2015 Italian Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Miguel98

2015 Italian Grand Prix

Post by Miguel98 »

And we start with..

Oh Renault :facepalm:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
AxelP800

Re: 2015 Italian Grand Prix

Post by AxelP800 »

Think it in a positive way: Now they have fresher engine for Singapore and the chance of winning is better.
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

AxelP800 wrote:Think it in a positive way: Now they have fresher engine for Singapore and the chance of winning is better.

Bingo. This was always the plan - what chance of a result was Red Bull gonna have at Monza anyway? The track is almost completely reliant on engine power.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

What's the over/under on Honda penalties? 120?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio wrote:What's the over/under on Honda penalties? 120?

Do you mean you will allow us 120 leeway on the number of penalties McLaren Honda will get?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

dr-baker wrote:

Do you mean you will allow us 120 leeway on the number of penalties McLaren Honda will get?

Still wouldn't bet on it...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dr-baker wrote:

No I mean if the over/under is set at exactly 120 grid spots total, which would you bet high or low? I'm honestly torn after Spa.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I think we have Reject of the Race sewn up already.

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

good_Ralf wrote:Image

"Attempting to win over popular opinion for the recently announced Grand Prix of the People's Republic, Mercedes has hired Dennis Rodman as brand ambassador....."

mario

Post by mario »

Salamander wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:Think it in a positive way: Now they have fresher engine for Singapore and the chance of winning is better.

Bingo. This was always the plan - what chance of a result was Red Bull gonna have at Monza anyway? The track is almost completely reliant on engine power.

McLaren adopted a similar tactic in Belgium too - part of the reason for the massive engine penalties was because McLaren and Honda deliberately introduced components out of the normal cycle in order to change to the new specification powertrain in one hit. It also makes sense given that Renault intend to introduce a new specification engine around the Russian GP - it enables them to split the mileage reasonably evenly between the final eight races and to get a decent amount of mileage with the new engine, so it is actually quite a sensible approach given that Red Bull knew they'd have to take engine penalties later in the year.

On the topic of engines, there is talk that Mercedes will be bringing a large chunk of changes too - there are reports that Mercedes has decided to deploy all of their engine tokens as the works drivers switch to their third engines in Monza in order to test out development parts for their 2016 car. However, it appears that the changes are not focussed at increasing the power of the engines, but are focussing more on improving reliability and fuel efficiency. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... italian-gp

As an aside, McLaren have also shown off their Monza spec package, and it is quite remarkable in one sense:
I don't think that I've seen a team use a rear wing that was that thin for a long time - which underlines how weak the powertrain must be.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

mario wrote:As an aside, McLaren have also shown off their Monza spec package, and it is quite remarkable in one sense:
I don't think that I've seen a team use a rear wing that was that thin for a long time - which underlines how weak the powertrain must be.

Well, they need all the speed they can get from the aero because that powertrain is not going to be helping them.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

roblomas52 wrote:
mario wrote:As an aside, McLaren have also shown off their Monza spec package, and it is quite remarkable in one sense:

Well, they need all the speed they can get from the aero because that powertrain is not going to be helping them.

I agree, because the rear wing is thin (which means not full size) then that also means that the powertrain of the McLaren car is poor, which means not good. From this, we can determine that the Honda engine in the back of that McLaren is down on power, because the aero on the rear is significantly smaller than it has been in the past. By reducing the rear wing to such a small size, it really emphasises the fact that McLaren don't have a strong engine. In a parallel world, McLaren would be using a deeper rear wing since the powertrain would be good, but since we don't live in such a world the Honda engine is therefore less than idea, and so by reducing the rear wing size means that the poor qualities of the powertrain are leveled out to a degree. To summarise, by reducing the rear downforce of the McLaren to such an extent, we're able to see how down on power the engine may be.

