2014 Japanese Grand Prix + Couch Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TheFlyingCaterham

2014 Japanese Grand Prix + Couch Discussion Thread

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

I thought I might as well start this thread up :)

So, this week the Formula 1 circus goes to Suzuka for one of the most difficult circuits on the calender. I reckon the most interesting thing on our minds is the Rosberg v Hamilton rivalry. Hamilton retook the lead at Singapore after "foreign substances" ruined Rosberg's night, while Hamilton won the race. Could Hamilton potentially pull a Prost?
I know it's going a teeny bit too far, but who knows?

However, this circuit is Red Bull ground, with the team winning 3 of the last 4 grands Prix. Vettel will probably be looking to win his first race of the year, while Ricciardo will be trying to catch back up to the Mercedes drivers.

Note how I have made a lot of assumptions, so I will probably have got some stuff wrong.
Now, discuss.
Last edited by TheFlyingCaterham on 30 Sep 2014, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Rob Dylan

Re: 2014 Japanese Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Rob Dylan »

No-one is more surprised than me that Kamui's gotten this far. Famous last words, but at least he's going to be able to do his home race before either he's replaced or the team withdraw, which is nice.

Unfortunately, though foregone conclusions have been thrown back in everyone's faces this year at some point, I think it's foregone that Hamilton is simply going to destroy the end of this championship the same way Vettel did last year.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Boomstick

Re: 2014 Japanese Grand Prix Discusuchsion Thread

Post by Boomstick »

Will my couch rock up before the race? The factory in Adelaide that was making it caught fire and I still haven't had a house warming for my new house because....I have no couch. Its been going on since July.

/its a serious issue.
//No I don't think Seb will do well
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'm not sure what I like more the name 'Boomstick' or his post :D
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Boomstick wrote:Will my couch rock up before the race? The factory in Adelaide that was making it caught fire and I still haven't had a house warming for my new house because....I have no couch. Its been going on since July.

/its a serious issue.

I have to agree with you as it is a really serious issue. No one should be allowed to experiment watching F1 at home without a couch. You could have chairs but it is clearly not the same thing. They are rough and distract you from listening Hamilton whine or that absolute rejectful moment involving Gutierrez that won't have replays. Watching F1 at home and couches go hand to hand like peanut butter and jelly.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
TheFlyingCaterham

DanielPT wrote:
Boomstick wrote:Will my couch rock up before the race? The factory in Adelaide that was making it caught fire and I still haven't had a house warming for my new house because....I have no couch. Its been going on since July.

/its a serious issue.

I have to agree with you as it is a really serious issue. No one should be allowed to experiment watching F1 at home without a couch. You could have chairs but it is clearly not the same thing. They are rough and distract you from listening Hamilton whine or that absolute rejectful moment involving Gutierrez that won't have replays. Watching F1 at home and couches go hand to hand like peanut butter and jelly.

You could always use a bed ;)
Although, you could fall asleep and miss moments liek what Daniel said :P
Also, don't forget about Maldonado crashing :D

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:You could always use a bed ;)
Although, you could fall asleep and miss moments liek what Daniel said :P
Also, don't forget about Maldonado crashing :D

As you said a bed will sneakily trap you into a gentle but unwelcome sleep. You won't want that when watching F1. A couch is the virtue in this case. You will just want to verify it isn't much confortable though. Some can be more of sneaky bastards than bed are when it comes to convince you into sleeping.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

I still prefer the old 130R, and it's safer for bikes, as it is reduce the cornering speed
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

/its a serious issue.

It's a pity, if the couch had caught fire after it was delivered to your house you'd have had a truly spectacular house-warming party.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DanielPT wrote:

/its a serious issue.

Some excellent points there DanielPT, but let's go more in-depth with some technical analysis of the performance loss Boomstick is suffering with that couch upgrade failing to materialise so far this season;

As you can clearly see from the heat maps, the projected Sofa upgrade was expected to solve the crippling reliability issues suffered so far this season, but as that simply hasn't materialised, Boomstick is still stuck on the opening map; with the overheating in the early phases of the race which simply do not dissapate, thanks to the rigid structure of the early-season chair package that was hastily put together when the sofa upgrade failed to appear, more often than not he is forced to retire to an early bath, unable to see out the rest of the Grand Prix. It's a real shame, and it's hurting his performance badly - he only score three out of ten at the last pub quiz on the F1 round.

Back to you in the studio.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Verstappen is driving in Friday practice. Is it just me that feels really scared for him? This is way too much too soon.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

LellaLombardi wrote:Verstappen is driving in Friday practice. Is it just me that feels really scared for him? This is way too much too soon.

I think he'll be just fine, to be honest, although I do agree that it's probably too early for him. I can imagine he's spending a lot of time in the simulator; although it's not much of a substitute of the real thing I think he should be able to handle himself okay. That said, Suzuka's a tricky circuit to make your debut on.

From what I hear anyway, he's pretty clued up on the workings of the car anyway; before he had THAT shunt on his little demo run in the Netherlands, he stopped doing donuts because he'd noticed the oil temperature was too high.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Biscione, have you any graphics relating to bean-bags or futons?
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:Biscione, have you any graphics relating to bean-bags or futons?

The analysis I can make is that Futons are accepted as a couch replacement if you do not have immediate access or space to put one couch. I highly discourage bean-bags, since they cannot retain the optimal position for long enough to properly watch a GP. Things get worse in the longer ones like Singapore. Maybe Biscione can back it up with some proper scientific evidence.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Bean-bags? C'mon guys, we're men, not 4 year olds...

Now boomstick, what I would recommend is getting a long coffee table (or another table, as long as it's longer than you are tall) and covering it with blankets, cushions and the like and then lie on it to watch the Grand Prix. Thanks to the pillows an blankets it should be fairly comfy, but you won't be able to nod off as it's a wooden table. Problem solved.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I'm going to miss this GP and watch later. Suzuka doesn't produce good races since... I don't remember when occurred the last good race. :(
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116084

So Catheram are really hopefull that their new upgrade for Suzuka will lift them ahead of Marussia in terms of raw pace.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

It's nice to have a rare occasion where Suzuka doesn't clash with the Bathurst 1000, so I am particularly looking forward to this race this year!
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:

Bean-bags? C'mon guys, we're men, not 4 year olds..

In your face!Image

Anyway.

I have a feeling Red Bull or even Williams may take advantage of an overly-cautious Merc squad this weekend. With HamilBerg watching each other like hawks I think they may be a little bit slower than normal.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:

Bean-bags? C'mon guys, we're men, not 4 year olds..

In your face![img]img[/img]

I wouldn't even look twice at that girl if I saw her on the street, yet somehow she looks extremely hot on that pic! :ugeek:
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:Bean-bags? C'mon guys, we're men, not 4 year olds..

In your face![img]img[/img]

I wouldn't even look twice at that girl if I saw her on the street, yet somehow she looks extremely hot on that pic! :ugeek:

How many parsecs do you reckon she can do the Kessel Run in? I bet she can do less than 12...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Now boomstick, what I would recommend is getting a long coffee table (or another table, as long as it's longer than you are tall) and covering it with blankets, cushions and the like and then lie on it to watch the Grand Prix. Thanks to the pillows an blankets it should be fairly comfy, but you won't be able to nod off as it's a wooden table. Problem solved.

There is a better solution.

if this can't materialise, just take the passenger seat out of your car and mate it to a wooden frame like so for plenty of manly style...

Problem solved
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:How many parsecs do you reckon she can do the Kessel Run in? I bet she can do less than 12...

What if she asked you to punch it? :shock:
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

DanielPT wrote:I have to agree with you as it is a really serious issue. No one should be allowed to experiment watching F1 at home without a couch. You could have chairs but it is clearly not the same thing.

Am I the only one here who actually prefers an armchair?

By the way, any news on Caterham's dispute with Pirelli? Because if Kamui (and Marcus) can't race... :evil:
#FreeGonzo
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:How many parsecs do you reckon she can do the Kessel Run in? I bet she can do less than 12...

And, of course, I guess I have to be "that person" who points out that the parsec is an astronomical unit of length rather than speed...

Simtek wrote:By the way, any news on Caterham's dispute with Pirelli? Because if Kamui (and Marcus) can't race... :evil:

Caterham have officially denied that there is any dispute between themselves and Pirelli, so ostensibly they are going to be racing as per normal.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

Simtek wrote:By the way, any news on Caterham's dispute with Pirelli? Because if Kamui (and Marcus) can't race... :evil:

Caterham have officially denied that there is any dispute between themselves and Pirelli, so ostensibly they are going to be racing as per normal.[/quote]
Because officially denying something makes it false. Can we give Caterham PR 101 lessons please?
mario

Post by mario »

mrfakeboullier wrote:
mario wrote:

Caterham have officially denied that there is any dispute between themselves and Pirelli, so ostensibly they are going to be racing as per normal.

Because officially denying something makes it false. Can we give Caterham PR 101 lessons please?

Well, as far as I am aware the more reputable reporters are yet to back up the claims that there is a dispute between Pirelli and Caterham, so at the very least the story should be described as unproven.
That isn't to say that Caterham are entirely out of the woods - Adam Cooper has written some posts suggesting that Caterham might have racked up a lot more unpaid bills than Fernandes was willing to admit to and are only now coming to light - but the claims of a dispute between themselves and Pirelli are still not certain.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

mario wrote:

And, of course, I guess I have to be "that person" who points out that the parsec is an astronomical unit of length rather than speed...

Someone also noted that inaccuracy in the Family Guy adaptation.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

good_Ralf wrote:
mario wrote:

Someone also noted that inaccuracy in the Family Guy adaptation.

C'mon guys, the Kessel Run is a trade route, duh. He meant that he'd done it in a really short distance, a.k.a. really fast. So the shorter the distance traveled, when you go at light-speed (ludicriouspeed), the faster you get to the destination.

*Leans back on bean-bag*
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

roblomas52 wrote:

There is a better solution.

if this can't materialise, just take the passenger seat out of your car and mate it to a wooden frame like so for plenty of manly style...

Problem solved

I have some Tesla Roadster seats and they are pretty spectacular for doing work in. I also have a spare Lotus Elise seat that is about the most comfortable seat I've ever sat in, but it's a special edition seat so I'm not sure if I want to use the seat as a chair or wrap it up and store it away.
TheFlyingCaterham

Re: 2014 Japanese Grand Prix + Couch Discussion Thread

I has changed the thread title to make it more appropriate for our views on seating appliances :)

AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

My driver's seat in my '91 Celica collapsed so it wouldn't stay upright a couple of years ago. I bought two replacement seats from the wreckers (they came as a set) and replaced both seats, so I still had a spare passenger seat that was fine. I was planning to turn it into an office seat but then my sister bought something pretty similar to this for me:

It's still the most comfortable office chair I've ever sat in.

The Celica seats are super-comfy too, especially because I'm pretty slim and the bucket seats caress my hips like a lover.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Is it me or has this forum become crazier than usual lately?
#FreeGonzo
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Simtek wrote:Is it me or has this forum become crazier than usual lately?

There is definitely a more light hearted atmosphere to the forum recently. I really think it is great as it reminds me of the old days before I was a regular poster.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:There is definitely a more light hearted atmosphere to the forum recently. I really think it is great as it reminds me of the old days before I was a regular poster.

:lol: You could interpret your comment as things got less light hearted once you started being a regular poster. I'm sure that isnt true RDD!

I am hoping Verstappen does well this weekend but I think his attendance is being over-stated somewhat, much like Wolffs was at Silverstone.
Just For One Day...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

AustralianStig wrote:The Celica seats are super-comfy too, especially because I'm pretty slim and the bucket seats caress my hips like a lover.

This is the sort of thing I like to wake up in the morning and read! Brilliant! The world would be a simpler place if we just replaced girls with comfy chairs wouldn't it? :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I don't know about that. Although she looks quite confortable with it as it is...

roblomas52 wrote:if this can't materialise, just take the passenger seat out of your car and mate it to a wooden frame like so for plenty of manly style...

[img]Rover%20seats[/img]

Problem solved

You solve your problems with Rover seats? It's difficult, but I think I can come up with something better like two coupled woodboards with nails on them.

AndreaModa wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:The Celica seats are super-comfy too, especially because I'm pretty slim and the bucket seats caress my hips like a lover.

This is the sort of thing I like to wake up in the morning and read! Brilliant! The world would be a simpler place if we just replaced girls with comfy chairs wouldn't it? :lol:

People are raving about Celica seats but only because they never sat on Volvo S80s rear seats. Although it ain't no couch, that's for sure.

And AndreaModa, just for you to know, girls can be comfy too!
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

Aww nuts, you beat me to the comfy girl comment!!

[Spinal Tap]The bigger cushion, the deeper the pushing.[/Spinal Tap]

Suzuka is an awesome track but the last truly amazing race here was probably 05 burn from the stern by Kimi. Although the 09 race with all the crashes was fairly entertaining too.

I'm looking forward to another opportunity of working out just what are all those plastic things stored on the inside of Spoon curve. Is it a Portaloo storage facility or are they growing plastic motorway barriers or something. Can't make them out from Google Maps but you always see them in the race coverage. I may have to #askcrofty.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=lowthe ... a=N&tab=wl
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

BigG80 wrote:https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=lowtherville%20reservoir%20isle%20of%20wight&hl=en-GB&gbv=2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Going to the Isle of Wight?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

Ooh how weird. I had been looking at the IoW but then I typed in Suzuka and it didn't update the address bar. Peculiar.