F1 Rejects meet in London 6th Feb

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

F1 Rejects meet in London 6th Feb

Post by watka »

Hi everyone, this probably should go in the HWNSNBM forum, but I suspect it would be missed by many if I did put it there.

After Enoch blurted out in the latest podcast that some of us might want to meet him on his trip to London, I took the liberty of contacting our dear webmaster, Jamie "Kuwashima" McGregor and surprisingly/reluctantly he was up for it! If you wish to join Jamie and myself, we will be at the Marquis Cornwallis pub on Thursday evening. The pub is in Russell Square, but is also pretty walkable from Kings Cross or Euston if you can avoid getting the tube: http://www.themarquiscornwalliswc1.co.uk/findus/

I have no idea about pubs in Bloomsbury so I hope its an OK one!

Hope to see you there!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Re: F1 Rejects meet in London 6th Feb

Post by Kuwashima »

I may even record a quick chat with watka for the next podcast...anyone else welcome to join in!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

I only wish I was in England right now :(
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Yeah, I'd like to try and make it, but Cardiff to London isn't exactly feasible for me tomorrow, unfortunately.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

watka wrote:Hi everyone, this probably should go in the HWNSNBM forum, but I suspect it would be missed by many if I did put it there.

After Enoch blurted out in the latest podcast that some of us might want to meet him on his trip to London, I took the liberty of contacting our dear webmaster, Jamie "Kuwashima" McGregor and surprisingly/reluctantly he was up for it! If you wish to join Jamie and myself, we will be at the Marquis Cornwallis pub on Thursday evening. The pub is in Russell Square, but is also pretty walkable from Kings Cross or Euston if you can avoid getting the tube: http://www.themarquiscornwalliswc1.co.uk/findus/

Hope to see you there!

I'll try to make it. If your mobile number hasn't changed, I'll send you a text.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Aerospeed wrote:I only wish I was in England right now :(

Exactly the same as you 8-)
Officially Retired
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Aerospeed wrote:I only wish I was in England right now :(

Same here... fortunately, we might be able to some day meet in Sarnia or London, Ontario. I think the fact I mention Sarnia suggests I live in the north central or western part of the state of Michigan as to make it equal distance for both.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I only wish I had more free time, but alas not...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Dammit, I have a placement interview tomorrow so I wouldn't be able to make it. A shame, but have fun y'all!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I'm in school so I can't make it but have fun anyway
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Whilst I'm free from uni tomorrow, there's no way in hell I can afford train tickets to London during weekdays. And there's the 48 hour tube strike taking place as well.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Faustus wrote:
watka wrote:Hi everyone, this probably should go in the HWNSNBM forum, but I suspect it would be missed by many if I did put it there.

Hope to see you there!

I'll try to make it. If your mobile number hasn't changed, I'll send you a text.

Same number as before. I'll probably be getting there around 6.30pm.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Like users such as East Londoner, I live near London but I wouldn't be able to visit. :(
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

Hope to see you there!

Were it during the weekend rather than the working week, I would have been tempted to join you - unfortunately, since it's a reasonably lengthy journey for me, I will sadly have to decline your offer.

As for decent pubs in London, I'm not familiar with the pubs in central London - if you were heading towards Hammersmith, I could recommend a few places that way that are worth checking out, though I suspect that is probably a long way out of your way to go.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Damn, if I wasn't in uni all day, i'd have totally been up for this.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

It may be very short notice, but if there's anyone who can make it...

I'll bring my piece of impromptu podcasting equipment!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

dr-baker wrote:I only wish I had more free time, but alas not...
Ataxia wrote:Dammit, I have a placement interview tomorrow
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I'm in school so I can't make it
FullMetalJack wrote:Damn, if I wasn't in uni all day, i'd have totally been up for this.

One day I'll introduce you all to two of my best friends, Michael Hookey and Peter Truancy. They're super nice guys.
Our favorite movie is Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
-*:-
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Jocke1 wrote:Our favorite movie is Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

My second favorite movie there, behind anything Monty Python :lol:

I'd be up for it...

If 1) I live across the Atlantic and further inland about 400-500 kms 2) Since I'm young, and my parents freaks about my own security, they'd never allow me until I'm much older. Well, for whoever is going, have fun!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

go_Rubens wrote: I'd be up for it...

If I live across the Atlantic

Great news, Rube. You can go! And it won't cost you a dime.

I have taken the liberty of charting out some awesome routes for you, all you have to do is make some print-outs, have them laminated and put your paddle skills to the test on your merry way. Follow my itinerary and you'll be alright. First get your parents to drive you to the nearest location of the Susquehanna River from where you live.
I assume it's not that far?
Then just paddle on south, going through Chesapeake Bay, until you reach the Atlantic.

*My route starts off from Virginia Beach onwards.*

Now, it's kind of against the norm, but if you have or can gain access to an enclosed hull kayak with a well defined keel, preferrably with a spray skirt attached, by far the safest, quickest, easiest and most accessible route is this:

Most likely some amateurs reading this will point out that open top kayaks (those without spray skirts or enclosed hulls) are more generally used while travelling in the ocean, but don't listen to them. They don't have a clue what they're talking about, to be frank.
Some kayaks can have attached rudders, canoes don't have this feature. You'll have to decide if you want them with you or not.

But if you fancy yourself more of a dare-devil, you can choose the considerably longer route. But be warned here Rube, it is much more perilous. I can't stress that enough, you need to have a strong will and the strength of two men if you are to succeed.
For this route you will need to leave the kayak at home, and instead get a hold of a flat water canoe. It is a far better choice:

In any case, whichever route you choose you should at all times wear a coast guard approved PFD whenever in either boat (not just have one on board).
If you want to make some stretches easier while paddling the Atlantic, you could attach a small motor on your canoe, if it has a flat back.
It adds weight, sure, but it's freakin' sweet. Image
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

Righto. Will see those of you that can make it - diniz and faustus - are you in too? - there at 6:30pm.
Left my F1 Rejects cap at home alas, so to make me distinguishable - I'll be in a white baseball cap with NY on it!
Cheers,
Jamie
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Kuwashima wrote:Righto. Will see those of you that can make it - diniz and faustus - are you in too? - there at 6:30pm.

I'm in. Looks like it'll be a repeat performance of the Silverstone tests...
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Shame I'm up the other end of the country - this sounds good. (No way of getting down there now I'm afraid!!)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Jocke1 wrote:
go_Rubens wrote: I'd be up for it...

If I live across the Atlantic

Great news, Rube. You can go! And it won't cost you a dime.

I have taken the liberty of charting out some awesome routes for you, all you have to do is make some print-outs, have them laminated and put your paddle skills to the test on your merry way. Follow my itinerary and you'll be alright. First get your parents to drive you to the nearest location of the Susquehanna River from where you live.
I assume it's not that far?
Then just paddle on south, going through Chesapeake Bay, until you reach the Atlantic.

*My route starts off from Virginia Beach onwards.*

Now, it's kind of against the norm, but if you have or can gain access to an enclosed hull kayak with a well defined keel, preferrably with a spray skirt attached, by far the safest, quickest, easiest and most accessible route is this:

Most likely some amateurs reading this will point out that open top kayaks (those without spray skirts or enclosed hulls) are more generally used while travelling in the ocean, but don't listen to them. They don't have a clue what they're talking about, to be frank.
Some kayaks can have attached rudders, canoes don't have this feature. You'll have to decide if you want them with you or not.

But if you fancy yourself more of a dare-devil, you can choose the considerably longer route. But be warned here Rube, it is much more perilous. I can't stress that enough, you need to have a strong will and the strength of two men if you are to succeed.
For this route you will need to leave the kayak at home, and instead get a hold of a flat water canoe. It is a far better choice:

In any case, whichever route you choose you should at all times wear a coast guard approved PFD whenever in either boat (not just have one on board).
If you want to make some stretches easier while paddling the Atlantic, you could attach a small motor on your canoe, if it has a flat back.
It adds weight, sure, but it's freakin' sweet. Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: I might nominate that for POTY just for personal reasons!

Although I do have one issue, that is I don't quite have the kayak or canoe roll down yet. So, that's too bad. Oh, wait. I at least can roll the boat using the backdeck handroll, but not using a paddle yet. I've still got a few years until I can attempt to qualify for an international ICF event, so I have time to learn and do things right. Well, maybe I'd be interested in trying crossing the Atlantic that way one day :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Kuwashima wrote:I may even record a quick chat with watka for the next podcast...anyone else welcome to join in!

That's the one upside for everyone that I couldn't make it.

Nobody wants to hear my strong Brummie accent on a podcast. Trust me, it's bad.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Kuwashima wrote:I may even record a quick chat with watka for the next podcast...anyone else welcome to join in!

That's the one upside for everyone that I couldn't make it.

Nobody wants to hear my strong Brummie accent on a podcast. Trust me, it's bad.

Oh man that makes me even more gutted I couldn't make it. And I sound like a more nasal James Hunt.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Julien

Post by Julien »

I hope you guys had a great day. Next time you could go a couple more hundred miles to the East and South ;)
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And now we're on the run, and you know we're having so much fun... being Formula One Rejects in London!

Those of you who were paying attention to the Silverstone Young Drivers' (and Gary Paffett) Test in July will know which one is me, which one is Watka and which one is Webmaster and Site Author Masami Kuwashima... I mean, Jamie McGregor.

Expect about 15 minutes of the next podcast to be handed over to said meeting when our overlord and loyal servant of HWNSNBM has finished his world tour and can edit it into something usable!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Diners flee Bloomsbury pub after fight breaks out between guests knocking food trays onto the floor.
*Diners were enjoying evening meals at The Marquis Cornwallis pub in London, at 31 Marchmont Street, near Russell Square, when an argument broke out between kitchen staff and guests.
*Three male individuals believed to be indentified by CCTV cameras as members of a Formula One internet forum then began tipping over food trays on to the floor.
*More than 20 diners were told to leave as the row escalated.
*Police were called to the scene but confirmed the incident was 'resolved amicably'.
*Manager Hui Sheng apologised to customers for what happened.

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
By Suzannah Hills
PUBLISHED: 15:10 GMT, 7 February 2014 | UPDATED: 15:14 GMT, 7 February 2014

Diners at a Bloomsbury pub were forced to flee after staff became embroiled in an angry bust-up with a number of hostile and violent patrons.
Staff were heard shouting at the patrons in a heated argument over the most rejectful driver in F1 history, before plates were thrown around the pub.
All of the food trays were tipped onto the floor and customers were sworn at as tempers boiled over.
More than 20 diners were forced to leave The Marquis Cornwallis, following the incident on Thursday evening.

Twenty diners enjoying dinner at The Marquis Cornwallis pub in London, pictured,
were forced to flee after an argument broke out between kitchen staff and guests.

Officers from Farringdon and Holborn Police attended
the scene after reports of a disturbance.

Student Dan Paterson, 18, was eating at the pub with friend Jack Baguley, when the incident happened.

More...
Muslim protestors demand restaurants and shops stop selling 'evil' alcohol warning them they face 40 lashes if they carry on
Construction stops at 2014 World Cup stadium where England will play after two workers die in 10 hours
IKEA recalls millions of children's lamps after 17-month-old British baby choked to death

Paterson: "We could hear an argument in the kitchen and we heard a pan drop. Three members of the staff then came out and there was more shouting. Then some guests tipped all the food trays on to the floor. Apparently the staff had been continuously aggravated by the people sitting next to us, three or four guys in their late twenties and thirties. I heard them all night talking about F1 drivers, I'm not much into sport but one of them spoke of someone named Luca Badoer, and how he was so much better than Gaston Mazzacane. This 6'4" waiter walked by and became really incensed when hearing them talk.
One of the kitchen staff came towards us not long after, saying he was sorry and wanted us to leave because, in his words, "a brouhaha was about to go down".
All of a sudden half the pub were engaged in fisticuffs, I saw some young girls crying. It was mayhem. Shocking."

Photo from Dan Paterson's cell phone.

continues Paterson: "We saw cooks coming out of the kitchen with knifes, it was crazy.
The bartender had a broken champagne glass that he tried to slice a guys neck open with!
The one with all the beard, I think. But he managed to break free. And then he shouted something about
'defending the honor of Pedro Diniz'."

Hui Sheng, manager of the pub, today apologised for the embarrassing incident and said the staff involved no longer work there.
He said: "I apologised to all of the customers and didn't charge any of them. It was a fight between kitchen staff and some guests. I am really sorry about what happened to our customers. I even went to the Holiday Inn which is nearby to apologise to their guests, too. Apparently the ruckus could be heard into the hotel rooms."

Farringdon police confirmed they were called to the Marquis Cornwallis and said the incident was resolved amicably.

Messy: The fight between staff and guests spread into the dining area
where they started throwing food trays on to the floor (stock image pictured).

The most active participants involved in the brawl, yet to be identified by police:

Share or comment on this article
Last edited by Jocke1 on 14 Feb 2014, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Post of the year clinched.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

That was brilliant Jocke! Except that I'm 24 so I'm deeply, DEEPLY offended by your suggestion that I'm at least in my late 20s.

Thanks to Jamie for putting up with us for the evening!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

watka wrote:I'm deeply, DEEPLY offended!

I am sorry, but you will have to take that up with Suzannah Hills.