Alt-1955 - Prize money awarded!

In honour of our fallen comrade. Archive of all previous canon series across all disciplines.
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: Alt-1955 - Soviet qualifying up!

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

This wrote:Wouldn't it be great if Trabant would buy a Cooper T41 last minute and be allowed to start the race? Offering De Filippis to drive, because she is female and the DDR is a very feminist country? *puppy eyes* (obviously just a stock Trabant engine, which will blow the minute the cars starts)

The Trabi won't be around for another two years :P Though that's given me the idea to enter VEB Sachsenring (the manufacturer of the Trabi) for next year's East German Grand Prix (it's pretty much guaranteed to make the calendar now). Nobody steal my idea!
#FreeGonzo
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Because i expected Tommy to accept this brilliant idea and i am terribly dissapointed and will now show my rage to the forum. *squeek*

But i am dead serious about the rest. It's a promising deal, so any team with an eye for good business would want to be part of it! The very promising results justify this claim. It totally takes me by surprise that some customers wanted to get rid of it already, despite the obvious signs that this was the right thing to do. No, this is not a scam, because taking into account all circumstances, Cooper has done an impressive job.

Also, our jag engine is up for sale for 6000.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

B.C.M.A. will swap out Umberto Maglioli for Tony Brooks for the Soviet Grand Prix.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Alfa Romeo wrote:What is this swapping drivers nonsense? We will protest this as it is the combination of driver and car that is registered as an entry. One cannot swap entries midway through the weekend, never could, so if one entry has not qualified, it has not qualified, end of story. Nevertheless, Alfa Romeo would not oppose to a special dispensation for the aggrieved drivers to allow them to race despite setting no qualifying times.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Alfa Romeo wrote:What is this swapping drivers nonsense? We will protest this as it is the combination of driver and car that is registered as an entry. One cannot swap entries midway through the weekend, never could, so if one entry has not qualified, it has not qualified, end of story. Nevertheless, Alfa Romeo would not oppose to a special dispensation for the aggrieved drivers to allow them to race despite setting no qualifying times.

Simone Bizzarri wrote:Forget about Renzo ever dealing with Alfa ever again. This protest is a great insult to us and our team. You decide that our lead driver should not be able to race on our behalf? You did not protest ENB doing the same thing at Spa-Francorchamps. You pick and choose when things suit you. Alfa Romeo is a disgrace. I would rather scrap my new Alfa equipment out of spite than see it race again. Your time as a successful team is finished. We earned 7 of your 17 constructors points! You'd be way out of the title fight without us. Good luck suriving solo, you will need it.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

The Soviet organisers' decision is final in the cars which will not participate in the race. However, the organisers make the distinction between cars and drivers, as have all previous race organisers. It has always been a possibility to substitute a driver who failed to qualify for one who made the grid, as long as the car that was qualified is used. Granted, this possibility has almost never been used or referred to, but it always existed.

-Louis Chiron qualified the number 24 Lancia, which will be driven in the race by Hernando da Silva Ramos.
-Umberto Maglioli qualified the number 27 B.C.M.A., which will be driven in the race by Tony Brooks.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Biscione wrote:

Simone Bizzarri wrote:Forget about Renzo ever dealing with Alfa ever again. This protest is a great insult to us and our team. You decide that our lead driver should not be able to race on our behalf? You did not protest ENB doing the same thing at Spa-Francorchamps. You pick and choose when things suit you. Alfa Romeo is a disgrace. I would rather scrap my new Alfa equipment out of spite than see it race again. Your time as a successful team is finished. We earned 7 of your 17 constructors points! You'd be way out of the title fight without us. Good luck suriving solo, you will need it.

Alfa Romeo wrote:We missed ENB swap until it was too late. But if you had read the whole comment you had seen that we actually wanted for everybody to race allowing you to have both your drivers on the race. Now thanks to that idiotic reaction we will be sure to end our dealings with you the moment you scrap the equipament. Contrary to you, we respect our contracts. Goodbye.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Alfa Romeo wrote:We missed ENB swap until it was too late. But if you had read the whole comment you had seen that we actually wanted for everybody to race allowing you to have both your drivers on the race. Now thanks to that idiotic reaction we will be sure to end our dealings with you the moment you scrap the equipament. Contrary to you, we respect our contracts. Goodbye.

Simone Bizzarri wrote:You missed the ENB swap? I prefer to be working with people who are not sleeping on the job. Pretty soon you will be sleeping with the fishes rather than on your desk.

Image Image
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Jacques Swaters wrote:What ENB swap?

André Pilette wrote:You know, when i gave my grid position to Johnny for his final race, because of his health problems?

Jacques Swaters wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about! Why aren't i informed of these things!

Johnny Claes wrote:I can still race! I'll die behind the wheel if i have to!

Jacques Swaters wrote:In theT40?

Johnny Claes wrote:Nevermind.

Lucian Bianchi wrote:What have i gotten myself into :facepalm:
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Biscione wrote:
Simone Bizzarri wrote:You missed the ENB swap? I prefer to be working with people who are not sleeping on the job. Pretty soon you will be sleeping with the fishes rather than on your desk.

Alfa Romeo wrote:What a lame excuse to terminate our contract before time. Do you really expect us to believe that you would keep dealing with us after buying Ferrari? Hilarious! We wish you best of luck in your endeavors and may the best team win. And stop making empty threats. It's pathetic.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

And here are the race performance figures.

Trintignant 41
Ruttman 32
Brabham 24
Lewis-Evans 24
Vlcek 21
Behra 17
Bettenhausen 11
Kuznetzov 11
Farina 11
Godia 7
Manzon 6
Brooks 6
Moss 4
Gaze 3
Serafini 2
Uria 2
Loyer 2
Collins 1
von Trips 1
Whitehead -3
Metelev -5
Baranov -5
Parnell -5
Sanesi -5
Ecclestone -7
Ramos -8
Fitzau -11
de Graffenried -14
Musso -15
de Portago -16
Schell -19
Rubirosa -21

There will be 14 retirements, of which four will be engine failures and one will be a category 1 accident.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

August 21st 1955, Soviet Grand Prix

Brabham and Collins got the best start of the frontrunners, and Brabham led the first lap. The drivers at the back were racing to get past the much slower Soviet, Czech and French cars. Meanwhile, Bettenhausen slowly picked his way up to second place by lap 3, although he was soon bumped down to fourth again, then fifth behind teammate Maurice Trintignant. Further back, while almost all the unlucky rear starters had cleared the Eastern cars, Ramos and Ecclestone tangled. Ecclestone's car was relatively undamaged, but Ramos had a more substantial accident, colliding with a lightly attached signpost. Both drivers were uninjured and started to argue. After all, Ramos was driving for Ecclestone not so long ago...

