Singapore GP ROTR

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
roblo97

Singapore GP ROTR

Post by roblo97 »

The official ROTR thread for the Singapore GP.

Nominations so far...

Rosberg's car
Stewards
Adrian Sutil
Fireworks
Team Radio Rules
F1 Strategists
Manchester United
Sauber
TV Director
Track Limits
AxelP800
Caterham
Ferrari/Red Bull AND ESPECIALLY WILLIAMS strategies
David Coulthard
Lotus Pit Crew
Last edited by roblo97 on 22 Sep 2014, 17:35, edited 7 times in total.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
LukeB

Re: Singapore GP ROTR

Post by LukeB »

Rosburgs Car, because in a dull race it's the only thing that caught my interest.
Making up the numbers
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Adrian Sutil:
Sweet Jesus Adrian. When you get #rekt by Guti in qualifying, and then pull that stunt on Pérez in the race, you deserve the RoTR. Not that just that. It's stupid if Sauber keep Sutil for next year... He doesn't deserve his place right now on the grid.

Stewards:
TRACK LIMITS EVERYWHERE. Put walls there. Problem solved.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

F1 Strategists!

Like 15 laps from home I was able to see that the laptimes were becoming so stupidly slow that it would be better for the guys on the harder tyre to pit, switch to the softer one and overtake the crawls in front! I'm amazed that no one even tried - Räikkönen was the obvious candidate, as he had the pace but had been stuck in the pack the whole race. In the end Vergne, who wasn't even on the softer tyre but had pitted 18 laps or so from the end because he had to take on the two compounds, picked up people who were ahead of him before his final stop.

I can see why people wouldn't want to do it, overtaking at Singapore is extremely difficult and in fact it took Vergne a while to start passing people, but for no one to try it? Seriously??
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

Adrian Sutil- Made only two notable appearances this weekend and they were him running Perez into the wall and pulling into the garage to retire. Anonymous and ultimately slower than Gutierrez, which takes some doing
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Nico Rosberg's car - We may as well give this title to Hammy now.
Stewards - I loathe them generally anyway, but they were bloody awful today. If you don't want people to exceed track limits, stick more walls up.
Fireworks - Yeah, let's let them off when there are still cars racing for position...
Adrian Sutil - What an asshat.

But ROTR has to go to:

Team radio rules - Nobody had the faintest clue what was legal and what wasn't in this race. What a clusterbathplug.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Adrian Sutil - Why is this guy still in F1!? He's supposed to be leading Sauber with his experience, and Gutierrez being, well, Gutierrez. But instead it was Gutierrez who was looking at points, for the third time this season after Monaco and Hungary. Sutil hasn't once been in contention for points, and has been making silly errors like the one that took off Perez's wing and brought out the safety car. Just kick him out and put a pay driver in the car, seriously, you can't do much worse.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
mario

Post by mario »

Miguel98 wrote:Adrian Sutil:
Sweet Jesus Adrian. When you get #rekt by Guti in qualifying, and then pull that stunt on Pérez in the race, you deserve the RoTR. Not that just that. It's stupid if Sauber keep Sutil for next year... He doesn't deserve his place right now on the grid.

Stewards:
TRACK LIMITS EVERYWHERE. Put walls there. Problem solved.

It certainly wasn't Sutil's finest race, and you could see the people in the garage visibly sag with disappointment when he clipped Perez - it's as if both his motivation and driving standards are just plummeting.

East Londoner wrote:Nico Rosberg's car - We may as well give this title to Hammy now.
Stewards - I loathe them generally anyway, but they were bloody awful today. If you don't want people to exceed track limits, stick more walls up.
Fireworks - Yeah, let's let them off when there are still cars racing for position...
Adrian Sutil - What an asshat.

But ROTR has to go to:

Team radio rules - Nobody had the faintest clue what was legal and what wasn't in this race. What a clusterbathplug.

I wouldn't exactly say that we could hand the title to Hamilton - Hamilton is only three points ahead and potentially short on engine mileage, so Nico is still very much in the title fight.

I'd agree that the radio rules have been a total mess - you could argue that they might warrant something more than just a ROTR, because it's pretty stupid when the FIA is having to clarify the rules midway through the weekend.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Adrian Sutil - Has Gutierrez and Sutil switched names for this weekend of something? Abysmal performance. Shocking. Firmly putting him in the race for ROTY, but his performance could definitely be the worst drive all season.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Sutil in Singapore:

First person to pit, on fresh tires he undercut...Nobody. Then he drove like a toss bag was far too aggressive and fenced Perez, before calling it day.

second nomination is for Sauber in general, but I feel this almost par for the course for them now.
Message me on Discord.
girry

Post by girry »

The FIA deserves this twice. You couldn't have introduced the team radio "ban" more ineffectively, and penalizing Vergne for getting pushed off after seemingly having tried a healthier approach for the Monza race is just brilliant.
when you're dead people start listening
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

I'm trying to think of a reason to not give this to Adrian Sutil...

Yep, I've got nothing.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

As per the reasons in the posts above, Sutil
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Reject Of The Race goes to... Manchester United. Every few minutes, Five Live deemed it necessary to break away from the F1 commentary and tell us what was going on in Leicester, so as well as following the race I heard the once-unassailable team from Oop North (with all their support in London) throw away a 3-1 lead at newly-promoted Leicester to end up losing 5-3. Someone fetch a needle and thread for David Moyes, because I think his sides have split.

Such a performance in the race itself can only be mirrored by Sauber... again. Only minutes after James Allen was telling us how Keke Rosberg had carefully schooled his son in not throwing the toys out of the pram when a race didn't go his way, Esteban Gutiérrez did exactly that, leaving the entire contents of Singapore's branch of Toys 'R' Us strewn all over the garage. Adrian Sutil, meanwhile... mirror, signal, bash. And all this at a time when the car has clearly improved, is at least a second a lap faster than a Marussia, probably faster than the rapidly backpedalling Team Enstone as well, but they've both got points on the board, Sauber haven't, and time is really running out now...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Easily the Stewards. Magnussen forced Bottas off-track in Monza, in an incident that even Bottas said it was a race incident. Result? Time penalty. Sutil just threw Perez in the wall, destroying his the front wing and triggered the safety car. What he got? Nothing! Despite producing way worse results.

It's clear the double standard of F1 stewards. The punishments are determined if certain drivers are involved or not in an incident.

Special mention for TV Director, for another awful performance, missing a lot of action, especially in the end of the race, when Bottas was holding everyone. We want to see driver battling in the track, not fireworks.

Sauber deserves a mention too. Double retirement, Gutierrez's rage in the box and Sutil's awful performance. Nothing good. At least Sutil saved the race to be a huge boredom.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Dj_bereta wrote:Special mention for TV Director, for another awful performance, missing a lot of action, especially in the end of the race, when Bottas was holding everyone. We want to see driver battling in the track, not fireworks.

But they managed to follow Perez as his front exploded on live TV.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Dj_bereta wrote:It's clear the double standard of F1 stewards. The punishments are determined if certain drivers are involved or not in an incident.

I think the problem is Alan Jones was the driver's representative today, and he wasn't in Monza, and Jones is someone who is more supportive of aggressive driving. If we want consistent rulings, we need the same driver as part of the stewards every race, not rotate it around because otherwise we get ridiculous situations where, as you say, Magnussen gets a very harsh penalty for a racing incident and Sutil knocks Perez's wing off and gets away with it
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

1)Adrian Sutil: Quite frankly, even Ericsson showed better than him against a wounded Rosberg.

2)Strategy: What were Red Bull and Ferrari thinking?

Dishonorable mentions to Reliability (why on Nico-Nico and Cowboy?) and track limits (everywhere!)

The Karma is a B!tch Award goes to Nico Rosberg: The Cosmic Joke collecting Spa-Gate on Nico
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Adrian Sutil - The guy has no place in F1 anymore.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

And my nominations are:

The FIA: Remember when you banned team orders? Remember how that worked out? Right, so what made you think taking similar measures on performance-related radio instructions would also work?
The stewards: Barely a lap went by when a driver wasn't under investigation for disobeying track limits. Granted some of it was justified (e.g. Alonso at the start) but there were more examples where drivers went off the track and gained little to no advantage than there were of drivers going over the white line and setting purple sector times or passing other cars.
Nico Rosberg's Mercedes: Everything went wrong with that car seemingly. The gearbox wasn't working, the DRS wasn't working, the clutch wasn't working, the ERS wasn't working. Hell, I'm surprised the engine and brakes didn't catch fire!
Adrian Sutil: Kudos for bringing out Singapore's obligatory safety car but my god man, you didn't have to destroy Pérez's front wing!
#FreeGonzo
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Sutil. Rubbish performance stupid incident with Perez and outshone by Gutierrez. What more can I say?
Zergon

Post by Zergon »

I have to give this one to Sauber, now granded, Gutierrez was didn´t really do anything wrong (except the temper tantrum after retiring) but once again, both cars were out of the race before the finish (and because of technical problems) and Sutil.... well I don´t think I need to repeat what have been said on earlier posts already.

Dis(honorable mentions:)

While I usually don´t like to take account anything that happens outside of the race, FIA has to get a special mention this time around for that banning team radio mess where no one seemed to know for sure what´s legal and what isn´t. At least there wasn´t any penalties handed from that like I expected but still.

EDIT: Ok so Kvyat´s drink bottle appearantly failed before the race even started so no wonder he didn´t have that great of a race. Obviously not rejectful performance then as he still managed to finish the race so just forget what I said about him. :oops:
Last edited by Zergon on 21 Sep 2014, 16:04, edited 2 times in total.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Zergon wrote:There´s actually not much else that I really find reject worthy but I´m going to mention Daniil Kvyat, as he had pretty bad race when compared to teammate. I´m not sure what went wrong there but he started ahead of Vergne, Vergne got two five second penalties during the race and they had same amount of stops and still, Vergne was 6th while Kvyat was 14th even behind both Lotus drivers. Granded, I might be bit over harsh here as Kvyat is a rookie but he´s driven so well that this had to be a disappointing race for him.

His drinks bottle failed part way through the race, and he was suffering from dehydration.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

East Londoner wrote:
Zergon wrote:There´s actually not much else that I really find reject worthy but I´m going to mention Daniil Kvyat, as he had pretty bad race when compared to teammate. I´m not sure what went wrong there but he started ahead of Vergne, Vergne got two five second penalties during the race and they had same amount of stops and still, Vergne was 6th while Kvyat was 14th even behind both Lotus drivers. Granded, I might be bit over harsh here as Kvyat is a rookie but he´s driven so well that this had to be a disappointing race for him.

His drinks bottle failed part way through the race, and he was suffering from dehydration.

apple2009 in the main race discussion thread wrote:K-Mag and Daniil are dying.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

SeedStriker wrote:2)Strategy: What were Red Bull and Ferrari thinking?

To be fair to those teams, I do think that their strategy call made a fair amount of sense - the opening phases of the race showed that, in a straight fight, Hamilton had a slight pace advantage given that he was able to manage his tyre wear reasonably well, or at least better than Vettel (who was next on the road behind him), and save fuel at the same time, not to mention how Hamilton bolted from the pack on the restart.
Because of that pace advantage, running the same strategy as Hamilton means that, ultimately, you're not going to make up any ground to him, so the only way that you could get past him would be to run a different strategy.

Given that the safety car periods at Singapore tend to be fairly lengthy, especially when lapped traffic is trying to catch the pack, and the fact that Button's pace earlier in the race suggested the soft tyres were hanging on for longer than anticipated, I can see why they gambled on pitting under the safety car, bolting on the soft tyres and hoping that they could hang on for long enough - particularly if the race was going to be timed out due to the safety car, therefore cutting the number of laps over which Hamilton could build his gap.

After all, the threat from behind is limited because the next cars on track were the Williams duo; both of them were on even older tyres and both also trying to eke it out until the end (and, as it was, Massa finished half a minute behind those three). You're not really going to lose out to other teams, so the worst that will happen is that you simply end up back in the place you were to begin with, and Rosberg's problems at the start suggested that Mercedes are still not fully on top of their reliability issues.

In which case, you might as well gamble on putting Hamilton in a position where he has to push harder than he would like - some of the radio calls suggested he was anxious about whether his tyres would hold up for long enough - and hope that he either makes a mistake or the car breaks due to Hamilton having to push so hard.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Zergon

Post by Zergon »

East Londoner wrote:

Yeah, just read that it actually failed before the start (or that´s what BBC says) so... yeah, guess I should learn to wait a bit before passing judgments. So no dishorable mention to Kvyat then. :)
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

ROTR goes for anyone who nominates an ROTR/ROTRs. Why Because there's nothing very bad happened. Why too? Because I'm controversial ;)
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

AxelP800 wrote:ROTR goes for anyone who nominates an ROTR/ROTRs. Why Because there's nothing very bad happened. Why too? Because I'm controversial ;)

So, in your opinion, Sutil drove with the grace and air of Prost? :P
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

I nominate AxelP800 and Rosberg's car.
mario

Post by mario »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:ROTR goes for anyone who nominates an ROTR/ROTRs. Why Because there's nothing very bad happened. Why too? Because I'm controversial ;)

I'd say that Magnussen requiring medical treatment for minor burns due to something overheating in his cockpit would at least count as something bad happening during the race. In fact, it has to be said that McLaren didn't have a great race - Button's car had a major electronics failure whilst he was running fairly strongly in the points and Magnussen ended up being injured by his own car, neither of which are exactly great outcomes...
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

1. Sutil
2. Stewards.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Sutil sucked
Just For One Day...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Adrian Sutil: Good lord he's terrible.
FIA: As long as the teams are allowed to tell the drivers who to pass, who not to pass, and to tell them about team orders, the drivers will still appear robotic. As long as team orders are allowed, the drivers will still appear to be robots.
Stewards: You know what solves track limits problems? Concrete walls. A race car cannot argue with a concrete wall. Move the walls closer to the track, and then this problem will fix iteself. Also... they seem to have it out for K-Mags and for nobody else.
Nico Rosberg's Car: Great time to fail. Title is Hamilton's to lose, I reckon... also, notice how many wins Rosberg has lost since Belgium? #conspiracytheoristsstandup
Caterham: Kobash's F1 career likely ended with a DNS.

I fell asleep midway through the race and have no reason to go back and watch the rest of it.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

AxelP800 wrote:Because I'm controversial ;)

That's not controversial. Thats just dumb. You're trying to pull my schtichk and failing miserably. Put the keyboard down and rethink your life.

Anyway, my RotR nomination goes tooo.... Ferrari/Red Bull AND ESPECIALLY WILLIAMS strategies. You can find my expanded explanation in the main race thread.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I agree with all the Sutil nominations but want to say Sauber as a whole for Gutierrez's fit of rage. That really made me laugh. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

My ROTR choices:

Sutil: Yes, I know Force India's are mainly black but that's no excuse for running into them. They have feelings too, you know.

Rosberg's Car: I mean, when a top running car is stuck behing Marussia and Caterham, you know there is something wrong. This will be a race to forget for Rosberg.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

DonTirri wrote:Anyway, my RotR nomination goes tooo.... Ferrari/Red Bull AND ESPECIALLY WILLIAMS strategies. You can find my expanded explanation in the main race thread.

Really? Three teams with three different strategies and you feel all were wrong? I'd love to know what genius strategy you've come up with that would have given 1-2 finishes for Ferrari, Red Bull and Williams...
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

AustralianStig wrote:
DonTirri wrote:Anyway, my RotR nomination goes tooo.... Ferrari/Red Bull AND ESPECIALLY WILLIAMS strategies. You can find my expanded explanation in the main race thread.

Really? Three teams with three different strategies and you feel all were wrong? I'd love to know what genius strategy you've come up with that would have given 1-2 finishes for Ferrari, Red Bull and Williams...

They didn't beat Hamilton, that's his problem.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
W12

Post by W12 »

1. Sutil
2. The FIA
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
Rocks with Salt

Post by Rocks with Salt »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

Nicolas Prost, yes.
...in bed.

1998 Monaco GP wrote:Murray Walker: A lot of people here are really debating if Riccardo Rosset is Formula 1 material.
Martin Brundle: Well, that's a fairly short debate, Murray.