F1 Sold

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CoopsII

F1 Sold

Post by CoopsII »

Sadly, it now appears too late for Biscione to launch a take over bid from his vast personal fortunes...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37273066
Last edited by CoopsII on 09 Sep 2016, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Re: F1 Sold (nearly)

Post by Rob Dylan »

I knew we should have toppled Biscione when we had the chance, and installed the eternal leader Captain Hammer.

But seriously, how massively does this affect the overall sport? Is it at a management level or will it affect decisions made on rules and drivers?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

There have been suggestions Bernie may be offloaded. I doubt it personally, the only way he will leave F1 is in a pine box
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:There have been suggestions Bernie may be offloaded. I doubt it personally, the only way he will leave F1 is in a pine box

Fat chance, Bernie will have done a deal with God or the Devil, and gotten the better end of it too. Expect us to see him in charge for another 40 years.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Rob Dylan wrote:I knew we should have toppled Biscione when we had the chance, and installed the eternal leader Captain Hammer.

This is a violation of GPR's strict lese-majeste laws, and a team from Central Services has been dispatched to facilitate your extraction and termination.

See? I can do this authoritarian thing too. Can I be CEO of Formula 1 now please?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Biscione wrote:a team from Central Services has been dispatched to facilitate your extraction and termination.

Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Biscione wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:I knew we should have toppled Biscione when we had the chance, and installed the eternal leader Captain Hammer.

This is a violation of GPR's strict lese-majeste laws, and a team from Central Services has been dispatched to facilitate your extraction and termination.

See? I can do this authoritarian thing too. Can I be CEO of Formula 1 now please?

If you want to do it like someone capable of running F1, you should sue Rob Dylan for conspiring against you, derogatory comparisons with dictators and having the temerity to place your name in the same sentence as Captain Hammer's name. You then win the case with an award (or settlement) larger than all Rob Dylan's past, present and future earnings. And then assume the F1 CEO position.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Eric Blair wrote:But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Biscione.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Eric Blair wrote:But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Biscione.

That's from this forum's very own literary masterpiece, Ten Forty-Nine.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
mario

Post by mario »

But seriously, how massively does this affect the overall sport? Is it at a management level or will it affect decisions made on rules and drivers?

However, it is worth noting that the current deal wouldn't see an immediate buyout of the sport - it is reported as being a phased takeover, with Liberty Media initially only taking a small stake in FOM as it works on getting the necessary regulatory approval.

Because of that, you probably will not see any immediate changes in the management of the commercial side of the sport. Given that Liberty Media have previously taken a relatively hands off approach to their sub-divisions, it is quite possible that we might not see that many changes over the medium term either.

On the other hand, Wolff has made some comments which suggests that he believes there will be a more noticeable shake up - he has indicated that Liberty Media might want to open up media access to the sport, but we will have to see how things shake out.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

How does maybe opening media access to the sport, which sounds positive, marry up with the current trend of closing F1 behind pay walls I wonder?
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Do I still stand a chance of influencing the future of the sport by marrying one of Bernie's daughters?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

dr-baker wrote:Do I still stand a chance of influencing the future of the sport by marrying one of Bernie's daughters?

There are many good reasons for marrying one of Bernie's daughters, but availability may be limited.
And I'm not sure what credentials are required
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

mario wrote:

However, it is worth noting that the current deal wouldn't see an immediate buyout of the sport - it is reported as being a phased takeover, with Liberty Media initially only taking a small stake in FOM as it works on getting the necessary regulatory approval.

Because of that, you probably will not see any immediate changes in the management of the commercial side of the sport. Given that Liberty Media have previously taken a relatively hands off approach to their sub-divisions, it is quite possible that we might not see that many changes over the medium term either.

On the other hand, Wolff has made some comments which suggests that he believes there will be a more noticeable shake up - he has indicated that Liberty Media might want to open up media access to the sport, but we will have to see how things shake out.

mario wrote:he has indicated that Liberty Media might want to open up media access to the sport,

mario wrote: he has indicated that Liberty Media might want to open up media access to the sport,

mario wrote: he has indicated that Liberty Media might want to open up media access to the sport,

My body is ready for classical GP's beeing available to watch. Shut up, and take my money FOM!
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

The pessimist in me warns of this word:

mario wrote:might

Even if it is true, I would think Liberty would honour existing agreements, if only to avoid a possibly costly buyout/early termination clause. Though it would be interesting as I would have thought Bernie would only apply that for others backing off from deals.

Plus its initially only a minority stake. It could be years before we see any change. That said, better late than never...
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
CoopsII

Re: F1 Sold

Post by CoopsII »

Collieafc wrote:The pessimist in me warns of this word:

mario wrote:might

Even if it is true, I would think Liberty would honour existing agreements, if only to avoid a possibly costly buyout/early termination clause. Though it would be interesting as I would have thought Bernie would only apply that for others backing off from deals.

Plus its initially only a minority stake. It could be years before we see any change. That said, better late than never...

I agree. Equally, whilst some people I've been talking to seem to think this could be the end of pay-per-view and the return of free F1 on terrestrial television I'm highly sceptical. Not only would that mean ripping up numerous contracts around the world and incurring the attendant costs of that and stop a major source of income for the group it would be, sorry to say, a backwards step in this modern age. We may see some changes to the choices currently available but I still think they could be a decade away.
Just For One Day...
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/344696/new-f1-chairman-eyes-races-in-great-cities/

How does this make you feel?

I couldn't resist listening to the "America bathplug Yeah" song after reading the article :D
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

That first sentence says it all, really:
GPUpdate wrote:Chase Carey is keen to take the sport to "the great cities in the world", including locations such as Los Angeles, New York and Miami.

Now, I don't count myself as a particular intellectual mastermind, but there appears to be something glaringly obvious linking those three cities together. Are the American rounds going to have double-points?

Also, I'm not sure which universe classes Miami as one of "the great cities in the world". I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement, but then again, I'm not an intellectual mastermind.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Rob Dylan wrote:That first sentence says it all, really:
GPUpdate wrote:Chase Carey is keen to take the sport to "the great cities in the world", including locations such as Los Angeles, New York and Miami.

Now, I don't count myself as a particular intellectual mastermind, but there appears to be something glaringly obvious linking those three cities together. Are the American rounds going to have double-points?

Also, I'm not sure which universe classes Miami as one of "the great cities in the world". I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement, but then again, I'm not an intellectual mastermind.

It just reminds me of Chris Brown (one of the most eminent literary figures of our town) mentioning, again, New York, Los Angeles and Miami in the chorus of a song called "International Love".
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:

It just reminds me of Chris Brown (one of the most eminent literary figures of our town) mentioning, again, New York, Los Angeles and Miami in the chorus of a song called "International Love".

I am now thinking of "New York, Paris, Peckham"...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Now, I don't count myself as a particular intellectual mastermind, but there appears to be something glaringly obvious linking those three cities together.

San Andreas, Liberty City, Vice City...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

dinizintheoven wrote:

Now, I don't count myself as a particular intellectual mastermind, but there appears to be something glaringly obvious linking those three cities together.

San Andreas, Liberty City, Vice City...

North Yankton...?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

dinizintheoven wrote:San Andreas, Liberty City, Vice City...

Brockway, Ogdenville, North Haverbrook...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

You know how people were generally optimistic about Liberty's takeover of F1? Prepare to have your hopes and dreams crushed as you read this interview

Two points of note:

I think there's an opportunity to grow that broadcast stream. Much of it comes from moving potentially from free-to-air to competitive pay services, that's for example what happened in the UK, when BSkyB recently bought the rights.

Because pay-TV has been such a rousing success for the sport. :roll:

"We're sitting on 21 venues, I think there's an opportunity to potentially grow that over time, particularly while we've maximised some of those venue opportunities with relatively high venue fees, I think there's an opportunity to grow in the number of venues and venues that are potentially more attractive to longer term broadcast revenues and sponsorship revenues.

"The obvious optionality case is to some degree Asia in the short term, potentially Latin America, and longer term North America, and particularly the US, where we really are well under-viewed, under-monetised, under-everything.
[/quote]

Kiss goodbye to most of the remaining European rounds, and say hello to more dictatorships and oil money, brother.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Can't say I didn't see this coming. Putting F1 in the hands of a corporation will only result in more initiatives that have the sole purpose of making a profit, regardless of what the fans think.
#FreeGonzo
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

I bathplugging told you to not get your hopes up. Seriously, bathplug Tekken taught us this lesson. But noooo, let's call Klon an idiot instead.
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:You know how people were generally optimistic about Liberty's takeover of F1? Prepare to have your hopes and dreams crushed as you read this interview

Two points of note:

I think there's an opportunity to grow that broadcast stream. Much of it comes from moving potentially from free-to-air to competitive pay services, that's for example what happened in the UK, when BSkyB recently bought the rights.

Because pay-TV has been such a rousing success for the sport. :roll:

"We're sitting on 21 venues, I think there's an opportunity to potentially grow that over time, particularly while we've maximised some of those venue opportunities with relatively high venue fees, I think there's an opportunity to grow in the number of venues and venues that are potentially more attractive to longer term broadcast revenues and sponsorship revenues.

"The obvious optionality case is to some degree Asia in the short term, potentially Latin America, and longer term North America, and particularly the US, where we really are well under-viewed, under-monetised, under-everything.

Kiss goodbye to most of the remaining European rounds, and say hello to more dictatorships and oil money, brother.

Rather than getting rid of the European rounds, it is being suggested that Liberty have been pushing for the calendar to become even longer - there has been talk that they want to expand to a 25 race calendar, with those new races being based in those US and Asian markets that they were talking about (since it is potentially more profitable for them to expand the calendar than displace existing circuits on the calendar).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

They're going to have to be careful with the gambling, especially with races happening during the day.

I'm not sure how they want to attract sponsorship deals when they remove the sport from free to air, when the amount of sponsors has plummeted since the move to Sky in many countries.

If they increase the amount of races to 25 per season teams will probably need two pit crews to avoid the mechanics from burning out due to exhaustion. How many teams I'm the field could afford that? Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull perhaps, but I don't see how sauber could do that.

More access to the radio feeds and alternative video feeds would be nice though.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Fetzie wrote:If they increase the amount of races to 25 per season teams will probably need two pit crews to avoid the mechanics from burning out due to exhaustion. How many teams I'm the field could afford that? Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull perhaps, but I don't see how sauber could do that.

I know Mercedes rotate a lot of their mechanics for this season, so it's already a thing with 21.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Waris

Post by Waris »

This does not bode well. I am fear
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Waris wrote: I am fear

If you could lead me to anger and he could lead us to hate we could really sort out some suffering.
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

CoopsII wrote:

If you could lead me to anger and he could lead us to hate we could really sort out some suffering.

You should be banned for making that reference :P
#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Simtek wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Dis is nutsen.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

I don't get the reference. I'm just thinking of this instead:
MCard LOLA