F1 Drivers as Football Clubs

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Alextrax52

F1 Drivers as Football Clubs

Post by Alextrax52 »

I was thinking what Football clubs would F1 drivers be like?

I'm struggling myself but I have one definite answer. Lewis Hamilton would be Manchester United.
midgrid

Re: F1 Drivers as Football Clubs

Post by midgrid »

I dimly remember the Guardian F1 season preview supplement doing a similar thing in 1998 for each team, but the only one that I can recall is that Tyrrell were compared to Uruguay (before the latter's recent revival).
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Sauber is defenitely the Swiss national team. Sometimes they're pretty good, but no-one really cares.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

A pointless thread (since there's 22 F1 drivers and over 220,000 football clubs in the world ever), but hell I'll run with it. If we're talking Premier League clubs, here's how it goes:

Arsenal - Fernando Alonso. A former unbeatable force, characterised by tactical flair. Not able to repeat past glories.
Aston Villa - Kimi Raikkonen. Formerly a top-six mainstay, things have gone south of late. Probably close to dropping out.
Burnley - Marcus Ericsson/Max Chilton. They've come up with fighting spirit, but people question their credentials.
Chelsea - Sebastian Vettel. Proven to be dominant if everything goes right, backed by megabucks when needed.
Crystal Palace - Jules Bianchi. Capable of producing assured performances against the odds.
Everton - Nico Hulkenberg. Always capable of producing a good result, no matter who the opposition may be.
Hull - Pastor Maldonado. Usually languishing in the bottom half, can often surprise. Prone to crashing, either with barriers or Alan Pardew's head.
Leicester - Daniil Kvyat. Promising newcomers requiring a little time to adapt.
Liverpool - Valtteri Bottas/Daniel Ricciardo. Youth is a defining factor in their recent moves to the front part of the pack.
Manchester City - Nico Rosberg. At war with their neighbours. The more polished, slick outfit of the two.
Manchester Utd - Lewis Hamilton. The rougher diamond of the two, yet can be hideously dominant on their day.
Newcastle Utd - Felipe Massa. Inconsistent and controversial, they flatter to deceive on a regular basis.
Queens Park Rangers - Esteban Gutierrez. Cash helped them up. Expected to perform, but often performs poorly on the day.
Southampton - Romain Grosjean. Full of talent, but written off after recent problems and overlooked.
Stoke City - Jean-Eric Vergne. Unfancied by many, but always an effective performer continuing to improve.
Sunderland - Kamui Kobayashi. Probably lucky to be there, but still a worthy performer.
Swansea - Sergio Perez. Characterised by flamboyant style, but often error-prone in defense.
Tottenham - Kevin Magnussen. New focus on youth, managing to probe around the top half.
West Brom - Adrian Sutil. Somehow still there, still failing to inspire anyone. Might do well on occasion, but just middling at best.
West Ham - Jenson Button. Still well-supported, the flair of times gone by has all but faded.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Ataxia wrote:A pointless thread (since there's 22 F1 drivers and over 220,000 football clubs in the world ever), but hell I'll run with it. If we're talking Premier League clubs, here's how it goes:

Arsenal - Fernando Alonso. A former unbeatable force, characterised by tactical flair. Not able to repeat past glories.
Aston Villa - Kimi Raikkonen. Formerly a top-six mainstay, things have gone south of late. Probably close to dropping out.
Burnley - Marcus Ericsson/Max Chilton. They've come up with fighting spirit, but people question their credentials.
Chelsea - Sebastian Vettel. Proven to be dominant if everything goes right, backed by megabucks when needed.
Crystal Palace - Jules Bianchi. Capable of producing assured performances against the odds.
Everton - Nico Hulkenberg. Always capable of producing a good result, no matter who the opposition may be.
Hull - Pastor Maldonado. Usually languishing in the bottom half, can often surprise. Prone to crashing, either with barriers or Alan Pardew's head.
Liverpool - Valtteri Bottas/Daniel Ricciardo. Youth is a defining factor in their recent moves to the front part of the pack.
Manchester City - Nico Rosberg. At war with their neighbours. The more polished, slick outfit of the two.
Manchester Utd - Lewis Hamilton. The rougher diamond of the two, yet can be hideously dominant on their day.
Newcastle Utd - Felipe Massa. Inconsistent and controversial, they flatter to deceive on a regular basis.
Queens Park Rangers - Esteban Gutierrez. Cash helped them up. Expected to perform, but often performs poorly on the day.
Southampton - Romain Grosjean. Full of talent, but written off after recent problems and overlooked.
Stoke City - Jean-Eric Vergne. Unfancied by many, but always an effective performer continuing to improve.
Sunderland - Kamui Kobayashi. Probably lucky to be there, but still a worthy performer.
Swansea - Sergio Perez. Characterised by flamboyant style, but often error-prone in defense.
Tottenham - Kevin Magnussen. New focus on youth, managing to probe around the top half.
West Brom - Adrian Sutil. Somehow still there, still failing to inspire anyone. Might do well on occasion, but just middling at best.
West Ham - Jenson Button. Still well-supported, the flair of times gone by has all but faded.

I must say, this is brilliantly incisive!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

eytl wrote:
Ataxia wrote:A pointless thread (since there's 22 F1 drivers and over 220,000 football clubs in the world ever), but hell I'll run with it. If we're talking Premier League clubs, here's how it goes:

I must say, this is brilliantly incisive!

It is, although I actually like Kimi Raikkonen.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I'd actually say Stoke are an unholy mix of Michael Schumacher, Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna, Jim Clark and Juan Manuel Fangio but each to his own I guess.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Atalanta - Jules Bianchi - Doing great things with so-so resources.
Cagliari - Felipe Massa - The captain is drunk at the wheel. Laughably error-prone, yet somehow keeps toiling along in the top division.
Cesena - Pedro de la Rosa - Oh, you're back? We hadn't noticed. You keep coming and going every couple of seasons.
Chievo - Adrian Sutil - Briefly looked exciting a few years ago, spent all their time looking utterly mediocre and boring, slowly creeping towards relegation every season.
Empoli - Marcus Ericsson - New kid nobody gives any hope to.
Fiorentina - Daniel Ricciardo - Nobody thought they'd amount to much more than being a bit worse than the top group of competitors, but starting to look like they might just be the real deal.
Genoa - Esteban Gutierrez - Plenty of money, but they don't seem to be doing much with it. Their place in the competition looks as shaky as ever.
Internazionale - Fernando Alonso - Spent recent history looking like the best of them all, but the team didn't deliver recently and results of late have been wanting.
Juventus - Sebastian Vettel - Took advantage of their team advantage to win everything in sight in recent years.
Lazio Roma - Jenson Button - Won a title once a few years back, they've done okay but nothing spectacular since. Even if the stats say they are slightly better than their 'team-mate', they've looked inferior from a subjective view.
AC Milan - Lewis Hamilton - Without a doubt, one of the best, but often too caught up in their own soap opera, and it badly messes with their form.
Napoli - Nico Robserg - Always seen as a good team, but not a title winning one. They look like they could finally break in at the very top after years of toiling away.
Palermo - Pastor Maldonado - Off the rails crazy, but every once in a while capable of something special and unexpected.
Parma - Kimi Raikkonen - Once a powerhouse of the sport, they fell from grace, but returned with a vengance and looked like they'd finally got back to where they'd started - only for everything to come tumbling down once again.
AS Roma - Valtteri Bottas - Looked imperious, then nobody heard from them for a few years, now look on the verge of taking it right to the top.
Sampdoria - Sergio Perez - Just when it looks like they've made it, they have to take a step backwards. The future is uncertain, they have the possibility to go forwards, but sometimes fail to deliver.
Sassuolo - Max Chilton - Everyone is surprised they lasted more than a single season. Still don't look solid enough to be here a season from now though.
Torino - Romain Grosjean - Had a shaky start to their career, but have built up and looked on the verge of breaking into the top echelons.
Udinese - Jean-Eric Vergne - Nobody takes much notice of them, but they always seem to be solid enough, comfortably ahead of relegation.
Verona - Kevin Magnussen - Way back in the day, this name was associated with a sudden burst of talent, dominated once and faded into obscurity. Now they're back, and looked very impressive to start with, but are starting to realise the struggle of the midfield battle.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Now that is what I am talking about with Daniel Ricciardo and my favourite EPL team being Liverpool.
Officially Retired
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

To add to Ataxia's list, some ex-F1 drivers and what Football League teams they are.

Wigan Athletic - Piercarlo Ghinzani - Lasted a very long time in the top tier, amazing how it was done
Leeds United - Jacques Villeneuve - One of the big boys in the 90s/early 2000s, but it all went downhill from there
Birmingham City - Heikki Kovalainen - The better the team, the worse they seem to perform
Huddersfield Town - Mark Blundell - Always seem to be there, performing respectably, without doing anything too noticeable

And I know he's a future F1 driver rather than past, but the comparison was there to be made, so....

AFC Wimbledon - Max Verstappen - Risen through the ranks at an alarmingly quick rate

I'll add others if I can think of them
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

The big fear for Max Verstappen at the moment is that his rise through the ranks might end up being more like Gretna...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"