Azerbaijan!!!

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

Azerbaijan!!!

Post by dr-baker »

Next year's European Grand Prix... I wanna say it has as much chance of actually happening as the New Jersey race?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Azerbaijan!!!

Post by Wallio »

Forgive my ignorance, but is Azerbaijan actually in Europe? Is it an EU member?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wallio wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but is Azerbaijan actually in Europe? Is it an EU member?

It is not an EU member and it is placed in what is considered the border between Europe and western Asia. They certainly prefer to consider themselves European. So do they neighbours Armenia and Georgia. Not Iran, mind you!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but is Azerbaijan actually in Europe? Is it an EU member?

Definitely not an EU member. In my book, it's Eurasian, but officially it apparently is Europe... Further east than Turkey, so quite possibly a flyaway race!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Why couldn't it just be the Azerbaijani Grand Prix? Not like Valencia and Nurburgring where there was another race in the same country.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

It falls into a bit of a grey area really. The Caucasus region is quite isolated from the rest of Asia and can't really be considered part of the Middle East, but theoretically it is in Asia. The fact is, because the countries are former Soviet states, they have almost been "adopted" by Europe. Whether this is out of sympathy, to get more teams qualifying for the European Football Championships, or to give us more varied voting options on Eurovision I don't know.

Really it should be the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, but I'm guessing the country's officials are that proud of their country's heritage that they'd rather not use their own name and commandeer something else!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

shinji wrote:Why couldn't it just be the Azerbaijani Grand Prix? Not like Valencia and Nurburgring where there was another race in the same country.

This was my confusion. To me the European GP is be in "hardline" Europe (and should rotate, but that's another story). Knowing its by Georgia makes a bit more sense, but it still seems a reach to me.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

From the 3 Caucasean countries, only Georgia is officially part of the European subcontinent. But because all 3 countries used to be part of the Soviet-union and became independent at the same time, they're all considered European.
Mind you that some other countries like Iceland and Malta are also on the border between two continents, and that Cyprus is technically 100% Asian, but is also considered to be European, because of their culture.
That is discounting the United Kingdom and France with their overseas territories, and Denmark, which is mostly on the American continent (Greenland), so Europe is usually a cultural thing.
Still that doesn't give Isreal the right to win the Eurovision Song contest in my opinion, but that's an antirely different debate.

About the GP itselfs, well, it looks like the Azerbeidjani government loves to spend money, and usually they get their big projects finished on schedule, so i looks realistic.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Wallio wrote:
shinji wrote:Why couldn't it just be the Azerbaijani Grand Prix? Not like Valencia and Nurburgring where there was another race in the same country.

This was my confusion. To me the European GP is be in "hardline" Europe (and should rotate, but that's another story). Knowing its by Georgia makes a bit more sense, but it still seems a reach to me.

To me, Europe should have a time difference of -1 hour to +2.5 hours from UK time. Azerbaijan is something like +4 hours.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

They compete in the Eurovision song contest of course. And won it the other year, which meant that the contest in Baku went on past midnight their time to fit in with TV schedules in the rest of Europe!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Barbazza wrote:They compete in the Eurovision song contest of course. And won it the other year, which meant that the contest in Baku went on past midnight their time to fit in with TV schedules in the rest of Europe!

IIRC, I think it started at midnight local time :shock:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Barbazza wrote:They compete in the Eurovision song contest of course. And won it the other year, which meant that the contest in Baku went on past midnight their time to fit in with TV schedules in the rest of Europe!

Eurovision is different from Europe, mind. Morocco have entered Eurovision.

And we can't trust football. Football thinks Australia is in Asia.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

GwilymJJames wrote:Eurovision is different from Europe, mind. Morocco have entered Eurovision.

Oh, I know that. I'm a huge Eurovision fan, for my sins. To be in Eurovision, you just need to be a member of the EBU!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

roblomas52 wrote:To me, Europe should have a time difference of -1 hour to +2.5 hours from UK time. Azerbaijan is something like +4 hours.

So most of Africa is European? Way to go, RoBloMas52!
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dr-baker wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:To me, Europe should have a time difference of -1 hour to +2.5 hours from UK time. Azerbaijan is something like +4 hours.

Everyone knows Africa is only a Roman province? (just like for example Asia, or Brittania)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Everyone knows Africa is only a Roman province? (just like for example Asia, or Brittania)

Oh Gordon Bennett, I feel a massive can of worms being opened here...
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

dr-baker wrote:

I was refering to the continent of Europe and where I think the cut off lines should be. Infact I will make what I think Europe is tomorrow on gmaps pedometer.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

roblomas52 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

I was refering to the continent of Europe and where I think the cut off lines should be. Infact I will make what I think Europe is tomorrow on gmaps pedometer.

Bit UKIPpy there with your arbitrary limitations on who gets to identify themselves as a particular nationality, or what states can see themselves as a part of a fluid geographical concept Robby lad!
Last edited by shinji on 30 Apr 2014, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

roblomas52 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

What you think is Europe counts for absolutely nothing. Hell, the actual definition of Europe counts for nothing. If the FIA decide Azerbaijan can have the European GP designation, that's that. It's not like it really matters either way what the race is called - we'll still be going to a brand new track in a country with no motorsport heritage.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Salamander wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:So most of Africa is European? Way to go, RoBloMas52!

What you think is Europe counts for absolutely nothing. Hell, the actual definition of Europe counts for nothing. If the FIA decide Azerbaijan can have the European GP designation, that's that. It's not like it really matters either way what the race is called - we'll still be going to a brand new track in a country with no motorsport heritage.

Well, now Azerbaijan has the chance to develop its own motorsport heritage. [/positivespin]
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

This could be properly interesting, I can see it happening because the country has money. (Eurovision, the GT race)
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Ataxia wrote:
Salamander wrote:What you think is Europe counts for absolutely nothing. Hell, the actual definition of Europe counts for nothing. If the FIA decide Azerbaijan can have the European GP designation, that's that. It's not like it really matters either way what the race is called - we'll still be going to a brand new track in a country with no motorsport heritage.

Well, now Azerbaijan has the chance to develop its own motorsport heritage. [/positivespin]

Oh certainly. I was just stating a fact there, there's nothing concrete to say it won't be a good addition to the calendar.
Everything's great.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

According to the FIA, the Nurburgring is a famous track in Luxembourg.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

watka wrote:According to the FIA, the Nurburgring is a famous track in Luxembourg.

:lol:

I'm just going to have to sig that. Perfect explaination as to why the FIA should think things out a little better.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

go_Rubens wrote:
watka wrote:According to the FIA, the Nurburgring is a famous track in Luxembourg.

I'm just going to have to sig that. Perfect explaination as to why the FIA should think things out a little better.

You say that, but what were they supposed to call it? Jerez had the European name in '97, and Hockenheim had the German title annexed.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Ataxia wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

You say that, but what were they supposed to call it? Jerez had the European name in '97, and Hockenheim had the German title annexed.

They could have thought out the calendar a bit better. I didn't see the point in having the season finale at Jérez.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Ataxia wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

The Rhineland-Palatinate Grand Prix. Not clunky at all.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

go_Rubens wrote:
Ataxia wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

They could have thought out the calendar a bit better. I didn't see the point in having the season finale at Jérez.

Oh? So because YOU didn't see the point means that FIA unquestionably made a mistake with the calendar. Well, that settles it then.

Sure, it was a bit out of place in terms of logistics, but if you've seen the race Jerez produced a fine season finale. I don't really see what your point is, since the discussion began about the name the race at the Nurburgring was given rather than when and where things were.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Ataxia wrote:Oh? So because YOU didn't see the point means that FIA unquestionably made a mistake with the calendar. Well, that settles it then.

Sure, it was a bit out of place in terms of logistics, but if you've seen the race Jerez produced a fine season finale. I don't really see what your point is, since the discussion began about the name the race at the Nurburgring was given rather than when and where things were.

I like to think of it as the FIA shouldn't have had 2 races in Germany, 2 in Italy, and 2 in Spain all in a 17 race season. That's nearly 3/8 of the season in 3 countries alone. Why? I'm sure there wasn't a need for being that centralized in Europe. There were likely other great tracks to race on outside of those 3 countries, and all the rest of the countries F1 had races in Europe. There were probably a few tracks that could pay a fee for a race.

Jérez did produce a fine season finale. But the calendar should have been thought out better to prevent the naming thing. It just gets on my nerves to see a race where it could have been the European GP, which is fine by me, at the Nürburgring, or any other track. Instead, you could get a country with a GP with the name of a completely different country. It gets on my nerves a little bit, as it makes me a confused person, and I don't take being confused very well.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

As I said on a previous podcast, Baku has hosted Eurovision and missed out on bidding for the Olympics, so why not a Grand Prix?

I saw a documentary last year about how the modern, advanced, rich waterfront / promenade image which Azerbaijan is trying to promote via these high-profile events hides some worrying issues beneath the surface, but perhaps that's opening the usual can of worms about sport and politics and human rights.

But anyway, I too don't see why Azerbaijan should host the European GP and not the Azerbaijani GP. But if we must have a regional name then I would suggest:

* The Grand Prix of the Caucasus
* The Caspian Grand Prix (or Caspian Sea Grand Prix)
* The "We're Only 200kms From Crazy Turkmenistan" Grand Prix
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

They'd have to be working now on the circuit to have any chance really, apparently the 1.5 mile long circuit was very last minute and is not long enough for F1, the track used for FIAGT was only grade 3 and apparently not up to standard for anything quicker than a GT3 car. So to have a chance they'll need a whole new circuit most likely. Eytl's point about the waterfront would suggest that's the plan, but if so, where's the circuit map? Even New Jersey had that and look what happened there
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

eytl wrote:As I said on a previous podcast, Baku has hosted Eurovision and missed out on bidding for the Olympics, so why not a Grand Prix?

I saw a documentary last year about how the modern, advanced, rich waterfront / promenade image which Azerbaijan is trying to promote via these high-profile events hides some worrying issues beneath the surface, but perhaps that's opening the usual can of worms about sport and politics and human rights.

But anyway, I too don't see why Azerbaijan should host the European GP and not the Azerbaijani GP. But if we must have a regional name then I would suggest:

Again, I really don't see why anyone cares what the race is called. So what if the European Grand Prix is held on the fringes of the most favourable (in this case) definition of Europe? Did anyone kick up a fuss that the San Marino Grand Prix was held in Imola all those years? Or the Luxembourg Grand Prix at Nurburgring? It really made no difference.
Everything's great.
RonDenisDeletraz

Salamander wrote:
eytl wrote:As I said on a previous podcast, Baku has hosted Eurovision and missed out on bidding for the Olympics, so why not a Grand Prix?

Again, I really don't see why anyone cares what the race is called. So what if the European Grand Prix is held on the fringes of the most favourable (in this case) definition of Europe? Did anyone kick up a fuss that the San Marino Grand Prix was held in Imola all those years? Or the Luxembourg Grand Prix at Nurburgring? It really made no difference.

The F1RWRS Tasman GP annoyed me immensely, so I can understand why it could be irritating to some people.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

I'm not annoyed, there are much more important things in life to get annoyed about than the naming of a race :?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:The F1RWRS Tasman GP annoyed me immensely, so I can understand why it could be irritating to some people.

Were you annoyed by the San Marino Grand Prix being in Italy and not San Marino? Were you annoyed by the Luxembourg Grand Prix being in Germany and not Luxembourg?
Everything's great.
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

Salamander wrote:
RonDenisDeletraz wrote:The F1RWRS Tasman GP annoyed me immensely, so I can understand why it could be irritating to some people.

Were you annoyed by the San Marino Grand Prix being in Italy and not San Marino? Were you annoyed by the Luxembourg Grand Prix being in Germany and not Luxembourg?

Did an Italian Grand Prix also take place in Italy for every single instance of the San Marino Grand Prix? Did a German Grand Prix also take place in Germany for every single instance of the Luxembourg Grand Prix?

Will there be an Azerbaijani Grand Prix in Azerbaijan when it also hosts the European Grand Prix?
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
RonDenisDeletraz

Salamander wrote:

A little bit in hindsight, but these were far less directly relevant to me

GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

Let's just call it the Turkish Grand Prix for whatever sake. :lol:

But I can't see why they should name it European Grand Prix. Absolutely no reason to do so.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Ben Gilbert wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Did an Italian Grand Prix also take place in Italy for every single instance of the San Marino Grand Prix? Did a German Grand Prix also take place in Germany for every single instance of the Luxembourg Grand Prix?

Will there be an Azerbaijani Grand Prix in Azerbaijan when it also hosts the European Grand Prix?

No, but again, does it even matter what it's called? There are far, far, far more important things to worry about than the name of a single race.
Everything's great.
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

Salamander wrote:
Ben Gilbert wrote:Did an Italian Grand Prix also take place in Italy for every single instance of the San Marino Grand Prix? Did a German Grand Prix also take place in Germany for every single instance of the Luxembourg Grand Prix?

No, but again, does it even matter what it's called? There are far, far, far more important things to worry about than the name of a single race.

Complaining about what the race is called may be pointless, but by that logic so is complaining about people complaining about what the race is called. And so is this post of me complaining. Either that was some Inception style shite.

Anyway, I hope they would design a new track layout, as the GT Challenge circuit looks kinda bad.
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case