1/43 F1 Reject-themed model collection

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dr-baker

Re: 1/43 F1 Reject-themed model collection

Post by dr-baker »

Faustus wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
Faustus wrote:I've got one model of the TF109 on the way and I'm trying to find at least 1 more. I'll do the black Pirelli car first and if it comes out alright, I'll do the white Pirelli car and the Stefan.

Is this the one you are attempting/have attemped? (This was a showcar at Monza.)

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz28 ... C03131.jpg
http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz28 ... C03132.jpg
http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz28 ... C03136.jpg

Thanks for the photos dr-baker!
That is the one and at the same time it isn't, if that makes sense.
The livery is very similar but it looks cooler with the coloured geometric shapes in the sidepods, monocoque and rear wing. Looks better than the normal car.
The showcar itself looks a little bizarre. It's not the Toyota TF109, because the front wing mounts and endplates and engine cover are different, which is to be expected from a showcar, I guess. I'm not sure which car it's based on.
By the way, would you say that the overall black was sort of semi-glossy? It's definitely not matt black, despite the fact that it looks it in some photos, but it doesn't look very glossy.

You're right about the matt-gloss effect - not quite one or the other. Would like to see an F1 team try that kind of effect. And I was a bit puzzled by the front wing etc. myself. Thought it looked like a Toyota TF109 but not quite, but that's the car that was on display on the Pirelli stand at Monza...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

1 more, the Arrows A23... I mean, Super Aguri SA05 Showcar with Franck Montagny. Simultaneous addition to 4 collections (reject drivers, reject teams, Super Aguri and cars I worked on):

I compared this model side-by-side with the Arrows A23 and it really is basically the casting of the A23 with a different rear wing. I don't ever remember seeing a showcar in this specification while I was at Super Aguri, but I guess it might have happened.
Last edited by Faustus on 22 Sep 2011, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dr-baker wrote:You're right about the matt-gloss effect - not quite one or the other. Would like to see an F1 team try that kind of effect. And I was a bit puzzled by the front wing etc. myself. Thought it looked like a Toyota TF109 but not quite, but that's the car that was on display on the Pirelli stand at Monza...

Thank you for conforming it dr. baker! I've masked the test model up and I'm going to try a semi-gloss spray paint this weekend.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

The Super Aguri SA05 showcar with Takuma Sato:

Companion piece to the Franck Montagny showcar of 2 posts above.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

2 more rejects today.

Ricardo Rosset in the Tyrrell 026 in 1998:

Allan McNish as test driver of the Renault R23 in 2003:

Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Another reject:

Shinji Nakano in the Prost JS45 from 1997:

Chritian Klien as test driver of the Honda RA106 in 2006:

Allan McNish as test driver of the Toyota TF101 in 2001:

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Faustus wrote:
dr-baker wrote:You're right about the matt-gloss effect - not quite one or the other. Would like to see an F1 team try that kind of effect. And I was a bit puzzled by the front wing etc. myself. Thought it looked like a Toyota TF109 but not quite, but that's the car that was on display on the Pirelli stand at Monza...

Thank you for conforming it dr. baker! I've masked the test model up and I'm going to try a semi-gloss spray paint this weekend.

So how has it turned out?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Matteo Bobbi in the Minardi PS03 in 2003, I'm assuming it's for his one race weekend as friday test driver at the San Marino Grand Prix:

Not quite sure why Minichamps bothered to release this model, but I'm not complaining.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dr-baker wrote:
Faustus wrote:

So how has it turned out?

Not well. Terrible, in fact. The paint was too thin and ran, leaving some nasty streaks. I had to clean it all off by dipping it in brake fluid (bleach works as well but takes longer), prime it again (which is done), mask it and spray it again, hopefully tomorrow or monday.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just wanted to revive this thread to show a bargain I got yesterday - reduced from £45 to £15:

(Sorry about the quality - taken with my mobile phone...)
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Over the weekend, I popped into a ModelZone shop, and found these two models with a bit of damage (which I can live with!). Sato's Super Aguri was discounted from £38 to £10, while Rubens' Brawn was discounted from £35 to £15.

ImageImage
MCard LOLA
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Well,now that this thread's revived,I should mention that I have a Minichamps model of the De Tomaso 505/38 used by the Frank Williams Racing team.I also have a Ralf Schumacher and a Johnny Herbert model from 2000.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Is that from the new "extra-authentic" Sato range? :lol:
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

midgrid wrote:Is that from the new "extra-authentic" Sato range? :lol:

Nah, it is just the "slightly-more-authentic" Sato range.

And the other is from the range to give Barrichello more to complain about.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I stopped posting on this thread ages ago (October 2011), but I have a shitload more models now and a lot of them are rejects. I'll start posting again and what better model to resume than this one?

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Faustus wrote:Image

I can't see a Team Lotus logo on the green stripe???
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dr-baker wrote:
Faustus wrote:Image

I can't see a Team Lotus logo on the green stripe???

Licensing issue, no doubt. My other Pacifics from 1995 don't have it either.
Thunderer

Post by Thunderer »

MinardiFan95 wrote:Today I recieved my two 1/43 scale (reject related) Onyx model cars.

First up is Paul Belmondo's Pacific from 1994 ( unfortunantly I couldn't find a Deletraz or 'Johnny Carwash' (Lavaggi) model car)

Next is "undoubtedly the greatest driver that Grand Prix racing has ever produced",Ukyo Katayama's '94 Tyrrell (which even features "Concept by Fondmetal" logos on the front and rear wings).

And finally, an overhead shot of both of the cars

***I apologise for the epic bump of this thread***

Around 15 years ago I was at the Market in York and saw these for sale but passed on them. I'm kicking myself now.
I only have one 1/43 Model and while not a reject driver, certainly was a reject season for him.... Damon Hill's 1999 Jordan.
I don't know what Deletraz is doing either...
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I'll start posting photos os my models here again.
I've got 1 reject and 1 in-no-way-in-hell-could-either-the-driver-or-the-team-be-considered-a-reject, but it's a test car and I like test cars. So there.

The reject first. Eddie Keizan in his privateer Tyrrell 004 in the South African G.P. 1973. Quite a rare model these days and a bit of a pig to find. This is the only diecast model manufactured of this car, although it wouldn't be too difficult to transkit another model of the 004 with the correct decals.

Mika Hakkinen in his first Formula 1 test in the Benetton B188, held at Silverstone in 1990. I think, but I'm not entirely sure, that this was a car used for testing of active suspension mostly tested by Gary Brabham and Johnny Dumfries.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I didn't know that Mika Hakkinen's first time in an F1 car was in a Benetton!
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

dr-baker wrote:I didn't know that Mika Hakkinen's first time in an F1 car was in a Benetton!

Oh man, a Schumacher-Hakkinen lineup for late-1991 or 1992 at Benetton would have been ridiculously epic
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dr-baker wrote:I didn't know that Mika Hakkinen's first time in an F1 car was in a Benetton!

Indeed it was, on Silverstone's South circuit. It was before his British F3 season, in which he was of course champion. He lost out to Michael Schumacher in their accident at the Macau Grand Prix in November and thoroughly humiliated the Italian championship in a race at Imola.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I never knew they had 7Up sponsorship either! Was that a one-off or something?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

AndreaModa wrote:I never knew they had 7Up sponsorship either! Was that a one-off or something?

Considering it's on the 1989 car, I'd assume it was a one year deal or something like that because it wasn't on either the 88 or 90 cars.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

...although, with the white dual-airboxes, that'll be an early 1990 B189B, the one that raced at Phoenix and Interlagos.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

dinizintheoven wrote:...although, with the white dual-airboxes, that'll be an early 1990 B189B, the one that raced at Phoenix and Interlagos.

It's also on the B189
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dinizintheoven wrote:...although, with the white dual-airboxes, that'll be an early 1990 B189B, the one that raced at Phoenix and Interlagos.

You are absolutely right.
It's from racecarsdirect, which is a site for selling racing cars, and as we know, owners of racing cars are sometimes quite liberal with the liveries on their cars. Mistakes or intentional mistakes like this are so common I can't even tell you. Look at the Group C and IMSA GTP historic championships and half of the liveries are on cars that never sported those liveries.
I think we can agree that 7Up was a sponsor of Benetton in 1989, both in the early-season B188 and the B189.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Liberal with the liveries, definitely: I've had a look at Forix, and also the first two races of the 1990 season review, and none of the B189Bs ever had 7Up sponsorship, or anything other than the Benetton logo on the rear wing. Also, the Sanyo sponsorship was 1989-only as well.

Hence, I conclude now that it's a B189 with the twin airboxes mis-painted in white when they should have been yellow.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

dinizintheoven wrote:Liberal with the liveries, definitely: I've had a look at Forix, and also the first two races of the 1990 season review, and none of the B189Bs ever had 7Up sponsorship, or anything other than the Benetton logo on the rear wing. Also, the Sanyo sponsorship was 1989-only as well.

Hence, I conclude now that it's a B189 with the twin airboxes mis-painted in white when they should have been yellow.

We should make our own TV show like the Antiques Roadshow and review classis racing cars up for sale :lol:
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

3 more, all of them rejects.

Domenico Schiattarella in the Simtek S951 from 1995.

Lucas di Grassi in the Virgin VR-01 from 2010. Really beautiful model from Spark.

This is an interesting one. A Minichamps model with a decal transkit to make Anthony Davidson's Honda RA106 from the 2006 Brazilian GP. Made by a friend of mine.

Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Hubert Hahne in the March 701 in the 1970 German GP. He claimed that March sold him an inferior car and tried to sue. Ronnie Peterson drove Hahne's in Silverstone and was significantly faster and his times were competitive, so Hahne shut the hell up and promptly retired.

Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

4 more, 1 is a reject.

Pedro Diniz in the Arrows A19 from 1998.

Jean Alesi testing the McLaren MP4-16 in 2002.

Jean Alesi in the Prost AP04 in 2001.

Last but not least, the reject. Ricardo Zonta the friday 3rd driver in the Toyota TF104 from 2004.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Zonta's not a reject. He has three sixth places from 2000.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

tommykl wrote:Zonta's not a reject. He has three sixth places from 2000.

You're absolutely right, I was convinced that he only had 2, for some reason.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I've posted too many non-rejects on this thread, so I'll go back to only posting photos of models of rejects.

New one, Toranosuke Takagi in the Arrows testcar from 1999 (or winter of 1998 would be more apt):

Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Some more that I received today:

Norberto Fontana in the Sauber C16 from 1997:

Alex Yoong in the Minardi PS01 from the US GP of 2001:

Gianmaria Bruni in the Minardi PS03, as a friday test driver from 2003:

Franck Montagny in the Renault R23, as friday test driver from 2003:

Bas Leinders in the Minardi PS04B, as friday test driver from 2004:

Not strictly a reject, but a car that was never raced in this configuration. Jorg Muller in the Williams FW21 used for testing of Michelin tyres in 2000:

David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Okay, I know bout Muller, but never seen his helmet. Thats is a cool helmet!
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

A little while ago people may remember I posted some pictures of a Tamiya 1:20 1991 Tyrrell that I'd completed. Well whilst it isn't 1:43rd or even related to F1 really, I have finally finished another kit, this time a 1:25 Revell kit of a Ford Mustang GTO from 1986:

It's not really a very good kit, though it is old now. The one I bought had badly yellowed decals which don't show up much on the photo. There's a lot of detail inside as well, and the whole shell can be removed to reveal this detail. Anyway I wanted to use this occasion to announce my motorsport/model kit photos have been moved from Flickr to Picasa due to size constraints with the number of images I had in my Flickr account.

My public gallery is here: https://picasaweb.google.com/112217841994160176870

Next up, and thus should be expected in at least 12 months' time, is Bellof's Jagermeister Porsche 956, so a bit more of an F1 link with that one! Also in the pipeline is a Kobayashi Sauber C30 so that should garner some interest! :D
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Monstrobolaxa

Post by Monstrobolaxa »

Faustus wrote: I don't ever remember seeing a showcar in this specification while I was at Super Aguri, but I guess it might have happened.

This configuration was never seen on the SA05. The closest config to this one was the 1st test config at Barcelona. Where the Arrows A23 nose/wing assy and rear wing was used. But the car didn't have a livery.

Minichamps has this habit of using the previous years car with the following years livery and publicise it as the showcar.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

AndreaModa wrote:A little while ago people may remember I posted some pictures of a Tamiya 1:20 1991 Tyrrell that I'd completed. Well whilst it isn't 1:43rd or even related to F1 really, I have finally finished another kit, this time a 1:25 Revell kit of a Ford Mustang GTO from 1986:

I've got this kit and I haven't dared to build it. There was a series of 4 or 5 from Revell of these IMSA GTO and Trans-Am kits. I've got 4 and they were very nice kits at the time, although they are more than 20 years old now, so the detailing, the engraving and the thickness of some parts isn't to the current standard.

AndreaModa wrote:My public gallery is here: https://picasaweb.google.com/112217841994160176870
-

Doesn't seem to work?

AndreaModa wrote:Next up, and thus should be expected in at least 12 months' time, is Bellof's Jagermeister Porsche 956, so a bit more of an F1 link with that one! Also in the pipeline is a Kobayashi Sauber C30 so that should garner some interest! :D

Have you started the 956? Is it Tamiya, Hasegawa or Revell?
The Sauber C30 is the Revell 1/24 kit, right?