Your Reject of the Race - Abby Dabby

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Abby Dabby

Post by Londoner »

In a fairly dull grand prix, one man was head and shoulders above the rest for this award. And his name is:

Kimi Raikkonen - That was just pathetic.

Honourable mention to the DRS - I lost count of how many times the car that had been passed in the first DRS zone just breezed back past on the second straight. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
apple2009

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Abby Dabby

Post by apple2009 »

East Londoner - For spelling Abu Dhabi incorrectly.
Shizuka - For spelling Abu Dhabi incorrectly.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Apple2009 for forgetting the existence of Jonathan Legard. ;)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

apple2009 wrote:East Londoner - For spelling Abu Dhabi incorrectly.
Shizuka - For spelling Abu Dhabi incorrectly.

You have absolutely zero sense of humour, and I wonder how you live like that.

It's gotta be Raikkonen. Turns up on Friday, doesn't really try, goes home without finishing a lap.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Nobody was rejectful enough. No ROTR from me
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

1. Sauber Pit Crew (costing themselves many points and Nico the chance to overtake PDR in the WDC.)
2. Race Stewards (for being incapable of making decisions.)
-*:-
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Race Stewards - Come on, man.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

apple2009 for nominating other users for no good reason. Not cool.

But on a more serious note...

Kimi Raikkonen - Awful weekend. No motivation. Crashed at Turn 1 on Lap 1 after starting last.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Kimi Raikkonen. Lazy first corner crash, looked like he couldn't be bothered.

Um, looking hard for a 2nd nomination, Toro Rosso were awful in the race so them, yahey.
Message me on Discord.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Lewis Hamilton for an afternoon of crapoid...Rosberg is now only 16 points behind..

ROTR should only be applicable to guys who are being paid.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

-My nomination is Kimi Räikkönen, for that crash.

-The race itself. For the first time since many years, I turned the television off mid-race. Absolutely no battles in the top 5, a dominant Vettel victory, ridiculous DRS zones, showing how artificial this overtakin is, nothing unpredictable happened all race long. The only person who could've made the race a bit more interesting decided to crash into a Caterham.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Kimi Raikkonen: Calling that crash pathetic is putting it nicely.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

wsrgo wrote:Lewis Hamilton for an afternoon of crapoid...Rosberg is now only 16 points behind..

Didn't stop Raikkonen from getting it last time out, did it?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

pi314159 wrote:-My nomination is Kimi Räikkönen, for that crash.

-The race itself. For the first time since many years, I turned the television off mid-race. Absolutely no battles in the top 5, a dominant Vettel victory, ridiculous DRS zones, showing how artificial this overtakin is, nothing unpredictable happened all race long. The only person who could've made the race a bit more interesting decided to crash into a Caterham.

This race was no worse than Abu Dhabi 2009-10...
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

My three nominations:

3. Ferrari. Their strategy worked well, but the car lacked pace, which is a bad sign for a race. Alonso missed Q3, Massa was only 8th in Q3, and their pace in the race was slow. Even when staying out, Vettel still gets out of the pits in front of them. Disgraceful weekend from the Scuderia.

2. Williams. Williams had a chance to score with Bottas, and to a certain extent Maldonado as well. But when Bottas had his best chance to score his first F1 points, a horrible pit stop knocked him down to 17th. I mean, their pit work has been awful this year as well. They had a perfect chance, and they blew it. At least Maldonado finished ahead of Button, even if Jenson had an extra stop. But Pastor was faster in the end.

1. McLaren. I don't understand. Their race was awful. Both cars did what was expected, well, more or less. But the fact of the matter is, it's about time a ROTR goes to them, and they got their arses swiftly kicked by a struggling Force India, which is more or less the perfect way to get it. Maldonado beating Button in a straight fight only adds salt to the wound.

Honorable mentions:

FIA Stewards. Going off-track is fine in India, but it isn't here?! You can't fix stupid, which is what the FIA has turned into.
Kimi Räikkönen. That was very feeble for Kimi standards. Just piteous.
Sauber. Hülk has a perfect chance to score big, and they messed up. And Gutiérrez was awful as normal.
Toro Rosso. Ricciardo gets to Q3. Vergne runs in the top 10. 16th and 17th respectively.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

pi314159 wrote: ridiculous DRS zones, showing how artificial this overtakin is.

http://youtu.be/lLSrF6z9jls?t=20s
-*:-
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

wsrgo wrote:
pi314159 wrote:-My nomination is Kimi Räikkönen, for that crash.

This race was no worse than Abu Dhabi 2009-10...

You're right, it was better than 2009. And 2010 would've been equally as bad without the championship battle. Maybe it is because this season has generally reduced my interest in Formula 1.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

So, Kimi gets an ROTR from most guys because of one crash. People are saying "he had a bad weekend". Bad weekend? Kimi was ahead of Grosjean all weekend. Lotus let him down by their callousness in qualifying. His only mistake was T1. And what? He gets crucified by f1rejects.

go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

wsrgo wrote:So, Kimi gets an ROTR from most guys because of one crash. People are saying "he had a bad weekend". Bad weekend? Kimi was ahead of Grosjean all weekend. Lotus let him down by their callousness in qualifying. His only mistake was T1. And what? He gets crucified by f1rejects.

I thought Grosjean was quicker than him. Maybe Lotus in general should get it for the political warfare they caused and is still going on.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

wsrgo wrote:So, Kimi gets an ROTR from most guys because of one crash. People are saying "he had a bad weekend". Bad weekend? Kimi was ahead of Grosjean all weekend. Lotus let him down by their callousness in qualifying. His only mistake was T1. And what? He gets crucified by f1rejects.

This was the person who won the race last year. This was the person who we expected to make a hard charge through the field to score comfortably in the points, even maybe getting a podium. Instead, we see said person perform an embarrassing Karthikeyan-esque crash at the first corner, and on top of that it was the only retirement during the race.

To be quite honest, it was embarrassing to watch, doubly so since Raikkonen is a top rated driver.
Last edited by Dan B on 03 Nov 2013, 15:23, edited 2 times in total.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Raikkonen. Bad Start + Silly crash in the first corner. A weekend to forget and IMO, enough reasons for the ROTR.

Special Mention:

Stewards: I totally disagree with Hulkenberg penalty and Alonso clearly gain advantage against Vergne and If I remember well, Sutil and Maldonado had a similar situation. Hulk was punished in Yas Marina in a very similar situation of Alonso and Vergne.

Hamilton: Second race in a row being totally outpaced by Rosberg.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Um
Tough call this weekend due to a lack of rejection from plenty of drivers
However I think its unlikely that Kimi will get the award twice in a row. However he really was poor and there is only one other thing that was worse. If he doesn't get paid maybe put another driver in for the last two races (maybe a shoot off between the Hulk and Maldanado!)

My ROTR goes to
Williams!! On a day where they could have got a point for Bottas they managed to mess up a pit-stop so badly that it wrecked their race.

I would like to say that its unfair to nominate members because they were having a sense of humour about the race name. Lighten up!!!
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Lewis Hamilton - seriously what's happened to him? I think this is more worrying than 2011 when he was getting into scrapes with Massa all the time and being too agressive, he now seems to be the polar opposite in just being too passive! He's looking like Alex Wurz or Kazuki Nakajima did in comparison to Rosberg.

Also I would nominate Lotus over Raikkonen - it's their fault he was sent to the back of the grid, and anything can happen when you're starting in amongst the Caterhams and Marussias.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

I know people keep bringing this up but does anyone have a replay for what happened between Sutil and Maldonado? NBC never aired one and I am curious as to how that incident happened.

Also, I think Hulkenberg's DT was a fair call. Yes, it did cost him any sort of chance at the points, but I was expecting a collision between him and Perez when he was released. If there's anyone to blame for that DT, it's Sauber, not the stewards.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

All of it. Dull, dull, dull
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
mario

Post by mario »

wsrgo wrote:Lewis Hamilton for an afternoon of crapoid...Rosberg is now only 16 points behind..

His performance in the race was a little underwhelming, but on the other hand I can imagine that his confidence took a major knock when Mercedes decided to change his rear brake disks on the grid itself (particularly since it came on the back of his rear suspension failing in qualifying). Even the best of drivers would undoubtedly have some concerns in the back of their mind over reliability, not to mention the fact that changing the rear brake disks that late in the day might have upset the brake balance a bit too.

Dan B wrote:I know people keep bringing this up but does anyone have a replay for what happened between Sutil and Maldonado? NBC never aired one and I am curious as to how that incident happened.

Also, I think Hulkenberg's DT was a fair call. Yes, it did cost him any sort of chance at the points, but I was expecting a collision between him and Perez when he was released. If there's anyone to blame for that DT, it's Sauber, not the stewards.

Basically, Maldonado tried to pass Sutil on the inside but overshot a bit on the brakes and ended up going wide, whilst Sutil, on the outside, overshot his braking point even more, went even wider and cut across the run off at Turn 13. Perez, who had been gaining on both drivers, was able to pass Maldonado when the latter returned to the track, whilst Sutil managed to hold on to his position when he returned to the track after running wide.
Now, the stewards have said that whilst Sutil did cut the track, they feel that he did not gain a significant advantage by doing so - it seems that their reasoning was that, with Maldonado on the inside, Sutil could not have taken his normal line and was therefore forced wide, whilst his relative position to Perez was unchanged as a result of his actions.

I'd also agree that, on balance, the penalty for Hulkenberg's unsafe release is justifiable - as soon as I saw the move, I had a gut feeling that it would end up in a drive through because it did look as if Perez was forced to hit the brakes to avoid contact. It's unfortunate for Hulkenberg, but I think that the decision is justified in that situation - and, because of how much it cost them, I'd say that the team rather than the driver deserves a nomination there.

James1978 wrote:Also I would nominate Lotus over Raikkonen - it's their fault he was sent to the back of the grid, and anything can happen when you're starting in amongst the Caterhams and Marussias.

I think that, on balance, whilst both may have made mistakes it is Lotus who deserve more criticism. OK, it has to be said that Kimi's first corner move was poor - the drivers ahead of him were always going to turn into him and it showed a certain lack of judgement on Kimi's part - but Lotus haven't been entirely blameless either (they'd have probably been better off starting Kimi from the pit lane and modifying the set up to boot).

Overall, then, I guess that it has to be pit lane blunders that get the awards - both Sauber and Williams, teams that can ill afford to throw away points, blew their chances of scoring points with botched stops.
McLaren perhaps deserve an honourable mention too - Force India's small upturn in performance in the last few races has narrowed the gap between themselves and McLaren in the WCC again (down from 25 points to 18), so there is still some threat to McLaren's position in the WCC. Having shown promise in the practise sessions, their pace in the race itself was not as strong as you would have expected and I think that both drivers will be leaving a little disappointed not to have achieved more.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

This will be a single nomination

The Stewards of Abby Dabby: So, someone explain me why Alonso and Sutil escaped clear as water penalties while Hulkenberg was penalized for what looked as a racing incident? Double standards biased as...

Dishonorable mentions to Kimi Raikkonen (first lap troll), Jenson Button (did anyone saw him?) and Williams (great oportunity to score wasted by flopped pit stop)

The Somebody Please Shut Him Already Award goes to Max Chilton his latest publicocrap (ruling out The Hulk's return to FA) is as great as his TALENT, and that's not help his cause
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Kimi - behaved petulantly all weekend. Sooner or later his attitude is going to overtake his talent.

Initially I thought he'd deliberately parked it. Now I see he didn't. But if you are starting from the back, you cruise for the first couple of laps, let the field spread out then start picking people off. Beginners mistake really.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Stramala wrote:apple2009 for nominating other users for no good reason. Not cool.

But on a more serious note...

Kimi Raikkonen - Awful weekend. No motivation. Crashed at Turn 1 on Lap 1 after starting last.

+1
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

SeedStriker wrote:This will be a single nomination

The Stewards of Abby Dabby: So, someone explain me why Alonso and Sutil escaped clear as water penalties while Hulkenberg was penalized for what looked as a racing incident? Double standards biased as...

How is an unsafe release a racing incident!?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

The British Drivers bar Di Resta: If any race summed up how useless they've been this season it was this one. Hamilton couldn't overtake a Sauber while even Grosjean who was slowest of all in the speed trap got past them. Button wasted a chance to get a top 5 and Chilton as usual plugged away in last place all while Germany's leading Messiah's take a second double podium in 2 weeks. Pathetic

Charles Pic: Didn't he disobey team orders? If so it probably proves that Van der Garde is better than him

The Race Itself: Now I don't like to brag but it's really bad news if i decide that going to the cinema is more interesting than watching F1 having been an F1Fanatic for 12 years out of 16 i've had on this planet. The only good thing about the result was that my 2 favorite drivers were on the podium. Sorry if I'm being a bit like Paul di Resta but that's what i think
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Well that sucked.

Vettel recording a Schumi-esque 7th straight win (well done to him) was expected. But it was so frustrating that Webber came 2nd yet again (he would have finished 2nd in India too if the car held together) and he has just two races left to win. There was passing aplenty, but it was meaningless and I agree with many of you about the DRS zones. There should be one on the pit straight and the other on just one of the back straights, not 2 in a row. Pathetic.
The thing that annoyed me most was how once again the underdog cars failed to surprise us. From 5th, I was hoping Hulkenberg would score a podium and instead he dropped back from the start and eventually got a DTP. Grosjean, even with something like P3 on the grid, wouldn't have challenged the Red Bulls anyway. Nice move from Kimi...
I won't give the award to the race because that has never happened and never will, so I'll nominate the track for producing yet more garbage. I gained so much praise for the track after the 2012 race which is still the best race I've seen on live TV yet, but that in effect was a fluke when you watch today's GP and now most of that praise has gone. BTW, I am pleased I didn't watch the race live, I had to go to an open day for my local uni! :P

REJECT OF THE RACE
The Yas Marina Circuit
From hero in 2012 to absolute zero in 2013
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:The British Drivers bar Di Resta: If any race summed up how useless they've been this season it was this one. Hamilton couldn't overtake a Sauber while even Grosjean who was slowest of all in the speed trap got past them. Button wasted a chance to get a top 5 and Chilton as usual plugged away in last place all while Germany's leading Messiah's take a second double podium in 2 weeks. Pathetic

Now, if we'd like to sit down, calm down, and actually analyse this with just a little rational thought, as shocking as that concept may be.

Hamilton: His race ruined by turn 1, thanks to Rosberg, Vettel and Webber crowding him out at the start, and a poor last qualifying lap.
Button: The McLaren again wasn't stellar, but his race was ruined by the first lap incident. However, Button has taken the blame for this. Everyone makes mistakes, Button could have had a top 5, but a rare bad decision from Jenson cost him the race. Or are you so blinded with rage at Vettel's dominance that you can't see this?
Chilton: Max is only here for his money, we all know that, and the fact it's his debut year in F1 cant help him out. Also, he is driving a Marussia. A Marussia. If you expect a rookie pay driver in a Marussia to do anything but trundle around at the back, I don't think F1 is the sport for you.

As for the 'German Messiahs', as you referred to them during your fit of jealous rage, Sebastian Vettel is one of the best drivers on the grid, in the best car, and in the form of his life. No one looked like challenging him all weekend, to be honest. The Mercedes is not as good as it was mid-season, and added to that Hamilton cocked up his lap - do you really think he could have stood a chance against Vettel? Not at all.

As for Rosberg, he had a good start, and was lucky with his pit stop and strategy. The race was always a battle for 2nd place, and although Nico in the end just missed out to Mark, him, Mark, and Grosjean were luckier with the strategy and luckier with the traffic as well. IF is F1 spelt backwards, remember. Luck is either with you or against you in F1, and today is one of those days for British drivers.

So, the next time a Vettel victory rubs you up the wrong way, take the time to think about things properly, rather than pour mindless hate onto British drivers. You summed it up quite nicely yourself: 'pathetic.'
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Sauber pit crew because Hulkenberg would have got points if not for that dopey move. Where would he have ended up, 6th or 7th maybe?
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Pasta, calm it. You should know by now that the ROTR threads aren't complete without Freeze-O-Kimi's mental rants about the British drivers, and how they are all utterly dreadful compared to the Oh So Wonderful Sebastian Vettel and other German drivers.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

SeedStriker wrote:The Somebody Please Shut Him Already Award goes to Max Chilton his latest publicocrap (ruling out The Hulk's return to FA) is as great as his TALENT, and that's not help his cause

Hmm Where did you find that out?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Here's my thoughts:

Bronze - Jenson Button
Well beaten by Perez for the second race running. Didn't make Q3 whilst Perez did, anonymous in the race, finishing behind finishing ahead on merit of only Gutierrez and the 2 dreadful Toro Rossos.

Silver - DRS zones
Not the first race where these have been a problem, but the FIA should have realised by now. DRS to aid overtakes going into a corner = yes. DRS to allow people to overtake halfway down a straight = no. No daring overtakes or real scraps at all this race.

Gold - Kimi Raikkonen
He is entitled to moan about not being paid, but how about negotiating a reasonable contract in the first place? He's not worth 6x the salary of Grosjean even considering the marketing value that he brings to Lotus. As for the circuit action, Lotus were stupid to not learn from their errors with the flexing floor earlier in the year and the crash was clumsy. Maybe it wasn't worth him turning up after all.

Edit: Just remembered that Button had a damaged car from the start of the race, so his performance is not quite so rejectful. Toro Rosso should be bronze instead.
Last edited by watka on 03 Nov 2013, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Really, there's only one option: it has to be Kimi Raikkonen.

Honourable mention to anyone who thought Alonso should've been penalised.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Me, for falling asleep from lap 25-39, and then not really fully paying attention for the rest of the race. Gonna watch the highlights tomorrow to watch some of the incidents I missed, like Alonso's off-road excursion.

Oh, and why wasn't I paying much attention after waking up? Because I was watching on Sky Go, and my internet kept buffering... It got so bad, that it jumped from Vettel walking out onto the podium immediately to the end of the Austrian anthem...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Me: For not even bothering to watch the race when it aired when I saw GP3 and GP2.

Kimi Raikkonen: ROTR has been given to the race's only retirement before...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.