The GP Rejects Livery Designing Competition

Archive for the three above subforums
tBone

The GP Rejects Livery Designing Competition

Post by tBone »

We have gotten used to the F1 Rejects Track Designing Competition. In addition, now there is another designing competition. This is the GP Rejects Livery Designing Competition.

These are the rules:

1. An entry exists of pictures showing the livery design as clearly as possible. This means as many areas of the car as possible must be visible, to visualize the car well enough to judge it.
2. A design can be made using various modding tools for games, scanned hand drawings (in colour of course), or using picture editing tools such as Paint.NET and Photoshop. Basically, everything is allowed, as long as the entry shows a realistic car similar to a post-1990 Formula One chassis.
3. Each user can enter no more than one design.
4. The winner of the last challenge will decide the next challenge and judge the entries.

Previous winners

Challenge 1 - The Minardi challenge
Bleu's Valleverde European Minardi

Challenge 2 - No main colour
Biscione's Orange Spyker

Challenge 3 - National pride
tBone's Team Belgium

Challenge 4 - The works challenge
FMecha's Mitsubishi

Challenge 5 - Military might
Biscione's RAF Red Arrows

Challenge 6 - Music to your ears
tBone's The Prodigy

Challenge 7 - Toro Rosso Originality Boost
AxelP800's Black and yellow Toro Rosso

Challenge 8 - Micronation Challenge
Ataxia's Principality of Sealand

Challenge 9 - Smoke the Competition
Nuppiz's North State

Challenge 10 - Bernie says... "think before you drive"
Ataxia's Estrella Galicia 0,0%

Challenge 11 - Supermarket Sweep
tBone's Jumbo Supermarkten

Challenge 12 - Commercial Cleanup
To be decided
Last edited by tBone on 03 Sep 2015, 15:13, edited 14 times in total.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
tBone

Re: The GP Rejects Livery Designing Competition

Post by tBone »

So, I'll kick off with the first challenge: The Minardi Tribute Challenge.

The objective is to design a livery, only using sponsors that featured at any moment on the Minardi F1 cars during Grands Prix. It doesn't matter how the sponsors were placed on the original cars, you can swap them around as much as you like.

The entries will be judged on friday 17th April.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Moved the topic to the Black Stig forum, to go alongside the track design challenge. I'll work on my entry sometime next week.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

My Minardi mixtape is this

Sponsors: Trust (2003), PSN (2000), Upex (2005), OzJet (2005), The Phone House (2005), JVC (yeah, 2005, once again...), Telefónica (1999 and 2000), Gazprom (2002 and 2003), Valleverde (mid 90s), Fondmetal (1998 and 1999) and European Aviation (2001 to 2003)

Template: Force India 2012 slightly modified to met the 2015 regulations
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
tBone

Post by tBone »

Salamander wrote:Moved the topic to the Black Stig forum, to go alongside the track design challenge. I'll work on my entry sometime next week.

Thanks! I think this is a more suitable place indeed.

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:My Minardi mixtape is this

Is it possible for you to do an upper view in addition? That way, you'll meet rule 1:
1. An entry exists of pictures showing the car from different angles. Every painted plane on the car must be visible on at least one of the pictures. For example, the rear side of the rear wing, the front wing end plates, etc, must all be visible in an entry.

If this is not possible, please let me know. I may adapt the rules if necessary.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
AdrianBelmonte_

tBone wrote:

Is it possible for you to do an upper view in addition? That way, you'll meet rule 1:
1. An entry exists of pictures showing the car from different angles. Every painted plane on the car must be visible on at least one of the pictures. For example, the rear side of the rear wing, the front wing end plates, etc, must all be visible in an entry.

If this is not possible, please let me know. I may adapt the rules if necessary.

Not possible for me, sorry :(
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
tBone

Post by tBone »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
tBone wrote:

Not possible for me, sorry :(

I'll adapt something in the first post. The more possible entries, the better!
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

The image which shows the car from above is GP2edit template. I don't remember which car I chose for sideview livery.

Sponsors: Beta, Mercatone Uno, Agip, Lois, European Aviation, Valleverde, LeasePlan.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

A note; side views only is the only realistic way to get entries. The added complications of doing another two views, for which templates are highly scarce, or a 3D model, are so time consuming there would likely be no entries at all.

Thus, my entry;

Sponsors: Superfund, SCM Group, Beta Tools, Magnum 4D, Roces, Doimo Industrie, Fondmetal
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
tBone

Post by tBone »

A little late, but here are the very first rankings of this competition!

