his first in over four years, with Brabham's second place leaving him still in championship contention. Tony Gaze scored a second consecutive podium thanks to a late pass on André Simon, who scores three points for Gordini. Troy Ruttman finishes fifth in the Rob Walker B.C.M.A., just ahead of another creditable points finish for Duncan Hamilton. Trintignant and Gerini were the only other finishers.

1. Juan Manuel Fangio (O.S.C.A.) 1:59:19.04
2. Jack Brabham (B.C.M.A.) +30.07
3. Tony Gaze (Ferrari) +1 lap
4. André Simon (Gordini) +2 laps
5. Troy Ruttman (B.C.M.A.) +3 laps
6. Duncan Hamilton (Vanwall) +3 laps
7. Maurice Trintignant (Lotus-O.S.C.A.) +4 laps
8. Gerino Gerini (Cooper-Maserati) +5 laps
Ret. Georges Burggraf (Gordini) +10 laps/Out of fuel
Ret. Peter Collins (B.C.M.A.) +11 laps/Gearbox
Ret. Stirling Moss (O.S.C.A.) +11 laps/Suspension
Ret. José Froilán González (O.S.C.A.) +18 laps/Puncture
Ret. Ottorino Volonterio (O.S.C.A.) +26 laps/Engine
Ret. Umberto Maglioli (Ferrari) +28 laps/Clutch
Ret. Robert Manzon (Gordini) +32 laps/Engine
Ret. Archie Scott Brown (Vanwall) +33 laps/Suspension
Ret. Giulio Cabianca (Ferrari) +34 laps/Gearbox
Ret. Jo Bonnier (Gordini) +35 laps/Puncture
Ret. B. Bira (Lotus-O.S.C.A.) +41 laps/Differential
Ret. Stuart Lewis-Evans (Connaught-O.S.C.A.) +46 laps/Oil leak
Ret. Mike Hawthorn (B.C.M.A.) +49 laps/Collision
Ret. Alan Stacey (O.S.C.A.-BRM) +49 laps/Suspension
Ret. Jack Fairman (O.S.C.A.-BRM) +50 laps/Gearbox
Ret. David Hampshire (O.S.C.A.-Vanwall) +52 laps/Gearbox
Ret. Onofre Marimón (O.S.C.A.) +54 laps/Suspension
Ret. Jim Russell (Connaught-O.S.C.A.) +55 laps/Suspension

Fastest lap: Jack Brabham (B.C.M.A.) - 2:02.91

Championship standings
Drivers

1. Stirling Moss - 41
2. Jack Brabham - 33
3. Peter Collins - 22
4. Umberto Maglioli - 19
5. André Simon - 15
6. Onofre Marimón - 14 (1 win)
7. José Froilán González - 14 (1 2nd)
8. Juan Manuel Fangio - 12
9. Robert Manzon - 11 (1 win)
10. Mike Hawthorn - 11 (2 3rds)
11. Ottorino Volonterio - 10
12. Jo Bonnier - 9
13. Tony Gaze - 8 (2 3rds)
14. Duncan Hamilton - 8 (1 4th)
15. B. Bira - 7
16. Troy Ruttman - 4
17. Giulio Cabianca - 3 (1 4th, 2 7ths)
18. Graham Hill - 3 (1 4th, 2 Rets)
19. Masten Gregory - 2 (1 5th, 1 8th)
20. Maria Teresa de Filippis - 2 (1 5th, 2 11ths)
21. Alan Stacey - 1 (1 6th, 1 7th)
22. Joe Flynn - 1 (1 6th, 1 Ret)

Constructors
1. O.S.C.A. - 67 (CHAMPIONS)
2. B.C.M.A. - 56
3. Gordini - 33
4. Ferrari - 30
5. Lotus-O.S.C.A. - 9
6. Vanwall - 8
7. Alfa Romeo - 2
8. O.S.C.A.-BRM - 1 (1 6th, 1 7th)
9. IRC-O.S.C.A. - 1 (1 6th, 1 Ret)

Entrants
1. Officine Specializzate Costruzione Automobili - 57
2. British Commonwealth Motorsport Association - 56
3. Scuderia Ferrari - 30
4. Alexander Racing Team-Gordini - 25
5. Asso di Fiori - 14
6. Écurie Voeckler - 12
7. Rob Walker Racing - 11
8. Vandervell Products Ltd. - 8
9. Scuderia Centro Sud - 2
10. Owen Racing Organisation - 1 (1 6th, 1 7th)
11. Irish Racing Cars - 1 (1 6th, 1 Ret)

Post-race report to follow.

tommykl

Re: Alt-1957: Spanish Grand Prix up!

Post by tommykl »

Post-race report
Injuries
Nothing to see here, move along.

Damages
Hawthorn's chassis (RP.1001 chassis 3) - £7 050
Volonterio's engine (1557 engine 7) - £14 946
Manzon's engine (G258/A engine 5) - £6 449

Prize money (distance)
Juan Manuel Fangio - £2 000
Jack Brabham - £2 000
Tony Gaze - £1 982
André Simon - £1 964
Troy Ruttman - £1 946
Duncan Hamilton - £1 946
Maurice Trintignant - £1 929
Gerino Gerini - £1 911
Georges Burggraf - £1 821
Peter Collins - £1 804
Stirling Moss - £1 804
José Froilán González - £1 679
Ottorino Volonterio - £1 536
Umberto Maglioli - £1 500
Robert Manzon - £1 429
Archie Scott Brown - £1 411
Giulio Cabianca - £1 393
Jo Bonnier - £1 375
B. Bira - £1 268
Stuart Lewis-Evans - £1 179
Mike Hawthorn - £1 125
Alan Stacey - £1 125
Jack Fairman - £1 107
David Hampshire - £1 071
Onofre Marimón - £1 036
Jim Russell - £1 018
Alfonso de Portago - £500
Casimiro de Oliveira - £500
Giorgio Scarlatti - £500
Berardo Taraschi - £500

Prize money (position)
Juan Manuel Fangio - £26 000
Jack Brabham - £24 250
Tony Gaze - £16 500
André Simon - £11 750
Troy Ruttman - £9 000
Duncan Hamilton - £6 250
Maurice Trintignant - £5 500
Gerino Gerini - £4 750
Georges Burggraf - £4 000
Peter Collins - £3 250
Stirling Moss - £2 500
José Froilán González - £2 250
Ottorino Volonterio - £2 000
Umberto Maglioli - £1 750
Robert Manzon - £1 500
Archie Scott Brown - £1 250
Giulio Cabianca - £1 000
Jo Bonnier - £750
B. Bira - £500
Stuart Lewis-Evans - £250

Budgets have been updated.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

You may now start voting for the calendar order for 1958. As only 10 options are allowed for polls, I made the undoubtedly controversial decision to remove Monza from the running for season opener. Each poll will run for 24 hours. In the meantime...

IV United States Grand Prix - Entry list
1. Isabelle Haskell (Isabelle Haskell) - O.S.C.A F156A chassis 16, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 12
2. John Norwood (John Norwood) - Lister BHL chassis 1, Bristol BS1 engine 1
3. Stirling Moss (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 5, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 15
4. Juan Manuel Fangio (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 6, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 5
5. José Froilán González (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 7, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 6
6. Ottorino Volonterio (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 8, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 13
7. Archie Scott Brown (Norfolk Engineering) - Vanwall VW56 chassis 6, Vanwall VE2 engine 4
8. Umberto Maglioli (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 801 chassis 3, Ferrari DS50 engine 2
9. Phil Hill (North American Racing Team) - Ferrari 801 chassis 2, Ferrari DS50 engine 3
10. Masten Gregory (North American Racing Team) - Ferrari 801 chassis 1, Ferrari DS50 engine 1
11. driver TBA (Madman Muntz) - Kurtis Kraft chassis TBA, Offenhauser engine TBA
12. driver TBA (Madman Muntz) - Kurtis Kraft chassis TBA, Offenhauser engine TBA
13. driver TBA (Madman Muntz) - Kurtis Kraft chassis TBA, Offenhauser engine TBA
14. Robert Manzon (Gordini) - Gordini Type 56 chassis 2, Gordini G258/A engine 1
15. Jo Bonnier (Gordini) - Gordini Type 56 chassis 1, Gordini G258/A engine 3
16. Hernando da Silva Ramos (Gordini) - Gordini Type 56 chassis 4, Gordini G258/A engine 5
17. Harry Schell (Gordini) - Gordini Type 56 chassis 3, Gordini G258/A engine 2
18. Stuart Lewis-Evans (Connaught Engineering) - Connaught Type B chassis 1, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 9
19. B. Bira (Rob Walker Racing) - Lotus 10 chassis 6, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 1
20. Troy Ruttman (Rob Walker Racing) - Lotus 10 chassis 7, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 2
21. Peter Collins (B.C.M.A.) - B.C.M.A. RP.1001 chassis 1, B.C.M.A. A/AS Wyvern engine 4
22. Jack Brabham (B.C.M.A.) - B.C.M.A. RP.1001 chassis 2, B.C.M.A. A/AS Wyvern engine 2
23. Mike Hawthorn (B.C.M.A.) - B.C.M.A. RP.1001 chassis 3, B.C.M.A. A/AS Wyvern engine 5
24. Onofre Marimón (Asso di Fiori) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 14, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 8

You have until Tuesday, September 26th 2017 at noon CET. Travel will not be subsidised like it was for Bangkok, so attend at your own financial risk...

