The 2015 Launch Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
tBone

Re: The 2015 Launch Thread

Post by tBone »

Ataxia wrote:Apparently, Red Bull will be testing in Jerez with a black and white camouflage livery. It seems the best way to hide something is to draw a lot of attention to the fact you're trying to conceal it...

They do. I have to say, I like this livery better than their last seasons'. I suppose it will create some Moiré patterns on tv, though...

Also, the W06 might be the first car since the 2009 rule changes that looks good in my opinion.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
mario

Post by mario »

Captain Hammer wrote:Massive airbox and tiny sidepods make for an interesting combination.

The speculation is that Toro Rosso have redesigned their oil cooling systems so, instead of being housed in the sidepods, they have moved them towards the centre line of the car. That, in turn, seems to explain why they have increased the size of the secondary cooling intakes and why the airbox area has become more swollen than in the past.

Mind you, it sounds as if things are getting a little hot under the collar for Red Bull - there are reports that Ricciardo has stopped out on track with signs of flames coming from the car.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

tBone wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Apparently, Red Bull will be testing in Jerez with a black and white camouflage livery. It seems the best way to hide something is to draw a lot of attention to the fact you're trying to conceal it...

They do. I have to say, I like this livery better than their last seasons'. I suppose it will create some Moiré patterns on tv, though...

Also, the W06 might be the first car since the 2009 rule changes that looks good in my opinion.

That livery is definitely a keeper for Red Bull!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Press_Play2002

Post by Press_Play2002 »

Well, if it smells like a Deer and looks like a Deer then the Deer takes no notice.
tumblr: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/n0tab0x1871 TARTZ: http://truefalse1989.deviantart.com/
"I think Press_Play2002 is on a downward spiral and has lost it completely"
~Mark WebberNot a real quote by the way
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Supposedly, the headache-inducing paintjob makes it difficult to study design intricacies whilst the car is moving. Or something. Sounds like bollocks to me.
Just For One Day...
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Hats off to RBR for doing things differently: o launch and a fresh, conceptual livery. This is mildly exciting, to put it mildly. And I haven't really been excited about anything in F1 in over a year.

And now, I'll shut up again, having my next attempt at forum retirement.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

CoopsII wrote:

Supposedly, the headache-inducing paintjob makes it difficult to study design intricacies whilst the car is moving. Or something. Sounds like bollocks to me.

Exactly it is essentially making it harder for other teams to study the car. Its the same principle behind the dazzle camouflage used by ships during the war, breaking up the outline of the ship so U-boats couldn't work out the ships heading, speed or range making a hit from a torpedo less likely.

if you compare the picture of both RedBull and Ferrari below it is a lot harder to pick up the design details from the Redbull then it is from the Ferrari and the problems bound to be worse if the car is moving

Waris

Post by Waris »

I'm not too convinced the "camouflage" livery actually hides the car's shape that well. I can make out most of the features in that picture. Then again, perhaps they did it to cover up the fact that they're using last year's car with a new nose? :D
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Waris wrote:I'm not too convinced the "camouflage" livery actually hides the car's shape that well. I can make out most of the features in that picture. Then again, perhaps they did it to cover up the fact that they're using last year's car with a new nose? :D

Aha! That's what they want you to think! The camouflage works so well it fools you into thinking it's actually just the old car!
#FreeGonzo
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

AustralianStig wrote:Adam Cooper is speculating that McLaren may be doing a 'placeholder' livery, and the actual new colours will be launched in Australia.

We can only hope.

Bring back red and white. Bring back orange. Heck, run a pink car for papa smurf!

Just, stop being so middle of the road.

Good news!

McLaren will won't might have will have a new livery! http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117544
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Waris wrote:I'm not too convinced the "camouflage" livery actually hides the car's shape that well. I can make out most of the features in that picture. Then again, perhaps they did it to cover up the fact that they're using last year's car with a new nose? :D

Hm, it does work into hiding the measurements of components, but it doesn't hide the shape of those components.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

AustralianStig wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:Adam Cooper is speculating that McLaren may be doing a 'placeholder' livery, and the actual new colours will be launched in Australia.

