Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - 2014 Oz

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Shizuka

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - 2014 Oz

Post by Shizuka »

based on the assumption that, at any moment in time, there is a non-zero probability that even the slowest, most inexperienced and least reliable of underdogs might win the race. That under every rock, there might be a gold nugget. This is the award for that first podium that we all celebrate, for the overtake no-one was expecting, for JEV's first win. This is the award, in short, for the driver or team that makes you go "Woah! Where did THAT come from?!".

Just remember: this is a feel-good award, that will focus on nothing but track action.
Usual rules: everyone gets two votes. First vote is worth 10 points, the second 6.

Post your results until 21st March

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
the Masked Lapwing

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - 2014 Oz

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

1. Ricciardo
2. Magnussen
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

great gp!
1- Kevin Magnussen- amazing drive. A new star
2- Daniel Kvyat- good start to his career
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Eifelland

Post by Eifelland »

1. Magnussen - Yes Ricciardo did well, but this was Kevin's first GP. A thoroughly impressive debut, and unlucky not to take 2nd

2. Bottas - What a recovery...
Jocke1 is my spirit animal

Forza Minardi. Forza Bianchi. Forza Rejects.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

1. - Kevin Magnussen - simply superb pace and management all round
2. - Jenson Button - After a chaotic opening lap and what looked like pace problems able to only be five seconds off the podium
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
tkcom

Post by tkcom »

- Magnussen: A rookie podium on 1st race. Well done!
- Bottas: amazing recovery drive
Last edited by tkcom on 16 Mar 2014, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

1. Magnussen -- K-MAGS
2. Button -- The Jenson Interceptor intercepted 4th.

Ricciardo doesn't count -- he drives for Red Bull.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

1. Ricciardo
2. Button

Honourable mentions to Magnussen and the two former GP3 champs Bottas and Kvyat.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

1. Kevin Magnussen

2. Jenson Button
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

1. Kevin Magnussen - I have now won an avatar challenge, and arguably the most welcome sight in F1 at the moment.
2. Red Bull - Ricciardo on the podium is the most welcome sight F1 has seen in forever.

HM to Lotus for lasting as long as they did.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

1. Ricciardo - wasn't expecting the Red Bull to last the full distance, especially after Vettel packed up. Would have said a podium was highly improbable a couple of hours ago!

2. Bottas - excellent recovery drive and some very good, clean overtakes in that lovely Williams. I thought he was down and out after the tyre failure and maybe on for something like 9th or 10th. Top 6 and one step closer to unrejectification was very impressive.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

1. Magnussen
2. Ricciardo
3. Bottas
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

1. Magnussen
2. Button
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Something else I've just thought of, an honourable mention should go to Marussia, after what appeared to initially be an instant double DNF before the race had even started, to have Chilton do the full distance, and Bianchi be there at the end too, albeit too many laps down to be classified is a great result and good in terms of getting mileage on the car and understanding it. Hopefully something to build on in the next few races but clearly they and Caterham are still some way back from the rest in terms of race pace.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

1. Ricciardo - Absolutely fantastic. Probably one of the most popular 2nd place finishes since er, Scotty Mac at the Clipsal 500. :P

2. Magnussen - Brilliant drive. We have a new star in the making.

Honourable mentions to Lotus for getting both cars past half-distance, and Bottas for a great recovery drive. And Max Chilton, obviously. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

1. Bottas
2. Magnussen
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Jan Magnussen wrote:So, son, how was your first race?

Kevin Magnussen wrote:Let's see. Qualified fourth, which is better than you ever did. Finished third, so in one race I picked up more points than you did in your entire career, and would have done even in the old 1950s system, I've got a trophy in the cabinet, and better still, while the people at f1rejects.com are writing your reject profile, I've avoided that straight away and I'm winning Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race. Not bad, I'd say. Oh, and my suitcase is neater than yours as well.

Jan Magnussen wrote:*muttered Danish obscenities*

I suppose the honourable mention goes to Valtteri Bottas, who did what Maldolan couldn't do two years ago and scored more points in the first race of this season than Williams did in all of last year. Had he not bashed the wall early on, young Kev might not have been quite so smug on the phone to his dad.

The mildly sort-of-honourable mention goes to Max Chilton... who still doesn't know the meaning of the word "retirement", even though it was widely predicted to happen at this race.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

1. Valtteri Bottas - Had some mega pace all race, and probably would have finished in the top 4 without his meeting with the turn 10 wall
2. Kevin Magnussen - K-MAGS has arrived :D
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Kevin Magnussen wrote:Let's see. Qualified fourth, which is better than you ever did. Finished third, so in one race I picked up more points than you did in your entire career, and would have done even in the old 1950s system, I've got a trophy in the cabinet,

Not quite - I bet Ron got his mitts on it and squirrelled it off to the MTC trophy vault as fast as he could! :lol:

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

1. Bottas - what a beast recovery drive. Sterling effort.
2. Button's castrated nose

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

1. Kevin Magnussen - pretty flawless drive, all told. I had very high expectations of him, and he matched all of them.
2. Valtteri Bottas - drove through the field twice, only missed out on IIDOTR for stuffing it in the wall.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Magnussen
Ricciardo

Honourable mentions - Button and Bottas.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

1) Bottas
2) Magnussen
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Kevin Magnussen: Got a podium on his debut. It was especially impressive considering that McLaren failed to get one last year.
2. Daniel Ricciardo: He showed that he deserves a seat in a top team. Second place in a car that wasn't expected to finish the race.

Honorable mention:
Daniil Kvyat: Also scored points on his debut, becoming the youngest point scorer in F1 history. On almost any other weekend, he would have been in my IIDOTR top 2.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Eifelland wrote:1. Magnussen - Yes Ricciardo did well, but this was Kevin's first GP. A thoroughly impressive debut, and unlucky not to take 2nd

2. Bottas - What a recovery...

this for me
-*:-
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

tkcom wrote:- Magnussen: A rookie podium on 1st race. Well done!
- Ricciardo: unrejectified!

HM:
- Bottas: amazing recovery drive

As above - Bottas gets on my ROTR short list for clipping the wall as well, though.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

1 Lotus: If you said on Friday Lotus would get 80 laps done between their 2 cars in the race then they would have taken that. Grosjean was ahead of Guti on merit too
2 Bottas: If only he didn't hit the wall :(

K-Mags gets a HM at worst
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

1. Magnussen
2. Ricciardo
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Magnussen - Absolutely smashing debut, and a potential RookieOTY
Bo77as - Stellar work after that tyre puncture. His finishing position deserves a fine long post in "What if..." thread :D
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Magnussen
Ricciardo

Honourable mention to Hulkenberg for finally making it past lap 1 at Melbourne
I like the way Snrub thinks!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1. Magnussen
2. Ricciardo
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

1. Bo77as--Fantastic drive, don't care if he clipped the wall or not. Fantastic drive.

2. Ricciardo--If I had no prior knowledge of the race, and you tell me a driver qualified and finished second in a horrible Red Bull that the other driver retired in 5 laps, I'd say Vettel has done it again. But instead,it's Ricciardo in a role reversal,and a good one at that.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

Big stories of greatness today

1.-Kevin Magnussen: Humble pie for myself, as the kid save the car at the getaway, drove like a veteran and podium on his first race.

2.-Valteri Bottas: The racer of the day, Bottas fought, made a mistake, fought back, and was one of the few that made overtakes.

Honorable mentions to Daniel Ricciardo (early advantage over Seb and an Aussie on the podium in home), all rookies (yes, even Ericcson, since he's learning the hard way in Caterham) and Nico Hulkenberg (The Hulk didn't make a mistake and scored big)

The Clash of the Titans Award goes to Valteri Bottas just because he overtake people today :p
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

1. Magnussen. This fella's incredible.
2. Bottas, for doing what Maldonado couldn't in 2012.

HM: Daniil Kvyat, he looks very good indeed.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

This is a vey difficult one so I'm going for the two people who finished in a position I don't expect, despite qualifying results and overall car performance.

1. Kevin Magnussen
2. Daniel 'Ricky' Ricciardo

Utterly brilliant drives from two completely different styles of said driving. Magnussen had nothing to lose and Ricciardo had the weight if an entire continent in his shoulders and both finished in the podium. Fan-bloody-tastic!!

Honourable Mentions:

1. Max Chilton - Retirement clearly not in his vocabulary. And a 13th place may very well be enough.
2. Jenson Button - First weekend without Papa Smurf since his passing and he handled the situation well. Good lad.
3. Toro Rosso - I've never been a fan and dont expect much from them this season, but a good solid drive by both drivers regardless.
4. Valtteri Bottas - I could've cried when he clipped the wall.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:1. Ricciardo
2. Magnussen

Yup, same.
Just For One Day...
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

1- Kevin Magnussen: What a drive from the Danish rookie. Showing that he can translate junior speed into the big leagues in a way his proud father could only dream of, I hope the form continues for the rest of the season, as he may even have the pace to trouble the Mercs. Time will tell.

2 - Daniel Ricciardo / Ricky: His weekend was stellar. Best performance from anyone in a Red Bull not called Sebastian since 2010 by far. The pressure was off, he accepted the problems, worked through them and benefited with a fantastic result. Red Bull blatantly cheating has cast a damper over the drive, but his weekend was a whole was impressive. Whilst I recognise that Vettel may be the better driver - just - Ricky is looking like he can and will run him close, and if Seb continues to whinge and moan, the balance of power may just switch towards the likeable Aussie in the Red Bull garage over the season.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Well, once again going against the tide here.

My first nomination will go to McLaren. They were better than I expected. Much better than Ferrari and Force India. They have a good car to build on, unlike last year, above all a possible gem in Kevin Magnussen, who performed exactly as I secretly hoped (that is why he is part of my fantasy racers team).

My second nomination is Jenson Button. The wily old fox strikes again in quick smart decisions mode. Snatching a 4th after an even poorer qualifying session then his usual standard was certainly much better than I expected for him, so kudos.

I would happily vote for Bottas, but he did that driver error which ruined his podium chances so I won't. Besides, Williams is indeed very strong on the dry and that car was certainly above opposition.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

1) Valtteri Bottas: Yes he took off a tire by pushing a bit too hard, but that comeback really showed the pace of the Williams and what Bottas can do when he really needs to work. Awesome comeback!

2) Kevin Magnussen: Matched Hamilton's debut finish and put Mclaren back on the podium even before Ricciardo's DSQ. He never got past Ricciardo though, but for a rookie it was certainly an excellent run.
Last edited by CaptainGetz12 on 16 Mar 2014, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Would love to give points to Bottas, but he did make an error. Also, unlike many others it seems, I expected Ricciardo to get a podium. So...

1) Magnussen - Who, despite his good performance in quali, I didn't expect to get a podium! Pretty good for someone who looks about 12 years old.

2) Button - Good move through the order together with some good strategy. The old man would have been proud of that!