On lap 8, Gaze tapped himself out on the front stretch trying to defend against Tony Brooks, and was promptly followed on the sidelines by Troy Ruttman (engine failure) and Alfonso de Portago (clutch failure). Collins had taken the lead on lap 2 and was building a modest lead at this point, while Trintignant and Bettenhausen were fighting for third with Godia. Then, the race was stopped and all hell broke loose.

The teams were told that the damaged cars had to be cleared from the circuit. The drivers lined up on the grid once more in their race positions, and some team bosses started making decisions. At Ferrari, Parnell was told to leave his car due to technical difficulties, but rather than fixing his car, the mechanics quickly smuggled Troy Ruttman into the car! Over at Renzo, Simone Bizzarri wanted to put Ramos in de Graffenried's car, but the Brazilian hadn't yet returned to the pits!

Mechanics were sent either side of the track to look for him and bring him back. As the 27 remaining cars lined up again, Ramos was still nowhere to be seen, and de Graffenried was preparing himself to jump back into car number 6 when Ramos was spotted running back. Having been briefed by the mechanic who reached him first, he immediately jumped into the Alfa and fired it up. With 31 laps remaining, the drivers set off once more, minus Parnell and de Graffenried, plus Ruttman and Ramos.

Brabham led the restart from Collins and Godia. Collins soon dropped to third behind Godia. Manzon was now fourth, ahead of Trintignant and Serafini. Rubirosa's race was soon ended by an oil leak, while von Trips' gearbox expired, ending his very first race. And then, controversy intensified as Trintignant and Collins tangled for third. Maurice continued. Collins was sent into an earth bank. The Brit was uninjured, but very angry... Musso also retired on the next lap, with an engine failure. This left 23 cars still running. Then, 22 when Lewis-Evans nerfed Behra out of the race.

With the wrecks piling up, it was a matter of time before the organisers red flagged the race once more, which they did at the end of lap 22. 22 cars remained, and Brabham's substantial lead was reduced to nothing. This time, no drivers were switched. Brabham would start the last 19 laps from the front row, alongside Godia and Trintignant, with Manzon and Serafini behind them.

Godia led the first lap after the restart, but Trintignant then took the lead. Schell was the race's 11th retirement with a gearbox failure on lap 24. Tony Bettenhausen promptly span off, as he usually does this year. Brabham then took the lead, meaning Trintignant held it for just one lap. Nothing overly interesting happened for a while. Ramos retired again, with suspension failure, then Uria with gearbox trouble. Then finally, with 6 laps remaining, the race was stopped again. And Ferrari changed again.

Troy Ruttman had not successfully cleared the Russians or the Czech, and Ramos had just pulled into the pits. He was "politely asked" to take the seat in the Ferrari once the cars had lined up. Ruttman, having done the same to Parnell, "calmly accepted" his team's instructions, and come the restart, 18 cars were left running. Brabham, Trintignant and Godia would lead them, with Manzon and Whitehead on row 2.

They started for the fourth time, headed into the woods, and after three tense minutes, Trintignant appeared again, in the lead, with Peter Whitehead right behind him, followed by Godia, Manzon and Brabham. By the next lap, Trintignant had dropped the others behind him, while Brabham had moved back to second, ahead of Godia, Whitehead, Serafini, and the extremely surprising Stuart Lewis-Evans. Manzon had retired with fuel pump issues. The last few laps were simply exhilarating stuff.

Trintignant pulled away somewhat, enough not get into fights, but he was still vulnerable. However, the best fights were for second and seventh. Then, the race took a turn for the pitiful, as both Godia and Brabham got far too enthusiastic going into the final corner with two laps left and beached their cars in the escape road, coming to blows with each other. This left Whitehead in second, with Serafini and Brooks right behind, while Farina (who had started last) was attempted to hold back the combined forces of Stuart Lewis-Evans, Stirling Moss, Roger Loyer, Hernando da Silva Ramos (in his third car of the day) and Consalvo Sanesi.

Trintignant managed to hold on to his second career victory, while Brooks managed to skilfully thread his way into second place and the championship lead with one race remaining. Whitehead scored yet another podium without a race win, with Serafini settling for fourth in the Ferrari. Farina held on to fifth place, while Lewis-Evans scored the single final point in his very first Grand Prix start. For eleventh place, the Eastern cars fought hard, and it was Metelev who beat Vlcek, Kuznetzov, Fitzau and Baranov. Fitzau, however, had occasionally been a total hero, running as high as 15th when about 24 cars still remained.

1. Maurice Trintignant (Aston Martin-Jaguar) - 3:16:40.12
2. Tony Brooks (B.C.M.A.) +1.56
3. Peter Whitehead (Bentley-O.S.C.A.) +2.52
4. Dorino Serafini (Ferrari) +6.24
5. Giuseppe Farina (Alfa Romeo) +16.56
6. Stuart Lewis-Evans (Mercedes-Bentley) +16.68
7. Stirling Moss (O.S.C.A.) +16.80
8. Roger Loyer (Loyer-Porsche) +16.92
9. Reg Parnell/Troy Ruttman/Hernando da Silva Ramos (Ferrari) +17.04
10. Consalvo Sanesi (Gordini) +17.16
11. Mikhail Metelev (JK Mono-Tatra) +45.70
12. Jaroslav Vlcek (JK Mono-Tatra) +45.82
13. Vasiliy Kuznetzov (GAZ) +45.94
14. Theo Fitzau (Guidobaldi-Mercedes) +46.06
15. Pavel Baranov (Kharkov) +46.18
Ret. Jack Brabham (Alfa Romeo) +3 laps/Collision
Ret. Paco Godia (Ferrari) +3 laps/Collision
Ret. Robert Manzon (Gordini) +5 laps/Fuel pump
Ret. Alberto Uria (Ambrosiana-Alfa Romeo) +10 laps/Gearbox
Ret. Toulo de Graffenried/Hernando da Silva Ramos (Alfa Romeo) +11 laps/Suspension
Ret. Tony Bettenhausen (Aston Martin-Jaguar) +17 laps/Spin
Ret. Harry Schell (Bentley) +18 laps/Gearbox
Ret. Jean Behra (Porsche) +25 laps/Collision
Ret. Luigi Musso (Ambrosiana-Alfa Romeo) +27 laps/Engine
Ret. Peter Collins (B.C.M.A.) +28 laps/Collision
Ret. Porfirio Rubirosa (Gordini) +29 laps/Oil leak
Ret. Wolfgang von Trips (Phoenix-O.S.C.A.) +29 laps/Gearbox
Ret. Tony Gaze (Alfa Romeo) +34 laps/Collision
Ret. Troy Ruttman (Ferrari) +34 laps/Engine
Ret. Alfonso de Portago (Loyer-Porsche) +34 laps/Clutch
Ret. Bernie Ecclestone (Mercedes-Bentley) +37 laps/Collision
Ret. Hernando da Silva Ramos (Lancia) +37 laps/Collision

Fastest lap: Tony Brooks (B.C.M.A.) - 3:03.15

Championship standings
Drivers

1. Tony Brooks - 16
2. Alberto Ascari - 13
3. Peter Collins - 12
4. Maurice Trintignant - 10 (1 win, 1 6th, 1 7th)
5. Robert Manzon - 10 (1 win, 1 6th, 4 Rets)
6. Desmond Titterington - 10 (1 2nd, 1 3rd)
7. Consalvo Sanesi - 10 (1 2nd, 2 5ths)
8. Jack Brabham - 9 (1 win, 1 8th)
9. Dries van der Lof - 9 (1 win, 3 Rets)
10. Dorino Serafini - 7
11. José Froilan Gonzalez - 6 (1 2nd, 1 7th)
12. David Hampshire - 6 (1 2nd, 4 DNQs)
13. Giuseppe Farina - 6 (1 4th)
14. Peter Whitehead - 5
15. Stirling Moss - 4 (1 3rd)
16. Porfirio Rubirosa - 4 (2 5ths)
17. Hernando da Silva Ramos - 3 (1 4th, 1 7th)
18. Mike Hawthorn - 3 (1 4th, 1 13th)
19. Maria Teresa de Filippis - 3 (1 4th, 2 Rets)
20. Umberto Maglioli - 2
21. Tony Gaze - 1 (1 6th, 5 Rets)
22. Stuart Lewis-Evans - 1 (1 6th, 1 DNPQ)

Constructors
1. B.C.M.A. - 24
2. Gordini - 21
3. Alfa Romeo - 19
4. Aston Martin-Jaguar - 18
5. Phoenix-O.S.C.A. - 13
6. Lancia - 10
7. Bentley-O.S.C.A. - 9
8. O.S.C.A.-Bentley - 6 (1 2nd, 1 7th, 1 11th)
9. Bentley - 6 (1 2nd, 1 7th, 3 Rets)
10. O.S.C.A. - 3 (1 4th, 1 7th)
11. Ferrari - 3 (1 4th, 1 9th)
12. Vanwall - 3 (1 4th, 1 13th)
13. Mercedes-Bentley - 1

Entrants
1. British Commonwealth Motorsport Association - 24
2. Alexander Racing Team - 21
3. Jaguar - Aston Martin Racing - 18
4. Phoenix Racing Organisation - 13
5. Alfa Romeo SpA - 12
6. Scuderia Anglo-Italia - 11
7. Irish Racing Association - 10
8. Officine Renzo - 7
9. Hampshire Racing Alliance - 6
10. Maria Teresa de Filippis - 3 (1 4th, 1 7th)
11. Scuderia Ferrari - 3 (1 4th, 1 9th)
12. Vanwall - 3 (1 4th, 1 13th)
13. Bernie C. Ecclestone - 1

As I'm in the process of moving back home, the post-race report will have to wait until next week.

novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Alt-1955 - Soviet Grand Prix up (and it's a good one)!

Post by novitopoli »

Just one word sums the whole thing up: wow! :shock:
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
Bobby Doorknobs

Irish Independent wrote:Irish Racing Association bosses attack Soviet GP "fix"

Cathal Byrne and Arthur Doyle, the two business partners who run the Irish Racing Association, or "IRA" Grand Prix team were at first confused when the red flag was shown in the qualifying session for the Soviet Grand Prix on Tallinn's Pirita-Kose-Kloostrimetsa Circuit, the first international racing event on the Estonian course since before the Emergency and the country's illegal annexation by the Stalinist regime. Theo Fitzau, the East German Guidobaldi driver had just set his time when the red flag came out. A tree had apparently fallen on the far side of the circuit. IRA drivers Desmond Titterington and Reg Armstrong had yet to take to the track in their dark green Lancia D50s and hence did not set any lap times. The qualifying session was not to be resumed with five grid slots yet to be determined. These were decided by the archaic ballot system that was once used to decide grid positions in international Grand Prix events up until the 1930s, but had since fallen out of favour. Neither Titterington's nor Armstrong's names were among these five. They had officially failed to qualify for the event. "It's obviously a fix", said Byrne. "Otherwise, I find it quite convenient that the tree only fell after all the Eastern European drivers had set their lap times and out of sight of any spectators. If you ask me they deliberately stopped the session after realising how hopelessly slow those lads were, and wanted to keep them on the grid!"

The IRA team have also announced a public appeal to the Commision Sportive Internationale (CSI) to have the Soviet Grand Prix stripped of its World Championship status. "The level of bias shown by the organisers is inexcusable", Byrne said. "We hope that the appropriate authorities in Paris will make the right decision and not award any points for this event, to show these people that they can't tamper with the rules to let their own lads onto the grid when they've clearly shown they aren't quick enough. I find it deeply ironic that a country that's run under a political system where everyone is supposedly equal would exercise such blatant favouritism at the expense of regular competitors." The race was eventually won after multiple stoppages by Frenchman Maurice Trintignant of the Jaguar-Aston Martin Racing team. Tony Brooks of the British Commonwealth Motorsport Association provisionally took the championship lead by finishing second. IRA's Titterington lies six points behind with one round, the Italian Grand Prix on the famous Monza circuit, left to run.
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I might have taken a bit longer to do this than I planned...

Post-race report
Injuries
Nope.

Repair costs
Brabham's chassis (AR161 chassis 1) - £5 632
Godia's chassis (555 chassis 5) - £1 301
Bettenhausen's chassis (AM-04 chassis 11) - £3 627
Behra's chassis (855 chassis 2) - £9 321
Musso's engine (ARV8 engine 5) - £512
Collins' chassis (C-01 chassis 1) - £10 649
Gaze's chassis (AR161 chassis 8) - £4 395
Ruttman's engine (555 engine 6) - £71
Ecclestone's chassis (WM-2 chassis 2) - £3 393
Ramos' chassis (D50 chassis 2) - £12 161

Prize money - distance
Maurice Trintignant - £2 000
Tony Brooks - £2 000
Peter Whitehead - £2 000
Dorino Serafini - £2 000
Giuseppe Farina - £2 000
Stuart Lewis-Evans - £2 000
Stirling Moss - £2 000
Roger Loyer - £2 000
Reg Parnell/Troy Ruttman/Hernando da Silva Ramos - £2 000
Consalvo Sanesi - £2 000
Mikhail Metelev - £2 000
Jaroslav Vlcek - £2 000
Vasiliy Kuznetzov - £2 000
Theo Fitzau - £2 000
Pavel Baranov - £2 000
Jack Brabham - £1 927
Paco Godia - £1 927
Robert Manzon - £1 878
Alberto Uria - £1 756
Toulo de Graffenried/Hernando da Silva Ramos - £1 732
Tony Bettenhausen - £1 585
Harry Schell - £1 561
Jean Behra - £1 390
Luigi Musso - £1 341
Peter Collins - £1 317
Porfirio Rubirosa - £1 293
Wolfgang von Trips - £1 293
Tony Gaze - £1 171
Troy Ruttman - £1 171
Alfonso de Portago - £1 171
Bernie Ecclestone - £1 098
Hernando da Silva Ramos - £1 098
José Froilan Gonzalez - £500
Tony Brooks - £500
Geoff Duke - £500
Spider Webb - £500
Reg Armstrong - £500
Eugenio Castellotti - £500
Hernando da Silva Ramos - £500
Stan Jones - £500
Desmond Titterington - £500
Maria Teresa de Filippis - £500

Prize money - position
Maurice Trintignant - £26 000
Tony Brooks - £22 750
Peter Whitehead - £16 500
Dorino Serafini - £11 750
Giuseppe Farina - £9 000
Stuart Lewis-Evans - £6 250
Stirling Moss - £5 500
Roger Loyer - £4 750
Reg Parnell/Troy Ruttman/Hernando da Silva Ramos - £4 000
Consalvo Sanesi - £3 250
Jack Brabham - £2 750
Mikhail Metelev - £2 500
Jaroslav Vlcek - £2 250
Vasiliy Kuznetzov - £2 000
Theo Fitzau - £1 750
Pavel Baranov - £1 500
Paco Godia - £1 000
Robert Manzon - £750
Alberto Uria - £500
Toulo de Graffenried/Hernando da Silva Ramos - £250

Budgets have been updated.

Scuderia Ambrosiana are now officially bankrupt.

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Alfa Romeo to repair both chassis.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Right then, let's get down to business. This is going to get complicated.

First of all, we'll fix all the damaged Ferrari equipment from the Soviet GP.

Now, leading up to the season finale in Monza, we did several deals that will see our former equipment returned from customers to Ferrari's possession. Adding these to our roster, and given the points standings in the World Championship, Ferrari will revise its entries to the Italian GP as so;

Equipment In:
Jaguar > Ecurie Voeckler (loan, Italian GP only)
Jaguar JFE-2 engine 12
Price: £0

Escuderia Hernandez > Scuderia Ferrari
Ferrari 555 chassis 8
Ferrari 555 engine 1
Price: £0

Reatherson > Scuderia Ferrari
Ferrari 555 chassis 7
Price: £1000

Italian GP Entries, Scuderia Ferrari
Dorino Serafini - Chassis 5 & Engine 2
Paco Godia - Chassis 7 & Engine 5
Troy Ruttman - Chassis 8 & Engine 1
Ottorino Volonterio - Chassis 6 & Engine 6
Philippe Étancelin - Chassis 1 & Engine 7
Guido Meregalli - Chassis 12 & Engine 13

Image Image
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

B.C.M.A. will repair Peter Collins' chassis in time for the Italian GP.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

JAMR will repair Bettenhausen's car in time for Italy
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Okay, I think the poll has been open for long enough. Here are the ten tracks that will make up the 1956 calendar, in no particular order:

Monaco
Silverstone
Nürburgring
Spa-Francorchamps
Wicklow
Monza
Rouen
Rostock
Edinburgh
Bangkok

Now, they must be put in order. For this, I'll run a series of polls (see the top of the thread) to determine which circuit fills which position. Each poll will be open for one day, so make sure to get your votes in. Obviously, I'll start with the season-opener, so make sure you vote in the poll at the top of the page.

Bobby Doorknobs

tommykl wrote:Okay, I think the poll has been open for long enough. Here are the ten tracks that will make up the 1956 calendar, in no particular order:

Monaco
Silverstone
Nürburgring
Spa-Francorchamps
Wicklow
Monza
Rouen
Rostock
Edinburgh
Bangkok

Now, they must be put in order. For this, I'll run a series of polls (see the top of the thread) to determine which circuit fills which position. Each poll will be open for one day, so make sure to get your votes in. Obviously, I'll start with the season-opener, so make sure you vote in the poll at the top of the page.

It's not letting me vote, but I'd like Monaco to be the curtain-raiser.

