2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Zetec

2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Post by Zetec »

So, let's get started:

What has Rosberg to do, to win the championship?

Rosberg: 6th or worse, Hamilton wins WC, regardless of his result
Rosberg: 5th, Hamilton: no points (337/334)
Rosberg: 4th, Hamilton: 9th or worse (341/338)
Rosberg: 3th, Hamilton: 7th or worse (347/346)
Rosberg: 2nd, Hamilton: 6th or worse (353/350)
Rosberg: 1st, Hamilton: 3rd or worse (367/364)

So in other words, Rosberg has to do his best and hope that Hamilton bins it in any way.
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Post by Ataxia »

Or, as I've seen written somewhere else...

Hamilton will win the championship if he has more points than Rosberg at the end of the season.
Rosberg will win the championship if he has more points than Hamilton at the end of the season.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Just For One Day...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Too early indeed.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
AndreaModa

The 2014 Abu Dhabi GP Discussion Thread

Post by AndreaModa »

Here we go then, the teams are setting up in the garages as we speak, the tension is rising, and even though it's Abu Dhabi, it's going to be exciting right!

Will Torrente take the fight to Carella? Can Chiappe finally stop being the bridesmaid? Will the mighty minnows Caudwell match their best performance last time out and score more points?

Ah.

Wrong Abu Dhabi GP! :lol:

Rather confusing having both going on at the same time though!

But to the F1 of the four-wheeled, car variety. Who do we think is going to clinch the title? In my mind the odds are stacked in Hamilton's favour, but a performance like in Brazil from Rosberg could tip it in his favour instead. It may well be Abu Dhabi, but I think the interest in an inter-team championship battle, the like we haven't seen for a long time, will overcome the dour track, and maybe even the double points. At the end of the day, they mean nothing, it's literally about the two cars, and who can triumph over the other. No funny business can take away what is destined to be a famous victory, whoever ends up claiming it.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: The 2014 Abu Dhabi GP Discussion Thread

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

This Abu Dhabi Grand Prix?
#FreeGonzo
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Carella was absolutely robbed at the last race. I expect nothing less than a win here. Also, hoping for a Benavente showing and consequent podium.

There is a locked thread for this GP, by the way. Both could be merged
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DanielPT wrote:Carella was absolutely robbed at the last race. I expect nothing less than a win here. Also, hoping for a Benavente showing and consequent podium.

Don't underestimate home advantage - Al Qamzi knows the course better than anyone else.

Most of all though I'm just hoping Chiappe can eat into Carella's lead. Alex is in pole position in the title fight again, someone has to stop him from making it four championships in a row.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

My thread gets blocked, but this one not???
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Zetec wrote:My thread gets blocked, but this one not???

That's because of timing. One usually opens this thread the Tuesday before the race as agreed somewhere in the past. You did that one week too early.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I still think Caudwell stand a good chance to get a point or 2.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Ah crap! Forgot about the locked thread, sorry everyone!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

The hotel at the circuit still resembles a gentleman's area.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:But to the F1 of the four-wheeled, car variety. Who do we think is going to clinch the title? In my mind the odds are stacked in Hamilton's favour, but a performance like in Brazil from Rosberg could tip it in his favour instead. It may well be Abu Dhabi, but I think the interest in an inter-team championship battle, the like we haven't seen for a long time, will overcome the dour track, and maybe even the double points. At the end of the day, they mean nothing, it's literally about the two cars, and who can triumph over the other. No funny business can take away what is destined to be a famous victory, whoever ends up claiming it.

The thing is, Rosberg only has limited control over the title battle - if the race is another Mercedes 1-2 finish, then Hamilton can afford to finish second and would still take the title. Rosberg is in a situation where he is relying on Hamilton encountering issues in order for there to be a big enough difference in points for him to secure the title, which he has admitted is a situation he is not entirely comfortable about.

To be honest, I do not read that article as a being a sign that Wolff is favouring Hamilton. I read it more as Wolff fearing that, if Rosberg were to take the title because of a quirk in the double points system, the resultant backlash against the sport would destroy much of the marketing potential of the teams success this season. Given that the Mercedes works team has spent over £300 million and their engine division has spent an additional £190 million, according to the most recent financial accounts, that is a lot of money to see burned up in bitter and angry headlines.

Wolff would be saying exactly the same thing if Rosberg was the one leading the championship instead of Hamilton - in fact, he was saying much the same thing earlier in the season when Hamilton was playing catch up after his early season reliability issues gave Rosberg the lead of the WDC and people were wondering if Hamilton would be the one relying on double points swinging things back his way in Abu Dhabi. It'll be how the title is won, rather than by whom, that is far more likely to be causing him headaches...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Bobby Doorknobs

The way I see it Toto has been fooling everyone pretty much since Spa by showing 'favouritism' towards Hamilton, to make it look like they aren't a German team favouring a German driver. Please! Toto is only emphasising a potential car problem for Lewis because Mercedes are planning on sabotaging him again so they can hand the title to that cheat Rosberg! :evil:

Sorry, wrong website. :P

Anyway, Marussia have more or less confirmed they won't be in Abu Dhabi: http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/573065/2 ... GugD2avnIU
#FreeGonzo
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I stand corrected. :oops: I was oversuspicious.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

mario wrote: Given that the Mercedes works team has spent over £300 million and their engine division has spent an additional £190 million, according to the most recent financial accounts, that is a lot of money to see burned up in bitter and angry headlines.

Since I want some changes on the top of F1, things ending up in bitter and angry headlines wouldn't be a bad outcome for me.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:
mario wrote: Given that the Mercedes works team has spent over £300 million and their engine division has spent an additional £190 million, according to the most recent financial accounts, that is a lot of money to see burned up in bitter and angry headlines.

Since I want some changes on the top of F1, things ending up in bitter and angry headlines wouldn't be a bad outcome for me.

I don't mind bitterness and anger (it's one of the reasons I enjoy visiting here) providing it's genuine and not contrived to gain headlines :lol:
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

I don't mind bitterness and anger (it's one of the reasons I enjoy visiting here) providing it's genuine and not contrived to gain headlines :lol:

I find this forum not that bitter and angry. Although I admit lately things have been lively.

I am pretty sure that the bitterness and anger generated, in between a mix of headline making stuff, would be mostly genuine. Hamilton losing the title because of double points having doubled Rosberg's wins would be too much for emotions not to be genuine.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:I find this forum not that bitter and angry.

Maybe the bitterness and anger is just between us two then :evil:
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:

If that was the case it would be great for the forum. I don't think that is the case, at least for me. You can live in your own bitterness and anger if you like! :lol:
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

If that was the case it would be great for the forum. I don't think that is the case, at least for me. You can live in your own bitterness and anger if you like! :lol:

Look at you, telling me what to do again. I thought the lack of sleep was from these night feeds I've been doing since my daughter was born last week BUT ITS BECAUSE OF YOU BULLYING ME ON HERE!!
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:Look at you, telling me what to do again. I thought the lack of sleep was from these night feeds I've been doing since my daughter was born last week BUT ITS BECAUSE OF YOU BULLYING ME ON HERE!!

1- Congratulations on your parenthood! Maybe now you can finally grow a little. ;)

2- Your lack of sleep is starting to show in your posts. Bully? Me? You must be dreaming! :lol:
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Look at you, telling me what to do again. I thought the lack of sleep was from these night feeds I've been doing since my daughter was born last week BUT ITS BECAUSE OF YOU BULLYING ME ON HERE!!

1- Congratulations on your parenthood! Maybe now you can finally grow a little. ;)

2- Your lack of sleep is starting to show in your posts. Bully me? You must be dreaming! :lol:

Thanks buddy, she my third so its a little late to expect some maturity from this end. Im really pleased because a month before the wife got pregnant we were told I was infertile so WHO'S THE DADDY NOW?!?!? ;)
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:Thanks buddy, she my third so its a little late to expect some maturity from this end. Im really pleased because a month before the wife got pregnant we were told I was infertile so WHO'S THE DADDY NOW?!?!? ;)

Wait... The Doctor said you were infertile after having two kids? How is that?

As for maturity, third time's a charm!

EDIT: A second thought suggests me that I have nothing to do with it and it looks like so. My apologies.
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Even without double points, if Hamilton bins it or retires then Rosberg can clinch the title. With double points he more or less needs to finish directly behind Rosberg or better, while w/o he'd have a more comfortable margin (6th if Rosberg wins would do).

The whole double points thing was (shortsightedly) invented to prevent Vettel running away with it before the final race. Bernie was recently yelling that team principals are to blame for the system being unpopular because he wanted the last 3 races to count double, but was overruled and only the final race got the dubious honor. Either way it's a very dumb and artificial idea. Some seasons will simply not be historic or epic and that's just fine, but as a business i guess they wanted to ensure high viewing figures throughout the season and right to the end. Can't really change the sport in order to squeeze more income out of it, not without damaging it.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Thanks buddy, she my third so its a little late is to expect some maturity from this end. Im really pleased because a month before the wife got pregnant we were told I was infertile so WHO'S THE DADDY NOW?!?!? ;)

EDIT: A second thought suggests me that I have nothing to do with it and it looks like so. My apologies.

No, Im sorry DPT as I was making a joke. That 'whos the daddy' expression probably isnt used much over where you are so coupling it with the joke I was infertile suggesting that I wasn't actually the Daddy wouldn't really work :oops:
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Thanks buddy, she my third so its a little late is to expect some maturity from this end. Im really pleased because a month before the wife got pregnant we were told I was infertile so WHO'S THE DADDY NOW?!?!? ;)

No, Im sorry DPT as I was making a joke. That 'whos the daddy' expression probably isnt used much over where you are so coupling it with the joke I was infertile suggesting that I wasn't actually the Daddy wouldn't really work :oops:

Hum... I am familiar with that 'whos the daddy' expression but since it is a boasting expression I thought you were joking about how you challenged those who said you were infertile. But I now understand what you meant in the first place. Better late than never... :oops:
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:

I suppose it depends on whether or not you are the one who has been spending nearly £500 million - if you were, you might not be quite so keen on seeing things change...

On another note, although it's strictly not part of the Abu Dhabi race weekend, it has been announced that Jolyon Palmer and Richard Goddard will be testing for Force India (the latter, it turns out, finished 23rd in this year's European F3 series - perhaps his wallet was weighing him down...). http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/11/19/p ... dia-tests/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Hold on to your butts - Adderly Fong will drive for Sauber in FP1 :o
In other news, Esteban Ocon will take one of the Lotuses for a couple of laps as well.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Pointrox wrote:Hold on to your butts - Adderly Fong will drive for Sauber in FP1

I had to Google this name because I didn't believe the person you were referring to actually existed. Poor Sauber.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Bobby Doorknobs

Pointrox wrote:Hold on to your butts - Adderly Fong will drive for Sauber in FP1 :o
In other news, Esteban Ocon will take one of the Lotuses for a couple of laps as well.

Yes! Yes! Yes! The legend of Chinese test drivers like Ho-Pin Tung and Ma Qinghua will continue! :D
#FreeGonzo
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Nice diagram:

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Why not just HAM and ROS? Unnecessary hashtags are annoying.

But anyway, it's quite handy.

Edit: the inconsistent placement of the helmets within each square is annoying me too
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Bobby Doorknobs

good_Ralf wrote:Nice diagram:

The diagram seems to assume that a dead heat is impossible. It's not impossible, just highly improbable.

Apart from that, good diagram. :)
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
The diagram seems to assume that a dead heat is impossible. It's not impossible, just highly improbable.

I think that if there were a dead heat, Hamilton would be declared champ due to a greater number of wins, in the same way Sauber are ahead of Caterham, due to better results.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dr-baker wrote:
Simtek wrote:

I think that if there were a dead heat, Hamilton would be declared champ due to a greater number of wins, in the same way Sauber are ahead of Caterham, due to better results.

I think he meant dead heat in the race. With double points, a 17-point gap can't be matched, obviously ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Bobby Doorknobs

The longest question ever asked in an F1 press conference.

And yes I did mean a dead heat in the race. :)
#FreeGonzo
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

The last time which a driver came to Abu Dhabi just needing a second place... he lost (Alonso in 2010).
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.