The RobotWars/BattleBots Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Samster

Re: The RobotWars/BattleBots Thread

Post by Samster »

Pieman wrote:Ah, all sorts of memories from my youth here! Like most people who followed the show I was a Cassius fan, was gutted when it was beaten by Panic Attack in series two's final (I've wondered about that one since - as Panic Attack was competing for charity was there an incentive to let it get as far through the series as possible?)

I actually used to enjoy the Gauntlet and other challenges, mainly because they showed off the driver's skills and intelligence rather than just smashing seven bells out of each other wrestling-style. Still, wanton destruction is what the masses probably wanted.

They did have the other challenges as separate competitions during the third wars at least. Which I feel was a little for the best as I remember quite a few decent robots getting knocked out of these just because they got stuck or broke down. Plus we never got to see Psychosprout in battle. :cry:
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Samster wrote:
Pieman wrote:Ah, all sorts of memories from my youth here! Like most people who followed the show I was a Cassius fan, was gutted when it was beaten by Panic Attack in series two's final (I've wondered about that one since - as Panic Attack was competing for charity was there an incentive to let it get as far through the series as possible?)

I actually used to enjoy the Gauntlet and other challenges, mainly because they showed off the driver's skills and intelligence rather than just smashing seven bells out of each other wrestling-style. Still, wanton destruction is what the masses probably wanted.

They did have the other challenges as separate competitions during the third wars at least. Which I feel was a little for the best as I remember quite a few decent robots getting knocked out of these just because they got stuck or broke down. Plus we never got to see Psychosprout in battle. :cry:

In the U.S. there was Robotica, as well. The team behind Ultra-Violence campaigned in Robot Wars as Manta and in an earlier season of Robotica as Kritical Mass, which I always thought was a really nice machine to look at...

I distinctly remember a Robotica competitor who named their machine PSSSHT, making it the only robot whose name is a sound effect.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Cynon wrote:In the U.S. there was Robotica, as well. The team behind Ultra-Violence campaigned in Robot Wars as Manta and in an earlier season of Robotica as Kritical Mass, which I always thought was a really nice machine to look at...

I distinctly remember a Robotica competitor who named their machine PSSSHT, making it the only robot whose name is a sound effect.

Yeah, I remember Robotica being shown over here occasionally when I was younger. Decent show to be fair.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Cynon wrote:In the U.S. there was Robotica, as well. The team behind Ultra-Violence campaigned in Robot Wars as Manta and in an earlier season of Robotica as Kritical Mass, which I always thought was a really nice machine to look at...

Yeah, I remember Robotica being shown over here occasionally when I was younger. Decent show to be fair.

Pretty much. The Robotica contenders were by and large the same ones in the U.S. series of Robot Wars, very few of which made much of an impact in Battlebots...

...with some exceptions. The base of Battlebots badass Dr. Inferno, Jr. competed as Mini Inferno, and was at a huge disadvantage due to being 1/4 the size of the competition. Killer B was also a reasonable contender in Battlebots but is largely known for this fight.

Team Whyachi also competed, as did Todd Mendenhall's ridiculous Panzer/Wrath (which won both U.S. Robot Wars and was a reasonable Battlebots contender).

Some Robot Wars contenders that tried their hand at Battlebots include...

Panic Attack, Suicidal Tendencies, and Killerhurtz -- no slouches there. This episode seemed to have a special "US vs. UK" theme. Mortis also competed in Season 2, but was KO'd pretty early by Nightmare (though not very spectacularly, oddly enough).

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Thanks for posting the BattleBots Season 2 episode, going to watch them all now!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Cynon wrote:Panic Attack, Suicidal Tendencies, and Killerhurtz -- no slouches there. This episode seemed to have a special "US vs. UK" theme. Mortis also competed in Season 2, but was KO'd pretty early by Nightmare (though not very spectacularly, oddly enough).

Speaking of Killerhurtz, i'll leave this here.

I'd have set the URL to start just before the Killerhurtz fight, but one of the robots in the fight beforehand is the definition of rejectful.

If you can't be arsed to watch it, it was All Torque vs Crippler. After looking at the two of them, you'd bet your house on All Torque winning.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Cynon wrote:Panic Attack, Suicidal Tendencies, and Killerhurtz -- no slouches there. This episode seemed to have a special "US vs. UK" theme. Mortis also competed in Season 2, but was KO'd pretty early by Nightmare (though not very spectacularly, oddly enough).

I'd have set the URL to start just before the Killerhurtz fight, but one of the robots in the fight beforehand is the definition of rejectful.

If you can't be arsed to watch it, it was All Torque vs Crippler. After looking at the two of them, you could bet your house on All Torque winning.

It's too tall, too slow and it's weapon isn't powerful enough, but aside from that Cripper is alright!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

On the subject of All Torque, I'd like to show what robot the team entered in Extreme/Series 5. Meet Hippobotamus everyone...

WTF were they thinking?! Seriously, there is the amateur rejectful charm of robots like Psychosprout, and then there's unfunny shite like this, especially considering that All Torque was a great robot. :roll:

Oh, and after the robot was (unsurprisingly) smashed up by Stinger in Series 5, they had a girl on the team who cried during and after the fight. :roll:

Stinger on the other hand, was bloody awesome.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I have a genuine contender for worst team of all time, apparently called Team Death. Every single robot these guys built was shite. These make Napalm look like one of the all time greats. Don't believe me? Take a look.

Piece De Resistance

That scoop is the flimsiest looking thing ever, worst thing is, just like Psychosprout, they made it past the gauntlet stage.

Death Warmed Up

Immortalis

Metalis
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

FullMetalJack wrote:I have a genuine contender for worst team of all time, apparently called Team Death. Every single robot these guys built was shite. These make Napalm look like one of the all time greats. Don't believe me? Take a look.

Piece De Resistance

That scoop is the flimsiest looking thing ever, worst thing is, just like Psychosprout, they made it past the gauntlet stage.

Death Warmed Up

Immortalis

Metalis

Boudicca could probably beat them and that robot was limited by the horse heads on the side to keep the element of a ramp bot as limited.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Pieman wrote:I actually used to enjoy the Gauntlet and other challenges, mainly because they showed off the driver's skills and intelligence rather than just smashing seven bells out of each other wrestling-style. Still, wanton destruction is what the masses probably wanted.

This is quite an unpopular opinion, but I always preferred it when the main series was only robot fights. I think the other games worked better as a side challenge.

And I actually quite enjoyed series 5, but by series 6 you could tell the show was going downhill. 3 and 4 were still easily the best though.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

I have recently started watching all the episodes on Youtube.
It is funny to see everyone amazed by Cassius's Self Righting Mechanism (SRMECH) when even by series 3 it started to become the norm!

I am halfway through season 3 and nostalgia glasses aside, did the show really have to be an hour long? I am skipping large chunks of it on Youtube just to get to the battles.
Message me on Discord.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

FullMetalJack wrote:

Yeah that was rejectful driving in my book. I think this dreadful piece of driving by Major Tom in Series 5 takes the cake though
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Anyone remember Ziggo? One of the most feared bots in the lightweight due to its construction; its body was a massive spinner with two hammers (can't come up with a better name for them), spinning at a ridiculous speed.
Here's it taking out some of the more rejectful bots such as:
Scrap Daddy LW55, a device that looks to be made of tin foil
Shrike, a lightweight hammer bot which, well, doesn't stand a chance
Missing Link, who loses both wheels during the bout; ironically this bot designed by the same guy as Dr. Inferno, which was one of the more successful lightweight bots. Go figure.

I also liked some of the more rejectful attempts at making something advanced like:
Death Star, which had a nice concept using four saw blades as "active armor" but as you see, in practice it turned out horribly wrong, especially with the Spinner it's fighting
Mechadon, which was a piece of moving artwork more than anything. Beautiful, but ineffective
The Wacky Compass, which was a walker with no discernible weapon, or armor for that matter. How it managed to KO a bot prior to this fight is beyond me
Ginsu, who used saw blades as wheels and had a smaller saw blade as its weapon. Looked cool, but terribly ineffective (especially since saw blades like GInsu's don't do much with superheavyweight bots AND caused the bot to be very hard to control), and was flimsy as hell. Oh yeah, and here it lost to Ronin, a bot known for mechanical failure.

