GP Tracks we would like to see

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ross Prawn

GP Tracks we would like to see

Post by Ross Prawn »

To aid Bernie's planning I think we should suggest GP circuits that Herman Tilke be encouraged to build. They must reflect the local culture of the country or city concened.

For instance Enoch and Jamie have in the past suggested a Paris GP, around the Arc de Triumph, but without removing the Parisian traffic. In another thread it has been suggest that the Korean GP be run through the DMZ. This is all good stuff in my opinion. What other national circuits could we propose?

Perhaps the Venice GP? Or the Turin GP, following the route of the Italian Job?

Or maybe a Mexican GP that crosses the US border, at which point the drivers have to get out and run.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Salamander

Re: GP Tracks we would like to see

Post by Salamander »

I like your idea for the Mexican GP. What about a Czech GP at Brno? We might actually see Vaclav Bervid make his debut.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Waris

Post by Waris »

What about a track around the hillside of Vanuatu?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

What about an American GP where they try to drive away from stone throwing rednecks ala Top Gear? or a London GP where you race through the congestion charge?
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

How about a Los Angeles GP through the freeway systems of LA replete with police encouraged to engage in high speed chases? Maybe give the cops IRL cars to somewhat even things up?
IntegratorTypeR

Post by IntegratorTypeR »

Debaser wrote:or a London GP where you race through the congestion charge?

Yeah I could see it now.....

"...and into the pits comes race leader Lewis Hamilton.. and wait what's happening here... race stewards have clamped his Mclaren for failure to pay the congestion charge! His team are trying to argue that they HAVE paid it, but the stewards obviously think they're lying" :lol:
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

What about a Sydney GP where the drivers have to catch a train at some point on the track? :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

The Vatican.
XurizManson

Post by XurizManson »

Heeey... streets of Paris at night... would be nice to see.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

I'm definitely thinking the Iraqi Grand Prix.

Nothing says fun like American troops.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

A Chicago Grand Prix where the drivers must navigate the South Side with gangs (hello Vice Lords) shooting at the drivers (we ARE the murder capitol of America), then navigate Dan Ryan expressway during rush hour, and then navigate through a track designed to look like Mayor Daley's ego (it will make Monaco look like a straight line as far as how hard that would be, it would have Mariokart-esque jumps), the winner will be the first one to find a parking space in downtown Chicago without using valets or paid car parks.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Cynon wrote:A Chicago Grand Prix where the drivers must navigate the South Side with gangs (hello Vice Lords) shooting at the drivers (we ARE the murder capitol of America), then navigate Dan Ryan expressway during rush hour, and then navigate through a track designed to look like Mayor Daley's ego (it will make Monaco look like a straight line as far as how hard that would be, it would have Mariokart-esque jumps), the winner will be the first one to find a parking space in downtown Chicago without using valets or paid car parks.

No the winner will be the first driver to get on a flight out of Chicago O'Hare that has not been delayed
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
tastyhouse

Post by tastyhouse »

GP of Venice: amphibious F1 cars with pontoons, paddlewheels, pit crews in gondalas, safety boats, nelshino's car hoisted off track by fishing net, loads of good stuff.
Chilled Phill

Post by Chilled Phill »

Of all the topics on the F1 Rejects forum without a certain country's mention. All I can say is where's Vanuatu's mention gone...? :lol:

Although it would be nice to see GP cars back to Brands Hatch, it'll be particularly interesting to see the start as all 20 cars navigate through Paddock Hill bend - causes chaos in touring car races. :D
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Maybe they should try to drive on a Finnish swamp with only a narrow track of solid ground (wide enough to allow overtaking though). I'd love to see Nelsinho trying to get out of his car before it sinks!
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Wow, fertile topic.

I like the idea of a Vatican GP, presumably the pits would be inside St Peters.

And the Finnish GP would surely have to be on snow, like the rally.

How about a Columbian GP, where the cars are filled with a mysterious white powder (where is Stepney nowadays?). Then then have to get to the harbour whilst being pursued by helicopter gunships. Come to think of it this could be combined with a Columbia to Miami F1 powerboat race.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

How about the Russian Grand Prix through some of their famously muddy Siberian Roads? Every time a driver makes a pitstop there is a 10% chance he will be hauled off without warning to Max's gulag and...
alvaro3d

Post by alvaro3d »

Living in Chile I would love to see an Argentinian Grand Prix again, last year FIA GT's final round was at Potrero de los Funes in San Luis and it seems that FIA GT people found it a very good place to race:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potrero_de ... es_Circuit
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

IntegratorTypeR wrote:
Debaser wrote:or a London GP where you race through the congestion charge?

Yeah I could see it now.....

"...and into the pits comes race leader Lewis Hamilton.. and wait what's happening here... race stewards have clamped his Mclaren for failure to pay the congestion charge! His team are trying to argue that they HAVE paid it, but the stewards obviously think they're lying" :lol:

:lol:

US Grand Prix at Texas Motor Speedway. Champ Car fans know exactly what I mean.

For South American fun, why not a Chilean GP? There was a street track the local F3 series ran on with sections about as wide as the cars. Unfortuantely, I'm having problems accessing the site today, so I can't give a direct link to the video.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
alvaro3d

Post by alvaro3d »

For South American fun, why not a Chilean GP? There was a street track the local F3 series ran on with sections about as wide as the cars. Unfortuantely, I'm having problems accessing the site today, so I can't give a direct link to the video.

I think you probably mean this track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weiZXXNF ... playnext=1

well considering latest Malaysian GP madness I think that Bernie could do a round here, but please don't forget about european TV viewers!
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

alvaro3d wrote:

I think you probably mean this track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weiZXXNF ... playnext=1

well considering latest Malaysian GP madness I think that Bernie could do a round here, but please don't forget about european TV viewers!

That's exactly the one, thanks. For the European viewers, a GP at sunrise might be on order. The lighting can only get brighter :idea:
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

The corporate hospitality in Chile looks a little basic. But I think they should keep it like that. And like in the video, there should only be one little puppy on the grid for Brundle to talk to before the race.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

If we're talking publicocrap like this, I love European microstates. Located in the Alps, in between Austria and Switzerland, lies the tiny duchy of Liechtenstein. It's famous as a taxpayer's retreat, so one can imagine there would be enough money available to host such an event.

And if we're talking about a Mountain GP, the jet set crowd at St. Moritz and Davos in Switzerland would surely love to see a race there as well, now that it's allowed again in Switzerland.

If we're talking seriously, I'd say bring back the Ile De Notre Dame in Montreal, Canada. Then, have 3 races in the US: redevelop Laguna Seca to FIA Grade 1 status to hold the USA West GP, return to Indy for the US Central GP and find a track that would host a USA East GP. Works on Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City could also provide some very interesting races - if - the Peraltada is kept in some fashion.

But now let's see how Donington will turn out to be like.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

If we're talking a mountain GP, how about the US Central at Pikes Peak? Nelsinho would find this very challenging.

Or Bathurst ??
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

How about a Columbian GP, where the cars are filled with a mysterious white powder (where is Stepney nowadays?). Then then have to get to the harbour whilst being pursued by helicopter gunships. Come to think of it this could be combined with a Columbia to Miami F1 powerboat race.

It never takes very long for jokes like this to come up.

Well at least my kin has managed to permanently implant itself in the popular culture. End does not justify the means however! :?
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Ok, I apologise to all Colombians. :oops:

Waris wrote:What about a track around the hillside of Vanuatu?

Having just read up on Vanuatu, it appears that the 'hill' is in fact an active volcano. Definitely has potential. ;)
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Ross Prawn wrote:Ok, I apologise to all Colombians. :oops:

Waris wrote:What about a track around the hillside of Vanuatu?

Having just read up on Vanuatu, it appears that the 'hill' is in fact an active volcano. Definitely has potential. ;)

We can always hope that Bernie's helicopter falls in.
Life w12

Post by Life w12 »

Yannick wrote:If we're talking publicocrap like this, I love European microstates. Located in the Alps, in between Austria and Switzerland, lies the tiny duchy of Liechtenstein. It's famous as a taxpayer's retreat, so one can imagine there would be enough money available to host such an event.

And if we're talking about a Mountain GP, the jet set crowd at St. Moritz and Davos in Switzerland would surely love to see a race there as well, now that it's allowed again in Switzerland.

If we're talking seriously, I'd say bring back the Ile De Notre Dame in Montreal, Canada. Then, have 3 races in the US: redevelop Laguna Seca to FIA Grade 1 status to hold the USA West GP, return to Indy for the US Central GP and find a track that would host a USA East GP. Works on Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City could also provide some very interesting races - if - the Peraltada is kept in some fashion.

But now let's see how Donington will turn out to be like.

Here's Tilke's redesign of Donington, At least he used most of the old track
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I'm pretty sure the owners of Donington requested that the section from Craner to Coppice remained intact. And if you look at this video, you'll see there's some nice elevations that have been worked in.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
runningboots

Post by runningboots »

I've driven Donington at Jim Russell (I attended years ago on the same week as Darren Turner) and at subsequant trackdays. It is a beautiful flowing circuit and Senna's balls must have been like a pair of golden delicious when he took Wendlinger in '93. I think the GP race there will be much better than at Silverstone with a real indication of talent showing.

I'd like to see the US GP at Road America
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

Captain Hammer wrote:I'm pretty sure the owners of Donington requested that the section from Craner to Coppice remained intact. And if you look at this video, you'll see there's some nice elevations that have been worked in.

It's nice to have the race coming back to Donington. The new section has a hill steeper than Eau Rouge, and, as Senna proved in '93, the rest of the track has overtaking opportunities. Maybe Tilke's done something good this time.

One problem I can see, especially as someone who lives near the track, is the Eco-Warrior's decision to make it public transport only. I wonder just how many people they can cram on a run-down, perpetually late train service which ends three miles from the track, and buses which, while good, will not cope with 200 extra people going to the track, let alone the tens of thousands expected. The track may be good, but no one will go, and the sport will move away after the 5 year deal. Hopefully back to Brands Hatch, instead of Silverstone.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

I must say the CGI onboard lap is quite impressive. They are turning it into a great circuit.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I'm very happy that the British GP is coming to Donington but then I did live in Castle Donington for a year so I've got a soft spot for it!
I've never been that fond of SIlverstone - when the British GP alternated I always preferred Brands Hatch and I went to Silverstone for a BTCC meeting last year and was shocked at how things like the rickety old bridge that you cross to get to the paddock are still there. Quite shocking really.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Apart from Donington, F1 is lacking another high speed circuit besides Monza, so the restored Österreichring is probably the only one that's left. Portimao/Algarve should also be in because it's beautiful. Indy, too, for the need of a USGP. The new Hockenheim is likely on its way out, and I wouldn't miss it too much even though it's not that far away from my place (Nürburgring is nearer, though). What else? Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez should be back, but if F1 returns to Mexico, it's somewhat likely that it'll turn out to be yet another of those trendy Marina circuits ;-|
SennaStraight

Post by SennaStraight »

The driver's could race through stopping for fuel, tyre stops and to pay the congestion charge. Although knowing London roads at weekends, it would probably be quicker for them to get around the track on the tube.
Murray - "First man out is Marques in the Arrows. Of course he's going out early to generate some media interest"
Martin - "I'm sure he would generate some interest if he went out in the Arrows because Marques drives for Minardi"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Yannick wrote:Indy, too, for the need of a USGP.
I fail to see why there is such a pressing need for an American race. I understand that all the continents should be covered, but America simply doesn't have a circuit worthy of hosting the race. Indy is boring as bat droppings, Laguna Seca and Infineon are too steep in places for the cars to be able to take the safely, Miller is simply too long, and most importantly, the success of an American event typically coincides with the sucess of an American driver in the sport. The presence of USGPE from 2010 will no doubt draw some interest, but just about every racing facility in Canada from Montreal to Mosport and Mont-Tremblant is superior to the American circuits. There's simply no need for an American race; the American car market is in the tank with the General himself under threat of going under, and all the money is in Asia. Until the global economy starts to stablise and Motor City start getting back on its feet, there's no real place for Formula One; IndyCar and NASCAR both have far more popularity, and so anything effort from Formula One would be a token effort at best. If there's anywhere tht really needs a Grand Prix, it's Poland or somewhere in Eastern Europe given the rise in popularity of Robert Kubica. Ecclestone has always gone where the money and the demand for the sport will lead him, and the collective voices of the East far outweigh anything the Americans can do to make themselves heard.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Yannick wrote:Indy, too, for the need of a USGP.
I fail to see why there is such a pressing need for an American race. I understand that all the continents should be covered, but America simply doesn't have a circuit worthy of hosting the race. Indy is boring as bat droppings, Laguna Seca and Infineon are too steep in places for the cars to be able to take the safely, Miller is simply too long, and most importantly, the success of an American event typically coincides with the sucess of an American driver in the sport. The presence of USGPE from 2010 will no doubt draw some interest, but just about every racing facility in Canada from Montreal to Mosport and Mont-Tremblant is superior to the American circuits. There's simply no need for an American race; the American car market is in the tank with the General himself under threat of going under, and all the money is in Asia. Until the global economy starts to stablise and Motor City start getting back on its feet, there's no real place for Formula One; IndyCar and NASCAR both have far more popularity, and so anything effort from Formula One would be a token effort at best. If there's anywhere tht really needs a Grand Prix, it's Poland or somewhere in Eastern Europe given the rise in popularity of Robert Kubica. Ecclestone has always gone where the money and the demand for the sport will lead him, and the collective voices of the East far outweigh anything the Americans can do to make themselves heard.

I couldn't agree more, even when F1 returned to America with racing at Indy, it never really grabbed the full attention of America. Did the addition of Scott Speed to the grid ignite any more interest in American viewers??
As regards Eastern Europe, I feel this is why we still have the Hungarian Grand Prix on the calendar. It's also extremely popular with Finnish supporters which may leave Bernie to think that he's catering to the supporters of Raikonnen/Kovalainen and Kubica as it is.
Kimi: "I was having a sheeet."
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

America is still the world superpower, and most of the world's big companies are based there. Also America is a massive market for manufacturers and sponsors to advertise their products, hence the need for an American GP or at the very least a Canadian GP. I'd love Road America to be an F1 track, its a great track and the only circuit in America which would provide an entertaining race. But the run off at some parts of the track is very small, and I doubt it would be safe. Also its in Wisconsin, one of the quietest American markets. I live in hope though...
Reverie Planetarian

Post by Reverie Planetarian »

Manila, specifically the over and underpasses going around Makati City. Anyone who's played PGR2 and raced in Hong Kong, imagine basically that. Except worse.
Some say he plans to put an S921 on the Goodwood 2012 run, and that he DOES know what Deletraz is doing.
All we know is...he's called Perry McCarthy!

...we'll never see an S921 at Goodwood, will we?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I think a Manx Grand Prix around the 37 mile TT course must be worthy of consideration. Can you imagine any of the drivers doing a 'Gilles Villeneuve' for 37 miles dragging their damaged race car back to the pits? Spectacular scenery round a mountain, it's a micro-state in the middle of the Irish sea and the weather could be havoc. Not much chance of pit stragety coming into play on a circuit that length either - you would only have just over 5 laps before getting to the 190-mile limit...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA