2016 Hungarian Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
This Could Be You

2016 Hungarian Grand Prix

Post by This Could Be You »

This Could Be You

Re: 2016 Hungarian Grand Prix

Sorry for the huge image, still haven't got the hang of posting them yet :facepalm:
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Doesn't appear to be much talk going into the beginning of this race! I haven't watched FP2 yet, but the McLarens seemed to be showing some kind of pace from the start. Though Silverstone was a disaster, it's still encouraging to see them doing not as terribly as last year.

It's also quite sad that already into the season the Mercedes and Ferrari seats are locked into position for next year. F1 needs an injection of intrigue, and it's not getting one. When on earth are we going to see our next maiden winner?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Well, Lewis found the fence in FP2
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:It's also quite sad that already into the season the Mercedes and Ferrari seats are locked into position for next year. F1 needs an injection of intrigue, and it's not getting one. When on earth are we going to see our next maiden winner?

At the current turnover of drivers in the top seats, I reckon the next maiden winner could be Max Verstappen's yet-to-be-conceived child.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

That might not be so far away. Remember how old Jan Magnussen was when Kevin was born...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:That might not be so far away. Remember how old Jan Magnussen was when Kevin was born...

And remember how old Max was when he made his debut (and it might be possible again in less than 2 decades' time).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

Rob Dylan wrote:Doesn't appear to be much talk going into the beginning of this race! I haven't watched FP2 yet, but the McLarens seemed to be showing some kind of pace from the start. Though Silverstone was a disaster, it's still encouraging to see them doing not as terribly as last year.

It's also quite sad that already into the season the Mercedes and Ferrari seats are locked into position for next year. F1 needs an injection of intrigue, and it's not getting one. When on earth are we going to see our next maiden winner?

You could also add Red Bull into the mix as well given that Ricciardo and Verstappen already had seats for 2017.

In fact, most of those teams have fixed their line up for 2018 as well - Hamilton and Vettel were already signed up to their respective teams until the end of 2018, whilst Horner has indicated that Red Bull are looking to keep their line up of Verstappen and Ricciardo until at least 2018 (the latter definitely is under contract until 2018, whilst Red Bull are pulling out all the stops to hold onto Max for as long as possible).

Now that Rosberg has signed a two year contract extension, the only driver in those three teams who doesn't already have an agreement in place for 2018 is Kimi - even then, with most of Ferrari's preferred alternatives unavailable, I wouldn't be surprised if Kimi's contract is renewed for another year.
It probably means that the driver market will be fairly flat in 2017 as well, since most drivers are contracted through until the end of 2018 - the 2019 market might see more movement given the number of drivers who would be coming free at the end of that season though.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

That feel when people are already talking about the 2019 driver market. In this situation I really hope an alternative team shoots up the order to give at least something to talk about.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Dear lord FIA :facepalm:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

PLEASE freeze the grid as it stands!
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Looks lovely out...!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Yeah, if it stays down for the day and they can't restart then surely we have a Force India front row lockout?

Right before they red flagged you couldn't see the pit exit from the camera at turn 1. That is too wet to race in. Not that pifling bit of dampness at the start of the British GP.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Enforcer wrote:Right before they red flagged you couldn't see the pit exit from the camera at turn 1. That is too wet to race in. Not that pifling bit of dampness at the start of the British GP.

I thought that too. A safety car to that is totally fine and understandable or even a delayed start to see if it improves.

Would they push for a Sunday morning if it doesnt improve or just do a full Q1? Or push until Q3 is complete if the rain proper stops? Or now they have a lap out will they just bin quali? And I guess the 107% rule would be waived for Rio? I could understand if it was in this case

The coinditions are also a good showcase for a HD telly!
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Can we really just get the monsoon tires? This is goddamn silly.

Actually, can FIA start fiddling the rulebook so that the cars wouldn't be so goddamn sensitive to non-optimal circumstances?
Overtaking is hard because the cars can't stay close.
Rain racing is hard because the cars aquaplane so easily.
Radio rulings are restricted because the cars are too technical for the driver to handle it on his own when a problem arises.
Going maximum attack for extended periods of time is hard because the brakes/tires/gearboxes/engines can't stand the stress.

... Can we just restrict the designs to a point where the cars look more like late 80's/early 90's cars without all the technical thingamajigs and aerodynamic silliness. To a point where driver skill matters more than design skill and money.

Can be go back to RACING!
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Including the 20 minute rain delay at the start of the hour, this Q1 lasted for 73 minutes. I feel physically older.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Inb4 Hamilton fan tears.

Good qualy for McLaren.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I enjoyed seeing Rosberg just pip Hamilton to the pole. 'ave it!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

"Great job man, thanks"

"No problem. Don't forget your part of the deal; I get a Mercedes engine for tomorrow"

"Er, yeah, leave it with me"
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Rosberg being investigated over his pole lap.

Also I thought it was funny that Alonso should disrupt Hamilton's lap and prevent him from getting pole position at the Hungaroring, while Alonso was driving a McLaren.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Rob Dylan wrote:Rosberg being investigated over his pole lap.

And he's safe.
#FreeGonzo
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Both Red Bulls, Force Indias, and Bottas could be thrown out of qualifying due to the 107% rule.

