Imola signs Italian Grand Prix agreement

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

Imola signs Italian Grand Prix agreement

Post by Ataxia »

With the conjecture floating around Monza at the moment, Bernie and FOM has decided to force the Automobile Club d'Italia's hand and has signed a provisional deal with the Imola circuit management to have the Italian Grand Prix there from 2017. Motorsport.com has more.

I really like Imola, so I'd be very pleased to see it back if this goes ahead. I appreciate Monza has a lot of history and what-not, but it's never been a circuit that's interested me and the races there are usually pretty processional in my view.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AlliotsUsualAccident

Re: Imola signs Italian Grand Prix agreement

Post by AlliotsUsualAccident »

Ataxia wrote:With the conjecture floating around Monza at the moment, Bernie and FOM has decided to force the Automobile Club d'Italia's hand and has signed a provisional deal with the Imola circuit management to have the Italian Grand Prix there from 2017. [url=http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/imola-signs-agreement-with-ecclestone-for-italian-gp-798879/Motorsport.com has more.[/url]

I really like Imola, so I'd be very pleased to see it back if this goes ahead. I appreciate Monza has a lot of history and what-not, but it's never been a circuit that's interested me and the races there are usually pretty processional in my view.

Curious what the "project of Herman Tilke" is that one official mentions at the bottom of the story.

I was never a big fan of the chicanes added at Tamburello and Villenueve - just lacking creativity and thought for a circuit that could have done something cool - but I understand the safety aspect. I take it the 2009-present layout on this link is what's listed here? If so, not having the Variente Bassa chicane could improve the track for F1 a bit. http://www.racingcircuits.info/europe/i ... 4za2JMrLnU
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

If Monza is out, I'm okay with that. Monza hasn't had a good race in years.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I'm also OK with this. It's nice to have a bit of a change up in the calendar. Besides, Monza hasn't produced a good race so far this decade, and isn't suited to this formula.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Believe it or not I'm also OK with Monza being swapped with Imola. It's when the idea of Monza being swapped for a race-track in North Korea or wherever starts surfacing that I get all emotional.

In my ideal world, of course, the two tracks would each host a race bi-annually.
Just For One Day...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I miss Imola - yes, there's the one year we'd all like to forget, but think how many other great races (and surprising results) that we had over the years. Yeah, I'm OK with this switch as well, providing the circuit isn't ruined.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I would prefer Monza to stay on the calendar, but I am happy to have Imola back too.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Aguaman wrote:If Monza is out, I'm okay with that. Monza hasn't had a good race in years.

I agree, but I wanted to see a layout change in Monza, like the proposed one with a longer main straight and a quick turn 1.

Imola could be a good addition. I liked the removal of Variante Bassa and now it's flatout between Rivazza and Tamburello. I wanted to see Variant Alta getting removed too, but anyway.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Waris

Post by Waris »

I would be fine with a return to Imola, but not at the expense of Monza.

Imola is a very good circuit, but Monza... is Monza!
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Waris wrote:I would be fine with a return to Imola, but not at the expense of Monza.

I agree. Monza and Spa for me are the two best circuits and I can't imagine f1 without them!
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Waris wrote:I would be fine with a return to Imola, but not at the expense of Monza.

Amen. I am a huge fan of Imola as a circuit, but Monza is the cathedral of speed. And I believe it has hosted the most World Championship races of any circuit (every year but 1 since 1950 IIRC). Hell if you include pre-war stuff it might be number 1 period.

If this is another one or two year anomaly, ok, but Monza, man! Come on!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I wouldn't mind seeing a race-sharing agreement akin to what I believe was mooted circa 1980 before they went through with the San Marino Grand Prix. Yeah, Monza hasn't had a 'good' race since about 2011, but overtaking doesn't make up the whole spectacle to me. Seeing the cars round the once fearsome Curva Grande, the Lesmos, down under the bridge where Sarti crashed in Frankenheimer's Grand Prix, on towards the Parabolica, the trees, the crowds, I love all of that.

Yes, I'm a romantic. Deal with it :P
#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Simtek wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a race-sharing agreement akin to what I believe was mooted circa 1980 before they went through with the San Marino Grand Prix. Yeah, Monza hasn't had a 'good' race since about 2011, but overtaking doesn't make up the whole spectacle to me. Seeing the cars round the once fearsome Curva Grande, the Lesmos, down under the bridge where Sarti crashed in Frankenheimer's Grand Prix, on towards the Parabolica, the trees, the crowds, I love all of that.

Yes, I'm a romantic. Deal with it :P

I'm with you on that one which is why Imola, if it happens (unlikely), is a better option than some of the crazy places Bernie wants to send us. I swear, if they could get access to him, some pranksters could easily sell him the idea of a race in some fictional country like the Peoples Republic of Arrakis providing they could cook up some evidence that Arrakis was rich. Hell, they could probably go one stage further and do a deal on the distribution of Melange. If you don't get the reference that's fine but you should probably read more.
Just For One Day...
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Sometimes tradition is important for its own sake. Part of why F1 is considered the pinnacle of motorsport is the continuous connection between people like Fangio, Clark, Stewart, Senna, Schumacher, and right down to today's stars. Included in this tradition is the places those greats raced.

Of course the flip side of that coin is that F1 is also considered the pinnacle because of it's focus on the latest and greatest. From new technology to new talent to a better "show".

So I guess what I'm saying is that F1 can't totally sacrifice the former in favor of the latter or else it ceases to be the pinnacle. As far as my thoughts on Imola vs Monza for the Italian GP, my solution would be to bring back the San Marino GP at Imola and keep Monza.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

There's a theory going round that we may end up seeing both on the calendar next year anyway. But apparently if that does happen, the race at Imola will be the San Remo GP!

If I had to pick one, I'd take Imola. I love that track, and with the recent changes it's made it even better. I liked it even post-1994 with all the chicanes. The configuration, with corners like Piratella and Aqua Minerale - you can't beat that. The only decent bit for me about Monza is its location in amongst the trees, and I guess the Parabolica. It's a part of F1 yes, but for me, having grown up with Imola being just as much a fixture on the calendar as any other race, the San Marino GP represents F1 more.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

AlliotsUsualAccident wrote:
Ataxia wrote:With the conjecture floating around Monza at the moment, Bernie and FOM has decided to force the Automobile Club d'Italia's hand and has signed a provisional deal with the Imola circuit management to have the Italian Grand Prix there from 2017. [url=http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/imola-signs-agreement-with-ecclestone-for-italian-gp-798879/Motorsport.com has more.[/url]

Curious what the "project of Herman Tilke" is that one official mentions at the bottom of the story.

I was never a big fan of the chicanes added at Tamburello and Villenueve - just lacking creativity and thought for a circuit that could have done something cool - but I understand the safety aspect. I take it the 2009-present layout on this link is what's listed here? If so, not having the Variente Bassa chicane could improve the track for F1 a bit. http://www.racingcircuits.info/europe/i ... 4za2JMrLnU

I believe that the reference to Tilke's project would be the reconstruction of the pit lane and paddock facilities, along with some of the areas for the fans, which Tilke has been directing (the changes to the track didn't involve him, I believe).

I have heard that the facilities for the fans (e.g. food, toilets and the like) at Monza are a little dilapidated now and could do with an upgrade - to be honest, I'd rather see the circuit owners invest in those facilities instead of changing the layout of the track.

To a certain extent, I wouldn't mind seeing Monza being switched for Imola instead - like Ataxia, I've not really found the circuit layout that interesting. It does feel like the sport has progressed beyond the circuit - it was more of a challenge in the past when reliability was more of a knife edge thing, hence it's historical reputation for being a real test of a car.
Now that the cars are extremely reliable, most of the technical challenges of Monza have gone and the races are now fairly monotonous processional affairs (it's a similar reason to why I think that, whilst people clamour for the old layout of Hockenheim, I believe it would also produce fairly dull processional races these days).

I'm not entirely sold on the plans to change the layout of Monza either, assuming that the latest reports are correct and the new layout will be used for all races, not just for motorbikes. It might have some novelty for the first year or two, but I can't see it presenting much of a challenge to the drivers given the expected increase in downforce for 2017 (even in Mona spec trim, since they are enhancing the underbody of the car).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Although I prefer Imola over Monza as a circuit for racing, and simply driving around, It'll feel quite weird to have a season without a race at Monza. As Simtek, and I think other people have also said, bringing back the San Marino GP for Imola and keeping Monza would be a better move in my opinion, although the season is already quite packed already, so I'm not sure whether that could work or not.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
The Chicane

Post by The Chicane »

I'm actually fine with Imola replacing Monza considering we haven't been there in years, plus I've never really been fond of Monza's layout.
RENAULT CLASSIC (1977 - 2017)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 : Drivers' titles
12 : Constructors' titles
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

There's a fresh twist to all of this as Imola have now begun legal action against Monza to try and get the GP. This should be fun!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Considering the Italian justice system, this may well probably go on for a fair while yet
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

i've always preferred Imola over Monza. Sure, the Tamburello and Villeneuve were a bad way to address the issue, but they were still neccessary and didn't detract TOO much from the circuit. Monza on the other hand... The chicanes added to it just ruin it. Seriously, adding Mickey Mouse chicanes to a circuit that is MEANT to be a full throttle blast from start to finish just breaks the flow of the circuit. If you can get your hands on the pre-72 layout Monza in some racing game (like F1C or Rfactor) you'll know what I mean. Monza is just... dull. The layout was supposed to be fast to make up for the lack of "exciting" moments, and the chicanes nullify that. If F1 can't be allowed to race on a chicane-less Monza, they better not race there at all.

Tradition be damned.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

DonTirri wrote:i've always preferred Imola over Monza. Sure, the Tamburello and Villeneuve were a bad way to address the issue, but they were still neccessary and didn't detract TOO much from the circuit. Monza on the other hand... The chicanes added to it just ruin it. Seriously, adding Mickey Mouse chicanes to a circuit that is MEANT to be a full throttle blast from start to finish just breaks the flow of the circuit. If you can get your hands on the pre-72 layout Monza in some racing game (like F1C or Rfactor) you'll know what I mean. Monza is just... dull. The layout was supposed to be fast to make up for the lack of "exciting" moments, and the chicanes nullify that. If F1 can't be allowed to race on a chicane-less Monza, they better not race there at all.

Tradition be damned.

You been waiting 44 years to write that?

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

AndreaModa wrote:
DonTirri wrote:i've always preferred Imola over Monza. Sure, the Tamburello and Villeneuve were a bad way to address the issue, but they were still neccessary and didn't detract TOO much from the circuit. Monza on the other hand... The chicanes added to it just ruin it. Seriously, adding Mickey Mouse chicanes to a circuit that is MEANT to be a full throttle blast from start to finish just breaks the flow of the circuit. If you can get your hands on the pre-72 layout Monza in some racing game (like F1C or Rfactor) you'll know what I mean. Monza is just... dull. The layout was supposed to be fast to make up for the lack of "exciting" moments, and the chicanes nullify that. If F1 can't be allowed to race on a chicane-less Monza, they better not race there at all.

Tradition be damned.

You been waiting 44 years to write that?
:D
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

:facepalm: Mugello!!!

DAMMIT!!!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I'd be fine with Monza staying despite not producing a good race since 2011. Not the most exciting circuit, but for traditional reasons and the fact that its ultra high speed nature makes it unique amongst the calendar.

As good as Spa is, I wouldn't want 21 races a year there, you need different types of circuits to make the calendar interesting.

Variety is the spice of life.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I like Monza and Imola about the same. A good mix of chicanes, a few interesting not quite 90-degree corners, and one fun weird one (Acque Minerale/Parabolica) is what makes up both of them.

It would be weird to not have Monza, since it feels like a part of F1 in a way circuits that aren't a generation old don't, but all it takes for a circuit to gain that feeling is time, Sepang being a good example of that "historic" feel developing before our eyes. Besides, I'm really not that concerned with history, or as I think of it, sentimentality.

I don't really think of Monza as a high-speed thrills track either, since I judge that by the corners. Suzuka feels high-speed, a track that's half chicanes doesn't.

So yes, if all this actually goes through, it'll be weird to not have Monza. But it's being replaced with another historic track we all like in the same country, so it's a small loss at worst.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
EuroBrun

Post by EuroBrun »

Thing is the Italian government decided to allocate 12.5m € to the Italian Automobile Club (ACI) to organize the Italian Grand Prix. ACI decided Monza should be retained as the venue, and made an offer to Mr. E (68m $ for a 3 years contract) thanks also to the 20m € allocated by the regional government of Lombardy.

The company that operates Imola racetrack opposes to the decision of ACI and begun a legal action, probably backed by the center-left party which run the Emilia region, as oppose to the right party which govern Lombardy.

It is unlikely Imola will host a S. Marino GP since the Government of the tiny republic will not allocate enough money to make Bernie happy.

By the way, there is something with Tilke's Imola layout I do not fully understand. They had added chicane in two very fast corners with no runoff areas to make the track safer. Tilke removed a chicane and now we have a new very fast corner with no runoff area in place of the Variante Bassa.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

EuroBrun wrote:

By the way, there is something with Tilke's Imola layout I do not fully understand. They had added chicane in two very fast corners with no runoff areas to make the track safer. Tilke removed a chicane and now we have a new very fast corner with no runoff area in place of the Variante Bassa.

Well the cars are infinitely safer now than in 1995 when they put that chicane in. Plus next year will see loads more mechanical grip from the tyres, so I can sort of see they're logic.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
TheFlyingCaterham

EuroBrun wrote:By the way, there is something with Tilke's Imola layout I do not fully understand. They had added chicane in two very fast corners with no runoff areas to make the track safer. Tilke removed a chicane and now we have a new very fast corner with no runoff area in place of the Variante Bassa.

I would argue that the two corners around the current Variente Bassa are less easier to screw up and have a really fast crash compared to Tamburello and Villeneuve, at least looking at the track map.

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

I think Monza would be more suited for the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series than this generation's F1 car. I'm excited to see F1 return to Imola.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Waris

Post by Waris »

golic_2004 wrote:I think Monza would be more suited for the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series [...]

I support this, but only if they remove the chicanes and add back the old oval! :D
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Waris wrote:
golic_2004 wrote:I think Monza would be more suited for the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series [...]

I support this, but only if they remove the chicanes and add back the old oval! :D

I know the first chicane can be "removed" if you play the NASCAR expansion on Forza 6. (Sorry if this is starting to go off topic)
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
TheFlyingCaterham

golic_2004 wrote:
Waris wrote:

I know the first chicane can be "removed" if you play the NASCAR expansion on Forza 6. (Sorry if this is starting to go off topic)

The first chicane ca be removed by default on GT6, and I think GT5 as well, without any need for expansion packs or DLC.