Also,if you guys are interested in the competitors, I have two good sites:
Builder's Database
Robot Combat's event archive; Robot Combat being the team behind Nightmare and Backlash
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Dan B wrote:Anyone remember Ziggo? One of the most feared bots in the lightweight due to its construction; its body was a massive spinner with two hammers (can't come up with a better name for them), spinning at a ridiculous speed.

Ziggo was a badass, and it was always one of my favorites. It was only 55 lbs (to put it in perspective, the Robot Wars weight limit was 210/220 lbs depending on the series), and considering how lightly armored a lot of the Robot Wars competitors were, it might have torn a lot of people up.

Wacky Compass actually did have a weapon, but it broke before the fight with Wedge of Doom.

More Mechadon and all of it's glory. The same guy who built that built The Master (which was seen in a lot of the Robot Wars promotional material) and Snake. Snake actually won a fight!

Dan B wrote:Also,if you guys are interested in the competitors, I have two good sites:
Builder's Database
Robot Combat's event archive; Robot Combat being the team behind Nightmare and Backlash

Jim Smentowski's (Nightmare guy) event photos are pretty good -- you can see a lot of the machines that never made it to the TV matches, such as Scallywag (from the Panic Attack team, never went on Robot Wars), Kritical Mass II, Panzer Mk. as Wrath, Juggerbot, etc....

House robots getting wrecked.

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Cynon wrote:
Dan B wrote:Anyone remember Ziggo? One of the most feared bots in the lightweight due to its construction; its body was a massive spinner with two hammers (can't come up with a better name for them), spinning at a ridiculous speed.

Ziggo was a badass, and it was always one of my favorites. It was only 55 lbs (to put it in perspective, the Robot Wars weight limit was 210/220 lbs depending on the series), and considering how lightly armored a lot of the Robot Wars competitors were, it might have torn a lot of people up.

Wacky Compass actually did have a weapon, but it broke before the fight with Wedge of Doom.

More Mechadon and all of it's glory. The same guy who built that built The Master (which was seen in a lot of the Robot Wars promotional material) and Snake. Snake actually won a fight!

Dan B wrote:Also,if you guys are interested in the competitors, I have two good sites:
Builder's Database

Jim Smentowski's (Nightmare guy) event photos are pretty good -- you can see a lot of the machines that never made it to the TV matches, such as Scallywag (from the Panic Attack team, never went on Robot Wars), Kritical Mass II, Panzer Mk. as Wrath, Juggerbot, etc....

House robots getting wrecked.

Wow, I thought Mr Psycho had never been flipped, well done Firestorm!

What do people make of Warhead, Team Razer's entrant to Battlebots? It was certainly destructive, but I still think Razer would have had the better of it in battle, even considering how nimble Warhead is.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Warhead was made because Razer was not destructive enough to be competitive in Battlebots. I loved Warhead for many, many reasons, but the brilliance of Warhead was stopped by the equally brilliant Overkill. One does not out-drive Overkill.

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Sat down this afternoon and I'm working my way through Series 4...damn, I forgot how good this all was.

Destruct-a-Bubble was ever so slightly hilarious.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I might work my way through the entire series 1-7.

Just watched the first ever heat, it's amazing how far the robots came as the series progressed.
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

I'm midway through Series 3 so far, reliving all my memories from my schooldays of this amazing programme.
Forza Forti
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

East Londoner wrote:On the subject of All Torque, I'd like to show what robot the team entered in Extreme/Series 5. Meet Hippobotamus everyone...

WTF were they thinking?! Seriously, there is the amateur rejectful charm of robots like Psychosprout, and then there's unfunny shite like this, especially considering that All Torque was a great robot. :roll:

Oh, and after the robot was (unsurprisingly) smashed up by Stinger in Series 5, they had a girl on the team who cried during and after the fight. :roll:

Stinger on the other hand, was bloody awesome.

Battlebots had a similar combatant in the lightweight category. Meet Stewbot:

Needless to say, it was driven into one of the arena hammers by the other competitor and smashed into bits. Granted it wasn't supposed to be a serious entry, but still.
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

Just found another excellently rejectful effort from the UK series - Twn Trwn. Nobody could spell or pronounce its name, it had no weapons and was basically an incredibly detailed fibreglass sculpture on wheels, which barely moved anywhere in its only fight as you can see here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1nKkBvv68g
Forza Forti
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Pieman wrote:Just found another excellently rejectful effort from the UK series - Twn Trwn. Nobody could spell or pronounce its name, it had no weapons and was basically an incredibly detailed fibreglass sculpture on wheels, which barely moved anywhere in its only fight as you can see here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1nKkBvv68g

Yes, I remember that bot, and its successor The Creature, being entered really just as art bots.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

watka wrote:
Pieman wrote:Just found another excellently rejectful effort from the UK series - Twn Trwn. Nobody could spell or pronounce its name, it had no weapons and was basically an incredibly detailed fibreglass sculpture on wheels, which barely moved anywhere in its only fight as you can see here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1nKkBvv68g

Yes, I remember that bot, and its successor The Creature, being entered really just as art bots.

If you ask me I think the front of The Creature looked incredibly similar to Matilda
Samster

Post by Samster »

Just seen on the Robot Wars wiki that Alan Gribble of Team Cold Fusion, the group behind Bodyhammer and Pussycat passed away only last Friday from cancer. He was the father of the late David Gribble whom had died in a motorcycle accident just after the Fifth Wars had been filmed. RIP. :(

http://robotwars.wikia.com/wiki/Team_Cold_Fusion
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

God I used to love RobotWars. They used to show it over here in the mornings on TechTV when I was in high school. We all wanted the challenge belt, and if you won 3 times you keep it! We got to have that! (although it was silly when teams would have 2 and belts all the time) My friends and I actually sent away for the rule book (which was quite liberal) and started to build one with fabrication help from my old man. Problem was we made it gas-powered and 4WD and that coupled with 1/2 diamond plate armor meant we never would have been able to get it under the 100kg weight limit. (Come to think of it, that's the reason I learned how much a kilo was lol.) That coupled with the show's cancellation, coupled with us getting our licenses killed off the plan.

We did get fairly far though. We built the chassis and mounted the axles and a sub-frame to hold the engine. We even armored part of it. We had the engine picked out too, a Briggs and Stratton 5bhp lawnmower motor, though we never mounted it. It was going to have two small buzzsaws as well. It didn't cost us anything as the old man savaged most of the parts from his auto shops. I wonder if he ever threw it away or if its still in my parents basement?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

I have recently become something of a super fan to Robotwars. So much so that as an example of evolution in the series I have decided to redo series 1, each team has the same heat they had in reality, but the difference is the teams present all enter their most recent robot to the main contest (series 1-7 not including extreme 1-2).

For example, season 1 champions Road Block entered a similar robot called Beast of Bodmin, that will compete here. Perhaps more dramatically, Chaos 2 will enter as "Robot the Bruce" was from the same team.

Here is the lineup to Heat A.

Beast of Bodmin, the evolution of series 1 champs Roadblock, made the series 3 semi finals.
Grunt, A stock Robot that was made to promote the series and entered as reserve, fast on the trials but retired deliberately.
Diotoir, the famous Irish team that on it's last appearance in Series 5 defeated Tornado! Was Nemesis in series 1.
Sonic, a super fast series 3 robot that lost it's second fight against eventual champions Chaos 2. Was Barry in series 1, the heaviest non-walker in the shows history!
Killertron, a robot that remained mostly unchanged across series 1-2 and 4. Armor was made of plastic but the weapon looked good.
Shogun, a rather bog standard series 1 only robot, in reality was smashed by Killertron in the heat semi final.

