Best fictional circuits

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Captain Hammer

Best fictional circuits

Post by Captain Hammer »

One of the most oft-quoted complaints about Formula 1 of late is that it is becoming more and more like a video game. And at the same time, people are regularly unimpressed by modern circuit design. After seeing these complaints time and time again, a thought occurred to me: why not?

Building a racing circuit is an expensive undertaking, and there is no real formula that guarantees success; indeed, I think Tilke's biggest problem is that he tries to break quality racing down into a mathematical equation. But since video games are virtual, it's far easier to create fantastic circuits, and so this made me wonder - are there any circuits from video games that you would like to see built in some way, shape or form?

Personally, there are some in GRID AUTOSPORT that I think would be phenomenal - the Champs-Elyesse layout in Paris, and Marina Gate in Barcelona. Both are a mix of rhythmic sweepers broken up by heavy braking zones and the odd blind crest or corner that are lots of fun to drive (in the right car).
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
AustralianStig

Re: Best fictional circuits

Post by AustralianStig »

Trial Mountain and Grand Valley Speedway from Gran Turismo without a doubt.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

Karjala for NR2003.
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

On this topic I think this is what makes the Abu Dhabi track so disappointing. With the money that they pumped into it they really could have done something epic, but the most radical thing they did was have a pitlane that goes under the track - cool, but so much potential missed.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Cape ring, especially the outer course.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

For a few years now, I have been a member of an online forum which specializes in fantasy racetrack design. Some people draw their tracks with computer graphics, some by hand (like me, but there are not many left of those who do) and some even go to the length of transferring a design by themselves with a software called Bob's Track Builder to make it raceable in a computer game (!)

The archive of the forum http://tentenths.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59 is full of great (and not-so-great) fictional track designs. And a large number of those have much better flow and more beautiful corner shapes than what Bureau Tilke has come up with in recent years. Yet, Tilke's influence can clearly be felt amongst modern day fantasy track designs as well.

Feel free to have a look into the archive and discuss your favourites :-) (I guess they are not likely to be designed by me because I haven't come up with any in a long time, mostly due to other priorities).

Too bad Tilke's circuits have gotten so formulaic. He basically tries to put the same features into every track, and those are a stadium section, long straights with sharp corners on both ends, an Esses section of corners with varying radius and camber, corners inspired by Istambul Park's Turn 8, and chicanes consisting of tight and sharp turns. This way, aero efficiency is paramount on all of them, and thus, the one constructor who has figured out best how to win at Barcelona is the most likely to win at all of them. Tilke does not design his circuits with the variety of the F1 calendar in mind, but with the owners in mind who want a little bit of everything. So they get a little bit of everything, with the result that their property will not turn into a new Brands Hatch, not a new Dijon-Prenois, not a new Spa-Francorchamps, but a new Shanghai International maybe.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Gran Turismo 1 version of Special Stage Route 11, where the track uses the underpass with that bastard of a chicane.

/thread
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

FullMetalJack wrote:Gran Turismo 1 version of Special Stage Route 11, where the track uses the underpass with that bastard of a chicane.

/thread

...yep. I gotta agree here.

AustralianStig wrote:Trial Mountain and Grand Valley Speedway from Gran Turismo without a doubt.

These can flank SS11 on the podium.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

On top of the aforementioned Gran Turismo circuits (Grand Valley, Trial Mountain, SSR11 and Cape Ring) I would add Deep Forest Raceway, Red Rock Valley, Grindelwald (hugely underrated IMO), Apricot Hill, Rome Night, Seattle, El Capitan and Costa di Amalfi (and probably a few others I'm forgetting!). I also like the new Circuito de la Sierra so far.
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

SSR11,
Ataxia wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:Gran Turismo 1 version of Special Stage Route 11, where the track uses the underpass with that bastard of a chicane.

/thread

...yep. I gotta agree here.

Same here.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

My favourite fictional tracks are:

Cape Ring
Red Rock Valley
Seattle
SSR11
High Speed Ring
Autumn Ring

All from GT cos GT is awesome. HWNSNBM made it awesome :)
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Baby Park
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Camino Vejo de Montserrat from Forza 4
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I should also mention Carrier Zone from Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Hot Air Skyway from Crash Team Racing
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

This might sound like an odd one, but there are some fantastic roads in GRAND THEFT AUTO V, even if they're not circuits.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

El Capitan from the old GT games was beast, as is Deep Forest Raceway.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

My favourite fictional track is Tiburon Raceway in PSP's NASCAR game. 1 lap in 12-13 seconds, and the pitlane is longer than the racetrack, running underneath the grandstands...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TheFlyingCaterham

dr-baker wrote:My favourite fictional track is Tiburon Raceway in PSP's NASCAR game. 1 lap in 12-13 seconds, and the pitlane is longer than the racetrack, running underneath the grandstands...

I can still race on that circuit if I want :) Good ol' NASCAR 09

I have also seen an older version of Tiburon that is 3 miles long, runs clockwise, and the turns are banked at 40 degees.

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Citta di Aria and New York Street Circuit from GT4, with Apricot Hill and Mid-field on the side :D
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

GT has always had the best fictional circuits. Trial Mountain will always be my favourite, but Deep Forest is close behind and absolutely beast on a bike in Tourist Trophy (the motorbike equivalent of Gran Turismo).

Never got the fuss over SSR11 in Gran Turismo. If you like that, why don't you also rave about Complex String?

Others I can remember are Loch Lomond from TOCA 2 and Chalk Canyon from Destruction Derby 2.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
TheFlyingCaterham

watka wrote: Others I can remember are Loch Rannoch from TOCA 2 and Chalk Canyon from Destruction Derby 2.

Fixed :)
ANd yeah, Loch Rannoch is pretty fun, going over those jumps and exploring those very narrow lanes for alternate routes. And the jumps :)

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:
watka wrote: Others I can remember are Loch Rannoch from TOCA 2 and Chalk Canyon from Destruction Derby 2.

Fixed :)
ANd yeah, Loch Rannoch is pretty fun, going over those jumps and exploring those very narrow lanes for alternate routes. And the jumps :)

I will add to that Misty Loch off of Ferrari Racing Legends. Scottish, long, fast, twisty and feckin' dangerous.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

The Sunob bonus track on F1 1997 was a monster of a track as well. Elevation changes, fair few fast curves; I found it a hugely enjoyable and rewarding track, with the slight exception of the fiddly final few corners.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Apart from most GT tracks, I have one soft spot for Dinosaur Canyon (Daytona USA). :D
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

watka wrote:Never got the fuss over SSR11 in Gran Turismo. If you like that, why don't you also rave about Complex String?

I forgot about Complex String! I loved testing cars on it. That had just about everything.
#FreeGonzo
TheFlyingCaterham

Simtek wrote:
watka wrote:Never got the fuss over SSR11 in Gran Turismo. If you like that, why don't you also rave about Complex String?

I forgot about Complex String! I loved testing cars on it. That had just about everything.

Those Esses over the humps were the best :)

Beat that, Tilke!

FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I always thought Seattle Circuit would have made a good alternative to Detroit and Phoenix for the F1 cars in those days.
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

My all time favorites are seoul and high speed ring
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I've always liked Autumn ring.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Midfield Raceway from GT3/4. It reminded me of a better AIDA.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital