2014 Malaysian Grand Prix thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
GwilymJJames

2014 Malaysian Grand Prix thread

Post by GwilymJJames »

Jean Todt wrote:Malaysia is a fantastic place, I... like to have massages in one of the traditional spas

Please join me in thinking about Jean Todt having a massage in one of Malaysia's traditional spas.

Malaysia first hosted the F1 World Championship in 1999, with Eddie Irvine winning. Since then many memorable things have happened. Narain Karthikeyan got called a cucumber here once and that's funny.

GMT Timetable:

Fri 28 March 2014
Practice 1 02:00 - 03:30
Practice 2 06:00 - 07:30

Sat 29 March 2014
Practice 3 05:00 - 06:00
Qualifying 08:00

Sun 30 March 2014
Race 09:00

Malaysian timetable:

Fri 28 March 2014
Practice 1 10:00 - 11:30
Practice 2 14:00 - 15:30

Sat 29 March 2014
Practice 3 13:00 - 14:00
Qualifying 16:00

Sun 30 March 2014
Race 16:00

Big questions include: Are Mercedes still dominant? Are Lotus still bad? Can Williams get a good result? Will Caterham or Marussia score a point? Can Kevin Magnuessen keep up the great start to his F1 career? Will Red Bull be fair and legal?

And now the answers: Yes, Yes, Yes, No, Maybe and Probably Not.

It'll probably rain, although it either won't be enough to be exciting or it will be too much and they red flag the race. BBC have this one, UK viewers. Eddie Jordan may not attend.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Londoner

Re: 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix thread

Post by Londoner »

Ah, the usual tricky grand prix that happens on the weekend the clocks go forward. Fun times indeed.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I watched the 2001 race yesterday; that was spectacular. Weather gods, you know what you need to do.

With regards to the time, I'm either going to miss the first half of the race or wake up an hour too early. If I get it right, it may be a cause for celebration...such is my timekeeping.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

GwilymJJames wrote:
Malaysia first hosted the F1 World Championship in 1999, with Michael Schumacher letting Eddie Irvine win.
fixed

East Londoner wrote:Ah, the usual tricky grand prix that happens on the weekend the clocks go forward.
I thought it was backwards?

Ataxia wrote:I watched the 2001 race yesterday; that was spectacular. Weather gods, you know what you need to do.
I fondly remember that race.
The power was out at home, so I watched the race over at my grandmothers, who was about to move to a new flat.
I still cannot believe Ferrari scored a one-two after all that happened.
-*:-
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Jocke1 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Ah, the usual tricky grand prix that happens on the weekend the clocks go forward.

Never heard the phrase "Spring forward, Fall back?" That's how I remember it...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

madmark1974 wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:

It's how I remember it too, despite the Americanism...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

madmark1974 wrote:
Never heard the phrase "Spring forward, Fall back?"

Whatever the phrase, I have never liked the practice of daylight saving time, it's annoying, unnecessary and silly.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

On top of all this time-changing shenanigans its also Mothering Sunday in the UK which just adds to the hassle whether its seeing the race and your own Mother or sorting things out for the missus on behalf of your young children (SHE'S NOT MY MOTHER, DAMMIT!).
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

GwilymJJames wrote:Please join me in thinking about Jean Todt having a massage in one of Malaysia's traditional spas.

You realise that is an image that will stay with me for the rest of my life...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:On top of all this time-changing shenanigans its also Mothering Sunday in the UK which just adds to the hassle whether its seeing the race and your own Mother or sorting things out for the missus on behalf of your young children (SHE'S NOT MY MOTHER, DAMMIT!).

My dad's birthday was at the end of January. For his birthday, I bought tickets for him and me to go to Brands Hatch this weekend. It was only a week or so ago that I realized that this Sunday would also be Mothering Sunday. Oooops.

So Mothering Sunday, BTCC, Malaysian GP. And no time to make it to church as well.

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

madmark1974 wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:

dr-baker wrote:It's how I remember it too, despite the Americanism...

As an aside, technically it is not an Americanism as we usually think of the term - the term was used in the American colonies and in Britain in the 17th century, but whilst the Americans have continued to use "fall" the British shifted to using "autumn" instead.
It's not necessarily uncommon either - quite a few terms that we think were coined in the US turn out, on reflection, to be terms that were in common use in both countries but, whilst falling out of use in the UK, continued to be used in the US. Some scholars have seriously suggested that, were you to resurrect Shakespeare, Johnson or Donne or any other 17th century literary figure and to drop them into a modern city, they could possibly find it easier to understand a modern day American rather than a Briton given that the British dialect has actually evolved more rapidly than the American dialect of English - but that is by the by.

Back onto the topic of the Malaysian GP, I'm trying to find the original article but it would appear that Renault are more concerned about retirements in Malaysia than in Australia, despite having more data to work with, due to the very high humidity and air temperatures. Although it was an issue beforehand, it seems that the slight reduction in power due to the increased humidity meant that it was less of an issue for the normally aspirated engines, but the increased sensitivity to air temperatures does seem to have raised the stress on the engines for this event.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:Never heard the phrase "Spring forward, Fall back?" That's how I remember it...

dr-baker wrote:It's how I remember it too, despite the Americanism...

As an aside, technically it is not an Americanism as we usually think of the term - the term was used in the American colonies and in Britain in the 17th century, but whilst the Americans have continued to use "fall" the British shifted to using "autumn" instead.
It's not necessarily uncommon either - quite a few terms that we think were coined in the US turn out, on reflection, to be terms that were in common use in both countries but, whilst falling out of use in the UK, continued to be used in the US. Some scholars have seriously suggested that, were you to resurrect Shakespeare, Johnson or Donne or any other 17th century literary figure and to drop them into a modern city, they could possibly find it easier to understand a modern day American rather than a Briton given that the British dialect has actually evolved more rapidly than the American dialect of English - but that is by the by.

I have heard equally that Shakespeare in his day would speak with what we would now consider an American accent. But here in the 21st century, it is the Americans who refer to the season after summer as fall, and which the Europeans Anglophones do not, hence my use of the Americanism term (i.e. based on 21st century usage rather than etymology). But Mario, you again continue to be a font of knowledge in a broad range of topics...
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Jocke1 wrote:
Ataxia wrote:I watched the 2001 race yesterday; that was spectacular. Weather gods, you know what you need to do.
The power was out at home, so I watched the race over at my grandmothers, who was about to move to a new flat.

Murray Walker's reaction to Schumi skidding off (Well, that's... OH!!! LOOK AT THAT!!! Michael Schumacher off!!) on lap 3 was funny enough, but it was made even more memorable when, watching the same moment with French commentary, I could actually hear Murray shouting in the background! :lol:
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

good_Ralf wrote:watching the same moment with French commentary, I could actually hear Murray shouting in the background! :lol:

That's funny, you really can hear him!
MCard LOLA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Clocks go forward and there's mothers day too. Plus all that motorsport happening. I have to go to work at 10 so I will miss s fair slice of the race
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

good_Ralf wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:

Murray Walker's reaction to Schumi skidding off (Well, that's... OH!!! LOOK AT THAT!!! Michael Schumacher off!!) on lap 3 was funny enough, but it was made even more memorable when, watching the same moment with French commentary, I could actually hear Murray shouting in the background! :lol:

I'm wondering if the safety car didn't come, maybe Fisichella had won this Grand Prix?
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Ataxia wrote:I watched the 2001 race yesterday; that was spectacular.

I remember the timing after lap 3 or so, the tenth driver was already two minutes behind on track :D Excellent race. And Verstappen was the IIDOTR easily, I was disappointed that he only finished 7th.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Shizuka wrote: Verstappen was the IIDOTR easily, I was disappointed that he only finished 7th.

And Walkinshaw weren't even there to witness his teams most competitive race in a long time!
He stayed at home with the flu.

Verstappen passed 12 cars by lap 1 and he would have finished in fourth place,
had it not been for a splash and dash pit stop twelve laps from the end.

And then a fortnight later he bollocksed it all up. From hero to idiot.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Alonso trying to 'destroy' Raikkonen - Villeneuve
Alonso, Raikkonen battle beginning already?
Mar.27 (GMM) Fernando Alonso is working hard to "destroy" his new teammate Kimi Raikkonen.

That is the view of F1's outspoken 1997 title winner Jacques Villeneuve, who acknowledged that the predictions of outright war between the two world champions have not yet been proved right.
But the psychological war, according to Villeneuve, has most certainly begun.
"Fernando's plan is obvious -- he wants to beat Kimi at all costs," said the French Canadian.
"In the tests it was all calm, but in Melbourne Fernando showed his true potential."

Indeed, Finn Raikkonen struggled with the handling of his 2014 Ferrari throughout the Melbourne weekend, while Spaniard Alonso comfortably beat him in qualifying and the race.
"In the first three races Fernando is trying to destroy Kimi psychologically and get the team to rally around him," Villeneuve said.
But Villeneuve tips Raikkonen to fight back.
"Kimi is not an 'iceman'," he insisted. "He has created this image to isolate himself, but like any driver, he doesn't like bad results.
"But I don't think Kimi fans should worry -- he also had problems with the handling in 2007 but he still became world champion.

"I think the rule changes will even play into his hands," Villeneuve told Germany's Sport Bild.
"In qualifying, Alonso will be faster, but this year that's not so important."

http://www.motorsport.com/#!/f1/news/al ... illeneuve/

Kimi will be part of the drivers press conference today. Should be interesting.

Thursday, March 27, 1500 hours local time (0800 CET)
Valtteri Bottas (Williams), Kamui Kobayashi (Caterham), Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso), Pastor Maldonado (Lotus), Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari), Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Jocke1 wrote:
Shizuka wrote: Verstappen was the IIDOTR easily, I was disappointed that he only finished 7th.

And Walkinshaw weren't even there to witness his teams most competitive race in a long time!

Only if six months is "a long time" for you. ;)

Jos finished 4th at Monza, in September the year before
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

2001 was probably the best Malaysian GP, but my favourites are 2003 and 2012. 2012 because it was wet, chaotic and no one expected Perez and Alonso to be the main protagonists for victory. And 2003 because that race, perhaps more than any other in that era, symbolized that the future of F1 was here, with Kimi scoring his first win and Alonso scoring a maiden podium from a shock pole, while Schumi crashed into Trulli and was then lapped.
Who knows, could be see Magnussen and Bottas finish on the podium this weekend, with the former claiming victory? I hope this race is memorable and also produces a better result than last year's race.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Well, well, well... First it was the complete disregard for a technical directive and the consequent appeal to challenge FIA rule making and process (which is probably the final goal), then it was the attack on the new rules by the top brass of the team and consequent threat on leaving, finally it is now the lead team driver who is a multiple world champion of course, profiting from the Australia organizers complaint, to slate the noise of the new engines as being sh*t. Now, where have I seen this kind of concerted attack on F1 rules? Ah yes, it was last year against the tyres. From the same team. Tyres were then dully changed and said team won everything...

Very well, my friends, I doubt anyone cares, but I decided to leave this in a public space on the Internet. If Red Bull manages to adapt rules to their liking and go on to win everything again this year, I will stop seeing and following Formula 1 for as long as they are in it. There... :(

Finally, Button said it all.

Button wrote:Go and race something else if you are not happy
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

Jense v Seb

Vettel: "It's s**t," said the Red Bull driver. "I was on the pitwall during the race, and it is better [quieter] than in a bar! I think for the fans it is not good."

Button: "Go and race something else if you're not happy. As drivers we have an opinion where the cars are in terms of sound and feel. But when you cross the finish line first you've won a grand prix, so you don't care what the car sounds like or what it looks like. You've beaten the best in the world, and that's all you care about."
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

DanielPT wrote:finally it is now the lead team driver who is a multiple world champion of course, profiting from the Australia organizers complaint, to slate the noise of the new engines as being sh*t.

Only because now he can hear the boos too.

But in all seriousness, Red Bull using these sort of tactics is just to be expected nowadays, and I'm sad to say just a part of the sport. What really bothers me is how increasingly blatant it's becoming that Ricciardo was just used as a sacrificial lamb at the alter of this grander war they had clearly planned on waging.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I'm starting to think that Ricciardo is the only sensible one in the Red Bull camp apart from Newey and to a certain extent, Vettel. Their PR antics has become part of their character, hence why they are likely disliked so much.

Apparently, Ricciardo had nothing to do with RBR's antics in Melbourne:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113111

In other news, Hamilton is reusing his engine from Melbourne. Let's hope it's fixed completely by now.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

SgtPepper wrote:But in all seriousness, Red Bull using these sort of tactics is just to be expected nowadays, and I'm sad to say just a part of the sport.

I think it is not part of the sport. It is part of Formula 1 these days and part of win at all costs mindset that seem to have possessed Red Bull ever since they managed to taste victory. Call me old fashioned, but it is precisely the sport part that I am trying to salvage when I criticise these kind of tactics. Ferrari antics, however wrong they were, at least happened mostly on the track. Red Bull have upped the antics and now it happens mostly off the track. It is all very messy...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

At this rate, with these suggestions being touted, I think maybe Vergne should indeed be happy with the situation. After all, both he and Kvyat are ahead of both Red Bull drivers in the WDC...
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Guarantee Vettel wouldn't be saying that if he was, you know, winning with the new engines...

Glad to see Jenson and Felipe have pretty much put him in his place. I know Massa's and Button's points may come across as arrogant, but quite frankly, the F1 fanbase crying about something so trivial as the sound comes across as really pathetic, and it will look doubly pathetic come season's end. People will wonder what all the fuss was about.

The new engines are here, deal with it. 8-)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

East Londoner wrote:Guarantee Vettel wouldn't be saying that if he was, you know, winning with the new engines...

Glad to see Jenson and Felipe have pretty much put him in his place. I know Massa's and Button's points may come across as arrogant, but quite frankly, the F1 fanbase crying about something so trivial as the sound comes across as really pathetic, and it will look doubly pathetic come season's end. People will wonder what all the fuss was about.

The new engines are here, deal with it. 8-)

Thank you, for pointing out something logical and valid. I look at YouTube comments about F1 sound the time just for the comedy.

If Bernie does manage to artificially alter the sounds to be louder, that will make F1 look like a joke. The engine sounds fine and allows us to witness more of the atmosphere of an F1 race. Yes, V8s, V10s, and V12s were awesome, but they drowned out everything. I like listening to squealing tyres. I like hearing more like the PA systems and the whine of the ERS and turbo. And the crowd cheering is always pleasant to listen to. The new sound is here. There's nothing you can do. I can't believe how many people on places like YouTube say "The new sound sucks. I won't watch F1 anymore" when the sound is only so little of the watching F1 experience. F1 is about technology and racing. I'm getting both. And both aspects are quite awesome in my mind. I can't see a problem. Casual fans, deal the bathplug with it.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Q: (Heikki Kulta - Turun Sanomat) Kimi, did you have any temptation to go to drive the simulator to get better settings for you?
KR: No.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

On the note of Vettel does anyone know when his son/daughter was born? I've heard it was during the off-season.

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

good_Ralf wrote:On the note of Vettel does anyone know when his son/daughter was born? I've heard it was during the off-season.

Sometime in January I think. It's a girl.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

good_Ralf wrote:On the note of Vettel does anyone know when his son/daughter was born? I've heard it was during the off-season.

see bottom

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 15516.html
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

DanielPT wrote:
I think it is not part of the sport. It is part of Formula 1 these days and part of win at all costs mindset that seem to have possessed Red Bull ever since they managed to taste victory. Call me old fashioned, but it is precisely the sport part that I am trying to salvage when I criticise these kind of tactics. Ferrari antics, however wrong they were, at least happened mostly on the track. Red Bull have upped the antics and now it happens mostly off the track. It is all very messy...

Nope, its always been this way. Remember Colin Chapman once said "Grand Prix Racing is backstabbing and political intrigue, interrupted every fortnight by a motor race." He said that back in the 1960s
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

I don't recall tyres being changed because of Red Bull moaning. I remember tyres being changed because they were dangerous.

And Shock! Horror! Vettel doesn't like changes that lots of other people don't like either! String him up!
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

GwilymJJames wrote:And Shock! Horror! Vettel doesn't like changes that lots of other people don't like either! String him up!

It's not about the individual's reaction to the engines, it's about creating a positive image for the sport. The V6 era has been brought in to decrease F1's impact on the environment as well as introducing technology that will have relevance to the future development of the automotive sector. For Vettel to deride them as "shite", it creates bad publicity for F1 since he's the reigning champion on the grid and for all intents and purposes acts as some kind of figurehead. F1 fans need time to adapt to the new changes, and for Vettel to paint a bleak picture of them ensures that more fans feel alienated. If he could simply hold his tongue, then perhaps the easily-swayed won't jump to back his conclusion.

Jenson Button is absolutely right; if he doesn't like it, Vettel's more than entitled to go and do something else. It makes no sense to give unconstructive criticism when the current technology is still in its infancy.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Ataxia wrote:
GwilymJJames wrote:And Shock! Horror! Vettel doesn't like changes that lots of other people don't like either! String him up!

It's not about the individual's reaction to the engines, it's about creating a positive image for the sport. The V6 era has been brought in to decrease F1's impact on the environment as well as introducing technology that will have relevance to the future development of the automotive sector. For Vettel to deride them as "shite", it creates bad publicity for F1 since he's the reigning champion on the grid and for all intents and purposes acts as some kind of figurehead. F1 fans need time to adapt to the new changes, and for Vettel to paint a bleak picture of them ensures that more fans feel alienated. If he could simply hold his tongue, then perhaps the easily-swayed won't jump to back his conclusion.

Jenson Button is absolutely right; if he doesn't like it, Vettel's more than entitled to go and do something else. It makes no sense to give unconstructive criticism when the current technology is still in its infancy

Which is funny, because I remember Button bitching a ton when tyre changes were reintroduced in 2006.....

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wallio wrote:Nope, its always been this way. Remember Colin Chapman once said "Grand Prix Racing is backstabbing and political intrigue, interrupted every fortnight by a motor race." He said that back in the 1960s

I stand corrected then, not these days but part of Formula 1 ever since. I still maintain that backstabbing and political intrigue are not part of sport in general as I struggle to think of another sport where stuff behind the scenes matter so much to the overall outcome.

GwilymJJames wrote:I don't recall tyres being changed because of Red Bull moaning. I remember tyres being changed because they were dangerous.

And Shock! Horror! Vettel doesn't like changes that lots of other people don't like either! String him up!

Yes that was the main reason behind the change. But Red Bull was the major player pushing for a comeback to 2012 spec and, let's not be naive, they were not pushing for a change because of safety, they were pushing because it fit their goals. Besides, they were the most vocal ones in their critique of last year tyres.

Vettel is entitled to not like the changes like everyone else, for sure. But he, more than anyone bar the other drivers, should give the rules a good try before being so critical. Like Mark Webber did before saying that the style of racing brought by Pirelli/FIA was not for his tastes. Not only this looks like desperation from his part as it also looks part of a bigger campaign against the rules coming from Red Bull. I find ironic though, that their great partners Renault were the ones pushing for a new smaller capacity hybrid engine regulation. Just imagine that if they had managed to pass their original formula of straigh-4s.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

McLaren ran what was meant to be a one-off livery in Australia. Any idea what livery they're running this weekend?
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

DanielPT wrote:I stand corrected then, not these days but part of Formula 1 ever since. I still maintain that backstabbing and political intrigue are not part of sport in general as I struggle to think of another sport where stuff behind the scenes matter so much to the overall outcome.

I would say the Olympics. There's always so much background BS ("super" swimsuits/bobsleds/shoes, corrupt judges, corrupt rundown venues, hardship stories etc.) its real easy to forget who actually is best at any given event.