2015 Monaco Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

2015 Monaco Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Londoner »

Suddenly, the odds of Manor/Marussia repeating the heroics of Jules Bianchi last year have shortened. Inb4 the rain blows over and ends up soaking middle France or Southern England instead.

Other things to consider: Will Rosberg make it three wins in a row at the Principality? Will Hamilton continue to sulk? Will McLaren score some points? Will Pastor Maldonado finally get a touch of good luck this year?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
GerhardTalger

Re: 2015 Monaco Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by GerhardTalger »

Will Pastor finish for the first time in Monaco?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Will Stevens score a point?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Maldonado for the win.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Please, please, please let a pole-sitting Rosberg qualifying mistake yellow flag Gangsta Hamilton's final lap! :lol:
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Ataxia wrote:Will Stevens score a point?

What you did. It's there. And I see it. I see what you did there.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Rob Dylan wrote:Maldonado for the win.

Yes please or at least Ericsson.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

The track has been shortened by a whole three metres: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/05/20/m ... c-changes/

Oh yeah, and a lot of it's been resurfaced.
#FreeGonzo
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

We have our first penalty of the weekend, and surprisingly enough, it doesn't apply to a Honda or Renault engined car...

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

East Londoner wrote:We have our first penalty of the weekend, and surprisingly enough, it doesn't apply to a Honda or Renault engined car...

But Grosjean drives for Lotus-Renau....

Still struggling to cope with the concept of "Team Enstone" not having Renault power anymore. :oops:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Biscione wrote:
East Londoner wrote:We have our first penalty of the weekend, and surprisingly enough, it doesn't apply to a Honda or Renault engined car...

But Grosjean drives for Lotus-Renau....

Still struggling to cope with the concept of "Team Enstone" not having Renault power anymore. :oops:

I know, it's weird. Lasted as long as the McLaren Mercedes partnership, assuming you count Mechachrome/Playlife/Supertec.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Simtek wrote:The track has been shortened by a whole three metres: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/05/20/m ... c-changes/

That ought to affect the track's grip levels, that phenomenon has happened a few times in the past.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

good_Ralf wrote:
Simtek wrote:The track has been shortened by a whole three metres: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/05/20/m ... c-changes/

That ought to affect the track's grip levels, that phenomenon has happened a few times in the past.

Well it goes look cleaner and wider?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Another race, another press release from Force India attacking F1's structure. Though I don't think anyone can really disagree on this one, we've pretty much always known this.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Salamander wrote:Another race, another press release from Force India attacking F1's structure. Though I don't think anyone can really disagree on this one, we've pretty much always known this.

I noticed the Red Bull agreed with FI on this one - RB's almost always got the blame and flak regarding strategy group stuff. :?
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

FMecha wrote:
Salamander wrote:Another race, another press release from Force India attacking F1's structure. Though I don't think anyone can really disagree on this one, we've pretty much always known this.

I noticed the Red Bull agreed with FI on this one - RB's almost always got the blame and flak regarding strategy group stuff. :?

That caught my eye too - but like I said, you can't really disagree with them on this. The strategy group has accomplished nothing of any worth, and teams having actual influence over rule changes is extremely bad for everyone.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Verstappen is looking pretty quick in the wet so far. If reliability stays as it often is at Monaco, he may have an outside shot at a podium.

This makes me ponder what will happen if he does make the top 3? He's only 17, too young for even you drunkards in Europe to have a bottle of champagne...
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Bobby Doorknobs

CaptainGetz12 wrote:This makes me ponder what will happen if he does make the top 3? He's only 17, too young for even you drunkards in Europe to have a bottle of champagne...

Prince Albert's going to be there. Max can probably just ask him if it's OK. I'm sure he'll be cool with it ;)
#FreeGonzo
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:Verstappen is looking pretty quick in the wet so far. If reliability stays as it often is at Monaco, he may have an outside shot at a podium.

This makes me ponder what will happen if he does make the top 3? He's only 17, too young for even you drunkards in Europe to have a bottle of champagne...

As long as he's accompanied by an adult and it's with a meal, Max is fine. So, if Jos joins him on the podium with a steak dinner, he's probably allowed a glass.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:Verstappen is looking pretty quick in the wet so far. If reliability stays as it often is at Monaco, he may have an outside shot at a podium.

"Children champagne". Also known as bubbly apple juice.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Well I presume he doesn't have to buy it, which I recall from my travels is the only restriction they have in France. Monaco would presumably keep things consistent with something like that, so he's golden!
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Salamander wrote:
FMecha wrote:

That caught my eye too - but like I said, you can't really disagree with them on this. The strategy group has accomplished nothing of any worth, and teams having actual influence over rule changes is extremely bad for everyone.

Toto Wolff said something I thought was rather amusing about the achievements of the Strategy Group:

Toto Wolff wrote:Whatever solutions we come up with, it’s all shite.

Indeed Toto. Indeed.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

If that is a legitimate quote, then hopefully people start to realise what's going on. Its a shame the sport is going round in circles.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AdrianSutil wrote:Its a shame the sport is going round in circles.

:D That's about the only thing they can still agree on ;)
Just For One Day...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

AdrianSutil wrote:If that is a legitimate quote, then hopefully people start to realise what's going on. Its a shame the sport is going round in circles.

He was quoted in an article on the strategy group on F1 Fanatic, so I'm pretty certain it's legit. Bob Fernley's comments in the team boss press conference this weekend were pretty funny as well.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

This wrote:

"Children champagne". Also known as bubbly apple juice.

Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

I always imagined that a soda (like Sprite) could substitute champagne for the podiums. :P
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Bobby Doorknobs

FMecha wrote:I always imagined that a soda (like Sprite) could substitute champagne for the podiums. :P

How about Diet Coke and mentos? Too far? ;)
#FreeGonzo
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

I don't exactly know the rules for other european countries, but in Germany, 16-year-olds are allowed to drink beer and wine, so he'd be allowed to drink champagne.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
FMecha wrote:I always imagined that a soda (like Sprite) could substitute champagne for the podiums. :P

How about Diet Coke and mentos? Too far? ;)

No. Not too far at all. It would be a better effect than the stuff they currently use in Bahrain...

And I understand that in Britain, children can be supervised drinking small amounts of alcohol at home from the age of five. And it is often said that a nip of brandy can help a teething baby to get off to sleep at night... And I think the rules are more lax in France, as Shinji earlier alluded to!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

pi314159 wrote:

I don't exactly know the rules for other european countries, but in Germany, 16-year-olds are allowed to drink beer and wine, so he'd be allowed to drink champagne.

I'm not entirely sure about wine. It's not a soft alcoholic drink but it's defenitely not a spirit. Though in general, 16 year old people don't buy wine, and only drink it at home. Altough cheap rosé has become very popular lately. Beer is allowed in most countries, altough i have no idea about Monaco's specific laws. I suppose that in Monaco it depends on whether you're rich enough to bail you out of it. Considering Monaco is related to France and France is a wine country, the laws will not be too strict. Though in reality Max will probably just get a lame can of sticky sugary Red Bull, then gets attacked by a colony of wasps and hopefully he isn't allergic.
But let's go for soda, just to see some 7up sponsoring again!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Valtteri Bottas wrote:Perkele.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Gutting for Button - looking good for a top 10 qualifying, and as if it's going to become Jenson Button-weather, too. Let's hope he can have a run into the points tomorrow.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

And Nico is back to his Nico Coulthard form....
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Mannn I wanted a Rosberg pole, Maldonado top 5 and Ericsson in Q2. I'll take Kvyat in 5th.
tBone

Post by tBone »

I'm getting the feeling that this might be one of the weekends that Perez will perform outstandingly good. He always has a couple of those weekends in a year. Very nice qualifying result.

By the way, what happened to the Toro Rosso's in Q3? They looked better in Q1 & Q2..
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Bobby Doorknobs

So Rosberg locked up again but didn't take pole this time. What does that tell the conspiracy theorists from last year?
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Simtek wrote:So Rosberg locked up again but didn't take pole this time. What does that tell the conspiracy theorists from last year?

He's trying too hard to cover it up?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
mario

Post by mario »

tBone wrote:I'm getting the feeling that this might be one of the weekends that Perez will perform outstandingly good. He always has a couple of those weekends in a year. Very nice qualifying result.

By the way, what happened to the Toro Rosso's in Q3? They looked better in Q1 & Q2..

The track temperature was dropping slightly towards the end of the session, so it could be that they started to struggle for tyre temperature in that session.

Simtek wrote:So Rosberg locked up again but didn't take pole this time. What does that tell the conspiracy theorists from last year?

The irony is that the yellow flag caused by Rosberg's mistake did end up costing another driver a chance of a better grid slot. Based on his previous laps, Button would have been inside the top 10 if he hadn't had to lift off (losing about 0.3s in the process).

Rosberg better hope that he doesn't need either of those pairs of tyres in the race tomorrow - he's completely wrecked the right front tyre on both sets due to those lock ups.

[Edit] Looks like things have gone from bad to worse for Toro Rosso - it has been confirmed that the team missed a request for Sainz Jr to carry out a weigh in during the qualifying session, so Sainz Jr will now have to start from the pit lane. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/05/23/p ... r-penalty/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Williams hopelessly off the pace. Much more in comparison with last year.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.