I need to catch my breath after that...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Ataxia wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

I agree, because the rear wing is thin (which means not full size) then that also means that the powertrain of the McLaren car is poor, which means not good. From this, we can determine that the Honda engine in the back of that McLaren is down on power, because the aero on the rear is significantly smaller than it has been in the past. By reducing the rear wing to such a small size, it really emphasises the fact that McLaren don't have a strong engine. In a parallel world, McLaren would be using a deeper rear wing since the powertrain would be good, but since we don't live in such a world the Honda engine is therefore less than idea, and so by reducing the rear wing size means that the poor qualities of the powertrain are leveled out to a degree. To summarise, by reducing the rear downforce of the McLaren to such an extent, we're able to see how down on power the engine may be.

So what you're saying is McLaren are running a thin rear wing because the Honda engine is poor?
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

:P
Wallio wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

No I mean if the over/under is set at exactly 120 grid spots total, which would you bet high or low? I'm honestly torn after Spa.

Note to self: remember that irony does not always work in written form on the internet... McLaren may as well bring in as many new engines and ancillaries for each car as possible in one hit to avoid further penalties further down the line.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

So what you're saying is McLaren are running a thin rear wing because the Honda engine is poor?

Wasn't it perfectly clear? :o
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

So why are McLaren running a thin rear wing?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AdrianSutil wrote:So why are McLaren running a thin rear wing?

There are rumours circulating in the paddock that McLaren's new engine supplier for 2015, the Japanese car manufacturer Honda, are suffering power delivery issues with their drivetrain package. As a result, McLaren have been left little option but to develop an extremely thin, near horizontal plane for their rear wing to compensate for these deficiencies.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
tBone

Post by tBone »

Is that the old, long nosecone on that McLaren? Why would they use that, could it cause less drag or something?

And, by the way, what happened to that rear wing? :pantano:
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7g0862r2qU
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Simtek wrote:
Ataxia wrote:I agree, because the rear wing is thin (which means not full size) then that also means that the powertrain of the McLaren car is poor, which means not good. From this, we can determine that the Honda engine in the back of that McLaren is down on power, because the aero on the rear is significantly smaller than it has been in the past. By reducing the rear wing to such a small size, it really emphasises the fact that McLaren don't have a strong engine. In a parallel world, McLaren would be using a deeper rear wing since the powertrain would be good, but since we don't live in such a world the Honda engine is therefore less than idea, and so by reducing the rear wing size means that the poor qualities of the powertrain are leveled out to a degree. To summarise, by reducing the rear downforce of the McLaren to such an extent, we're able to see how down on power the engine may be.

No he is not saying that. He is saying that McLaren are running a thin rear wing because the Honda engine is not good as it is down on power.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DanielPT wrote:
Simtek wrote:So what you're saying is McLaren are running a thin rear wing because the Honda engine is poor?

No he is not saying that. He is saying that McLaren are running a thin rear wing because the Honda engine is not good as it is down on power.

I don't think that's quite the angle he was going for there.

I interpreted his comments more as a case of the Honda drivetrain package being far from optimised, and as a result McLaren have opted to run a primary rear wing element with a narrower angle of attack and reduced surface area.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Biscione wrote:
DanielPT wrote:
Simtek wrote:So what you're saying is McLaren are running a thin rear wing because the Honda engine is poor?

I don't think that's quite the angle he was going for there.

I interpreted his comments more as a case of the Honda drivetrain package being far from optimised, and as a result McLaren have opted to run a primary rear wing element with a narrower angle of attack and reduced surface area.

Actually, that's not quite true.

I believe he rather means that the internal combustion unit as well as the auxiliary equipment surrounding it, all of which are designed to provide power through the transmission to drive the rear wheels, are in fact not quite producing enough of the required grunt to propel the automobile with quite the desired velocity, especially at a venue like Monza, where such swiftness is necessary.

It is due to this unfortunate lack of speed that the aerodynamic aerofoil mounted in a rather rearward position, colloquially referred to as the "rear wing", must be designed to be much thinner than its usual incarnation, for a smaller area exposed to the airflow resulting from the car's movement would result in much less drag force being generated, therefore allowing the McLaren MP4-30 to recoup some of this straightline deficit.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Has Ron Dennis hacked his way into the accounts of some of the long-term esteemed members of the Rejects forum?
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Ah, so that's why McLaren are running such a thin rear wing. It's all down to the shortcoming in their powertrain. By doing this, they can mitigate the deficit in power with an increase in straightline speed.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I've learnt loads reading these posts because before I did I simply thought that the McLaren was slow but now I know different.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

is that an engine like a search engine
i thought wings went on the side of things
y do we need engines
what's a monza
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Miguel98 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7g0862r2qU

But actually it makes sense, isn't it? An engine abusing circuit after all.
I'm surprised that McLaren went for that kind of wing, but I doubt that they will be able to achieve anything major in the end with that. :lol:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

And yet, Alonso was 16th in FP2.

Lotus and especially Force India are on form so far, both had the better of Williams.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
mario

Post by mario »

Well, I wasn't expecting that throwaway comment of mine to take on a life of its own - we really are bored this season, aren't we?
tBone wrote:Is that the old, long nosecone on that McLaren? Why would they use that, could it cause less drag or something?

And, by the way, what happened to that rear wing? :pantano:

It's not entirely clear why exactly McLaren have reverted back to the older nosecone (and McLaren have brought only the older nosecones with them to Monza). It could be for drag reasons, although it could also be that the newer short nose wasn't delivering the results they expected on track - they seem to have spent time running aero rakes and flow viz tests in FP1 and FP2, suggesting that they might have been collecting data for comparative purposes with their new nose cone.

Shizuka wrote:But actually it makes sense, isn't it? An engine abusing circuit after all.

There seems to be a range of reasons for introducing the upgrades in one hit here, and you are right that reliability is one aspect (some of the upgrades are intended to address reliability concerns).

The upgrade package also reportedly improves fuel consumption, which is particularly useful when some of the upcoming circuits, such as Singapore, are particularly taxing on that point, and comes at a very convenient point in Mercedes's engine cycle - they can introduce those upgrades without having to take an engine penalty, whereas Ferrari will almost certainly have to do so later in the year.

Asides from that, it seems that Mercedes are using this as an opportunity to collect data on parts which they are developing for 2016 - they have the luxury of effectively being able to focus their development efforts for next year and, with testing being cut back to just two pre-season sessions, utilising track time this year to collect data for 2016 could be very valuable.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Some of us are only occasionally bored.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

So, Ricky came to a stop in FP3, and it seems his engine problem is terminal. :facepalm:

novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Looks like another tough weekend for Renault, as even Will Stevens was faster than the Red Bulls and Toro Rossos in FP3. Kudos to Manor, btw.

Meanwhile the regional governor of Lombardy looks optimistic about Monza staying on the F1 calendar after 2016.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Spectoremg wrote:Some of us are only occasionally bored.

It's more than that. Some are even slightly bored.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
mario

Post by mario »

novitopoli wrote:Looks like another tough weekend for Renault, as even Will Stevens was faster than the Red Bulls and Toro Rossos in FP3. Kudos to Manor, btw.

Meanwhile the regional governor of Lombardy looks optimistic about Monza staying on the F1 calendar after 2016.

And it was also confirmed during that session that Verstappen will also be changing his engine, so all of the Renault powered drivers will be taking penalties for this race (it looks like Toro Rosso didn't even both trying to simulate a qualifying run). With so many drivers taking penalties, we will probably see the two Manor's crop up somewhere around 14th place, and that assumes that there aren't any further penalties in qualifying itself.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Not even Deletraz knows what Ericsson was doing
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Now now, Toro Rosso...

Given what's just happened in America this last fortnight, the last thing we need to be seeing is bodywork flying through the air. Well done on securing my nomination for Reject Of The Race before the race has even started.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

mario wrote:Well, I wasn't expecting that throwaway comment of mine to take on a life of its own - we really are bored this season, aren't we?

It was the fact that rob quoted you and then typed near verbatim what you'd already written. I'd wondered if you'd made that post in a large, open room, because you had a bit of an echo...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Rosberg chocked again or Will Power replaced him?
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Dj_bereta wrote:Rosberg chocked again or Will Power replaced him?

Neither. He was using the old-spec Mercedes engine.
#FreeGonzo