Vergne: A match for Ricciardo?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
LionZoo

Vergne: A match for Ricciardo?

Post by LionZoo »

http://en.espnf1.com/tororosso/motorspo ... 75371.html

I kind of agree with his point. In his two seasons as teammate to Ricciardo, I thought he acquitted himself rather well. He's definitely one of those drivers that seem more than deserving of remaining in F1, but it looks like he's going to join the F1 Toro Rosso scrapheap.

(Also, the comments in the article. YIKES!)
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Vergne: A match for Ricciardo?

Post by FullMetalJack »

He has a point. JEV was a match for Ricky at Toro Rosso, him at Red Bull is a great 'What If' story, who knows how well he could have done.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

*Aussie fanboy disclaimer*

While Vergne would be a solid midfield driver, I've always thought Ricciardo had more raw talent. Yes, Vergne outscored him at Toro Rosso in 2012, but that was down to a few rather fortuitous 8th places rather than consistently being ahead.

If RB had gone for Vergne this season instead of Dan, I just can't see him having any race wins. Let's not forget the inch-perfect passes Ricciardo has been pulling all season - I can't remember Vergne ever consistently doing that.

But I really do rate JEV as a strong driver and hope he's in F1 next year for a better team than Toro Rosso.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I think JEV is the new Nick Heidfeld. :lol:
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

LellaLombardi wrote:I think JEV is the new Nick Heidfeld. :lol:

I thought Hulkenberg was becoming the new Nick Heidfeld.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

I am becoming slightly bored by Hulkenberg now from being a massive fan before so I think this theory might be right.
Waris

Post by Waris »

BigG80 wrote:I am becoming slightly bored by Hulkenberg now from being a massive fan before so I think this theory might be right.

The difference being that Hülkenberg will win a race. (You heard it hear first.)
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Leyton House

Post by Leyton House »

I just really hope he gets a drive, he's worthy of it.
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

AustralianStig wrote:If RB had gone for Vergne this season instead of Dan, I just can't see him having any race wins. Let's not forget the inch-perfect passes Ricciardo has been pulling all season - I can't remember Vergne ever consistently doing that.

I must admit that some of Dan's exceptional passes were a complete surprise to me this year, though. I may be mistaken, but i can't think of anything from 2013 that suggested to me that Dan could drive at a much higher level than JEV.
Waris wrote:
BigG80 wrote:I am becoming slightly bored by Hulkenberg now from being a massive fan before so I think this theory might be right.

The difference being that Hülkenberg will win a race. (You heard it hear first.)

I really thought that 2014 would be the year, what with my hopes for high unrelaibility giving midfielders a chance and all that. I would really like to see it, but I am now having trouble seeing how the Hulk now gets to a team capable of giving him a winning car.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
mario

Post by mario »

More_Blue_Flags wrote:
Waris wrote:

I really thought that 2014 would be the year, what with my hopes for high unrelaibility giving midfielders a chance and all that. I would really like to see it, but I am now having trouble seeing how the Hulk now gets to a team capable of giving him a winning car.

If some of the recent rumours are true, then it may be the case that we don't even see Hulkenberg on the grid next season if he is actively considering joining Porsche's WEC program.

It'd be something of a marked shift if we saw a driver who is still very much in the middle of his career moving from F1 to the WEC because he considers the WEC offers more prospects for career advancement. Whilst we've seen a number of drivers move to that series, it has generally been drivers who were approaching the end of their career in F1, such as Webber, and therefore were unlikely to get better offers for their services within F1.

As an aside, given the rumours that Button is also considering joining Porsche's WEC program, I think that Porsche might have a fairly strong team on its hands if it had Button and Hulkenberg in the same car, plus an experienced driver like Pilet from their GT program - two drivers noted for their consistent pace, adaptability in mixed conditions and intelligent driving, allied to a veteran driver in the WEC with experience of managing aspects like night racing, could make for a quite competitive team.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"