The 2014 'Super Time! For Super-Susie' British GP Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Jocke1

Re: The 2014 'Super Time! For Super-Susie' British GP Thread

Post by Jocke1 »

Something about me, Silverstone, islands and missing the race. In 2001 I was at Gackerön island while my then hero Mika Häkkinen was winning the race. We had this solar powered television that time that hadn't been charged up properly and therefore lasted for about 5 minutes before it shut down on us. Now since Friday night I've been stuck on Gotland island and this time the available television thankfully ran on electricity, only there was no coverage on the existing channels. So missed qualifying yesterday and the race today. :|
I'll have to catch up in the coming week.

Glad Kimi is ok.
How the heck did Lewis win by half a minute?
Why did Ericsson DNF?
And why isn't Susie receiving high praise and well deserved credit for brilliantly setting the car up for Bottas on Friday, enabling him to score a great podium today. It's essentially all down to Susie's work and she deserves recognition and plaudits. I would go so far as to say that this podium is 80% Susie, 20% Valtteri. Did he mention her at all in the post-race press conference? I do hope he thanked her immensely (sp?) and credited her for his best result to date.
-*:-
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Jocke1 wrote:And why isn't Susie receiving high praise and well deserved credit for brilliantly setting the car up for Bottas on Friday, enabling him to score a great podium today. It's essentially all down to Susie's work and she deserves recognition and plaudits. I would go so far as to say that this podium is 80% Susie, 20% Valtteri. Did he mention her at all in the post-race press conference? I do hope he thanked her immensely (sp?) and credited her for his best result to date.

I know you are the resident jokester and all. I am cool with that, love people having fun. Seriously, though, do never do that again. You understand?
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Jocke1 wrote:Something about me, Silverstone, islands and missing the race. In 2001 I was at Gackerön island while my then hero Mika Häkkinen was winning the race. We had this solar powered television that time that hadn't been charged up properly and therefore lasted for about 5 minutes before it shut down on us. Now since Friday night I've been stuck on Gotland island and this time the available television thankfully ran on electricity, only there was no coverage on the existing channels. So missed qualifying yesterday and the race today. :|

Glad Kimi is ok.
Why did Ericsson DNF?
And why isn't Susie receiving high praise and well deserved credit for brilliantly setting the car up for Bottas on Friday, enabling him to score a great podium today. It's essentially all down to Susie's work and she deserves recognition and plaudits. I would go so far as to say that this podium is 80% Susie, 20% Valtteri. Did he mention her at all in the post-race press conference? I do hope he thanked her immensely (sp?) and credited her for his best result to date.

Ericsson's Left front suspension broke and the Mercedes is just ridiculously good.
mario

Post by mario »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:Something about me, Silverstone, islands and missing the race. In 2001 I was at Gackerön island while my then hero Mika Häkkinen was winning the race. We had this solar powered television that time that hadn't been charged up properly and therefore lasted for about 5 minutes before it shut down on us. Now since Friday night I've been stuck on Gotland island and this time the available television thankfully ran on electricity, only there was no coverage on the existing channels. So missed qualifying yesterday and the race today. :|

Glad Kimi is ok.
Why did Ericsson DNF?

Ericsson's Left front suspension broke and the Mercedes is just ridiculously good.

In the case of Ericsson, he stated that he struck a piece of debris at Turn 6 (what it was is not clear, but one possibility might be a piece of debris from Kimi's accident) that broke the suspension arm.

As for Hamilton's winning margin, what is perhaps worrying for other teams is the fact that Hamilton could have won by an even greater margin - when Hamilton and Rosberg were charging away from the field in the opening laps, they were at one point lapping around three seconds a lap faster than the following pack. As soon as Rosberg had to retire, it seems that the team instructed Hamilton to basically pace himself in relation to Bottas - so in reality Hamilton probably had more pace up his sleeve than he used in the latter half of the race.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

mario wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

Glad Kimi is ok.
Why did Ericsson DNF?

In the case of Ericsson, he stated that he struck a piece of debris at Turn 6 (what it was is not clear, but one possibility might be a piece of debris from Kimi's accident) that broke the suspension arm.

As for Hamilton's winning margin, what is perhaps worrying for other teams is the fact that Hamilton could have won by an even greater margin - when Hamilton and Rosberg were charging away from the field in the opening laps, they were at one point lapping around three seconds a lap faster than the following pack. As soon as Rosberg had to retire, it seems that the team instructed Hamilton to basically pace himself in relation to Bottas - so in reality Hamilton probably had more pace up his sleeve than he used in the latter half of the race.

Not only that, but Hamilton didn't really need to pit either, so that's another ~22 seconds he could have been ahead by.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I must say Alonso's defending from Vettel was the best battle like that since.....Schumacher on Hamilton at Monza 2011? I certainly expected Vettel to have flown by within a lap or two! But that was great entertainment with the battle for the lead having been decided - but god did the championship battle need that!! :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

mario wrote:As for Hamilton's winning margin, what is perhaps worrying for other teams is the fact that Hamilton could have won by an even greater margin - when Hamilton and Rosberg were charging away from the field in the opening laps, they were at one point lapping around three seconds a lap faster than the following pack. As soon as Rosberg had to retire, it seems that the team instructed Hamilton to basically pace himself in relation to Bottas - so in reality Hamilton probably had more pace up his sleeve than he used in the latter half of the race.

I've been wondering, if the Mercedes domination is generally considered related to the turbo-packaging, does that mean the other teams will simply copy the design next year and narrow the gap?
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

SgtPepper wrote:
mario wrote:As for Hamilton's winning margin, what is perhaps worrying for other teams is the fact that Hamilton could have won by an even greater margin - when Hamilton and Rosberg were charging away from the field in the opening laps, they were at one point lapping around three seconds a lap faster than the following pack. As soon as Rosberg had to retire, it seems that the team instructed Hamilton to basically pace himself in relation to Bottas - so in reality Hamilton probably had more pace up his sleeve than he used in the latter half of the race.

I've been wondering, if the Mercedes domination is generally considered related to the turbo-packaging, does that mean the other teams will simply copy the design next year and narrow the gap?

I think that is quite likely.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Rosberg finally got his. Excellent.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

James1978 wrote:I must say Alonso's defending from Vettel was the best battle like that since.....Schumacher on Hamilton at Monza 2011? I certainly expected Vettel to have flown by within a lap or two! But that was great entertainment with the battle for the lead having been decided

They were both excellent on track but I wonder if they were aware how unilaterally weak and spineless they both sounded telling tales on each other on the radio. That spoilt for me what could've been an epic battle.
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

Fetzie wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:

I think that is quite likely.

However, that assumes that the turbo packaging is the dominant factor in Mercedes's car, when it may be one of a number of factors (for example, now that Renault have worked on their engine, that seems to be closer to the Mercedes engine - however, the energy recovery systems of the Renault powertrain are possibly still behind that of Mercedes). Allied to that, the W05 seems to be built around a pretty decent chassis design and the team does also seem to have perfected their interconnected suspension design, allowing them to run the car with a slightly softer suspension set up than their rivals.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Klon wrote: Seriously, though, do never do that again. You understand?

Don't be a Klon, Klon.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Jocke1 wrote:
Klon wrote: Seriously, though, do never do that again. You understand?

Don't be a Klon, Klon.

I actually agree with Klon. There's joking and then there's pushing a joke pathetically far.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

I'm not normally one for standing up but here we are at roughly mid point of the season, the top team have been trying to keep the season interesting by allowing their two drivers to race. Unfortunately though due to some unreliability one of the drivers had got a huge margin which the other was struggling to overcome and he then qualified poorly at his home race....in a country where all their other sports stars had recently failed in their field....so he needed some help from the other cars gearbox and amazingly enough he got it.

Definitely time to be upstanding.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

BigG80 wrote:I
Definitely time to be upstanding.

I'm standing up typing this. It feels curiously refreshing.
Just For One Day...
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

DonTirri wrote:I understand your point of removing it Mario, but Enforcer deserves flak for posting crap like that.

Lol @ you being precious about someone saying something mean about an F1 driver. Didn't you wish another leg break on Schumacher a couple of years ago?

Okay, I'll accept it was ill-judged to say something before we confirmed that Kimi was okay, and I apologise for that much. But fact is as far as I can tell he drove off the circuit, and could've seriously hurt himself and Massa (Jedi reflexes from Felipe, btw). Yes, he's not the first experienced driver to make a mistake, but it's the latest aspect of a very poor season that makes him look like a man who has no business in F1. And yes, the Ferrari's a total shitbox, but Alonso can motivate himself to drive it and has outscored Kimi 87-19, despite being at a similar stage of his career to Kimi. So I stand by my comment: He should go home. I should've just waited until today to make it.

As for the rest of the race, I suppose it was only a matter of time until a Mercedes gremlin hit Rosberg and not Hamilton. Since it's a near metaphysical certainty that one Mercedes will follow the other across the line if both cars are reliable, unless one of them proceeds to dominate the other for an extended period, I strongly suspect the Championship will come down to who has the least retirements. Just so long as a key retirement doesn't happen in Abu Dhabi and give someone a two race swing.
Last edited by Enforcer on 07 Jul 2014, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Joking? About Susie you mean?
Alright I'm sorry. I see now 80/20 is indeed a pathetic number. I got a bit carried away there.
70/30 then.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

Enforcer wrote:
DonTirri wrote:I understand your point of removing it Mario, but Enforcer deserves flak for posting crap like that.

Lol @ you being precious about someone saying something mean about an F1 driver. Didn't you wish another leg break on Schumacher a couple of years ago?

And I got well deserved flak for it. You see, I am not a hypocrite. I readily admit my own bathplug. The thing is, you are looking mighty pathetic joining the Kimi go home-bandwagon. Just another sign of this forums lack of quality nowadays. Atleast back in the day even the Trolls had style and class.

You? You are just pathetic.

(Inb4 this gets edited by a mod)
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
PT8475

Post by PT8475 »

James1978 wrote:I must say Alonso's defending from Vettel was the best battle like that since.....Schumacher on Hamilton at Monza 2011? I certainly expected Vettel to have flown by within a lap or two! But that was great entertainment with the battle for the lead having been decided - but god did the championship battle need that!! :)

You know why? Because Vettel's DRS was essentially useless due to his straight line speed deficit.

Just like Hamilton's DRS was essentially useless against Schumacher at Monza in 2011.

For the love of god, get rid of DRS - we have had NO great battles for nearly 3 years until yesterday, solely because of it. Am I the only one who finds a race like Turkey 2010, a race-long duel between 4 cars at the front, a better spectacle than Hamilton's "charge" through from 4th to 2nd yesterday whereby he simply pushed the buttons and zoomed off past?
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

DonTirri wrote:
Enforcer wrote:

And I got well deserved flak for it. You see, I am not a hypocrite. I readily admit my own bathplug.

Isn't that exactly what I just did?

And it's not joining "a bandwagon" when I can sit there and back up my view that the guy isn't performing with actual facts.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DonTirri wrote:
Enforcer wrote:

And I got well deserved flak for it. You see, I am not a hypocrite. I readily admit my own bathplug. The thing is, you are looking mighty pathetic joining the Kimi go home-bandwagon. Just another sign of this forums lack of quality nowadays. Atleast back in the day even the Trolls had style and class.

You? You are just pathetic.

(Inb4 this gets edited by a mod)

So we're all pathetic cos Kimi crashed, aye? Because Raikkonen drove back onto the track at full throttle across the grass and didn't expect any loss of grip, we're a bunch of morons, yeah? Because he's been so far off the pace of his own team-mate it's a little embarassing for a former WDC to go through, we're talking out of our arseholes, right?

Go home DonTirri. If you can't take valid criticism over your own favourite driver, you don't belong in any forum anywhere on the internet. You can't handle a little objective analysis of Raikkonen that could possibly paint him in a bad light.

However, if you feel like giving an actual answer, rather than a blindingly biased tirade against anyone that dare tar the name of the almighty one, would you care to point out to me a good performance by Raikkonen this season?

I could spend some time constructing a well written, cited with statistics and observations, riposte, but it'd be entirely wasted on the Master of all Trolls on this webste.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

Biscione wrote:So we're all pathetic cos Kimi crashed, aye? Because Raikkonen drove back onto the track at full throttle across the grass and didn't expect any loss of grip, we're a bunch of morons, yeah? Because he's been so far off the pace of his own team-mate it's a little embarassing for a former WDC to go through, we're talking out of our arseholes, right?

Go home DonTirri. If you can't take valid criticism over your own favourite driver, you don't belong in any forum anywhere on the internet. You can't handle a little objective analysis of Raikkonen that could possibly paint him in a bad light.

However, if you feel like giving an actual answer, rather than a blindingly biased tirade against anyone that dare tar the name of the almighty one, would you care to point out to me a good performance by Raikkonen this season?

I could spend some time constructing a well written, cited with statistics and observations, riposte, but it'd be entirely wasted on the Master of all Trolls on this webste.

The thing is, while I admit his season is WELL below what was expected of him, in this particular case it was uncalled for. Yes, he could've slowed down. but he didn't come over the grass, he came over the patch of tarmac in there. He was doing what everybody had been criticizing him for NOT doing all season, i.e actually making an effort to race, running into a bump and crashed. And he gets shat on? I make no bones about being a huge fan of Kimi, but I am sick and tired of watching him get shat on no matter WHAT he does. Had he slowed down and allowed the pack to pass, he woulda been shat on for not even trying. He didn't slow down and he gets shat on because he ran into a bump.

and my main complaint is the fact that these boards, which used to be home for people who'd at best make lighthearted fun of failure (You know, the point of this site?) has devolved into a site where people outright shite on drivers. I can take criticism of Kimi, I am not that blindly patriotic, but only when it's truly warranted. THAT was a racing incident caused by a guy actually TRYING.
But apparently anything he does warrants bashing him, because it's cool yo!.
And besides. I wouldn't call "Go Home Kimi" "little objective analysis of Räikkönen that could possibly paint him in a bad light" (referencing the original Enforcer post now deleted).
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Chilton was very,very lucky indeed. This could have ended in a fatal crash.

I don't understand why teams and drivers don't agree with closed cockpits. The risk of some object flying in the drivers' head is way bigger than fire.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wow, that didn't look good. I was there at Brands Hatch on the day Henry Surtees died. Not a good experience...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA