2016 Hungarian GP - ROTR

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
DemocalypseNow

2016 Hungarian GP - ROTR

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Good luck coming up with a deserving candidate. Choice is thin on the ground this week.

Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
rachel1990

Re: 2016 Hungarian GP - ROTR

Post by rachel1990 »

1- Palmer. Again wasted opportunity to get off the ground. Bathplug of a race again.

2- The FIA. These radio rules are a joke. Surely for safety reasons Buttons radio message should be allowed. Getting really fed up of Todt and his cronies ruining the sport. God I thought it was bad at the tail end of 2013
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

1. Jolyon Palmer - Threw away a good finish, maaaaybe points. Classic case.
2. Kevin Magnussen - He was driving today, wasn't he?
#FreeGonzo
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

1. Nico Rosberg - Way to choke away what used to be your championship lead, you total goit.

2. Jolyon Palmer - Nice job choking away your first points finish. :facepalm:

HM because I forgot about it: FIA's Bullshit Radio Rules - Yeah, penalize Button for being told how to fix his potentially lethal car with no brakes at 200MPH. F__king idiots.

I will just start giving my first vote to anybody that fails to prevent a race from becoming the Lewis Hamilton Show. Is this unwarranted? Probably, but I've had it with nobody stepping up and taking even the smallest fight to him.
Last edited by lance_rambert on 24 Jul 2016, 14:04, edited 4 times in total.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

1. The FIA - The radio rules are a joke, they couldn't make up their minds on track limits, and the farcical sight of the stewards trying to enforce the 107% rule on a wet qualifying session. Yeap, that's an slam dunk ROTR.

2. Felipe Massa - Dear lord just retire already.

Honourable mentions to Jolyon Palmer for throwing away his best shot at points yet, and Daniil Kvyat for once again being steamrollered by Sainz. With Gasly now winning races in GP2, the die looks cast for Kvyat's career...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

East Londoner wrote:1. The FIA - The radio rules are a joke, they couldn't make up their minds on track limits, and the farcical sight of the stewards trying to enforce the 107% rule on a wet qualifying session. Yeap, that's an slam dunk ROTR.

2. Felipe Massa - Dear lord just retire already.

Honourable mentions to Jolyon Palmer for throwing away his best shot at points yet, and Daniil Kvyat for once again being steamrollered by Sainz. With Gasly now winning races in GP2, the die looks cast for Kvyat's career...

What he said.
tBone

Post by tBone »

1. Felipe Massa - Binned it in qualifying and instead of a recovery drive, he actually managed to drop even further.

2. Jolyon Palmer - Close to the points until that silly and unnessecary spin. A lot of drivers (Ocon, Vandoorne, maybe even Maldonado) deserve his seat more...
YOUR
LOGO

Here
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

1. Jokyon Palmer - To spin like that, from a position as rare as that is so pathetic
2. Radio Rules - Image I mean I like the idea of banning advice to drivers on improving lap time but otherwise these rules have been kind of unfair.

HM to Felipe Massa
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

1. Palmer cause lol

2. The people who gave the penalty to Button..

HM: Brundle earlier pre-race saying that Alonso cheated. When you get shut down by Di Resta. Yeah....
mario

Post by mario »

1. G.Ennser, B.Lekhal and A.Jones (the stewards) - many here are in agreement that the regulations are atrociously written and increasingly idiotic, even by the FIA's rather low standards. However, regulations are only as bad as the people who enforce and interpret them, and frankly the way that all three of those stewards behaved this weekend was utterly hopeless - huge delays in calling investigations after qualifying, followed by strange interpretations of the regulations (thank goodness the teams talked some sense into them) which were then capped off by idiotic calls during the race.

2. Kvyat - was beaten by Sainz in qualifying, but it is the fact that he went backwards so quickly in the race that makes it even worse - whilst Sainz, even though he lost a few places, still managed to secure a points finish, I believe that Kvyat lost the most places out of any driver on the grid, not to mention his penalty for speeding in the pit lane (he can only blame himself for that one).
When you consider that his position at the team is uncertain, it really wasn't a good time to be putting in a bad performance when Gasly has taken the lead of the GP2 series this weekend - Kvyat's just heaped even more pressure on himself, and it does look as if he's not coping well with it.

I've seen some nominate Massa, but to be fair to him it sounds as if the front suspension was out of alignment after his crash in qualifying - Williams were working furiously on his suspension just before the race, but it sounds as if Massa was reporting that the car was still pulling to one side despite their efforts. As for Palmer, whilst it is true that his half spin wasted a decent opportunity for a point, at the same time Magnussen didn't exactly cover himself in glory given that he was beaten pretty handily by Palmer.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

1 - FIA - Radio rules, blue flags rules... too much rules ruining the sport.

2 - Palmer: For embarrassing himself and lose a shot at the points today.

Mentions for Massa (bad race + looks frustrated with the team), Kvyat (underperforming again) and Haas (bad strategy for both drivers cost the team a chance of scoring points)
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
girry

Post by girry »

giraurd wrote:I'm somehow starting to think my avatar's a bad omen.

Narain in 2012 --> out of F1 in 2013
Giedo in 2013 --> out of F1 in 2014
GutiGuti in 2014 --> out of F1 in 2015
JEV since he debuted in FE --> didn't win a single race despite multiple pole positions
Daniil since China --> one race and out of Red Bull

Strongly considering paying tribute to the Mercedes duo in my next avatar.

I can't bring myself to watch poor Daniil under my jinx anymore. Sorry mate.

Palmer is a good number 2, because the minute before the Renault was sideways on the asphalt, I was going like "hey, for once Jolyon is not having a bad race!"
when you're dead people start listening
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

1. Radio transmission rules
2. Jean Todt, because they were his idea.

If you want to get rid of team transmissions to the driver, make the cars simpler. As they are right now, the teams have to employ dozens of engineers to get the car even running, and you expect the drivers to know everything there is to know about their car, and that they can troubleshoot the car while driving through chicanes and not hitting anybody else at north of 150 mph in a potentially unstable and/or unsafe vehicle?!

In which fairy lala land do the rule-makers live? It sure isn't the one that the races take place in.
Samster

Post by Samster »

1. The Hungasnoring - After giving us some surprisingly entertaining races in recent years, 2016 was a return to the stereotypical Hungasnoring procession.

2. Daniil Kvyat - With Pierre Gasly having finally worked out how to win races and establishing his championship lead in GP2, Kvyat's F1 career is looking more and more doomed with a complete nothing race.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Samster wrote:1. The Hungasnoring - After giving us some surprisingly entertaining races in recent years, 2016 was a return to the stereotypical Hungasnoring procession.

I wouldn't call today's race a massive snorefest, but yes, it was definitely one of the least exciting races in Budapest for some time. I really enjoyed 2014 and 2015 (the second half at least, I couldn't stand the first half after the opening lap) and 2011 through to 2013 weren't bad either, this one was a step down from the rest but it still had it still had its moments.
Last edited by good_Ralf on 24 Jul 2016, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. Palmer: for re-entering the track post-spin on the racing line on a blind crest.
2. Radio rules - the latest emotive subject.

HM: The Hungaroring. Either spend some money and make it more interesting or run out of money and allow this carbuncle to disappear from the calendar.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

My submissions were:

1. Ferrari drivers - if they could have one rule on team radio messages it should be to stop these guys whining and swearing! Their results today were half-decent, especially Kimi making up spots on his grid position, but both of them expect people to jump out of the way from them! Seems like Kimi can't overtake and Vettel expects every lapped car to jump out of the way when he's within 10 seconds of them! They are beginning to sound very much like the old men of F1!

2. Jolyon Palmer - He won't get many opportunities to score this year so he really needed to not throw this away.

HMs:
Felipe Massa - dreadful showing, but was scuppered by car problems
Daniil Kyvat - now really isn't the time to be making basic mistakes and getting generally trounced by your teammate
Force India pitcrew - lost out badly in the pitstop race vs Renault, then weren't ready for Perez
Manor - feel like they were back to being the slowest team this weekend, particularly with Haryanto
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Felipe Massa gets my 1st vote, followed by team radio rules.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

1. Felipe Massa - sorry man, I loved you in the early years at Ferrari, and even your races at Williams, but damn that was a terrible weekend.
2. The FIA - how many times over the last two years have the FIA been in these nominations for various reasons?

HM - Vettel's swearing - it's actually getting genuinely tiresome to have to listen to him whinging about something week-in, week-out. The car admittedly isn't as good as the 2015 model, but spending every weekend complaining, shouting, swearing and putting mediocre performances in whilst Kimi Raikkonen - hardly the strongest of competitors these days - is ahead of him in the championship, doesn't exactly show Vettel in a good light. I mean I haven't liked Sebastian since 2009, but I don't understand how he can be winning fans and supporters nowadays when he spouts all this constant negativity out of his mouth.

HM2 - Hamilton's winning - coupled with a complete lack of letting other drivers into top teams, it's getting equally tiring watching Lewis Hamilton in either the fastest or 2nd-fastest car in a row for 10 seasons straight (2009 he had possibly the best car from Hungary onwards). C'mon Rosberg and other teams, give this guy a challenge and stop letting him walk into victory after victory after victory after victory. If even just to wipe the smug grin off his face.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I like to mention the Hamilton fans too, for harassing Gutierrez in twitter :facepalm:
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Dj_bereta wrote:I like to mention the Hamilton fans too, for harassing Gutierrez in twitter :facepalm:

You mean after Gutierrez said that Hamilton should have shown him more respect after ignoring blue flags for a couple of kilometres and running Hamilton 2 seconds backwards into Rosberg's DRS window?
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

This bullshit --

McLaren -- A hydraulic failure on lap 1 and you tell Jenson to stay out on the track? BRILLIANT!
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Fetzie wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:I like to mention the Hamilton fans too, for harassing Gutierrez in twitter :facepalm:

You mean after Gutierrez said that Hamilton should have shown him more respect after ignoring blue flags for a couple of kilometres and running Hamilton 2 seconds backwards into Rosberg's DRS window?

Yeah, after the tweet.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'll go for:

(10) Jenson Button's brakes - that's happened to me and it's about as funny as unanaesthetised bowel surgery.

(6) The FIA for the general twonkery that followed.

Dishonourable mention to the race itself... I'm actually glad I delayed it in favour of staying with the Test Match for the afternoon. And also to Jolyon Palmer for flinging away what might well have been the only shot he'd have at points this year - looks like he'll end up with the same overall record as Allan McNish.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:HM - Vettel's swearing - it's actually getting genuinely tiresome to have to listen to him whinging about something week-in, week-out. The car admittedly isn't as good as the 2015 model, but spending every weekend complaining, shouting, swearing and putting mediocre performances in whilst Kimi Raikkonen - hardly the strongest of competitors these days - is ahead of him in the championship, doesn't exactly show Vettel in a good light. I mean I haven't liked Sebastian since 2009, but I don't understand how he can be winning fans and supporters nowadays when he spouts all this constant negativity out of his mouth.

HM2 - Hamilton's winning - coupled with a complete lack of letting other drivers into top teams, it's getting equally tiring watching Lewis Hamilton in either the fastest or 2nd-fastest car in a row for 10 seasons straight (2009 he had possibly the best car from Hungary onwards). C'mon Rosberg and other teams, give this guy a challenge and stop letting him walk into victory after victory after victory after victory. If even just to wipe the smug grin off his face.

With regards to Vettel, I feel that it is in part a consequence of the fact that the team is coming under increasing pressure from Marchionne.

There are reports that he has now begun to interfere more heavily in the running of the team, with certain departmental managers having to send reports directly to him for approval and review, leading to increased micromanagement and threats of dismissal.

Furthermore, there are also reports that a bit of a rift has opened up between Allison and Marchionne - after the sad loss of his wife, Allison is now spending more time back in the UK to try and look after his children and the rest of his family. However, the uncertainty that is causing is, in turn, having a negative impact on the team that is now finding itself leaderless.

Whilst Marchionne might be sympathetic to Allison's personal life, at the same time there is talk that he is beginning to look around for a replacement for Allison to give the team the leadership it desperately needs right now - particularly given that there is talk that Renault, knowing that Allison is now rumoured to be looking to move back to the UK to support his family, seem to be courting him.

In many ways, the team has failed to make the advances that it wanted to - the set up window is much narrower than they'd expected it to be, their aero development doesn't seem to have kept pace with their rivals and persistent reliability issues have prevented them from maximising their engine performance and cost them quite a few decent finishes.

I think that the tensions within the team and the frustration over the lack of development from the car is beginning to frustrate the drivers, and especially when it comes to a more expressive driver like Vettel. When you're in an environment where people are likely to be anxious and slightly fearful for their jobs, I think it is inevitable that those anxieties will begin to manifest themselves in Vettel's attitude - those radio outbursts seem to be reflective of a frustration with his current situation that stems from the team not making the progress he believes should be happening, not to mention his wider frustrations at the direction the sport is taking and the mismanagement of the sport as a whole.

With regards to Hamilton, I'd say that there have been a few seasons where he hasn't had a car that consistently remained in the top 2. There was a marked improvement in the latter half of the 2009 season, but I wouldn't say that he had the best car for the whole of the second half of the season - the RB5 looked like it was, on average, a better package at most circuits, whilst there were times when the BGP001 and F60 were either similar or managed to perform more strongly than the MP4/24.

To a certain extent, the 2010 season is also open to debate - there were some races where the MP4/25 looked like the best or second best car, but over the season as a whole the RB6 (when reliability did not intervene) looked like the fastest car, whilst in the latter part of the season it looked like the F10 was slightly ahead as well.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1. The radio rules - WAY too far.

2. Daniil Kvyat

HM actually to the race winner - not for the Gutierrez thing but grassing up his teammate about the yellow flags (I don't think that was cricket - if Red Bull had protested Rosberg then fair enough), that actually had shades of 2007 about it (and Alonso causing the yellow flag is the ultimate irony).
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)