The Closed/Destroyed Tracks Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Dead Track Thread

Post by FullMetalJack »

Holy crap, the resemblance is uncanny.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
nome66

Post by nome66 »

i always thought that Deep Forest looked a bit like Osterreich Ring but my opinion has now changed
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

Holy smokes! They are almost the same track! Now I'm itching to tackle the real Greenwood Roadway in GT5
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Now that my thread has been resurrected, I'll mention this. How about the Bridgehampton Race Circuit in Stag Harbour, New York. Built in 1957, it was used for several types of races such as Can-Am, NASCAR, Trans-Am, and even the World Sporstcar Championship. Closed in 1998 due to residential growth around the area. Now a golf course. Although parts of the track are still being used today as a public road.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgehampton_Race_Circuit
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

In my opinion, this is the best site for tracks: http://www.gdecarli.it/
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

My 'local' track would have been the Ingliston Circuit, on the grounds shared with the Royal Highland Show, next to Edinburgh Airport. It was never a very impressive track, but it was one of the few near Edinburgh, and geographically speaking the 'local' track of Ecurie Ecosse in its twilight years. Although I think the majority of events there were touring car races anyway.

http://www.ingliston-circuit.co.uk/

Nowadays it's only used for Supercar driving experiences, and occasionally meet-ups for local car clubs. But, as it has been for its entire history, it's primary purpose is hosting the Royal Highland Show.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

My "local" circuit would be Jyllands-Ringen, I think.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

My local track is Lydden Hill in Kent. It's a pretty well-known track, built to resemble Brands Hatch, although the final layout has the last two corners changed into a tight hairpin. The track hosts International Drifting Championships, NASCAR-style Championships, World Rallycross Championships and many more. Track-day's are available pretty much from March to October and it's where TopGear filmed their 'Rallycross-on-a-budget' episode.

I've been there for a few track-day's myself when I had my 106 GTI and Saxo race-car and it's a very quick little track. Entertainment all day at track-day events, good price, great atmosphere and the pit-lane is always open to the public so you can get up close to everything which is fantastic.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Croft is my local circuit, but I've never actually been :oops:
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
superdowg316

The Closed/Destroyed Tracks Thread

Post by superdowg316 »

Hey guys, I don't know whether this has been done or not, but (at this time) I've been looking at racing circuits that have fallen into disrepair, have been closed, destroyed or changed in a way which is....meh (cough 2002-Present Hockenheim cough) and though why not make a thread celebrating fallen tracks (i.e., pictures, videos etc, etc.)?

So, yeah, take it away. (too much of a nOOb to figure out how to post pictures)
Ole Ole Ole Senna Senna!

Why yes, I am a racing driver.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Closed/Destroyed Tracks Thread

Post by Nuppiz »

Merged with a couple of other threads on the same subject.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

I still disappointed why Brazilians destroys Jacarepagua for olympics
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

AxelP800 wrote:I still disappointed why Brazilians destroys Jacarepagua for olympics

The track was falling apart anyway. It was as much good use to them for motor racing as canoeing is to America.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AxelP800 wrote:I still disappointed why Brazilians destroys Jacarepagua for olympics

They're supposed to be building a replacement track in the north-west of the city, on Avenida Brasil. The only thing that's been made lately in Avenida Brasil though is another goddamn telenova... :roll:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

AdrianSutil wrote:My local track is Lydden Hill in Kent. It's a pretty well-known track, built to resemble Brands Hatch, although the final layout has the last two corners changed into a tight hairpin. The track hosts International Drifting Championships, NASCAR-style Championships, World Rallycross Championships and many more. Track-day's are available pretty much from March to October and it's where TopGear filmed their 'Rallycross-on-a-budget' episode.

I've been there for a few track-day's myself when I had my 106 GTI and Saxo race-car and it's a very quick little track. Entertainment all day at track-day events, good price, great atmosphere and the pit-lane is always open to the public so you can get up close to everything which is fantastic.

I will be going to Lydden Hill next weekend to see the British Rallycross Championship. Looking forward to it.

Going through the BTCC videos in the Youtube thread the other day got me wondering, what happened to Mondello Park?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:My local track is Lydden Hill in Kent. It's a pretty well-known track, built to resemble Brands Hatch, although the final layout has the last two corners changed into a tight hairpin. The track hosts International Drifting Championships, NASCAR-style Championships, World Rallycross Championships and many more. Track-day's are available pretty much from March to October and it's where TopGear filmed their 'Rallycross-on-a-budget' episode.

I will be going to Lydden Hill next weekend to see the British Rallycross Championship. Looking forward to it.

Whereas I will be at Brands Hatch (in the same county for those unfamiliar with English/British geography) for the first round of the BTCC!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
superdowg316

Post by superdowg316 »

If I may bring up a gem, a circuit I would like to mention is Calder Park in Victoria, Australia. It was originally a dirt track near Diggers Rest and Sunbury. It's first tarmac race was in 1962 and the speedway was built in 1987-1988. The road course hosted some non-championship F1 races back in the late 70's-about 1982-83 before they went to Adelaide. Then they hosted a WTCC event and was a regular V8 Supercar scheduled track before a dispute between founder Bob Jane and CAMS meant racing became abandoned in the early 2000's.

The speedway faired no more better. After a successful first event in 1988 where some NASCAR royalty came to race (including that years Daytona 500 winner Bobby Allison, Neil Bonnett who won the race, Michael Waltrip, Harry Gant and more) it sort of stumbled through the 90's with Australia's own NASCAR series doing decent most of the time. After the Aus NASCAR series went under in 2001, it's basically been just sitting there.

Nowadays, it hosts some legal drag racing stuff, track days, drift and the occasional Superkart event. There's been many issues in trying to get the track back up, most notably due to the ongoing family feud in the Jane family. Bob's son Rodney runs the track now, but the road course has already been heritage listed so it can't be knocked down and the 'Thunderdome' still sits there with the track sinking into the ground more and more.
Ole Ole Ole Senna Senna!

Why yes, I am a racing driver.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Biscione wrote:My 'local' track would have been the Ingliston Circuit, on the grounds shared with the Royal Highland Show, next to Edinburgh Airport. It was never a very impressive track, but it was one of the few near Edinburgh, and geographically speaking the 'local' track of Ecurie Ecosse in its twilight years. Although I think the majority of events there were touring car races anyway.

http://www.ingliston-circuit.co.uk/

Nowadays it's only used for Supercar driving experiences, and occasionally meet-ups for local car clubs...

...and also The Great Scottish Skate, thus giving it a striking similarity to Le Mans' Bugatti Circuit.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

dr-baker wrote:
watka wrote:

Whereas I will be at Brands Hatch (in the same county for those unfamiliar with English/British geography) for the first round of the BTCC!

I will be going to Thruxton for the BTCC in May and, fingers crossed, Brands Hatch for the final round!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Sorry for the resurrection of long dead threads, but I have just watched a recent 10 minute video about Le Circuit de Reims Gueux that I thought some of you might be interested in, and I thought this would be the best place for it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lkh6GxOM-yI&t=3s
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

dr-baker wrote:Sorry for the resurrection of long dead threads, but I have just watched a recent 10 minute video about Le Circuit de Reims Gueux that I thought some of you might be interested in, and I thought this would be the best place for it.

No need to apologise silly, this is literally what the forum is for. Thanks for sharing.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Butterfox wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Sorry for the resurrection of long dead threads, but I have just watched a recent 10 minute video about Le Circuit de Reims Gueux that I thought some of you might be interested in, and I thought this would be the best place for it.

No need to apologise silly, this is literally what the forum is for. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. And if This can have This as a User Name, I may consider changing mine to Silly in light of this post!
MCard LOLA