Firstly, I have to say all the liveries look really good. They all have a "Minardi-feel" to them, without being copies of actual liveries.

Now, without further ado, the podium finishers!

3 - AdrianBelmonte_ Nice combination of colours. I was a fan of the 2000 livery, which this one reminds me of. Maybe the lines could have been a little more fluent, especially the one going from the airbox to the sidepod. But nevertheless, this would make a nice looking car.

2 - Biscione I like the fact that you really combined several elements from Minardi over the years. The disadvantage of that is that it makes the livery look a little too "crowded". Maybe if instead of the Superfund green, you would have continued the yellow/black from the sidepods, it would have looked even better. Also, a big plus for the racing number.

And the winner is...

1 - Bleu Black and yellow always makes nice looking cars. The orange on the wing-end-plates gives a nice extra accent. The lines on the sidepod and the airbox really make this livery work for me. So congratulations to you!

Also, to Biscione's note:

Biscione wrote:A note; side views only is the only realistic way to get entries. The added complications of doing another two views, for which templates are highly scarce, or a 3D model, are so time consuming there would likely be no entries at all.

I've realized this too now. I adapted the first post of this thread and I hope it is clear to all of you now. Entries containing only a side view will be accepted, but entries like screenshots from GP2 or GP3 (the latter is which I'll be using for the next challenge) are really welcome as well.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

* The main livery must not include any main colour - red, blue or yellow (using those colours on sponsor logos is allowed)
* No limits on sponsors except there shall not be conflicts in the car (eg. you can't have two tobacco companies in the car)
* Using sponsors which fit the livery will improve the chances
* If you have only sideview available, state also which sponsors you have on the front and back of rear wing
* I will announce results on April 29th
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Orange Spyker

A modern mash-up of Spyker Cars and Arrows, with a hint of EuroBrun, the iconic Orange Arrows livery is reborn in a new form, the French telecoms company and the Dutch carmarker sharing title sponsor duties. Spyker returns as the constuctor, with Cosworth power given how prevalent they were for Arrows throughout their history. Also, a small homage to the old school rejects, with Jaegermesiter sponsorship, as seen on the ER189.

Associate sponsors; how can one have an homage to Arrows on GPR without Prince Malik's infamous T-Minus brand? Also there is Dutch sponsor McGregor, PIAA and Repsol (from the same car as T-Minus), and finally both Lost Boys and JVC, who appeared on the 2006 MF1-Spyker. Lost Boys is especially notable, being the only sponsor to appear on both the Arrows and the (MF1) Spyker in reality.

Image Image
tBone

Post by tBone »

I've gone for Heineken green and white, with a touch of black and the T-Mobile pink. Images are screenshots of Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 3 (unfortunately the glitchy software graphics with less colours because hardware won't work in Virtualbox) and the template for GP3edit use.

Sponsors: Heineken, T-Mobile, Castrol, Cosworth, Acer, Beta, Trust, Michelin, Magneti Marelli, DS Catia, Ferodo and last but certainly not least, a GP Rejects logo on the nose tip.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

My attempt at a livery (Im not that good at these) paying homage to the supermarket chain ASDA. From above the nose would be green with ASDA logo on it while both wings would be black with the George clothing line on them.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Added a front wing rendering. Might do a rear wing too later.

Image Image
tBone

Post by tBone »

Biscione wrote:Added a front wing rendering. Might do a rear wing too later.

That's a nice model! How did you make it? Or perhaps, where did you find it?
YOUR
LOGO

Here
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

tBone wrote:
Biscione wrote:Added a front wing rendering. Might do a rear wing too later.

That's a nice model! How did you make it? Or perhaps, where did you find it?

I photoshopped this CAD model and gave it my own paintjob.

Image Image
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

So here's the ranking!

3. peteroli34

Bright colour which goes well with the main sponsor. Not very big amount of sponsors and I think Total doesn't fit too well.

2. tBone

Reminds me a bit of Jaguar in their F1 journey. Sponsors are good, especially the use of T-Mobile magenta. Still a bit too much of white.

1. Biscione

Orange with multiple sponsors that have orange as their colour. Major kudos for sponsors with reject relations.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Round 3: National Pride

The aim of this challenge is to make as creative and original a national-themed livery as possible. This means no rip-offs of the often boring A1GP designs, something more interesting than paint bucket and done. The sponsors will have to be nationally aligned too for best score. For example, I wouldn't expect to see Eneos on a US-themed car or Sunoco on a Japanese-themed car!

Bonus points if you pick designs elements that are closely linked to the nation in question without it actually being present on their flag.

However, you will be docked points for overly-stereotypical choices or those that border on distasteful. For example, painting a Northern Ireland themed car in orange is an instant DSQ (and quite possibly a forum ban to boot!).

The deadline for this challenge is 10th May at 23:59 BST. Have at it!

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

This is pretty much a shameless plug of my upcoming ARNC series in the ASMF section. This is the Germany livery.

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

I decided to have a go at drawing a Brazilian Livery. I doubt it's that good though. Least I tried.

http://imgur.com/jEseRz4
http://imgur.com/dwE3x2R
http://imgur.com/UY9YCTx
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Wohoo, just as I'm creating cars of Austronesia region :D

I'll enter Fiji car for this challenge

Car is Lola's Formula Nippon from 2006 to 2008
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Deadline is tomorrow! I will extend it if someone commits to a livery today and needs until midweek to finish it.

Image Image
tBone

Post by tBone »

Biscione wrote:Deadline is tomorrow! I will extend it if someone commits to a livery today and needs until midweek to finish it.

I have started something, but don't delay it for me!
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

A livery for Argentina, i don't think is that good:
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Finnish car.
tBone

Post by tBone »

Here's Belgium. The colour scheme is inspired by their cycling jerseys. It's not the best livery I've ever done I think, but I wanted to contend anyway.

Sponsors: Jupiler, Delhaize, Agfa, TVH, Proximus, Gillet, Dexia, Omega Pharma, Ablynx, Lampiris. The bargeboards have the flags of Flanders and Wallonia on them.

By the way, I edited the first post of this topic. It includes all the previous winners and I'll try to keep it up to date.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

And time is up! Let's go through the board. Six entries to choose from, a new contest record! Good stuff.

6. Normal32
Now, I try to exclude technical ability when it comes to these liveries, but...there is a line! Setting that aside, that's not even the biggest issue. This car, despite its half-bright half-dark two tone vibrancy, is still bland. A single sponsor, no racing number, no distinguishing features beyond a base coat. There's a difference between minimalism and plain, and this is on the wrong side of that line! Sorry Normal32, but more effort required in future!

5. AxelP800
This livery had potential. Light blue and white with a hint of yellow with a nice flowing stripe down the upper sidepod was a great start. It was downhill from there. A zip livery could be appropriate in the case of a nation that represents two distinct sides, but Fiji is no such nation. Why one half of the car is green I don't understand, and some of the logos are in a colour that make them really difficult to see. Also, instead of sticking to the 50/50 theme all the way down the car, both RW endplates are blue, and the upper FW plane is all green. Green aside, all the other colours arguably belong there in some form, but they haven't been co-ordinated well between them.

4, Bleu
This livery ticks the mandatory boxes. Primary flag colour is the primary car colour, the secondary flag colour is the secondary car colour. All the sponsors are regionally appropriate and even match the colour scheme correctly. It does its job just fine. However, it feels like it lacks that extra spice of imagination that would set it apart from the crowd.

3. Ataxia
From an implementation perspective, this livery is excellent. But this is just a bonus point, not a main criteria. All sponsors except ICE Watch (Belgian) match up. But McLaren-Mercedes colours are not necessarily German! This is supposed to be a national team livery, and while I acknowledge the engine badging is Mercedes-Benz, the idea was for a car that represented the entire nation, rather than simply one manufacturer of that nation. If it had been primarily white or silver it would have ranked higher.

2. TheFlyingCaterham
It may be hand drawn, but I like the concept. Brazil's A1GP team went through a bunch of different designs in its lifetime, so it would be hard to make a national livery that you couldn't at least draw some parallels to one of them - which is why I'll give you a pass there. It's different enough to be considered a new livery. It's bright, colourful, interesting and different from the norm. The Copersucar sponsorship and prominent racing number is a nice touch. Plus Amazonas sponsorship as a nod to F1 Reject Antonio Pizzonia, this scores some good bonus points.

1. tBone
This ticks every box that was asked for and does it while looking pretty good. It's original, refers to the nation's successful sporting history overall, thus incorporation an identifiable national colour that doesn't form part of the flag, and you kept it nice and neutral by incorporating an element of each of the two major regions of the country to each half of the car. I will be blunt and admit in the pure beauty stakes the Deutschland and Brasil cars trump this one, but the Belgian car fulfilled the requested criteria to the fullest, and thus walks away with the National Pride trophy!

Image Image
tBone

Post by tBone »

Wow, I wasn't expecting that!

Anyway, here's the next one: the works challenge.

