The Formula 1 Song Contest Alternate Championship

Archive for the three above subforums
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

The Formula 1 Song Contest Alternate Championship

Post by novitopoli »

In few words, this is a mashup of two things I love: Formula 1 and the Eurovision Song Contest. Which means:

- This championship will start in 1956;
- Only GPs held in countries taking part to that year's ESC will count (which means, for example, no Italy between 1998 and 2010)
- The points awarded will mostly correspond to that year's ESC points system, with a couple of adjustments, which means:
*1956: 2 points to the winner;
*1962: 3-2-1;
*1963: 5-4-3-2-1;
*1964-1966: 5-3-1;
*1957-1961, 1967-1970, 1974: 10 points for each race, which will be distributed the way the national jury had distributed them on that year (e.g.: the Dutch jury awarded 5-3-2 points in 1970, which means, the podium finishers at the 1970 Dutch GP will get 5, 3 and 2 points respectively);
*1975-today: the famous 12-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 system.

1971, 1972 and 1973 are a bit of a problem, since songs were rated rather than ranked, which means I'm open to suggestions regarding whether-and how-to consider these seasons.

I'm also considering adding the following rules:
- Only drivers from countries taking part to the ESC can score points;
- No driver can score points in his home GP.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
UncreativeUsername37

Re: The Formula 1 Song Contest Alternate Championship

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

novitopoli wrote:1971, 1972 and 1973 are a bit of a problem, since songs were rated rather than ranked, which means I'm open to suggestions regarding whether-and how-to consider these seasons.

I'm also considering adding the following rules:
- Only drivers from countries taking part to the ESC can score points;
- No driver can score points in his home GP.

Since 1970 and 1974 had the same rules, you could just do that.

- Meh, having the race-excluding rule only makes more sense from a racing perspective. Regional series go to their own region's tracks, but don't forbid any drivers....
- I don't see the point in this.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Formula 1 Song Contest Alternate Championship

Post by Nessafox »

novitopoli wrote:1971, 1972 and 1973 are a bit of a problem, since songs were rated rather than ranked, which means I'm open to suggestions regarding whether-and how-to consider these seasons.

Well, you just give the drivers a rating, then. You'll be functioning as a jury. If it's Eurosong-themed, you don't have to stick with rules that make sense from a racing perspective.

I'm suggesting that only driver per nation can score points too. Considering countries only sent one song. (except in the first edition, where 2 songs per country were allowed) So nations have to nominate a driver before the race. (i suggest not using the best scoring driver, but simply the nominated driver, which is based on the decision of the jury, being you)
Being Belgian, i insist on alternating between a flemish and walloon driver like the eurovision did in reality. As there are no Flemish drivers (except for Goethals), i suppose Brussels will do as substitution.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!