Normal32

Re: Alt-1957: Vote for calendar/Enter Watkins Glen!

Post by Normal32 »

Isabelle Haskell will ask for a OSCA '56, or if possible, '57 package.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I'm now beginning what should hopefully become an annual tradition of questionable US Grand Prix entries. Starting with:

John Norwood is the entrant. The car is a Lister (because F1 is sorely lacking Listers). The engine is a 2-litre Bristol, so it should be a winner. I'll leave the chassis and engine performance at the organiser's discretion.

For anyone wondering why I'm not entering Bill Rutan like I said I would, I for some reason thought this was 1958, not 1957.
#FreeGonzo
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

In a bid to win the remaining two championships after securing the constructors' title, OSCA will send all four cars to America.

Stirling Moss (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 5, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 15
Juan Manuel Fangio (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 6, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 5
José Froilán González (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 7, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 6
Ottorino Volonterio (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 8, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 13

Normal32 wrote:Isabelle Haskell will ask for a OSCA '56, or if possible, '57 package.

I can send you 1557 engine 12. For a chassis, please contact one of OSCA's various customers.
Last edited by pi314159 on 21 Sep 2017, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

pi314159 wrote:In a bid to win the remaining two championships after securing the constructors' title, OSCA will send all four cars to America.

Stirling Moss (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 5, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 15
Juan Manuel Fangio (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 6, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 5
José Froilán González (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 7, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 6
Ottorino Volonterio (O.S.C.A.) - O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 8, O.S.C.A. 1557 engine 7

Normal32 wrote:Isabelle Haskell will ask for a OSCA '56, or if possible, '57 package.

I can send you 1557 engine 12. For a chassis, please contact one of OSCA's various customers.

Alright, we will ask the Hampshire Racing Alliance for O.S.C.A. F156A chassis 16 in which case.
Bandon23

Post by Bandon23 »

Norfolk Engineering will enter Watkins Glen for the final race with the same setup.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Scuderia Ferrari will send only a sole car over to the United States;

Umberto Maglioli - Ferrari 801 chassis 3, Ferrari DS50 engine 2

Image Image
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

After agreeing with Biscione, NART (North American Racing Team) will enter the 1957 United States Grand Prix held at Watkins GLen with the following equipment:

Ferrari 801 chassis 2, Ferrari DS50 engine 3
Ferrari 801 chassis 1, Ferrari DS50 engine 1

Phil Hill will drive the chassis #2, as been agreed with Scuderia Ferrari, while the chassis #1 will be driven either by one of the following drivers:

Masten Gregory (USA)
Bob Said (USA)
Robert Weiler (USA)
Ed Lunken (USA)

RNG in order of preference Tommy.
Last edited by Miguel98 on 24 Sep 2017, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Madman Muntz would like to enter a trio of Kurtis Kraft chassis, powered by Offenhauser engines.

In order of preference, the trio of drivers he would like are:
  • Dempsey Wilson
  • Don Edmunds
  • AJ Foyt
  • Gene Force
  • Chuck Rodee
  • Shorty Templeman

Obviously, the whole Kurtis Kraft-Offenhauser thing is pretty questionable and unlikely to succeed at a road course. To that I say - that's fine. I've been running Volga for most of the year so it's not like I mind.
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

After confirmation from Londoner in the chat:

Isabelle Haskell - O.S.C.A F156A chassis 16, O.S.C.A 1557 engine 12
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Gordini Entries for their final Grand Prix

Robert Manzon - Gordini Type 56 chassis 2 - Gordini G258/A engine 1
Andre Simon - Gordini Type 56 chassis 1 - Gordini G258/A engine 3
Hernado Da Silva Ramos - Gordini Type 56 chassis 4 - Gordini G258/A engine 5
Harry Schell - Gordini Type 56 Chassis 3 - Gordini G258/A Engine 2