The objective is to create a livery for a road car brand that hasn't been an F1 constructor. This means the following car brands are not allowed:
  • Alfa Romeo
  • Alta
  • Aston Martin
  • Bugatti
  • Caterham
  • De Tomaso
  • Ferrari
  • Frazer-Nash
  • Gordini
  • Honda
  • Jaguar
  • Lamborghini
  • Lancia
  • Ligier
  • Lotus
  • Marussia
  • Maserati
  • Matra
  • Mercedes-Benz
  • OSCA
  • Porsche
  • Renault
  • Simca
  • Spyker
  • Talbot-Lago
  • Venturi

Every other brand is allowed, both current and former automobile manufacturers, from Ford, Peugeot and Volkswagen to Ariel, Donkervoort and Wiesmann.

What will the liveries be judged on?

• Of course, how good do they look. Which colours are used, do they make the car look better?
  • Does the livery represent the brand? (motor sports history, sponsor links, etc)

The deadline will be on Sunday 24th May..
YOUR
LOGO

Here
AdrianBelmonte_

Here's mine: Seat F1 Racing

Colours: red and yellow (from the spanish flag) for the body, black on the front wing and the nose as a tribute for the Bocanegra, first car 100% made by Seat, and blue on the rear wing in a tribute to their triumphant stage (sic) on the WTCC

Sponsors: Seat (obviously), Red Bull, Repsol, Brose, Yokohama, OMP, Valeo, Advan and Borbet, all of them from the WTCC

I forgot to put a driver, but the chosen will be Tiago Monteiro
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Lada F1 Team

Inspiration for the livery was taken from the Lada WTCC team and the Russian Flag. The team run Renault powerplants as of course Lada is part owned by Renualt-Nissan
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
tBone

Post by tBone »

Good to see some nice entries, keep them coming!

Maybe slightly off-topic, but I made this challenge because I'm doing a little project, creating liveries in GP3edit for works teams. So far, I've done about 25 of them. Would anyone be interested if I showed them somewhere in the PMMF forums? Or maybe, we could make it a "creations showcase thread" or something like that?
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

tBone wrote:Good to see some nice entries, keep them coming!

Maybe slightly off-topic, but I made this challenge because I'm doing a little project, creating liveries in GP3edit for works teams. So far, I've done about 25 of them. Would anyone be interested if I showed them somewhere in the PMMF forums? Or maybe, we could make it a "creations showcase thread" or something like that?

I found this from the archive and moved it back to the main forum.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

BP Lister

Heavily based on Lister's works Storm GT programme of the late 90s/early 2000s, the main sponsor is British Petroleum, thanks to both being the same nationality and having the same colour scheme! So that matches up nicely. The base livery colour is black, as the Storm GTs were for most of their life with the factory team.

Other sponsors include Adidas (goes well with black!), Alpine, Motec and Hewland (all four were on the Storm GT at various times), and finally Olivetti, an iconic F1 sponsor who like Lister Cars, were based in Cambridge.

The nominated driver is F1 Reject Julian Bailey, who went on to be FIA GT champion at the wheel of a works Lister Storm in 2000. He drove car #14.

Image Image
tBone

Post by tBone »

Nuppiz wrote:
tBone wrote:Good to see some nice entries, keep them coming!

I found this from the archive and moved it back to the main forum.

Thanks! I'll post something there soon.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Here's my entry for Ford, largely based on the Blue Deuce Miller Lite cars Penske used to run in NASCAR, before switching to white in 2014. Penske is now the de facto factory team for Ford in NASCAR if not de jure.
Alternate sponsors include Shell, Wurth, and Avaya - other companies that sponsor Penske in NASCAR. The car is powered by a Ford EcoBoost engine (that'd be what the scrawl underneath the Ford logo on the engine cover is).

As for nominated driver... I'll go with Rubens Barrichello, who was probably the best driver across Ford's factory F1 effort of Stewart/Jaguar.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Here's my try: Mitsubishi RalliArt (based on the 1997 WRC livery, aka the GT4 Super Rally Car one)

This is actually for my personal GP2 carset, which also includes Team Mecha and Takagi Racing Enterprises, plus an Audi and GT Academy team! But that's for later. :)

Sponsors: Mitsubishi Oil, Ralliart, PIAA, Enkei, OMP (I kinda stuck to using small fonts in Paint...)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
tBone

Post by tBone »

The deadline is next Sunday, so you have only one weekend left to submit your entries!
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

After its first seven-year-stint in was mostly a failure, Peugeot will be back in F1. This time they will build the car as well as bring engines.