We can only hope.

Bring back red and white. Bring back orange. Heck, run a pink car for papa smurf!

Good news!

McLaren will won't might have will have a new livery! http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117544

Because that's what McLaren can do better than anyone else these days: procure sponsors.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Bobby Doorknobs

AustralianStig wrote:

We can only hope.

Good news!

Ron Dennis wrote:We have had the same [discussions about livery] inside the team: all of these people were saying, why don't we make it orange - because that was the old colour of McLaren? Well, I say, 'you just said it - it was the old colour of McLaren. Why the hell do we want to go backwards? So what do you do? Do you create an aesthetically pleasing design? But for what purpose? This is the livery of McLaren. It has always been a combination of these colours - and it will only change for commercial reasons. It won't change just to make a few people in the company happier because they want it orange or they want it yellow.

Well Ron, what would Bruce want? As much as I respect him for turning the team around in the early eighties does he not realise that the team did exist before he took over? "It has always been a combination of these colours". No, it hasn't. Even after he took over, white was quite prominent on the car up to 1996. And I fail to see how changing it to orange would tarnish the team's identity, if that's what he's trying to say. At the moment it's so... sterile. Orange could only be an improvement.
#FreeGonzo
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Actually, McLaren started out with 'white with a dark green stripe' so that argument is ridiculous.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bobby Doorknobs

This wrote:Actually, McLaren started out with 'white with a dark green stripe' so that argument is ridiculous.

The only reason it was white though was because the McLaren cars were used to represent the Yamura team in John Frankenheimer's "Grand Prix".
#FreeGonzo
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

Some reports coming in that the situation at Force India is worsening - http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/force ... er-report/

I've heard through the grapevine that apparently the team is about to be put up for sale, cynical thinking or do other people have a genuine concern for Force India as well? :/
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Hats off to the good folk at Enstone, the Lotus E23 is a living, breathing thing. The Reverend has just taken the car onto the track.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

JJMonty wrote:Some reports coming in that the situation at Force India is worsening - http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/force ... er-report/

I've heard through the grapevine that apparently the team is about to be put up for sale, cynical thinking or do other people have a genuine concern for Force India as well? :/

The quoted journalist, Ralf Bach, has a reputation for publishing rubbish.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Bobby Doorknobs

Oh dear. Things aren't looking good at all for Force India.
#FreeGonzo
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Simtek wrote:Oh dear. Things aren't looking good at all for Force India.

Looks like my concern and gut feeling weren't that wrong. Force India are indeed in trouble. Let's not forget that they supposedly preferred more development time instead of testing in Jerez and now it is production to blame because of suppliers. Two totally unrelated excuses. While I want to believe that this is just cash flow problems, I fear that the financial trouble involving their bosses is catching up with the team... :(
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
KL-racer

Post by KL-racer »

Well, we are down to 9 teams already, and the last thing I want is yet another team falling into oblivion. If that rumor could be proven before the season starts, we may be looking at a 16-car grid come Melbourne. Honestly, even since Marussia and Caterham fell into the grave, in the back of my mind I felt that Force India and/or Sauber to be the next victims to this crisis. However, Sauber looks set for 2015, if they can score at least a few points to help their own cause out. But then again, pre-season testing usually means nothing until Q1 starts at Melbourne.
Now posted to PMMF . . . F1 management 2011!

After yet another long intermission . . . I finally posted round 8. What will happen in the second half? Stay Tuned
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

KL-racer wrote:

Well, we are down to 9 teams already, and the last thing I want is yet another team falling into oblivion. If that rumor could be proven before the season starts, we may be looking at a 16-car grid come Melbourne. Honestly, even since Marussia and Caterham fell into the grave, in the back of my mind I felt that Force India and/or Sauber to be the next victims to this crisis. However, Sauber looks set for 2015, if they can score at least a few points to help their own cause out. But then again, pre-season testing usually means nothing until Q1 starts at Melbourne.

I'm still very positive about Force India being on the grid this year. Remember they pushed hard late in the season to try and steal 5th in the WCC from McLaren, so it's only natural that their 2015 development is behind schedule. I'm sure they'll be on track in Melbourne...but whether they have any pace may be another matter with so little time to develop their car.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I wouldn't read too much into it. 2014-2015 has had one of the tightest turn-arounds in the sport's history. A delay from someone high up in the supply change could cause significant delays later on.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Captain Hammer wrote:I wouldn't read too much into it. 2014-2015 has had one of the tightest turn-arounds in the sport's history. A delay from someone high up in the supply change could cause significant delays later on.

This is what I call complete denial. They could very well stayed on developing the car instead of testing at Jerez and coincidently have major troubles with their supplies for which none was their fault but this is a professional sport and therefore I don't believe in these kind of coincidences. F1 teams deals with supplies are usually made to prevent them from having these sort of troubles. Along as they pay, of course...
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Not sure where to post it, but McLaren has shown the car in Tokyo as well...

Taki's comments are:
McLaren Honda launch in Tokyo. Oh dear... No title sponsor. Where can they squeeze the racing budget for this year?

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Shizuka wrote:Not sure where to post it, but McLaren has shown the car in Tokyo as well...

Taki's comments are:
McLaren Honda launch in Tokyo. Oh dear... No title sponsor. Where can they squeeze the racing budget for this year?

Dat Arial font on the presentation.

CoopsII wrote:

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

AustralianStig wrote:
Shizuka wrote:Not sure where to post it, but McLaren has shown the car in Tokyo as well...

Taki's comments are:

Dat Arial font on the presentation.

They even have a presentable font directly on the left.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
razta

Post by razta »

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Could have been worse. The medical car could have been the utterly gopping C-class that looks like it's melted.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
razta

Post by razta »

dinizintheoven wrote:Could have been worse. The medical car could have been the utterly gopping C-class that looks like it's melted.

well, technically it IS the C-Class but the AMG version
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

razta wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:Could have been worse. The medical car could have been the utterly gopping C-class that looks like it's melted.

well, technically it IS the C-Class but the AMG version

I imagine that the first version looked amazing. Unfortunately their decision to let a road roller "rearrange" its back end ruined it for me.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

...ye gods, it is. I thought it was an E-class there. Still, it's understandable, because my instant reaction when I see a 2014 C-class is to look the other way.

Merc's design direction has gone horribly, horribly awry these last couple of years. Every time I see the headlights I am immediately reminded of this:

I am told they're called "Scouse eyebrows" (and if I was from Liverpool I'd be screaming blue murder). Every new Merc is developing this extra wad over the top of the headlights that traces the shape of those eyebrows - flaring out to an axe-head in the middle. The C-class is foul at both ends, the E escapes slightly but looks like it's wearing Dame Edna's glasses when the lights are on, even the sacrosanct S-class has been ruined... but the worst offender is the facelifted Sprinter van.

Hideous! HIDEOUS! What has happened? Has Chris Bangle been appointed at Merc design HQ? Is he trying to wreck everything and ruin their lives the way he did at BMW... and will Audi be next?

Aside from the 36-year-old G-Wagen, the only car the stylists haven't ruined is the SLK. At least Britney won't have any complaints when this year's company car arrives...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dinizintheoven wrote:...ye gods, it is. I thought it was an E-class there. Still, it's understandable, because my instant reaction when I see a 2014 C-class is to look the other way.

Merc's design direction has gone horribly, horribly awry these last couple of years. Every time I see the headlights I am immediately reminded of this:

[img]image[/img]

I am told they're called "Scouse eyebrows" (and if I was from Liverpool I'd be screaming blue murder). Every new Merc is developing this extra wad over the top of the headlights that traces the shape of those eyebrows - flaring out to an axe-head in the middle. The C-class is foul at both ends, the E escapes slightly but looks like it's wearing Dame Edna's glasses when the lights are on, even the sacrosanct S-class has been ruined... but the worst offender is the facelifted Sprinter van.

Coming from an usually hairier Southern Europe country I see nothing wrong with Mercedes eyebrows. Nor with those from that lady.