Your Reject of the Race - Hungary

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Hungary

Post by Londoner »

Post your nominations here. I don't actually know where to start with this award, there's so many options.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Fetzie

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Hungary

Post by Fetzie »

Maldonado for all those penalties
Hamilton for losing the race and those incidents
Raikonnen's energy recovery for dying
Anybody that finished behind Alonso
Last edited by Fetzie on 26 Jul 2015, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

The whole field bar Vettel, Kvyat and McLaren. I discount Ferrari as a whole because they f**ked Kimi's race up!
Primarily Mercedes, Hamilton for usually being incompetent at passing anyone without faltering. Rosberg will want to forget this race and celebrate his impending paternity.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Pastor Maldonado - Dem penalties but up yours Crofty.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Hon mention:

Lewis: 1st - 4th in three corners and then tried to blame Rosberg when he outbraked himself into turn 6 and dropped to 11th. Pulled it back to 4th and outbraked himself again trying to defend from Ricciardo. I'll give him a let off because he least he knew he messed up with that one and was still able to recover to 6th.

Ricciardo In online racing there's a word for what he did when he tried to pass Rosberg: Divebomb. It's not looked kindly on. Maybe having a near invincible Red Bull (seriously how many incidents did that car survive?) made him get a bit excited. That being said, his race wasn't terrible otherwise.

Raikkonen's power unit. Denied him a much deserved podium and potentially a Ferrari 1-2. Can't say I was ever expecting to feel sorry for Kimi after a race, but there you go.

But the winner:

Pastor Maldonado - Three penalties in one race. Remember, this man is an F1 race winner.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Mercedes: Got mugged at the start, which left them in position to get beaten back through damage accumulated through scraps.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:Post your nominations here. I don't actually know where to start with this award, there's so many options.

I agree that it is easier to list those who perhaps aren't eligible - I'm actually struggling myself to pick a particular candidate too.

There are, frankly, so many candidates here, ranging from Maldonado and Hamilton through to Ricciardo and Rosberg, the car failures for Kimi and Sainz Jr., Williams's shockingly poor pace, Lotus's pit crew, Force India's repeated component failures - frankly, I'm not sure when was the last time that we had a race where there were so many candidates (and that isn't even the full list).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Maldonado. Penalty hattrick. Gudjob
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

Maldonado for getting 3 penalties
Lewis Hamilton for being an idiotic whiny bitch who was slow, making mistakes and STILL he took more points than Nico Rosberg because of the collision at the end
Kimi Raikkonens MGU-K for denying a Ferrari 1-2.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

As per my post in the discussion thread, it has to be the entire field bar Vettel, Alonso and the Manors.

Lewis Hamilton fluffed the start, blamed Rosberg for shoving him off the track (when it was entirely his fault), then made a total mess of the SC restart. Given his race, he kinda doesn't deserve to be leaving here with an extended points lead..

Nico Rosberg had no answer to Hammy or the Ferraris. For some daft reason, he wanted the slower medium tyres for his last stint. If he'd gone to the softs, he'd have eaten Vettel for lunch within three laps of the restart, and won this race by a canter. This is how titles are lost.

Kimi Raikkonen's MGU-K denied him a deserved 2nd position.

Daniel Ricciardo went #yolo once too many whilst trying to pass Rosberg.

Daniil Kvyat perhaps doesn't deserve to be mentioned here, given he finished 2nd. Regardless, that was silly to pass there, and he got 10 seconds added to his time.

Valtteri Bottas was anonymous all race. In a race like this, that takes effort.

Felipe Massa was godawful. Mistake-strewn race, and responsible for the aborted start.

Jenson Button was crushed by Alonso.

Nico Hulkenberg's front wing, for denying him a solid points finish, and causing a scary accident. That being said, it gave us those crazy last 20 laps...

Sergio Perez turned into Maldonado at turn one. Very silly mistake.

Romain Grosjean copped a penalty for a silly incident in the pitlane.

Pastor Maldonado. Pastor y, y u do dis? :(

Max Verstappen caused Bottas's puncture. Also copped a DTP for missing the VSC delta time.

Carlos Sainz Jr had no answer to Verstappen all weekend

The Saubers were plain slow all weekend. Remember when Nasr was the fastest car on the straight at Melbourne? Seems a very long time ago now...

I can't bring myself to nominate the Manors, given Jules's passing
Last edited by Londoner on 26 Jul 2015, 14:19, edited 2 times in total.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

East Londoner wrote:For some daft reason, he wanted the slower medium tyres for his last stint.

I am going to say this once, loud and clear, so the slower ones amongst you can grasp this:

He was only fighting Hamilton before the Safety Car came out. Matching the tyre choice of the only driver you are competing against is a safe, but sensible move.
went

Post by went »

Fetzie wrote:Anybody that finished behind Alonso

This (minus the Manors, of course).

Though I'll give three specific mentions: Maldonado, who got so many penalties the Spanish TV commentator suggested he should be sent to some Hungarian court after the race; Hamilton for blowing up his race all by himself, repeatedly, from begining to end; and Force India for their car piece failures.
Last edited by went on 26 Jul 2015, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Hamilton...
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

East Londoner wrote:I can't bring myself to nominate the Manors, given Jules's passing

I don't see how anybody could nominate Manor, given that they were one of the very few that did nothing wrong this afternoon.
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

Vettel for going from flag to flag and looking like Vettelwinslol will be a thing again

Hamilton for the number of mistakes he made alll race, still his wit at the end of the race was good. "What do you regret?" 'The race'

Massa - You could have been a condender but instead you end up way down the field, you prat.
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

NICO ROSBERG. What an ass. :evil:
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

SuperAguri wrote:Vettel for going from flag to flag and looking like Vettelwinslol will be a thing again

Only on tracks with less than two fast straights though.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Everyone battling for real estate at Turn 1, bar Grosjean and Bottas. I honestly can't count how many times people were run so wide at that turn. Spatial awareness today there was at an absolute minimum. For some reason, every driver that goes through turn 1 has tunnel vision for the exit of that turn, regardless if there's a car in the way or not.

Bottas and Grosjean were pretty much the only drivers to avoid contact there by either running wide or holding back when they knew someone else had a car up in there, both times Hamilton in fact, and that's why I'm excluding them from there.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

SuperAguri wrote:Vettel for going from flag to flag and looking like Vettelwinslol will be a thing again

Nononononononononono. NO
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Was going to write up a lot of nominations, but this pretty much covers it for me:
East Londoner wrote:As per my post in the discussion thread, it has to be the entire field bar Vettel, Alonso and the Manors.

Lewis Hamilton fluffed the start, blamed Rosberg for shoving him off the track (when it was entirely his fault), then made a total mess of the SC restart. Given his race, he kinda doesn't deserve to be leaving here with an extended points lead..

Nico Rosberg had no answer to Hammy or the Ferraris. For some daft reason, he wanted the slower medium tyres for his last stint. If he'd gone to the softs, he'd have eaten Vettel for lunch within three laps of the restart, and won this race by a canter. This is how titles are lost.

Kimi Raikkonen's MGU-K denied him a deserved 2nd position.

Daniel Ricciardo went #yolo once too many whilst trying to pass Rosberg.

Daniil Kvyat perhaps doesn't deserve to be mentioned here, given he finished 2nd. Regardless, that was silly to pass there, and he got 10 seconds added to his time.

Valtteri Bottas was anonymous all race. In a race like this, that takes effort.

Felipe Massa was godawful. Mistake-strewn race, and responsible for the aborted start.

Jenson Button was crushed by Alonso.

Nico Hulkenberg's front wing, for denying him a solid points finish, and causing a scary accident. That being said, it gave us those crazy last 20 laps...

Sergio Perez turned into Maldonado at turn one. Very silly mistake.

Romain Grosjean copped a penalty for a silly incident in the pitlane.

Pastor Maldonado. Pastor y, y u do dis? :(

Max Verstappen caused Bottas's puncture. Also copped a DTP for missing the VSC delta time.

Carlos Sainz Jr had no answer to Verstappen all weekend

The Saubers were plain slow all weekend. Remember when Nasr was the fastest car on the straight at Melbourne? Seems a very long time ago now...

I can't bring myself to nominate the Manors, given Jules's passing
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

Klon wrote:
East Londoner wrote:For some daft reason, he wanted the slower medium tyres for his last stint.

I am going to say this once, loud and clear, so the slower ones amongst you can grasp this:

He was only fighting Hamilton before the Safety Car came out. Matching the tyre choice of the only driver you are competing against is a safe, but sensible move.

Normally I would agree, but this time around I do feel that Rosberg made a strategic error by not opting for the soft tyres for a number of reasons.

Firstly, given that the track temperature was consistently increasing as the race went on, that would be favourable for the soft tyres given that they have a higher working temperature range - there was more than one team that mentioned that was an advantage of leaving the final stint on the soft tyres to the end of the race.

Furthermore, although it was only a virtual safety car at the time that Rosberg decided to pit, the more rapid tyre warm up would be favourable in those circumstances - even more so when there was the switch to the full safety car. Tyre wear was not much of an issue either - Rosberg had fairly comfortably done 21 laps earlier in the race on higher fuel with the softs with no major issues - especially with the knowledge that there would be multiple fairly slow laps coming up.

Now, earlier in the race the team were advising Rosberg to use the soft tyres for the next stint - I can only assume that Rosberg chose to overrule the team, and I am not entirely sure what benefit he saw in doing so.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Like what East Londoner and Enforcer said, Everyone in the field barring Vettel, Alonso, and the Manors.

First, there's Hamilton. Drove like a complete jackass today. Had a less than stellar start which saw him swamped, outbraked himself and then blamed it on Rosberg, toiled around for a bit and then drove into the side of Ricciardo which earned him a penalty.

Rosberg also gets a mention because of that silly incident with Ricciardo. While it could be argued that Rosberg had drifted into Ricciardo's wing, it could also be said that Ricciardo set up that situation by causing that overambitious divebomb.

Williams were appalling. Bottas received a puncture which dropped him to the back and thus was never heard of again. Massa was the culprit of that aborted start and was also nowhere in sight.

Maldonado, well, was Maldonado. And what was that, 3 penalties? 4? And for stupid reasons too, such as nearly flipping over Perez, speeding in the pitlane, and I think overtaking under the safety car. Maybe there was a fourth; it's been too many.

Raikkonen's MGU-K failure was bad luck but it did rob a much needed Ferrari 1-2. Didn't help that the whole "turn it off and turn it on again" trick didn't work.

Sauber were slow, but this is becoming the norm it seems.

Force India I feel sorry for since they do have a genuinely fast car. Hulkenberg would've easily finished in the points as too Perez but the wing failure aboard Hulkenberg was shocking and the incident between Perez and Maldonado was unnecessary. I also noticed Perez retired shortly after they put the old front nose on the car; anyone catch the reason why?
mario

Post by mario »

Dan B wrote:Force India I feel sorry for since they do have a genuinely fast car. Hulkenberg would've easily finished in the points as too Perez but the wing failure aboard Hulkenberg was shocking and the incident between Perez and Maldonado was unnecessary. I also noticed Perez retired shortly after they put the old front nose on the car; anyone catch the reason why?

All Force India have said so far is that they needed to stop Perez - it is possible that they chose to retire the car because they were concerned about components failing, as they have had a couple of problems this weekend (they had to strengthen the suspension arms after Perez's suspension failure in the practise sessions, and I think that they are planning on introducing a slightly revised design in the future to prevent that issue occurring again).
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

I forgot to say that Massa was absolutely horrible today. With Bottas on 6th position, he was trailing around P13. And when he suddenly emerged on P9 again after the Hulkenberg incident, he was dropping behind once more.

Bottas was just unlucky, but Massa. Geesh, just hang up the keys, man.
Zergon

Post by Zergon »

Lots of possibly nominates this time but I just have to give this to Pastor Maldonado as three penalties in one race it two too much even for him. :D

Dishonorable mentions:
Williams: No points from a race where they should had got some rather easily. Special mention to Massa who was never really a factor after serving that penalty on first pit stop.
Mercedes: They looked so good on qualifying but the race itself was... well bad. Both drivers were bit crash happy today and that´s what costed them here. Still, I´m not complaining as it made a whole lot more interesting race.
Force India: Looked good at the start of the race but that front wing incident automatically makes this a bad race for them in my books. Shame, considering that they could have gotten good points this time around.
Last edited by Zergon on 26 Jul 2015, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

1)Nico Rosberg: Doing his best interpretation of Will "James Allen" Power, Chokesberg had every chance to be WDC leader, but he couldn't match Vettel's speed, couldn't hold Ricciardo's charge, and ended with a self-inflicted puncture that sent him down the order.

2)Lotus: PENALTIES! PENALTIES EVERYWHERE!

Dishonorable mentions to Force India (breakups) and Felipe Massa (no pace)

The Too Many Monster Shots Award goes to Lewis Hamilton: Too much revs
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Zergon wrote:Lots of possibly nominates this time but I just have to give this to Pastor Maldonado as three penalties in one race it two too much even for him. :D

When he was under investigation for the third time I thought he would eventually get disqualified because he kept getting penalties. But of course, this isn't a Codemasters game.
Last edited by good_Ralf on 26 Jul 2015, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Press_Play2002

Post by Press_Play2002 »

Anyone who was involved in an incident/crash or penalised All were having a crap day and some (looking at you Lewis) refused to admit their faults. Not to mention the Incessant droning on of Bi-sodding anchi COME ON PEOPLE, WE GET IT! YOU'RE VERY UPSET ABOUT HIS DEMISE! MOVE. ON.
/rant over.

So yeah, most if not all who were penalised today should be worthy of being awarded of this prestigious award. That is all.
tumblr: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/n0tab0x1871 TARTZ: http://truefalse1989.deviantart.com/
"I think Press_Play2002 is on a downward spiral and has lost it completely"
~Mark WebberNot a real quote by the way
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Both Mercedes drivers with their DISASTROUS races :facepalm: :facepalm:
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Press_Play2002 wrote:Not to mention the [b]Incessant droning on of Bi-sodding anchi COME ON PEOPLE, WE GET IT! YOU'RE VERY UPSET ABOUT HIS DEMISE! MOVE. ON.

Being that this is the first race since the demise of Jules, it is only natural that he is still in the minds of those competing as well as those viewing. It was only natural for the sport as a whole to pay their respects to the man to whom this sport meant everything. You may not see it that way, but it does not give you reason to tell people to move on when that is what they are going to do come Belgium. Are you saying it was wrong for the first two grid slots to be painted with the Brazilian and Austrian flags in Monaco 1994?
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Press_Play2002 wrote:Anyone who was involved in an incident/crash or penalised All were having a crap day and some (looking at you Lewis) refused to admit their faults.

Fairly certain Hamilton did for once actually say he had a crap race, and more or less said he didn't deserve any points.

And none of those incidents were Ricciardo's fault anyway... /fanboy

As for the comments on Bianchi... well, Simtek put it far better than I ever could have.
Everything's great.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Press_Play2002 wrote:Anyone who was involved in an incident/crash or penalised All were having a crap day and some (looking at you Lewis) refused to admit their faults.

You didn't hear the team radio broadcast of Lewis apologizing to his team for bathplugging it up so badly, before his race engineer told him to shut up and drive because points were still on the table?

Not making an excuse for him, but he definitely appeared to accept that it was his fault that he messed up a certain win this afternoon.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I wasn't going to nominate this time, as I thought everyone deserved credit after this week.

But since press_play2002 has come out with such an idiotic comment (and signature as well) then the award goes to them.

Have some respect, idiot.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Barbazza wrote:I wasn't going to nominate this time, as I thought everyone deserved credit after this week.

But since press_play2002 has come out with such an idiotic comment (and signature as well) then the award goes to them.

Wow I didn't even notice his signature. That's... pretty tasteless.
Everything's great.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. Hamilton for not playing the long game*.
2. Rosberg for not playing the long game*.
*The long game: being able to deal with a situation where you're not in 1st or 2nd place on the first lap and come home with some decent points.
Honourable mention (for a career): Anyone who thinks, or has ever thought that Rosberg's any good.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Barbazza wrote:But since press_play2002 has come out with such an idiotic comment (and signature as well) then the award goes to them.

Indeed. Kid doesn't know how to handle his feelings. He has been banned for a week, and hopefully this bucks his idea up a bit. If you feel sentiment is being forcefully shoved down your throat, the correct response is to be respectfully silent, not openly criticise others' mourning. Hopefully he learns this lesson going forward.

Anyway, an official ROTR...crikey, that's a tough one. Will definitely need time to think about it. First nominations go towards the Mercedes drivers, who both ruined their races without any third party assistance. Pastor Maldonado for doing nothing to shake the stereotypes about his racing style with a trifecta of penalties. The MGU in Kimi's Ferrari. Much deliberation required!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

A lot of options but Lewis Hamilton is the winner hands down. An awful race for a driver who is defending his championship. Bad start, them missed the chicane and blamed Rosberg when it was his fault. His crash with Ricciardo is almost a copy of what he did with Button in the German Grand Prix of last year, but with worse results (a broken front wing + a penalty). He was lucky to finish in the points, since the race control helped a lot the front runners in not allowing the lapped cars to close with the pack.

If he continues to drive like this, he is going to lose the championship to Vettel for sure.

Special Mention for:

Rosberg: Like the last year race, drove like someone who threw the towel already. He needs to stop being too conservative, he isn't the leader of the championship! Look at Ricciardo, he drove like a champion today.

Race Control: Wait all cars close with Safety Car before restarting the race!

Williams: A godawful weekend. No points and only ahead of Marussia.

Force India: Well... pretty dangerous a front wing breaking in the end of the straight.

Maldonado: Well, for me the crash with Perez is 50/50. But the two penalties that he got made him lose an opportunity to score some points.
Last edited by Dj_bereta on 26 Jul 2015, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

In order to avoid actually coming to a single decision on this, I'll just settle with the nomination I made yesterday, which was Suzi Perry (and the rest of the BBC coverage). Man, this year's been dreadful, and they just seem so excited race after race that Hamilton is going to win a boring, processional race. But then a race comes along where he is tested in fighting for position, fails time after time after time, and they still put a positive spin because of an incredibly lucky and undeserved 6th place. Reminds me of Vettel's podium at Abu Dhabi 2012

Williams is the biggest offender, otherwise. Massa's race was anonymous other than the obvious start issue. I don't see how he deserved a penalty for it, that just seemed out of nowhere to me. Bottas got a puncture from a Toro Rosso and never recovered, and the result between the two Williams drivers was just terrible, completely reversing all the gains they had made against Ferrari after Monaco.

Should I mention Hamilton again? Yes, it was that bad a race. Honourable mention to Hamilton.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Lewis Hamilton - Clear ROTR. Spend all the race making stupid mistakes.
Pastor Maldonado - Just.. so many penalties.
Felipe Massa - Lol nope. just awful
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

As many did, I'll mention the whole field bar Vettel, Alonso and the Manors. Honorable mentions should go to Maldonado, but pretty much anyone bar the afore mentioned drivers did something rejectful today.
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.