EDIT: Never mind, it seems to have been fixed as I wrote this :P
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Re: Alt-1955 - Vote for the 1956 calendar order!

Post by tommykl »

With 60% of the votes, Monaco will hold the first round of the season for the sixth time. Now, time to vote for race 2 from the remaining nine circuits.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I didn't post it, but Rouen is confirmed as round 2, and the voting for round 3 goes until this evening.

1. Monaco (Monaco Grand Prix)
2. Rouen-les-Essarts (French Grand Prix)

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Monaco > Rouen > Spa > Silverstone > Edinburgh > Wicklow > Bangkok > Rostock > Nurburgring > Monza

Pls.

Image Image
Bobby Doorknobs

Biscione wrote:Monaco > Rouen > Spa > Silverstone > Edinburgh > Wicklow > Bangkok > Rostock > Nurburgring > Monza

Pls.

If I'm reading this correctly it would put Bangkok in the middle of the monsoon season. I'm not sure I want to take that risk...
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Round 3 is over, and round 4 of voting has begun.

3. Spa-Francorchamps (Belgian Grand Prix)

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Round 4 voting is over. Round 5 has begun.

4. Nürburgring (German Grand Prix)

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

End of round 5. Round 6 has begun.

5. Rostock (East German Grand Prix)

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Round 7 is go.

6. Wicklow (Irish Grand Prix)

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Edinburgh is seventh.

7. Edinburgh (Scottish Grand Prix)

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

So yeah, one vote left.

7. Edinburgh (Scottish Grand Prix)
8. Silverstone (British Grand Prix)

Rated
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rated »

Guidobaldi will try to once again write a whole page of reject history by entering the Italian GP with Jacques Pollet. We will be using the FG01 chassis 2 and the Mercedes Benz UM153 n°14 engine.
BORDAS BORDAS BORDAS
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Right, I'm hoping to run the Italian Grand Prix by the end of the week, so I'll leave until tomorrow to complete your entries if you haven't done so already.

To be clear, the deadline is Thursday July 16th 2015 at 21:23 CET

Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Alt-1955 - Monza in preparation

Post by Nessafox »

You need something to pretend that you're a racing team? We've got exactly what you need!
Cooper T40 Formula 2 cars are now available for the reduced price of 2600!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Jonkheer Gijsbert van Loon has ordered the construction of one engine from the Aqua plans we acquired, which will be called the Loonmotor. He also will buy one chassis from Guidobaldi. He would also like to drive the car himself, though seeing as the FIA are frowining upon this, will instead run Hans Tak in the car for Monza.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Rated
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rated »

Guidobaldi will spend £7 500 to build the FG01 chassis 3. This new chassis will be sold and sent to Mr. van Loon at the same price.
BORDAS BORDAS BORDAS
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Ecurie Maghreb will have the following cars enter the Italian Grand Prix:

Louis Chiron: Lancia D50 Chassis, Lancia DS50 Engine
Andre Guelfi: Ambrosiana A-002 Chassis, OSCA 156s Engine
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

John Cooper not amused, ENB to Le mans?

"A year ago, these Belgians asked me to design a formula 2 car. No problem, as Cooper has been very competitive in formula 2. I was expecting them to compete in formula 2 and considering ENB's experience, that should be competitive. But then they went to F1 with it? What the hell were they thinking? We warned them that this would be a failure. They didn't listen to our advice"
The results with the T40 were, as exected, very poor.
"So we said to them: if you're going to compete in F1, construct a proper chassis. The T41 was a good design, however, the built quality wasn't optimal as these bloody Belgians kept asking us to make ridiculous changes to the design. Also this car had been designed to fit with a small, British engine, not the mammoth thirsty Maserati, what were these Italians even thinking? Of course that was going to cause handling problems! But it's not their fault they were so stupid to fall for those Belgians ideas. Maybe if we work with them properly, we can fit the engine better into the car."
"The Belgians created that weird investment scheme. Smells like fraud to me. Fact is that those customers didn't care one bit and the Belgians bit the dust. They got what they diserved. Of course the customers were going to leave this project from the moment they realised they lost their money"
"Yeah i don't speak my opinion about Formula 1 a lot, but i'm really angry and embarrassed of what these amateurs are doing to my cars. So from next year on, i will try to set Coopers reputation back straight by using a more professional structure. First we're going to see what the true potential of that T41 car is, then we'll see if we need to build a new one or not. Don't expect results from the first day. Formula 1 isn't a childrens game."

ENB-boss Jacques Swaters explains:
"John is just frustrated because he promised us a revolutionary car that would require a low budget. But the design was too sophisticated for small privateers like us. We were victim of the sport getting more and more professional, with ever increasing budgets for the big teams, and the huge starting grids."
The reason that ENB went downhill is not only to blame on finances, he says:
"Currenly Johnnys disease is getting problematic, we don't have time to properly run the team anymore, as we all need to support him and his family." Asked about the future of ENB, Swaters said "probably Le Mans"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

In the news
August 18th - Shukri al-Quwatli returns from exile and is elected President of Syria

August 18th - Mutinies in Southern Anglo-Egyptian Sudan suppressed; insurgency begins

August 20th - Riots in Morocco and Algeria agaisnt French rule; hundreds killed

August 25th - Final remaining Soviet forces leave Austria

August 28th - 14-year-old Emmett Till murdered by a lynch mob in Mississippi

August 31st - Egyptian military positions in Khan Yunis raided by Israeli forces

September 1st - Egyptian fighter planes shot down over Israel

September 6th - Turkish government encourages pogrom against Greek minority in Istanbul

September 8th - UN calls for a ceasefire in Palestine

September 13th - Said al-Ghazzi appointed Prime Minister of Syria

September 15th - Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita is published

September 16th - USAC forms to sanction four major American racing series

September 18th - United Kingdom annexes Rockall

September 19th - Juan Peron resigns from Argentine presidency and flees the country. José Domingo Molina Gómez takes interim control as junta leader

September 19th - Rashid Karami appointed Prime Minister of Lebanon

September 20th - Pham Van Dong succeeds Ho Chi Minh as Prime Minister of North Vietnam

September 21st - Last Allied troups leave Austria

September 22nd - First commercial TV station launched in Great Britain

September 22nd - French troops deployed to quash Algerian rebellion in El Djorf

Currently winning elsewhere
9 Hours of Goodwood - Peter Walker/Dennis Poore (S+2.0) - Les Leston/Archie Scott Brown (S1.5) - David Hampshire/Peter Scott-Russell (S2.0)

AAA Springfield 100 - Jimmy Bryan

NASCAR Grand National @ Raleigh - Herb Thomas

National Zandvoort - Mathieu Hezemans

SCCA @ Buchanan Field - Sterling Edwards (Mod+1.5) - Russell May (Novice 1.5) - William Allen (MG+VW) - Sam Weiss (Mod 1.5) - Weldon Russell (Novice +1.5) - Jean Pierre Kunstle (P356+TR2+AH) - John Fox (Ladies+F3) - Greg Teaby (300SL+Jag)

Giro delle Calabria - Luigi Bellucci (S2.0) - Giuseppe Rossi (S1.1) - Elio Zagato (GT2.0) - Nicola Musmeci (T+1.3) - Sesto Leonardi (S750) - F. di Francia (GT2.5) - Ignazio Scaletta (GT1.3) - Luciano Ciolfi (T1.3) - Gianni Brichetti (T750)

Copenhagen Cup @ Roskilde - Gunnar Carlsson

Daily Herald International Trophy @ Oulton Park - Reg Parnell (S+2.0) - Stirling Moss (S1.5) - Jim Russell (S1.1) - Peter Scott-Russell (S2.0)

National Crimond - Peter Hughes (S1.5/S2.7) - Ninian Sanderson (FLibre/Sports Unlimited)

MGCC Nationals @ Silverstone - J.M. Noble (Novice Handicap) - Tom Haig (Scratch Relay/MG Handicap) - G.S. Morton (non-MG Handicap) - Bryan Hewitt (Type T) - M.I. Webb (MG Handicap)

AAA Milwaukee 250 - Pat Flaherty

Gran Premio di Pergusa - Franco Bordoni

500 kilometres of the Nürburgring (German Sportscar Championship) - Jean Behra (S1.5) - Wolfgang von Trips (GT1.3) - Rolf-Friedrich Götze (GT1.6) - Pierre Chancel (S750) - Jacques Blanchet (GT/T1.0)

National Buenos Aires - Enrique Saenz Valiente

Santa Barbara Road Races - Ernie McAfee (Mod+1.5) - Ken Miles (Mod1.5)

Sunbac National Silverstone - Roy Bloxam (S1.5) - Chris Clairmonte (Handicap/S+1.5) - Mike MacDowel (1172F) - Gordon Cobham (MG) - Millard (750F)

Autumn International @ Aintree - Ninian Sanderson (S+2.0) - Noel Cunnigham-Reid (S2.0) - Colin Chapman (S1.5) - Roy Salvadori (S1.1)

Brighton Speed Trials - George Abecassis

Newry DMC National @ Cranfield - Rex McCandless (FLibre) - Tom Allen (Open Handicap) - Chris Lindsay (Prod Handicap)

SCCA @ Courtland Peyton MacCormack (Main/Prod+1.5/Mod+1.3) - G. Mummah (MG/VW) - Carroll Smith (Prod1.5/Mod1.3)

Stockholmsloppet @ Skarpnäck - Jo Bonnier (S+2.0) - Ivor Bueb (S2.0) - Bengt Martenson (GT+2.0) - Carl-Gunnar Hammalund (GT2.0) - André Loëns (PS2.0) - Arne Lindberg (PS+2.0)

BRSCC National @ Brands Hatch - Noel Cunnigham-Reid (S+1.9) - Peter Jopp (S1.5) - Peter Gammon (S1.2)

SCCA National Thompson - John Gordon Bennett (All Classes) - Len Bastrup (GM+HM) - Walt Hansgen (FM) - Dick Thompson (CP) - Jim Pauley (EM+EP) - Bill Lloyd (DM+CM) - John Meyer (BM+UR) - George Valentine (GP) - Art Simmons (DP) - Emil Pupulidy (FP)

Circuito di Salerno - Bernardo Taraschi

AAA Ted Horn Memorial @ DuQuoin - Jimmy Bryan

Pikes Peak Auto Hill Climb - Bob Finney

National Tres Arroyos - Enrique Saenz Valiente

SCCA Fairfax National Races @ Kansas City - Dale Duncan (BM+CM+DM+EM+FM) - Bud Seaverns (CP+DP+EP) - Norman Scott (GM+HM+FP+GP)

NASCAR Grand National Southern 500 - Herb Thomas

Oulton Park AMOC - George Abecassis

AAA syracuse 100 - Bob Sweikert

Peterborough MC National @ Silverstone - J. Graham Maude (Handicap S+1.5) - Brian Naylor (Relay/S1.5) - Alan Stacey (Handicap S1.5/S1.25) - Tom Barnard (Handicap S1.5) - Alex McMillan (S2.0) - Noel Cunningham-Reid (Sports Unlimited) - Mike MacDowel (1172F+750F) - Peter Binns (Motor Sport Trophy Handicap)

SCCA Elkhart Lake's Road America Road Race - Roy Heath (GP) - Paul O'Shea (DP+EP) - Frank Bott (EM+FM) - Bob Ballenger (FP) - Rees Makins (GM+HM) - Ralph Miller (CP) - Phil Hill (BM+CM+DM)

Vila do Conde - José A. Nogueira Pinto

Prescott - Phil Scragg

Coppa Inter Europa @Monza - Ottavio Guarducci (GT2.0) - Ferdinando Gatta (GT+2.0) - Egidio Gorza (GT1.3)

NASCAR Grand National @ Montgomery - Tim Flock

AAA Hoosier Hundred @ Indianapolis - Jimmy Bryan

SCCA Watkins Glen Grand Prix - Sherwood Johnston (Main) - Paul O'Shea (Glen Trophy) - Bill Weldon (Queen Catherine Cup) - Oakleigh Robinson (Collier Brothers Memorial) - M.R.J. Wyllie (Seneca Cup)

Aston Martin Owners Club @ Oulton Park - George Abecassis (Sports Unlimited) - Noel Cunningham-Reid (S2.7) - Brian Naylor (S1.5) - Bryan Hewitt (S1.25) - F.V. Lambert (1172F+750F)

BRCSS @Silverstone - Tony Gaze

BRSCC National Silverstone - Bob Gerard (FLibre) - Duncan Hamilton (S+2.0) - Les Leston (S1.5)

Tourist Trophy @ Dundrod (World Sportscar Championship) - Stirling Moss/Karl Kling (S3.0) - André Loëns/Jo Bonnier (S2.0) - Petermax Müller/Masten Gregory (S1.5) - Mike MacDowel/Ivor Bueb (S1.1) - Paul Armagnac/Gérard Laureau (S750)

NASCAR Grand National @ Langhorne - Tim Flock

I might have gotten carried away a bit there...

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

September 23rd 1955, Italian Grand Prix prequalifying

It's the end of the season, and what a season it's been. Many scary accidents all around, the tragic passing of Alberto Ascari just days after an emotional first victory at the action-packed French Grand Prix, the mass cancellation of Grands Prix following the catastrophe at le Mans and the...uh...eventful Soviet Grand Prix.

After all this, it's rookie Tony Brooks who leads the championship for the British Commonwealth Motorsport Association, with teammate Peter Collins his closest rival, four points behind. Six points behind, Manzon, Titterington, Trintignant and Sanesi are all in contention, as are Jack Brabham and Dorino Serafini. However, rumours are saying that the Soviet Grand Prix might get stripped of its championship status. This makes this final Grand Prix all the more important.

To make matters even more interesting, for the very first time, the impressiev concrete oval will be used in conjunction with the regular course, making for a circuit 10 kilometres in length.

49 entries were kept for this race.

1. Maria Teresa de Filippis (Maria Teresa de Filippis) - O.S.C.A. F154 chassis 6, O.S.C.A. 156s engine 1
2. David Hampshire (Hampshire Racing Alliance) - Bentley Speed 4 chassis 8, Bentley 16VL-1 engine 10
3. Roy Salvadori (Hampshire Racing Alliance) - Bentley Speed 4 chassis 5, Bentley 16VL-1 engine 4
4. Hernando da Silva Ramos (Officine Renzo) - Alfa Romeo AR161 chassis 5, Alfa Romeo AR2V8 engine 3
5. Toulo de Graffenried (Officine Renzo) - Alfa Romeo AR161 chassis 4, Alfa Romeo AR2V8 engine 4
6. Jean-Louis Rosier (Ecurie Voeckler) - Alfa Romeo AR161 chassis 6, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 11
7. Alfonso de Portago (Loyer Racing) - Loyer LR101 chassis 1, Porsche 755 engine 3
8. Eugenio Castellotti (Porsche System Engineering) - Porsche 855 chassis 1, Porsche 755 engine 1
9. Porfirio Rubirosa (ART-Gordini) - Gordini G-953 chassis 4, Gordini ART-004 engine 3
10. Consalvo Sanesi (ART-Gordini) - Gordini G-953 chassis 6, Gordini ART-004 engine 2
11. Robert Manzon (ART-Gordini) - Gordini G-953 chassis 8, Gordini ART-004 engine 4
12. Karl Kling (Rennkollektiv EMW) - Aston Martin AM-04 chassis 7, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 9
14. Roberto Mieres (Escuderia Hernandez) - Cooper T41 chassis 1, FIAT 155 engine 1
15. Philippe Etancelin (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 555 chassis 1, Ferrari 555 engine 7
16. Ottorino Volonterio (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 555 chassis 6, Ferrari 555 engine 6
17. Dorino Serafini (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 555 chassis 5, Ferrari 555 engine 2
18. José Froilan Gonzalez (Scuderia Anglo-Italia) - O.S.C.A. 154 chassis 3, Bentley 16VL-1 engine 2
19. Peter Whitehead (Scuderia Anglo-Italia) - Bentley Speed 4 chassis 10, O.S.C.A. 156s engine 7
20. Stirling Moss (Scuderia Anglo-Italia) - Bentley Speed 4 chassis 9, O.S.C.A. 156s engine 9
21. Harry Schell (Geoff Richardson Racing) - Bentley Speed 4 chassis 11, Bentley 16VL-1 engine 11
22. André Guelfi (Ecurie Maghreb) - Ambrosiana A-002 chassis 3, O.S.C.A. 156s engine 3
23. Desmond Titterington (Irish Racing Association) - Lancia D50 chassis 1, Lancia DS50 engine 1
24. Reg Armstrong (Irish Racing Association) - Lancia D50 chassis 5, Lancia DS50 engine 5
25. Peter Collins (British Commonwealth Motorsport Association) - B.C.M.A. C-01 chassis 1, B.C.M.A. A/AS Griffin engine 5
26. Tony Brooks (British Commonwealth Motorsport Association) - B.C.M.A. C-01 chassis 4, B.C.M.A. A/AS Griffin engine 1
27. Umberto Maglioli (British Commonwealth Motorsport Association) - B.C.M.A. C-01 chassis 3, B.C.M.A. A/AS Griffin engine 2
28. Bib Stillwell (Tasman Racing Alliance) - O.S.C.A. F154 chassis 7, Vanwall 254 engine 3
29. Ron Flockhart (Officine Alfieri Maserati) - Cooper T41 chassis 2, Maserati 200F engine 1
30. Jack Brabham (Alfa Romeo SpA) - Alfa Romeo AR161 chassis 1, Alfa Romeo AR2V8 engine 1
31. Giuseppe Farina (Alfa Romeo SpA) - Alfa Romeo AR161 chassis 2, Alfa Romeo AR2V8 engine 2
32. Tony Gaze (Alfa Romeo SpA) - Alfa Romeo AR161 chassis 8, Alfa Romeo AR2V8 engine 5
33. Mike Hawthorn (Vanwall) - Vanwall VW55 chassis 1, Vanwall 254 engine 1
34. Dennis Poore (Vanwall) - Vanwall VW55 chassis 2, Vanwall 254 engine 2
35. Giannino Marzotto (Maria Teresa de Filippis) - O.S.C.A. F154 chassis 8, O.S.C.A. 156s engine 4
36. Tony Bettenhausen (Jaguar-Aston Martin Racing) - Aston Martin AM-04 chassis 11, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 1
37. Bob Sweikert (Jaguar-Aston Martin Racing) - Aston Martin AM-04 chassis 3, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 3
38. Alan Brown (Jaguar-Aston Martin Racing) - Aston Martin AM-04 chassis 2, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 2
39. Maurice Trintignant (Jaguar-Aston Martin Racing) - Aston Martin AM-04 chassis 12, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 16
40. Stan Jones (Balkan Leader) - Alfa Romeo AR161 chassis 7, Balkan Lion F154 engine 3
41. Kenneth McAlpine (Owen Racing Organisation) - Bentley Speed 4 chassis 4, Bentley 16VL-1 engine 9
42. Jacques Pollet (Guidobaldi) - Guidobaldi FG01 chassis 2, Mercedes UM153 engine 14
43. Lucien Bianchi (Scuderia Adriatica) - Ambrosiana A-002 chassis 2, Ferrari 555 engine 4
44. Paco Godia (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 555 chassis 7, Ferrari 555 engine 5
45. Troy Ruttman (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 555 chassis 8, Ferrari 555 engine 1
46. Guido Meregalli (Scuderia Ferrari) - Ferrari 555 chassis 12, Ferrari 555 engine 13
47. André Simon (Ecurie Voeckler) - Alfa Romeo AR161 chassis 3, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 6
48. Clemar Bucci (Ecurie Voeckler) - Alfa Romeo AR160 chassis 1, Jaguar JFE-2 engine 12
49. Anne Hall (BRUNEL) - O.S.C.A. F154 chassis 4, Porsche 755 engine 5
50. Hans Tak (Jonkheer Gijsbert von Loon) - Guidobaldi FG01 chassis 3, Loonmotor SAMC-1A engine 1

-Despite Stuart Lewis-Evans scoring a miraculous point in Estonia, Bernie Ecclestone will not be making an appearance in Monza, and has cast doubts over any further participation in the future.
-Roy Salvadori will be driving the second Hampshire Bentley once again after skipping the Soviet round due to budget issues.
-After missing the race in Estonia, Ecurie Voeckler come back with a three-car operation for Jean-Louis Rosier, André Simon and the promising Argentine Clemar Bucci, all in Alfa-Jag combinations.
-Despite his strong performance in Estonia, Roger Loyer will not be competing in Monza, with Alfonso de Portago once again sole driver for Loyer Racing.
-For the first time, the works Porsche team is reduced to one car, as Jean Behra's chassis could not be repaired in time, fueling rumours that Stuttgart may be backing out of Formula 1 once more at the end of the year.
-Karl Kling steps back into the EMW, once again looking to make the main qualifying session, if not the grid itself.
-After Spider Webb's very brief stint at Hernandez (in which he never actually drove the car), Roberto Mieres steps back in the Cooper-FIAT to finish the year in Monza.
-With the German Grand Prix beign cancelled, Theo Fitzau's drive for Guidobaldi was moved to the Soviet Grand Prix. In order to give Jacques Pollet his promised drive, an extra entry in Italy was announced to cap Guidobaldi's year.
-After a hugely eventful Soviet Grand Prix, Ferrari completely rearranged their line-up. Reg Parnell was released from his contract while the team bought back cars from customers in order to field a mind-blowing six cars for this race. Aside from Ruttman, Godia and Serafini, Ottorino Volonterio and racing veterans Philippe Etancelin and Guido Meregalli, who are 58 and 61 years old respectively.
-After Louis Chiron self-entered the Maghreb Lancia in Estonia, which was subsequently crashed by Hernando da Silva Ramos when he took over the car for the race, Maghreb have been forced to enter only the second car, an Ambrosiana-O.S.C.A., for regular driver André Guelfi.
-Bib Stillwell and Tasman missed the Soviet Grand Prix to save money, as they fear running out of money before heading back to New Zealand. In the meantime, they are back in Monza, hoping to get another good result.
-After the failure of the early-season Cooper partnership, Maserati cut their schedule to the three Southern races at season's end. However, the Portuguese and Moroccan Grands Prix were canceled, leaving Ron Flockhart with only the Italian Grand Prix to score a result for the team.
-Vanwall also missed the Soviet Grand Prix, but due to staunch political opinions from Tony Vandervell. Hawthorn and Poore will once again attempt to make the grid.
-Finally, JAMR have managed to scrape together a four-car team. Joining regulars Bettenhausen and Trintignant will be Bob Sweikert, who already drove for the team in Scotland, and Alan Brown.
-When Luigi Musso retired in Estonia, Scuderia Ambrosiana's run in F1 ended. Racking up too many debts in the process of designing their new car and hiring two perceived second-rate drivers sealed their fate.
-Lucien Bianchi takes Scuderia Adriatica's Ambrosiana-Ferrari package for a second spin at the team's home race after a promising run at Silverstone.
-Despite a chronic failure to get results, BRUNEL have made the rash decision to send Anne Hall and the O.S.C.A.-Porsche to Monza for one final entry.
-Faced with a return to the place where team leader Alberto Ascari was killed in May, Phoenix Racing Organisation decided not to make the trip and instead close up shop after Wolfgang von Trips proved uncapable of continuing the team's spirit.
-Slightly out-of-touch Dutch nobleman Jonkheer Gijsbert van Loon has decided to enter Formula One with one of the more bizarre cars seen yet. Armed with a relatively small budget, he purchased a Guidobaldi and built an engine called the Loonmotor using the plans from the 2-year-old Aqua failure. Poor Hans Tak has been hired to drive the car. Some people remember that one year ago, a certain Baron Trod van Hoff made a rather similar début...

With only 34 spots on the grid, 15 drivers will have to prequalify.

Roy Salvadori
Jean-Louis Rosier
Karl Kling
Roberto Mieres
Philippe Etancelin
Ron Flockhart
Bob Sweikert
Alan Brown
Kenneth McAlpine
Jacques Pollet
Lucien Bianchi
Guido Meregalli
Clemar Bucci
Anne Hall
Hans Tak