2016 Chinese Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Miguel98

2016 Chinese Grand Prix

Post by Miguel98 »

Still opening early threads as usual this year...

Some quite interesting strategies playing along the field.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Aguaman

Re: 2016 Chinese Grand Prix

Post by Aguaman »

It's always going to be Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix. It's the only GP that I think of the sponsor.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

According to Paddy Lowe it's possible we'll be in for a tremendous opening dozen laps or so in the race: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123710/expect-pitstops-by-lap-five-in-china--lowe
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Why would you only take one set of a particular tyre? (looking at Massa/Big John)
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Izzyeviel wrote:Why would you only take one set of a particular tyre? (looking at Massa/Big John)

Because you have 13 sets, you will be given 1 set each of three available by default. The remaining 10 sets are free to choose.
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I assume it is Thursday when we find out if Alonso is allowed to race in China? I for one would actually like to see Vandoorne get another race, just to see if he can consistently beat Button.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

The return to 2015 Qualifying is being written up as some sort of defeat for Bernie and the FIA which means they can expect a barrage of questions from journos about it this weekend, if Todt is in attendance (which you can't guarantee to be honest), and with both men being prone to petulant behaviour I fully expect some sort of retribution if they get sick of it.

EDIT - That reads even worse than my normal posts. Clearly, I'M not expecting any retribution, I'm expecting some retribution aimed at those responsible for the perceived loss of face i.e the team principles, the drivers and the sport itself. I'd be surprised if Eccleston and Todt turned up where I lived and started poking dog poo through my letter box, for example, whilst shouting "Our Qualifying was better, even if it wasn't and you're nothing but a dickhead!"
Just For One Day...
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

CoopsII wrote:EDIT - That reads even worse than my normal posts. Clearly, I'M not expecting any retribution, I'm expecting some retribution aimed at those responsible for the perceived loss of face i.e the team principles, the drivers and the sport itself. I'd be surprised if Eccleston and Todt turned up where I lived and started poking dog poo through my letter box, for example, whilst shouting "Our Qualifying was better, even if it wasn't and you're nothing but a dickhead!"

Coops, two things. First, if that ever happened, you'd be a legend and never have to work again. Second, if anyone could get that kind of reaction from Bernie and Todt, it would be you! ;)
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

According to the man himself, Hamilton has a five-place grid penalty for a gearbox change: https://www.instagram.com/p/BEKFZ8yr005/
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

AustralianStig wrote:According to the man himself, Hamilton has a five-place grid penalty for a gearbox change: https://www.instagram.com/p/BEKFZ8yr005/

This just proves Mercedes are favouring Cheatsburg this year, as they have always done.

I'm getting banned for that, aren't I?
#FreeGonzo
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Simtek wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:According to the man himself, Hamilton has a five-place grid penalty for a gearbox change: https://www.instagram.com/p/BEKFZ8yr005/

This just proves Mercedes are favouring Cheatsburg this year, as they have always done.

Whilst we have lots of Hamilton-dislikers, we're severely lacking in Rosberg-supporterss for such a claim to really anger anyone.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I have the feeling Williams will mess with the strategies again despite having and interesting set of tyres.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Dj_bereta wrote:I have the feeling Williams will mess with the strategies again despite having and interesting set of tyres.

Well, what's new?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

Bobby Doorknobs

And now it seems Alonso has been cleared to race. Looks like we'll be forced to wait for more Stoffel :(
#FreeGonzo
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AustralianStig wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:I have the feeling Williams will mess with the strategies again despite having and interesting set of tyres.

Well, what's new?

I feel that they cannot mess it forever. On pure odds only. Someday they will nail it! So why not China? If they do it now, maybe they can get it right again in Silverstone and they be free to mess it up for the rest of the season.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Simtek wrote:And now it seems Alonso has been cleared to race. Looks like we'll be forced to wait for more Stoffel :(

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alons ... ts-686881/
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I for one am happy about Hamilton's penalty from an entertainment perspective. Despite recent form, I still rate Hamilton as the far better (or at least far more exciting) driver and a big points deficit in the championship will make things even more interesting. That's assuming Hamilton doesn't suddenly become a demon starter this weekend to challenge for the win; I think it will be difficult from 6th on the grid at best to win.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Simtek wrote:This just proves Mercedes are favouring Cheatsburg this year, as they have always done.

Whether you're being ironic or not you did make me laugh with that one.
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

We have yet another Lewis Hamilton-related controversy worthy of a '-gate' suffix...

Dinnergate: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/a ... on-rosberg

Absolutely scandalous, yet another reason to hate Rosberg.

I really need to stop...
#FreeGonzo
Row Man Gross-Gene

Simtek wrote:We have yet another Lewis Hamilton-related controversy worthy of a '-gate' suffix...

Dinnergate: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/a ... on-rosberg

Absolutely scandalous, yet another reason to hate Rosberg.

I really need to stop...

That is kind of funny. Just let Lewis get it boys! You can bet that if I'm ever at dinner with Lewis, he's getting the check. Then I'm going to order steak, lobster, crab, and anything else I can think of!
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Simtek wrote:Absolutely scandalous, yet another reason to hate Rosberg.

I really need to stop...

:D Simtek, I think you need a hug.
Just For One Day...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Being married to a woman of 100% German decent, I can believe Nico wanted to split it up (my wife splits checks to embarrassing degrees, down to the penny). But knowing what I read about Lewis, I find it hard to believe he offered to pay.

Better question is where was Kimi? His tab alone would have been the dealbreaker lol.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

DanielPT wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:

Well, what's new?

I feel that they cannot mess it forever. On pure odds only. Someday they will nail it! So why not China? If they do it now, maybe they can get it right again in Silverstone and they be free to mess it up for the rest of the season.

And now Williams are having trouble with tyres coming off the rim (if you believe Pirelli) or punctures (if you believe Williams). This doesn't look good.

CoopsII wrote:

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Gutiérrez's mechanical luck....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

F1 WEAKLY BRECKING NEWS TABLOID REPORTIN' IN:
American Haas F1 project revealed to exist solely for the purpose of making fun of Mexicans! Will conspiracy prove true?!

On a serious note, I hope they solve the puzzle of why everything goes wrong, Guti^x2 needs points like breathing...
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I never gave much attention to Gene Haas, but I find myself increasingly liking his stance. It was something I think F1 needed to hear more often although, he might be a single voice lost amid the waves of incessant complaining.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Row Man Gross-Gene

DanielPT wrote:

I never gave much attention to Gene Haas, but I find myself increasingly liking his stance. It was something I think F1 needed to hear more often although, he might be a single voice lost amid the waves of incessant complaining.

I just hope Gene Haas hasn't jinxed his team with that strongly-worded statement. I still expect them to drop off a bit before too long and for their lack of budget to prevent a lot of car development throughout the year. That said, I really hope they keep it up. I'm a big fan of Grosjean and I like seeing him mix it for decent points. Plus I like seeing a US team be successful. Perhaps more teams will want to come into the sport now that Haas has shown it can be done.

Hopefully Williams don't have a fatal flaw with their wheels causing their problem. I'd hate to see them have to sit out this race.

-Jamie McGregor

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AustralianStig wrote:And now Williams are having trouble with tyres coming off the rim (if you believe Pirelli) or punctures (if you believe Williams). This doesn't look good.

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:Hopefully Williams don't have a fatal flaw with their wheels causing their problem. I'd hate to see them have to sit out this race.

I mentioned the chances of Williams getting their strategy right for once, but obviously failed to see the other side. Having botched so badly lately strategy wise they stopped destroying their race through tyre strategy and started to destroy the tyres altogether. :roll:
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Whining about Whiners. How delicious. It is good to see the American team get a bit of swagger finally. If I were Gene I'd be playing the underdog card in the shop. "Everybody hates us" and all that. Could keep the motivation up for a while.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:And now Williams are having trouble with tyres coming off the rim (if you believe Pirelli) or punctures (if you believe Williams). This doesn't look good.

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:Hopefully Williams don't have a fatal flaw with their wheels causing their problem. I'd hate to see them have to sit out this race.

I mentioned the chances of Williams getting their strategy right for once, but obviously failed to see the other side. Having botched so badly lately strategy wise they stopped destroying their race through tyre strategy and started to destroy the tyres altogether. :roll:

It seems that Williams have worked out what was causing the problem, which appears to be down to the rear brake duct catching the inside wall of the tyre. https://adamcooperf1.com/2016/04/15/mas ... rake-duct/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

This gif really sums up Ron Dennis and says so much about him and Mclaren.

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/721199743137918976
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

Though I love hopeless indepenent teams, Gene Haas has a point about current Formula 1 whiners.

2010: Those new teams are pointless! Who needs them?
2012: Those new teams are still pointless!
2014: Those new teams are a disgrace! F1 needs successful new teams!
2016: This damn new team is TOO SUCCESSFUL! It's inappropriate!

Seriously, noble men, wipe your brains cause there's a lot of dirt there.
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Inters are useless as Haas' drivers have shown.

Wehlrein crashes into the barrier on the side cause damp patch. Red Flag
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

why is my F1 livestream showing kids tv?
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

DRS on adamp track? Yeah not the best idea.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I think that's the first time someone has crashed on the pit straight. And not a great way to follow up your Bahrain GP, Pascal.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

[quote="Izzyeviel"]why is my F1 livestream showing kids tv?[/quote

Which show?
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Aguaman wrote:
Izzyeviel wrote:why is my F1 livestream showing kids tv?[/quote

Which show?

I was happily watching FP3, and when that finished I went to have a shite and came back and they were showing something called 'Game Changers' So many ugly kids :(