The Reject Research Material Thread

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: The Reject Research Material Thread

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

ATTENTION ANY ITALIAN SPEAKERS:

Our very own WaffleCat is writing a profile on the Tecno team that competed in F1 in 1972-73, which should hopefully make for fantastic reading. Through his research, he's found a very detailed Autosprint article from late-1971 about their then-upcoming F1 entry. The problem is it's in Italian, and we could really use someone with a good knowledge of the language to translate it: https://v8blog1971.files.wordpress.com/ ... 42s-8p.pdf

Naturally, we would be appreciative of any assistance. :)
#FreeGonzo
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Where's Sunshine_Baby when we need her, eh?

My Italian, for the record, extends no further than ordering a table for two outside on the terrace. I won't understand any response.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Where's Sunshine_Baby when we need her, eh?

My Italian, for the record, extends no further than ordering a table for two outside on the terrace. I won't understand any response.

The only drink I could order in Italian would be l'acquae minarale, thanks to Imola.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Simtek wrote:ATTENTION ANY ITALIAN SPEAKERS:

Our very own WaffleCat is writing a profile on the Tecno team that competed in F1 in 1972-73, which should hopefully make for fantastic reading. Through his research, he's found a very detailed Autosprint article from late-1971 about their then-upcoming F1 entry. The problem is it's in Italian, and we could really use someone with a good knowledge of the language to translate it: https://v8blog1971.files.wordpress.com/ ... 42s-8p.pdf

Sorry for the blatant necroposting.
As the forum's resident Italian, do y'all still need any help with that?
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Bobby Doorknobs

novitopoli wrote:
Simtek wrote:ATTENTION ANY ITALIAN SPEAKERS:

Sorry for the blatant necroposting.
As the forum's resident Italian, do y'all still need any help with that?

Well, better late than never. :deletraz:

Yeah, if you can find the time to do that, Novi, that would be awesome. :D
#FreeGonzo
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

I wonder if it would be possible to do a "Certain-number of the Best Rejects in the BTCC" List? After all, the BTCC is celebrating its 60th Anniversary this year and I can think of a few notable F1 Rejects who were successful in that series. Frank Gardner, Joachim Winkelhock, Gabriele Tarquini all became BTC Champions and the following all won BTCC races (Chris Craft, John Rhodes, Ivor Bueb, Tommy Bridger if F2-only entrants count, David Hobbs, Derek Bell and Harald Ertl shared a win, Gianfranco Brancatelli, Tiff Needell scored a shared win in 1989 and Julian Bailey).
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to do a "Certain-number of the Best Rejects in the BTCC" List? After all, the BTCC is celebrating its 60th Anniversary this year and I can think of a few notable F1 Rejects who were successful in that series. Frank Gardner, Joachim Winkelhock, Gabriele Tarquini all became BTC Champions and the following all won BTCC races (Chris Craft, John Rhodes, Ivor Bueb, Tommy Bridger if F2-only entrants count, David Hobbs, Derek Bell and Harald Ertl shared a win, Gianfranco Brancatelli, Tiff Needell scored a shared win in 1989 and Julian Bailey).

Would like to see an honorary mention in that list for Roland Ratzenberger. And how Mansell had F1 success but not so well in getting results in BTCC...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:Would like to see an honorary mention in that list for Roland Ratzenberger. And how Mansell had F1 success but not so well in getting results in BTCC...

...alongside a couple of one-off "before they were famous" drives by Damon Hill in 1989 and David Coulthard in 1990. Also, Colin McRae gave it a shot for a couple of races in 1992.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

dr-baker wrote:
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to do a "Certain-number of the Best Rejects in the BTCC" List? After all, the BTCC is celebrating its 60th Anniversary this year and I can think of a few notable F1 Rejects who were successful in that series. Frank Gardner, Joachim Winkelhock, Gabriele Tarquini all became BTC Champions and the following all won BTCC races (Chris Craft, John Rhodes, Ivor Bueb, Tommy Bridger if F2-only entrants count, David Hobbs, Derek Bell and Harald Ertl shared a win, Gianfranco Brancatelli, Tiff Needell scored a shared win in 1989 and Julian Bailey).

Would like to see an honorary mention in that list for Roland Ratzenberger. And how Mansell had F1 success but not so well in getting results in BTCC...

That'll be week-long bans for both of you then, ruining my surprise article for next Saturday. :pantano:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Bobby Doorknobs

If this is happening, ten drivers wouldn't be anywhere near enough to do anybody any justice, especially for the BSCC era. I'd suggest a top 32 (believe me, it's doable).

(Also, this is in the wrong thread, but if I try to move the posts into the appropriate one, things might break...)
#FreeGonzo
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Simtek wrote:If this is happening, ten drivers wouldn't be anywhere near enough to do anybody any justice, especially for the BSCC era. I'd suggest a top 32 (believe me, it's doable).