I thought the 107% rule was suspended when there's a wet qualifying? The idiocy of this sport and the people who run it never ceases to amaze me. The rulebook needs to be rewritten from scratch. :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

East Londoner wrote:Both Red Bulls, Force Indias, and Bottas could be thrown out of qualifying due to the 107% rule.

I thought the 107% rule was suspended when there's a wet qualifying? The idiocy of this sport and the people who run it never ceases to amaze me. The rulebook needs to be rewritten from scratch. :facepalm:

The rule is a bad rule designed to discourage new teams. But the fact is, there is no way the regulation can be interpreted not to DNQ the failing drivers. Rules are the same for all teams.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Seems fairly clear-cut then. Once again, badly-worded rules could be about to rob us of an interesting race.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

East Londoner wrote:

Seems fairly clear-cut then. Once again, badly-worded rules could be about to rob us of an interesting race.

This will almost certainly be the end of the 107% rule; clearing the way for the triumphant comeback of HRT!

Shut up Eccles!
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

The rules will not be applied. BOO!

Shut up Eccles!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

The fact that they were even thinking of applying the rules in a session with 4 (or was it 5? I genuinely did lose count) red flags and changeable conditions tells you all you need to know about current F1.

I know we love the underdog here, but to create that kind of situation would be beyond dumb!
mario

Post by mario »

Simtek wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Rosberg being investigated over his pole lap.

And he's safe.

What I find a little questionable is that the wording of the investigation seems to specify that he was only being investigated for his behaviour in Turn 8 - the onboard footage from Rosberg's car shows that yellow flags were being displayed in Turn 9 as well.

There does seem to be some evidence from somebody on the Autosport forums who pulled data from a GPS tracking app that suggests Rosberg did reduce his cornering speed between 5-14kph through Turn 8. I have to say that I am a little uncomfortable about the whole situation though - the fact that it was a fairly small lift, and the fact that no further action was taken, makes it feel as if the FIA is implicitly condoning such behaviour.

The FIA has previously expressed concern that drivers do not obey yellow flags, and I feel that this sort of incident is going to effectively encourage drivers to push the boundaries far further than they should, which I fear will have a negative impact on the safety of marshals who might have to attend to a stranded car.

GwilymJJames wrote:The rules will not be applied. BOO!

Being cynical, I imagine that there would also be pressure to avoid demoting Red Bull down the order given that they seem to be the only team that could potentially challenge Mercedes's dominance this weekend.

What makes it especially strange is that, normally, the race director effectively waives the 107% rule in wet conditions given that the rapidly varying conditions make it so difficult to judge the true pace of a car. This is the first time that I have heard the stewards consider enforcing the rule in wet conditions by taking such a narrow view of the rules, and frankly it would be a pretty stupid thing to do - frankly, I really wish that moves were finally set in place to professionalise the process of becoming a steward.

That said, this must be the first time that we have had cars technically fail to meet the 107% rule that were still able to then compete in the remainder of the qualifying session.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I think the FIA has attracted enough hate over the last two races alone to know not to anger the fans even more by removing whatever mildly feasible opposition to Mercedes there is on the track this weekend.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

The stewards are trained - by Mercedes.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

mario wrote:data from a GPS tracking app that suggests Rosberg did reduce his cornering speed between 5-14kph through Turn 8. I have to say that I am a little uncomfortable about the whole situation though - the fact that it was a fairly small lift, and the fact that no further action was taken, makes it feel as if the FIA is implicitly condoning such behaviour.

Aren't double-yellows "prepare to have to avoid cars and people on track, and if necessary halt"? How is that compatible with a speed reduction of a mere 10 kph?

Tyres available for the race for each driver:

tBone

Post by tBone »

Rob Dylan wrote:When on earth are we going to see our next maiden winner?

When Renault becomes more competitive? Or Stoffel, with McLaren?
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Well we went from 2009 to 2012 from Mark Webber to Nico Rosberg. So yeah.

So far watching the build up to this race. Paul di Resta isn't falling for the Brundle Alonso cheating thingy. It's like he is not with the plan. Also I think Alonso and Bouiller want to punch Herbert and Kravitz.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

First retirement. Unlucky Button.

Oh wait. He's still going.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Aguaman wrote:First retirement. Unlucky Button.

Oh wait. He's still going.

And he's investigated for unauthorized radio communications. Radio ban for ROTY please. :facepalm:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Button gets a DTP because of these utterly retarded radio rules. Good going FIA, well played. :facepalm:
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

F___ these radio rules. Seriously.

I think I actually want Button to go all pre-Stewart Haas Kurt Busch and chew out both McLaren for the crapbox and the FIA for the BS penalty. He probably won't even get penalized for dropping Kurt's trademark double atomic F-bomb. :facepalm:
Last edited by lance_rambert on 24 Jul 2016, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
This Could Be You

This is already looking ominously like a dull Mercedes GP 1-2 . Sky must be happy. :(
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
tBone

Post by tBone »

I would like to see the radio rules extended. Let's also ban Vettel's pathetic whinging :facepalm:
YOUR
LOGO

Here
lance_rambert

Post by lance_rambert »

Oh my goodness. For once, I'm happy about Gutierrez being a mobile chicane... maybe I shouldn't because it's pretty naughty, but he did get the Mercs closer together. :deletraz: