My Virtual Racing Career

Archive for the three above subforums
cart00

My Virtual Racing Career

Post by cart00 »

I am (re)starting and sharing my virtual racing career.
I haven't played any sim racing for almost seven years now and as I am getting married next year I decided to play one more time (maybe the last time).

Game: Champcar challenge 2000-2005
I don't have a wheel and pedals so I will be using a keyboard, which means I will be playing with most assists on. That's the reason I will be racing few ovals.

Tracks: there are many faulty tracks with bad aiw, so I did not include many famous tracks on the calendar. I also made some tweaks to the tracks aiw (modifying the worst adjust, mid adjust, best adjust lines) as I will be playing with 113% difficulty or ai strength. I tried to find a constant performance for every track so that I can match the speed of ai cars.

Calendar: I am trying to keep the American specific of Cart/Champcar while also creating a world series.
Cart 2000
1. St. Petersburg (street circuit)
2. Loudon/New Hampshire (oval)
3. Detroit/Belle Isle (street circuit)
4. Road Atlanta (road course)
5. Indianapolis GP circuit (road course)
6. Toronto (street circuit)
7. Montreal (road course)
8. Barber Motorsport Park (road course)
9. Motegi (oval)
10. Albert Park (well I don't know what this is)
11. Kyalami (road course)
12. Hockenheim (2002 version, road course)
13. Rio (oval)
14. Portland (road course)
15. Road America (road course)
16. Laguna Seca (road course)
17. Long Beach (street circuit)
cart00

Re: My Virtual Racing Career

Post by cart00 »

Forgot to mention: I am playing the character of Kevin Walters, a Canadian racing driver who has been hired by Team Rahal to drive one of their cars. In the 2000 Cart season I/he will be driving the no. 7 Miller Lite car.

First race: St. Pete.
Free practices: The car was pretty unstable especially in the corners but I was running pretty good being the fifth fastest car.
Qualifying: I got fourth place. Better then I expected. The first four cars covered by one tenth of a second (Michael Andretti, Gil de Ferran, Kenny Brack, Kevin Walters).
Really looking forward to the race.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Couple things I also didn't mention:
- race distance - 35%
- added pit stop strategies to all tracks which resemble more like F1 race strategies, so there are many different strategies used by cars (1-stop, 2-stops, 3-stops)
- decreased fuel tank capacity of all cars (from 133 down to 120)
- changed the points system so that the first ten cars get points separated by one point each except the winner who gets three points more then the second place car (so it looks like this: 12, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1)

First race: St. Petersburg. 37 laps.
I got a good start, passed one car so I was running third the first three laps. As I was trying to keep up with the front runners on lap 4 I got sideways and scraped the wall with the rear of the car exiting turn 10. I got passed by three other cars so I fall back to sixth and held this position till the pit stops.
Pit strategy: I wanted to make a one-stop race but the fuel consumption proved too high so figured I will have to pit twice. I don't remember this track having such a high fuel consumption during the race. Too many cars had run out of fuel.
I first pit on lap 14 and lost couple spots after the pit stops cycled through but I crawled back to sixth in the next ten laps when disaster struck on lap 24: I lost my brakes. I finished 14th.
Conclusion: Too high attrition rate, too many cars ran out of fuel, I think I will not include this track in the next season. I have to find a replacement.
Race results:
1. Michael Andretti
2. Michel Jourdain Jr.
3. Adrian Fernandez
14. Kevin Walters

No points for me in this race.
Next race: Loudon, NH
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Second round: Loudon, NH
Looks like I'm back on track. I was fastest in free practice and qualifying went perfect. I got the pole. For me it's not easy to race ovals with a keyboard. I figure if I won't be able to get away from the pack after the start there's a pretty good chance to be involved in an accident. We'll see.

Qualifying results:

Pole: Kevin Walters
2. Michael Andretti
3. Michel Jourdain Jr.

Teammate Kenny Brack in sixth place.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

cart00 wrote: I figure if I won't be able to get away from the pack after the start there's a pretty good chance to be involved in an accident. We'll see.

Ah, just like Douglas Mann in his NASCAR career!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Well my career is just another of many, no expectations here, just the other folks' careers inspired me to share mine...

The race (Loudon, NH) 80 laps:
It had everything. I started from pole, Andretti followed me closely, we put a gap between us and the rest of the field when I spun on lap 16. It was a complete 360 and I did not hit anything and nobody hit me so I resumed the race. Fall back to sixth and was trying hard to keep up with the cars in front. I used up my tires and fuel so I was the first one to pit at the half mark of the race. It was a slow pit stop lost tons of positions right down to 13th. The real race just started. I went faster lap after lap and passed cars one by one: Franchitti, Tracy, Montoya, da Matta, Vasser. On lap 57 while running 8th I spun again just like the first time. Back to 13th again. In the final ten laps I crawled back to 11th and there was Montoya in front of me. Meanwhile I set the fastest lap of the race. So there I was with two laps to go and I thought I could make it, I could get in the points. On the penultimate lap entering the first corner I got closer to Montoya and kept it close in the second corner and on the back straight. Third corner: I dive bombed him and passed him but ran wide. He did a crossover and was back in front. On the final lap I got loose in the first corner so no pass there but I dive bombed him again in the third corner just like the lap before and was wide again, he moved back in front and the race was over. I finished 11th. No points for me again. But it was a good hard race.

Race results:
Winner: Gil de Ferran
2. Michel Jourdain Jr.
3. Michael Andretti
Teammate Kenny Brack finished 4th.
Next stop: Detroit
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Round 3: Detroit/Belle Isle

Qualifying results:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Kenny Brack
3. Juan Pablo Montoya

My second pole and also second in a row. Championship leader Michael Andretti starts 4th.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

The race (Detroit) 28 laps:
It was a wreck fest. Bad aiw or something. Only six cars had finished the race. This track doesn't need to be added to next season's calendar. Due to slow pit stops I finished 3rd. My first points, my first podium.

Race results:
1. Gil de Ferran
2. Juan Montoya
3. Kevin Walters
Teammate Kenny Brack: DNF. Championship leader Michael Andretti had finished 6th.

Couple considerations: I have created a dry race scenario in every tracks gdb file but in championship mode it doesn't seem to work. In this race it started raining the last two laps. At the beginning of the championship I set the weather to "selected season" which means it should match the tracks gdb file's weather scenario but it doesn't. I also tried to change the weather to "dry" in the save folder plr file right before the race but to no effect. Any suggestions on how to solve this weather thing? The same with flag rules. I've chosen the flag rules "on" option but when I change this to flag rules off in the plr file right before the race it doesn't seem to have any effect. On ovals blue flags are killer so I don't need them. Anyone?
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Round 4: Road Atlanta

One of my least favorite tracks, pretty difficult to master. But managed to get second in qualifying.

Qualifying results:
1. Michael Andretti
2. Kevin Walters
3. Michel Jourdain Jr.
Teammate Kenny Brack: 6th.
Andretti looks really strong this year.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

The race (Road Atlanta)

I won. The first win of the season. Passed Michael Andretti at the start and only gave up the lead during the pit stops. Well I would have never imagined I will win the race on this track.
Race results:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Michel Jourdain Jr.
3. Michael Andretti
Teammate Kenny Brack: DNF

It's bad again. Track is faulty for some reason. Too high fuel consumption, or bad aiw or something, cars run out of fuel. They don't seem to manage their pit stops, they stop a lap too late I guess so they run out of fuel. Track needs to be replaced or "repaired".

Drivers championship standings after four races:
1. Michael Andretti 33 points
2. Michel Jourdain Jr. 27 p.
3. Gil de Ferran 24 p.
4. Kevin Walters 20p.
5. Juan Montoya 16p.
13. Kenny Brack 7p.

Teams championship standings after four races:
1. Newman Haas 41 p.
2. Chip Ganassi 29 p.
3. Team Penske 29 p.
4. Team Rahal 27 p.
5. Bettenhausen 27 p.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Round 5: Indianapolis Grand Prix circuit.

This is one of my favorite tracks. I was fastest in free practices and fastest in qualifying. Another pole, my third one of the season.
Qualifying results:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Michael Andretti
3. Kenny Brack
cart00

Post by cart00 »

The race (Indianapolis GP):
I won the race at Indianapolis. Second race win of the season. Second in a row.

Race results:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Gil de Ferran
3. Kenny Brack
Championship leader Michael Andretti finished 5th due to a 2 stop strategy. Michel Jourdain Jr., second in the championship: DNF. I move up to third in the championship.
Well my posts are just raw data of my career. Statistics. It doesn't matter anyway...
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Ok next two races are in Canada.

Race 6, Toronto:
I couldn't find no speed in the free practices so I was expecting a bad qualifying.
Qualifying results:
1. Michael Andretti
2. Kenny Brack
3. Helio Castroneves
21. Kevin Walters.

I qualified 21st. I was the penultimate car on the grid. Well the race went pretty good. Got a good start, passed cars and by lap 10 I was running as high as 5th due to other cars pitting. Had a good fight with Christian Fittipaldi, hit each other couple of times. Unfortunately on lap 13 I made a mistake and spun in the 5th corner, got hit by Fittipaldi and that was it for both of us. It's a shame, but it happens.

Race results:
1. Michael Andretti
2. Gil de Ferran
3. Patrick Carpentier
4. Kenny Brack
21. Kevin Walters

Looks like Michael Andretti is unstopable.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 7, Montreal:

Had a good pace in free practice. Qualified second.
Qualifying results:
1. Michael Andretti
2. Kevin Walters
3. Kenny Brack.

The race (24 laps):
I was on a 2 stop strategy, Andretti on 2 stops and Brack on a one stopper. Got a good start passed Andretti and led the race. Me, Andretti, Brack. This was the order before the first pit stops. I pitted on lap 9 while Andretti continued on for another lap. He pitted on lap 10 an as he was comming out of the pits we went side by side in turn 2 (Virage Senna) all through to turn 3 and 4 where we touched wheels and he was off rolled over once and into the wall. His race was over. What a shame. I hate when these things happen. It was completely my fault as I didn't back down in that turn. He's got the advantage he was ahead of me by a wheel. It was only the tenth lap not even half way. Well I carried on was running in third place behind Brack an Fittipaldi. On lap 16 the same incident with Fittipaldi in a different area of the track, luckily we both managed to continue the race, he only lost a place. So I was running second as I pitted on lap 19. Next lap I was following Brack who also pitted some laps earlier and we were fighting for the lead when I lost my brakes in the hairpin and went straight into the wall. Race over for me.

Race results:
1. Kenny Brack
2. Paul Tracy
3. Christian Fittipaldi
4. Juan Montoya
5. Jimmy Vasser

Two DNF's in a row. Not good for my championship.
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Your car has really got some Mercedes spec reliability :P
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Your car has really got some Mercedes spec reliability :P

Yea. :). Well I have the mechanical failures set to selected season but I don't have a brake failure in the track's gdb file. So I guess brake failure appears when I set the mechanical failures option to time scaled or selected season. There are no brake failures however when I set the mechanical failures to normal. But then again there are no failures at all which is not very realistic to me. Not that I am looking for the purest realism, I just wanted to add some degree of uknown.

Race 8 - Barber Motorsport Park (30 laps):
Even though it's a difficult track for me I still managed to be fastest by quite a margin in free practice. Qualified second.
Qualifying results:
1. Kenny Brack
2. Kevin Walters
3. Gil de Ferran
4. Alex Tagliani
5. Michael Andretti.
Good result for the team, both cars on the front row. Well I was hoping Andretti would be outside the podium but it didn't happen. He was second. I won. Teammate Kenny Brack: DNF

Race results:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Michael Andretti
3. Alex Tagliani

Drivers championship standings after 8 races:
1. Michael Andretti 60 points
2. Kevin Walters 44
3. Gil de Ferran 43
4. Michel Jourdain Jr. 42
5. Kenny Brack 34

Team championship standings:
1. Team Rahal 78 points
2. Newman Haas 76
3. Team Penske 50
4. Chip Ganassi 46
5. Player's Forsythe 42

I am second in the championship, the team is leading the championship.
Next we are leaving the North American continent and heading towards Japan.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 9 Motegi (70 laps):

Faulty track. It's not going to be on the next year's calendar. Free practice and qualifying was ok. The pace was very similar to the ai cars but in the race they were 2 seconds off the pace. I can't explain why. As I didn't want to win this way I made one extra pit stop than the rest. I ended up 19th. No points.

Qualifying results:
1. Helio Castroneves
2. Kenny Brack
3. Kevin Walters
4. Gil de Ferran
5. Juan Montoya
6. Michael Andretti

Race results:
1. Helio Castroneves
2. Patrick Carpentier
3. Roberto Moreno
12. Michael Andretti
19. Kevin Walters
Kenny Brack: DNF

Next is the Australian round.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Update: looks like I have found another Motegi oval. This one looks to be ok as far as I can tell from testing. No pace difference between me and ai cars. I have also found a new version of Long Beach which doesn't seem to produce so many DNF's so I will be using this one in the championship. I am also thinking about replacing Road Atlanta or Detroit with Indianapolis oval as this one also seems to be working. Looking for other tracks too.

Race 10, Albert Park, Australia (21 laps)
Pace was pretty good in free practice, I was in the top ten. Not so good in qualifying.
Qualifying results:
1. Kenny Brack
2. Jimmy Vasser
3. Gil de Ferran
9. Michael Andretti
15. Kevin Walters

The race: well it was short. On lap 3 I made contact with Tony Kanaan which resulted a DNF for me. Teammate Kenny Brack couldn't turn his qualifying pace into a good result. He was 6th.

Race results:
1. Jimmy Vasser
2. Juan Montoya
3. Michel Jourdain Jr.
6. Kenny Brack
8. Michael Andretti

Well if I could find a working Adelaide track or Surfers Paradise I'd replace Albert Park. But the aforementioned tracks all seem to have some kind of bug, cars hitting the wall at Surfers Paradise, cars stopping at the pit entrance at Adelaide.
Next we go to South Africa.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 11 Kyalami, South Africa (24 laps)

Guess what? I blew it. From pole position. I was leading the race for the first 11 laps, got a good margin. Next lap (the 12th) I was planning to do my only pit stop. As I was exiting turn 2 I went wide got off the track and in the gravel hit the tire barrier. I damaged the suspension so much that I couldn't continue. Had I won this race I would have been back into championship contention.

Anyway here are the statistics:
Qualifying results:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Michael Andretti
3. Gil de Ferran
6. Kenny Brack

Race results:
1. Michael Andretti
2. Michel Jourdain Jr.
3. Juan Montoya
4. Kenny Brack
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 12 Hockenheim, Germany (23 laps)

I was fastest in free practice, fastest in qualifying.
Qualifying results:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Michael Andretti
3. Michel Jourdain Jr.
13. Kenny Brack

I was leading the race when I made a mistake on lap 11 between turns 12 and 13. Got off the track and into the wall. Two mistakes in a row in two races starting from pole. Dammit. Championship is gone.

Race results:
1. Michael Andretti
2. Michel Jourdain Jr.
3. Cristiano da Matta
10. Kenny Brack

Drivers championship standings after 12 races:
1. Michael Andretti 87 points
2. Michel Jourdain Jr. 73
3. Gil de Ferran 64
4. Juan Montoya 51
5. Kenny Brack 47
6. Kevin Walters 44

Teams championship standings after 12 races:
1. Newman Haas 110 points
2. Team Penske 97
3. Team Rahal 91
4. Chip Ganassi 86
5. Bettenhausen 73

Five more races to go.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I have been following this, quite interesting.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:I have been following this, quite interesting.

Thanks. It means a lot to me.

Race 13 Rio Oval, Brazil (51 laps)

My stream of bad luck continues. I won the pole and I was fastest in the race also by quite a margin. Which means I have to make some changes to the track's aiw to make it more competitive. Andretti was second in qualifying, Jourdain Jr. third, teammate Brack fifth. After a good start I was leading the race. Andretti behind me has been involved in some kind of incident with Jourdain Jr and both have fallen back a few positions. This was a two stop race and as usual I use up my fuel faster than the ai cars so I pitted first. So far so good. The other cars pitted I was back in front till the second pit stop. I was caught speeding in the pits so I got a stop and go penalty. I lost a lap and after the other cars pitted I was back in 14th. By now 48 laps have gone. I still had a chance to get at least a point as the four cars in front of me were pretty slow. After passing two cars I was on the back of Oriol Servia's car as we entered turn 3 he was slow and I was fast and bammmm I hit him. Race over for me. No points again. Another problem that I encountered as I said earlier is that if I modify the flag rules to no flag rules in the plr file before the race it doesn't work. This is a problem because having blue flags on an oval it can ruin everybody's race.

Race results:
1. Kenny Brack
2. Juan Montoya
3. Christian Fittipaldi
5. Michael Andretti

Four races to go.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 14 Portland (35 laps)

Victory at last. Well it's not the first one but it certainly feels good to be back on top again. Four pole positions in the last four races. Three DNF's and now a win. Again the same fuel consumption problem as on many other tracks. Many cars ran out of fuel. I don't know how to solve this problem.

Qualifiyng result:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Michael Andretti
3. Juan Montoya
7. Kenny Brack

Race results:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Kenny Brack
3. Michael Andretti

So with three races to go here are the updated championship standings:
Drivers championship standings:
1. Michael Andretti 101 points
2. Gil de Ferran 75
3. Michel Jourdain Jr. 73
4. Kenny Brack 68
5. Juan Montoya 60
6. Kevin Walters 56

Teams championship standings:
1. Newman Haas 139 points
2. Team Rahal 124
3. Team Penske 111
4. Chip Ganassi 102
5. Bettenhausen 73

Three more races to go. Well I don't have any chance to win the title. Let's see if I can get fifth place or if the team can win the championship.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 15 Road America (20 laps)

This is a long race track. I don't like long race tracks. I couldn't really find any speed in the practices so I qualified 17th.
Qualifying results:
1. Juan Montoya
2. Michel Jourdain Jr.
3. Kenny Brack
5. Michael Andretti
17. Kevin Walters

It was better in the warmup somehow I was fifth fastest. I can't really master this track. So I figured if I could do this race on one stop I could get a decent result. So I needed to save fuel which I'm not good at. Anyway the race started and by the first corner I was 15th. In the next couple of laps I passed other cars. On lap 5 I was running 10th. Then disaster struck again. As we started lap 6 I went too hot into the first corner got off the track and hit the wall. How many times I've done that? Too many times. This kind of inconsistency is unacceptable. I need to be more consistent if I want to have any hope of championship. I win races but it's not enough. Consistency is the key.

Races results:
1. Juan Montoya
2. Michael Andretti
3. Mauricio Gugelmin
Teammate Kenny Brack: DNF. So a double DNF for Team Rahal. Not good.

Drivers championship standings after 15 races:
1. Michael Andretti 110 points
2. Gil de Ferran 82
3. Michel Jourdain Jr. 73
4. Juan Montoya 72
5. Kenny Brack 68
6. Kevin Walters 56
7. Jimmy Vasser 42

Teams championship standings after 15 races:
1. Newman Haas 151
2. Team Rahal 124
3. Team Penske 123
4. Chip Ganassi 114
5. Bettenhausen 73

Andretti is the Cart 2000 champion.
Season still not over for me as I want to get that 5th place.
Two more races to go.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 16 Laguna Seca, 28 laps

Forget about fifth place in the championship. I am really good at making mistakes when leading the race. All shot to hell now.
Qualifying results:
1. Juan Montoya
2. Gil de Ferran
3. Helio Castroneves
4. Michael Andretti
5. Kevin Walters
6. Kenny Brack

Well I passed Andretti and Castroneves right at the start. I was running 3rd for eight laps when the two cars in front pitted. They were on a 2 stop strategy. At this moment everything looked ok. Andretti didn't pit so I supposed he was on a 1 stopper. On lap 14 when I was about to pit I was 4 seconds in front of Andretti. In the corkscrew I brake late and couldn't turn in, scraped the wall lost my front wing so the pit stop was much longer the it would've been under normal circumstances. Lost a ton of positions. After rejoining the track I had to push really hard. Mistake after mistake occurred. Went off the track on the Rahal straight right after turn 6, I spun exiting the last corner then I spun again at the corkscrew and got hit from behind by Shinji Nakano. Lost my rear wing lost my engine.

Race results:
1. Michael Andretti
2. Oriol Servia
3. Gil de Ferran
Me and teammate Kenny Brack: DNF.

Championship standings before the final race:
Drivers
1. Michael Andretti 122
2. Gil de Ferran 90
3. Michel Jourdain Jr. 80
4. Juan Montoya 75
5. Kenny Brack 68
6. Kevin Walters 56
7. Jimmy Vasser 43

Teams
1. Newman Haas 163
2. Team Penske 131
3. Team Rahal 124
4. Chip Ganassi 118
5. Bettenhausen 80

Heading towards the final race of the season at Long Beach.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 17 Long Beach, 27 laps.

Last race of the season.
Qualifying results:
1. Juan Montoya
2. Gil de Ferran
3. Michael Andretti
4. Kenny Brack
5. Kevin Walters

The race:
Suspension damage on lap 5. DNF.
Race results:
1. Gil de Ferran
2. Juan Montoya
3. Kenny Brack
4. Michael Andretti

The CART 2000 Championship season is over.
Final championship standings
Drivers:
1. Michael Andretti 129
2. Gil de Ferran 102
3. Juan Montoya 84
4. Michel Jourdain Jr. 83
5. Keny Brack 76
6. Kevin Walters 56
7. Christian Fittipaldi 47
8. Jimmy Vasser 43
9. Helio Castroneves 41
10. Paul Tracy 40
11. Patrick Carpentier 37
12. Cristiano Da Matta 33
13. Oriol Servia 30
14. Mauricio Gugelmin 29
15. Tony Kanaan 26
16. Alex Tagliani 23
17. Dario Franchitti 21
18. Adrian Fernandez 19
19. Mark Blundell 18
20. Roberto Moreno 12
21. Shinji Nakano 9
22. Norberto Fontana 0

Teams:
1. Newman Haas 176
2. Team Penske 143
3. Team rahal 132
4. Chip Ganassi 127
5. Bettenhausen 83
6. PPI Motorsports 63
7. Team Green 61
8. Player's Forsythe 60
9. Pac West Racing 47
10. Patrick Racing 31
11. Mo Nunn Racing 26
12. Walker Racing 9
13. Della Penna 0

I finished 6th in the championship. Team have finished 3rd.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

CART 2001 Championship

Teams and drivers:
Chip Ganassi:
Bruno Junqueira
Memo Gidley

Team Penske:
Gil de Ferran
Helio Castroneves

Newman Haas:
Cristiano da Matta
Christian Fittipaldi

Team Rahal:
Kenny Brack
Kevin Walters

PacWest:
Mauricio Gugelmin
Scott Dixon

Team Green:
Paul Tracy
Dario Franchitti

Player's Forsythe:
Patrick Carpentier
Alex Tagliani

Team Motorola:
Michael Andretti

Fernandez Racing:
Adrian Fernandez
Shinji Nakano

Mo Nunn:
Tony Kanaan
Alex Zanardi

Zakspeed:
Bryan Herta

Patrick Racing:
Roberto Moreno
Oriol Servia
andrew

Post by andrew »

Good job shame you didn't win but oh well, loving that zakspeed are in this
cart00

Post by cart00 »

CART 2001 Race calendar:
1. Long Beach, USA
2. Indianapolis Oval, USA
3. Barber Motorsport Park, USA
4. Toronto, Canada
5. Montreal, Canada
6. Indianapolis GP Circuit, USA
7. Motegi Oval, Japan
8. Queensland, Australia
9. Kyalami, South Africa
10. Hockenheim, Germany
11. Rio Oval, Brazil
12. Road America, USA
13. Loudon Oval, USA
14. Laguna Seca, USA

Shorter season, only 14 races round the world. I got rid of faulty tracks. Other tracks don't seem to work with this season. As I don't know how to solve these problems that's the way it is.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 1 Long Beach (27 laps)

I had no pace throughout the whole weekend.
Qualifying results:
1. Helio Castroneves
2. Kenny Brack
3. Dario Franchitti
21. Kevin Walters

I chose a 1-stop strategy, some cars had a 2 stop-strategy. Lack of pace again. Finished 11th.
Race results:
1. Kenny Brack
2. Jimmy Vasser
3. Dario Franchitti
11. Kevin Walters
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 2 Indianapolis Oval (50 laps)

The first time I race at the Brickyard. Well at least the oval version. I was second fastest in the free practice behind teammate Kenny Brack who eventually won the pole. I was seventh in qualifying.
Qualifying results:
1. Kenny Brack
2. Cristiano da Matta
3. Christian Fittipaldi
7. Kevin Walters

Got a good start passing three cars then on the next lap I made another pass so I was running third by the third lap. I felt like I had the pace to keep up with the two cars in front but I wasn't sure I could make it on 2 stops so I decided to run behind Brack and Fittipaldi trying to save some fuel. However Brack was edging away slowly so I decided to make a move on Fittipaldi before the pit stops. I made a pass in the second corner but by this time Brack was 1.5 seconds ahead. As usual I pitted a lap earlier than the rest because I can't really save fuel. Also my pit stops are slow. After the pit stop cycle I was back in third behind race leader Brack and Carpentier. I made a move on Carpentier but Brack was ahead by 5 seconds. As it turned out I didn't need to save fuel but by this time the chance to catch Brack was gone. I drove as hard as I could but only managed to recover 1.5 seconds till the second round of pit stops. I made an even slower stop and dropped to fourth. So in the last part I had to recover the lost ground which I did. Only in the final lap did I manage to make a pass for second place. Brack won by 3.5 second. All in all a really good race.

Race results:
1. Kenny Brack
2. Kevin Walters
3. Dario Franchitti

Two race wins in two races for Kenny Brack.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 3 Barber Motorsport Park, Alabama (31 laps)

In the qualifying session I have found out that if you enable the no AI control in the PLR file you get disqualified if you exceed the number of laps allowed in qualifying. I didn't know that. It never happened before. I thought if you exceed the number of laps allowed your further lap times are not counted but you are still being able to do laps without being disqualified. Well I was wrong. I was disqualified for exceeding the number of laps allowed in qualifying.
Qualifying results:
1. Patrick Carpentier
2. Bruno Junqueria
3. Alex Tagliani
7. Kenny Brack
22. Kevin Walters

Now this track is the Birkuc version I think and in the chicanes it has these tires cones or whatever they are called which can cause serious incidents. As it was the case in this race. I started last but made my way up to 15th on the first lap. Kenny Brack hit the tire cone on the first lap so he was out taking another car with him. Then on the third lap, disaster. As far as I can tell the tenth place car spun in the first chicane and all the cars behind just bunched up and hit each other. It was a total wreck fest. I hit the car in front and damaged my car's suspension to the point that I couldn't continue. 8 cars finished the race. So no points.
Race results:
1. Patrick Carpentier
2. Adrian Fernandez
3. Alex Tagliani
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 4 Toronto, Canada (35 laps)

I snatched the pole by 3 hundredths of a second.
Qualifying results:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Kenny Brack
3. Gil de Ferran

The race only lasted 15 laps. I chose a 2 stop strategy. As I found out Brack was on a 1 stop strategy. Three laps after my first pit stop which happened on lap 12 I outbraked myself in turn 4 and hit the wall.
Race results:
1. Kenny Brack
2. Cristiano da Matta
3. Patrick Carpentier
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 5 Montreal, Canada (24 laps)

Qualifying results:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Kenny Brack
3. Helio Castroneves

Brake failure with five laps to go while I was leading the race.

Race results:
1. Kenny Brack
2. Michael Andretti
3. Cristiano da Matta

It's a disastrous season for me so far. Teammate Kenny Brack is leading the championship with four wins out of five races while I only managed a second place in five races.

Drivers championship standings after five races:
1. Kenny Brack 48 points
2. Patrick Carpentier 32
3. Cristiano da Matta 23
4. Dario Franchitti 22
5. Michael Andretti 15
9. Kevin Walters 9

Teams championship standings after five races:
1. Team Rahal 57
2. Player's Forsythe 43
3. Newman Haas 36
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 6 Indianapolis GP circuit (24 laps)

Finally! What a relief. Got the pole and the win leading the most laps. I was on a 1 stop strategy some cars were on two stops. I only gave up the lead while the 2 stoppers pitted for the second time. It was a dominant performance. I need to do this if I want to get second place in the championship. Because teammate Kenny Brack looks unstoppable at the moment.

Qualifying results:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Gil de Ferran
3. Helio Castroneves
4. Kenny Brack

Race results:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Gil de Ferran
3. Kenny Brack
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 7 Twin Ring Motegi, Japan (70 laps)

Qualifying results:
1. Kenny Brack
2. Kevin Walters
3. Dario Franchitti

Race results:
1. Dario Franchitti
2. Kevin Walters
3. Michael Andretti

Teammate and championship leader Kenny Brack: DNF
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 8 Queensland, Australia (35 laps)

Last season it was Albert Park. I had brake failure there. So I replaced it hoping that it will not happen this time. I was wrong.
Qualifying results:
1. Kenny Brack
2. Kevin Walters
3. Paul Tracy

Brake failure again. I am thinking about replacing the track, maybe have a race in New Zealand at Pukekohe instead of Australia. I don't have another working Australian track. We'll see.
Race results:
1. Cristiano da Matta
2. Michael Andretti
3. Kenny Brack

I have already started to think about the next season.
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 9 Kyalami, South Africa (24 laps)

Fastest in every session.
Qualifying results:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Kenny Brack
3. Gil de Ferran

I led most of the race but due to the 2 stop strategy I only finished second. Not bad but it could've been a win. Kenny Brack did not finish the race neither did Franchitti. I gained some positions in the championship.

Race results:
1. Helio Castroneves
2. Kevin Walters
3. Patrick Carpentier
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 10 Hockenheim, Germany (23 laps)

Fastest again in every session.
Qualifying results:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Patrick Carpentier
3. Alex Zanardi
6. Kenny Brack

What a stupid mistake I made. It cost me the race win. I did not finish after I spun on lap 12 when I was trying to make my pit stop. I was hit from behind lost my engine.

Race results:
1. Gil de Ferran
2. Patrick Carpentier
3. Alex Zanardi
4. Kenny Brack
cart00

Post by cart00 »

Race 11 Rio Oval, Brazil (51 laps)

Qualifying results:
1. Kevin Walters
2. Kenny Brack