...nope, we're having ten and that's final. Don't make me have to threaten you with a ban as well, Simtek. :pantano:

(I've already written the article, y'see...)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

East Londoner wrote:
Simtek wrote:If this is happening, ten drivers wouldn't be anywhere near enough to do anybody any justice, especially for the BSCC era. I'd suggest a top 32 (believe me, it's doable).

...nope, we're having ten and that's final. Don't make me have to threaten you with a ban as well, Simtek. :pantano:

(I've already written the article, y'see...)

I was not to know that.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

If you like podcasts, here's one with Ricardo Rosset - talking about the F3000, Arrows, Lola and Tyrrell days...

https://www.spreaker.com/user/10600217/ ... sode_title
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

So, uhh, if you ever need high-quality screencaps of any races from 1981 onwards, give me a holler. I've got F1 TV Access so I can watch all of the races since then in high-quality.

Bear in mind that even most of the official archive content is just one-hour highlights, but still you might catch a lucky break if there's, for example, a crash you want to see as properly as possible.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Pardon the resurrection.

Just been compiling the 2007 Driver's and Constructor's points as they would have been if the McLaren drivers' points had been redistributed.

The results are as follows:

Drivers
1. Kimi Raikkonen 130
2. Felipe Massa 113
3. Nick Heidfeld 86
4. Robert Kubica 61
5. Heikki Kovalainen 54
6. Giancarlo Fisichella 41
7. Nico Rosberg 38
8. Mark Webber 23
9. David Coulthard 22
10. Alexander Wurz 21
11. Jarno Trulli 19
12. Ralf Schumacher 13
13. Jenson Button 12
14. Sebastian Vettel 9
15. Takuma Sato 7
16. Vitantonio Liuzzi 5
17. Rubens Barrichello 4
18. Adrian Sutil 2
19. Scott Speed 2
20. Kazuki Nakajima 1

Constructors
1. Ferrari 243
2. BMW Sauber 150
3. Renault 95
4. Williams Toyota 60
5. Red Bull Renault 45
6. Toyota 32
7. Honda 16
8. Toro Rosso Ferrari 13
9. Super Aguri Honda 7
10. Spyker Ferrari 2

Raikkonen wins the title with a race to spare.

Ferrari match their 2002 feat of winning 15 out of 17 races (9 for Kimi, 6 for Massa) but with only 7 1-2s, it's not quite as successful as 2002 and 2004.

BMW Sauber score their first win in Canada a year in advance but with Heidfeld instead of Kubica.

Kovalainen scores a point on debut and a first win at Fuji.

Kubica, Fisichella and Coulthard go from a combined total of no podiums to 10 (Kubica 6, Fizzi and DC 2 apiece)

Nico Rosberg rounds out the season with his first podium a race in advance.

Mark Webber and Red Bull break into the top 2 for the first time at the Nurburgring.

Alex Wurz breaks into the top 2 for the first time in Canada and follows that up with 3rd at the Nurburgring.

Toyota at least manage to break into the top 5 on four occasions (3-1 to Trulli).

Honda at least manage to finish ahead of STR and Rubinho never endures a pointless season in his entire career.

Vettel makes up for Fuji by scoring his and STR's first podium in China.

Liuzzi gets a point at Fuji, despite his post-race time penalty and goes on to unrejectify himself at the inaugural Korean GP in 2010.

Scott Speed manages to open his points account before being replaced by Vettel.

Kazuki Nakajima secures a point on debut despite that incident with his pit crew.
Last edited by Har1MAS1415 on 30 Sep 2022, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

I wish there was a way to rescue the old site articles that didn't make it onto Wayback Machine.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 17:41 Pardon the resurrection.

Just been compiling the 2007 Driver's and Constructor's points as they would have been if the McLaren drivers' points redistributed.

Drivers
1. Kimi Raikkonen 130
2. Felipe Massa 113
3. Nick Heidfeld 86
4. Robert Kubica 61
5. Heikki Kovalainen 54
7. Nico Rosberg 38
8. Mark Webber 23
9. David Coulthard 22
10. Alexander Wurz 21
11. Jarno Trulli 19
12. Ralf Schumacher 13
13. Jenson Button 12
14. Sebastian Vettel 9
15. Takuma Sato 7
16. Vitantonio Liuzzi 5
17. Rubens Barrichello 4
18. Adrian Sutil 2
19. Scott Speed 2
20. Kazuki Nakajima 1

Constructors
1. Ferrari 243
2. BMW Sauber 150
3. Renault 95
4. Williams Toyota 60
5. Red Bull Renault 45
6. Toyota 32
7. Honda 16
8. Toro Rosso Ferrari 13
9. Super Aguri Honda 7
10. Spyker Ferrari 2

Ferrari match their 2002 feat of winning 15 out of 17 races (9 for Kimi, 6 for Massa) but with only 7 1-2s, it's not quite as successful as 2002 and 2004.

