2016 Abbadabby Grand Prix - The Marina Melee

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

2016 Abbadabby Grand Prix - The Marina Melee

Post by Ataxia »

It's the last Grand Prix of 2016.

In the blue corner, we have the defending champion of the world! He's the slick yardstick who's shockingly quick, it's Lightning Lewis Hamilton!

In the red corner, we have the current leader of the title fight. He's bold, controlled with a heart of gold, it's Napalm Nico Rosberg!

Who will prevail? Who will win the title under the lights of the Yas Marina circuit? FIND OUT NEXT SUNDAYsundaysundaysunday!!!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Waris

Re: 2016 Abbadabby Grand Prix - The Marina Melee

Post by Waris »

Why do they use the flag of the United Arab Emirates instead of the flag of Abu Dhabi?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Waris wrote:Why do they use the flag of the United Arab Emirates instead of the flag of Abu Dhabi?

Well, they don't use the European flag for Baku...
#FreeGonzo
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Waris wrote:Why do they use the flag of the United Arab Emirates instead of the flag of Abu Dhabi?

They're just keeping the door open for the eventual GP at Dubai Autodrome.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Waris

Post by Waris »

Nuppiz wrote:

They're just keeping the door open for the eventual GP at Dubai Autodrome.

That makes no sense.
If they were doing that, you would expect them to use the flag of Abu Dhabi, since if there would be a GP at Dubai, they would have to use the flag of the UAE twice. Either that, or use the UAE flag once and the flag of Dubai once.

But anyway, as Simtek states above, they don't even use the flag of Europe for the "European" GP (whereas previously, while it was actually in Europe, they did). So it's not like they're even consistent.
IceG

Post by IceG »

What is the flag of Europe, or are we assuming that the flag of the EU (which of course does not cover all of Europe) would be used ?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

IceG wrote:What is the flag of Europe, or are we assuming that the flag of the EU (which of course does not cover all of Europe) would be used ?

The EU flag is what I'm talking about, although it is also used (originally used, in fact) by the Council of Europe, which does include every European country with the exceptions of Belarus and (of course) the Vatican.
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Presumably the flag of the EU would be used, as it is the closest thing to a flag of Europe. However, I should also bring up the fact that when held in Valencia, the European Grand Prix also used the flag of Spain...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Waris

Post by Waris »

tommykl wrote:Presumably the flag of the EU would be used, as it is the closest thing to a flag of Europe. However, I should also bring up the fact that when held in Valencia, the European Grand Prix also used the flag of Spain...

Really?? I must admit I totally missed that. Can you reference that somewhere?
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Like others have said, races always use the flag of the country. Plus the only reason it's called the Abu Dhabi GP is because United Arab Emirates is too long, UAE sounds sort of awkward, and Emirati... I don't know what's wrong with that one, but they didn't do it.

Also the flag of Abu Dhabi is terrible.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
IceG

Post by IceG »

And (hopefully) that ends this week's episode of "Fun with Flags"
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

"It's race time! it's the Joyce Marina grand prix"
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

IceG wrote:And (hopefully) that ends this week's episode of "Fun with Flags"

I prefer the title Vivacious Vexillology.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Any rain forecasted for this weekend?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Rob Dylan wrote:Any rain forecasted for this weekend?

Only for after the race, when Rosberg wins the championship :)
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Prediction for the race: Rosberg to choke the championship away.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

DanielPT wrote:Prediction for the race: Rosberg to choke the championship away.

I had a dream the other night that Rosberg won the race (and hence the championship), despite losing a well-proportioned lead to a mid-race safety car.

If this indeed happens, I invite you all to bring me plenty of sleeping pills and Roquefort so that I may become some kind of cheese-addled clairvoyant.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Well - should be good race, somewhere in the pack at least . And DRS and Pirellis mean that unlike 2010 there should be plenty of passing at this track .
Generally I'm not keen on having 2 long straights ( I like to see drivers doing something more than change gear), but it does work at Yas Marina to get some passing. Maybe a little too easy to pass..but I'll let that go
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

If that does happen I'll be surprised to be honest. If the last few races of him pootling along are anything to go by it's going to take a cock-up from someone else to put him out of contention.
Just For One Day...
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Still wouldn't hold a candle to the Choke Champ Will Power.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

CoopsII wrote:

If that does happen I'll be surprised to be honest. If the last few races of him pootling along are anything to go by it's going to take a cock-up from someone else to put him out of contention.

It's not going to do Hamilton any good just driving away from the pack at the front, he's got to make something happen to displace Rosberg (assuming the Mercs get into the first corner 1:2), and Red Bull seem well up for a fight, so it ~could~ be pretty interesting ...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

madmark1974 wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

It's not going to do Hamilton any good just driving away from the pack at the front, he's got to make something happen to displace Rosberg (assuming the Mercs get into the first corner 1:2), and Red Bull seem well up for a fight, so it ~could~ be pretty interesting ...

Christian Horner has said that Hamilton needs to back the pack up so other drivers can challenge Rosberg. Drivers like... Riccardo and Verstappen, who in that scenario, might then be able to challenge Lewis for the win!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

It seems a bit odd Button announcing this will *probably* be his final race, when he'd basically already said that anyway.

I hope he has a good one, not a Coutlhard-in-Brazil-2008. I shall miss him - he's been in F1 for half my lifetime!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Paul Hayes wrote:I hope he has a good one, not a Coutlhard-in-Brazil-2008. I shall miss him - he's been in F1 for half my lifetime!

I hope he has an anonymous drive to PNowhere. A proper sendoff matching Button's actual talent would be most suitable.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Klon wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:I hope he has a good one, not a Coutlhard-in-Brazil-2008. I shall miss him - he's been in F1 for half my lifetime!

I hope he has an anonymous drive to PNowhere. A proper sendoff matching Button's actual talent would be most suitable.

Podium finish it is then
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Klon wrote:A proper sendoff matching Button's actual talent would be most suitable.

So a lot of complaining about "massive understeer" on team radio before a retirement on the pitlane as the McHonda breaks down again.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Waris

Post by Waris »

And for more than half my lifetime!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

On a similar theme, Kvyat's current weekend is a good summation of his 2016 season so far. He got a puncture 20 minutes into the beginning of both Free Practice sessions, both causing him to stop doing any running. In the second practice the TR team brought in Sainz also, so it looks like something's seriously wrong with their tyres, or the way they're handling those tyres.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Should Sunday unfold much like last year's race (which is a real possibility regarding how dull the track is) or the last few races (in essence), with Hamilton winning from pole and Rosberg starting and finishing in second, would this be the most unspectacular championship decider since, I don't know, 2001?
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Klon wrote:

Still salty about 2009 I see...
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

good_Ralf wrote:Should Sunday unfold much like last year's race (which is a real possibility regarding how dull the track is) or the last few races (in essence), with Hamilton winning from pole and Rosberg starting and finishing in second, would this be the most unspectacular championship decider since, I don't know, 2001?

Pretty much. And that's what will happen indeed
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

It is quite incredible how little hype there is for a championship going down to the wire :P That's what happens when you have the same two drivers over and over again I guess.

I personally just want to get onto 2017 myself.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Carlos Sainz Jr after qualifying: "it's a massive improvement since Friday because we are no longer having punctures"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:
Klon wrote:

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:
Klon wrote:

I will never not be. ;)
IceG

Post by IceG »

The way Hamilton drove his three qualy laps (Q1, Q2, Q3) was something else; he exuded confidence and controlled aggression. He also had clearly thought out his tyre warming strategy and the way he took certain corners was innovative and gave him time that others could not find.

Rosberg looked tight and at the edge of his ability, there was no flair. He looked like a driver who knows he can lose, fearful of attacking Hamilton, fearful of not keeping second place and fearful of his (slightly older) engine components letting him down if he uses full chat.

But this does look like it will be an epic race because the Ferraris and Red Bulls all genuinely look like they are capable of getting involved giving Rosberg (and possibly Hamilton) the choice of crashing with drivers who have absolutely nothing to lose or giving way. It it is a shame that Verstappen is so far back.

We will get either a deserving four times world champion or a deserving new world champion; I don't care which. Based on what I saw today, I think Hamilton will do it, winning from the front while Rosberg will get swamped by the Ferraris and Red Bulls.

I am sure I will be proven massively wrong in 24 hours.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Kimi to accidentally take out Lewis at the start, say 'I don't give a shite' and then encourage the rest of the viewing audience to say the same. That's my prediction for tomorrow.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Barbazza wrote:Kimi to accidentally take out Lewis at the start, say 'I don't give a shite' and then encourage the rest of the viewing audience to say the same. That's my prediction for tomorrow.

he will just say bwoaaah!!! and walk off shrugging his shoulders
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

"Lewis Hamilton to win the championship!"
"Booooooo!"
"Ok, Nico Rosberg to win the championship!"
"Booooooooooooo!"
"...Ok, Mercedes to win the championship, Rio Haryanto hats for everyone!"
"Yeeeeeeeeeaaah!"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I predict a boring race. Hamilton making a good start, Rosberg following him closely and both Mercedes opening a good gap for Ferrari/Red Bull. Force India having an easy time keeping McLaren and Williams at bay. Sainz struggling to overtake Ocon during all race.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.