BMW Sauber score their first win in Canada a year in advance but with Heidfeld instead of Kubica.

Kubica, Fisichella and Coulthard go from a combined total of no podiums to 10 (Kubica 6, Fizzi and DC 2 apiece)

Mark Webber and Red Bull break into the top 2 for the first time at the Nurburgring.

Alex Wurz breaks into the top 2 for the first time in Canada and follows that up with 3rd at the Nurburgring.

Toyota at least manage to break into the top 5 on four occasions (3-1 to Trulli).

Honda at least manage to finish ahead of STR and Rubinho never endures a pointless season in his entire career.

Liuzzi gets a point at Fuji, despite his post-race time penalty and goes on to unrejectify himself at the inaugural Korean GP in 2010.

Kazuki Nakajima secures a point on debut despite that incident with his pit crew.
Another excellent trip down memory lane here. I’m caught in two minds looking at those tables and stats. On the one hand Ferrari win 15/17 races (Heidfeld for BMW in Canada and Kovalainen for Renault in Japan the 2 exceptions) but at least Kimi and Massa would have given us a far more entertaining title tussle than Michael and Rubens ever would.

Do you think you could try and get the standings to look like the Wikipedia table has it with all the results? I’m having trouble remembering what each podium would be.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 21:32

Just been compiling the 2007 Driver's and Constructor's points as they would have been if the McLaren drivers' points redistributed.

Drivers
1. Kimi Raikkonen 130
2. Felipe Massa 113
3. Nick Heidfeld 86
4. Robert Kubica 61
5. Heikki Kovalainen 54
7. Nico Rosberg 38
8. Mark Webber 23
9. David Coulthard 22
10. Alexander Wurz 21
11. Jarno Trulli 19
12. Ralf Schumacher 13
13. Jenson Button 12
14. Sebastian Vettel 9
15. Takuma Sato 7
16. Vitantonio Liuzzi 5
17. Rubens Barrichello 4
18. Adrian Sutil 2
19. Scott Speed 2
20. Kazuki Nakajima 1

Constructors
1. Ferrari 243
2. BMW Sauber 150
3. Renault 95
4. Williams Toyota 60
5. Red Bull Renault 45
6. Toyota 32
7. Honda 16
8. Toro Rosso Ferrari 13
9. Super Aguri Honda 7
10. Spyker Ferrari 2

Another excellent trip down memory lane here. I’m caught in two minds looking at those tables and stats. On the one hand Ferrari win 15/17 races (Heidfeld for BMW in Canada and Kovalainen for Renault in Japan the 2 exceptions) but at least Kimi and Massa would have given us a far more entertaining title tussle than Michael and Rubens ever would.

Do you think you could try and get the standings to look like the Wikipedia table has it with all the results? I’m having trouble remembering what each podium would be.
Will do my best
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Just been compiling the 2007 Driver's and Constructor's points as they would have been if the McLaren drivers' points had been redistributed.

Drivers
1. Kimi Raikkonen 130
2. Felipe Massa 113
3. Nick Heidfeld 86
4. Robert Kubica 61
5. Heikki Kovalainen 54
7. Nico Rosberg 38
8. Mark Webber 23
9. David Coulthard 22
10. Alexander Wurz 21
11. Jarno Trulli 19
12. Ralf Schumacher 13
13. Jenson Button 12
14. Sebastian Vettel 9
15. Takuma Sato 7
16. Vitantonio Liuzzi 5
17. Rubens Barrichello 4
18. Adrian Sutil 2
19. Scott Speed 2
20. Kazuki Nakajima 1

Constructors
1. Ferrari 243
2. BMW Sauber 150
3. Renault 95
4. Williams Toyota 60
5. Red Bull Renault 45
6. Toyota 32
7. Honda 16
8. Toro Rosso Ferrari 13
9. Super Aguri Honda 7
10. Spyker Ferrari 2

Just realized this has the harsher in hindsight implication of Vettel costing Webber and Red Bull a potential first win!

Does the table have to be the same as portrayed in the Schumacher Disqualification article?
Bobby Doorknobs

Lads, you're saving Aislabie a ton of work here for when "Missing the Points" covers this season. :deletraz:
#FreeGonzo
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Bobby Doorknobs wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 11:56 Lads, you're saving Aislabie a ton of work here for when "Missing the Points" covers this season. :deletraz:
Glad to be of service.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Har1MAS1415 wrote:
Does the table have to be the same as portrayed in the Schumacher Disqualification article?
Didn’t see this line. Yes exactly like that if you can.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote: 14 Oct 2022, 00:11
Har1MAS1415 wrote:
Didn’t see this line. Yes exactly like that if you can.
I'll try.
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

I wonder if, at some point, a new Tony Shelly profile would be possible? His profile on the old site is the only one that wasn't archived.