If the heat was run with those robots, who would win? (A gauntlet where the weakest gets eliminated, a trial Sumo battle against Shunt with another elimination and finally 1 on one battles to decide winner amongst final 4.)
Message me on Discord.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Shadaza wrote:Image
Grunt, A stock Robot that was made to promote the series and entered as reserve, fast on the trials but retired deliberately.

That'd explain why it was so shite in the Sumo trial. I didn't realise it was on purpose.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I'd have to say Diotoir as it always had good pushing power and its got a flipper, with none of the other robots having SRiMechs!

Has anyone ever played Robot Arena 2 btw? It's like the Robot Wars video games but much, much better in terms of the robot construction part of the game. I've got it and had added loads of mods and downloads to it so I had a lot of the Robot Wars robots but unfortunately my computer went bust and I lost all of the add-ons and the guy who made them have removed the download link :(

Anyway, he's what it looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-E8pcDwC70
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

watka wrote:Has anyone ever played Robot Arena 2 btw? It's like the Robot Wars video games but much, much better in terms of the robot construction part of the game. I've got it and had added loads of mods and downloads to it so I had a lot of the Robot Wars robots but unfortunately my computer went bust and I lost all of the add-ons and the guy who made them have removed the download link :(

I think you can still get legal copies of the game, but seeing as it was made a decade ago, I would not at all be surprised if it was out of print.

Resetti's Replicas still makes replicas of the real machines.

When I play Robot Arena 2, I use the DSL mod and my favorite machine I've made is a full-body spinner with such ridiculous amounts of power that it;

• Sometimes has a strobe effect. It doesn't look like it's spinning at all but it is, or it looks like it's spinning far slower than it actually is.
  • Once it hits something -- anything -- one wheel will lift off the ground, making steering it nearly impossible. At least it doesn't Mauler Dance...
  • If on the odd chance I get 4 wheels on the ground and charge straight at the enemy, can deal nearly 4k damage in one hit. Granted, usually it hits people twice...
  • Again, it's VERY HARD TO DRIVE because it can stay balanced with one wheel off the ground (any wheel).
  • If it gets off the ground, doesn't like coming back to earth.
  • Owned Typhoon
  • Owned Firestorm
  • Murdered Ronin
  • Dared to Fight Sir Killalot

The name "Julia" comes from me deciding to take the name of the robot literally -- as in, naming it like I would name a child. 210 and 211 are version numbers. The original Julia did Maulerdances everywhere so I redid it as Julia 2, and I've stayed with that since. Only thing I don't like about it is the height.

I have beaten almost all of the replicas with it, as well as a fair number of the other DSL machines (Pon2n is a cheating dick), but very seldom does it have a close match -- either it kills the other robot very brutally or it dies very brutally.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Anyone remember S3 from Series 5 and 6? One of my least favourite robots, mostly on the basis that their machine absolutely trashed Plunderbird 5 in their Series 5 heat, so badly that the team never returned afterwards. Bastards. :x :evil: :( :cry:

Good thing Razer gave them their long overdue payback in the Series 5 semi final (one of the very few times where I actually wanted Razer to win). :twisted:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Cynon wrote:
watka wrote:Has anyone ever played Robot Arena 2 btw? It's like the Robot Wars video games but much, much better in terms of the robot construction part of the game. I've got it and had added loads of mods and downloads to it so I had a lot of the Robot Wars robots but unfortunately my computer went bust and I lost all of the add-ons and the guy who made them have removed the download link :(

I think you can still get legal copies of the game, but seeing as it was made a decade ago, I would not at all be surprised if it was out of print.

When I play Robot Arena 2, I use the DSL mod and my favorite machine I've made is a full-body spinner with such ridiculous amounts of power that it;

• Sometimes has a strobe effect. It doesn't look like it's spinning at all but it is, or it looks like it's spinning far slower than it actually is.
  • Once it hits something -- anything -- one wheel will lift off the ground, making steering it nearly impossible. At least it doesn't Mauler Dance...
  • If on the odd chance I get 4 wheels on the ground and charge straight at the enemy, can deal nearly 4k damage in one hit. Granted, usually it hits people twice...
  • Again, it's VERY HARD TO DRIVE because it can stay balanced with one wheel off the ground (any wheel).
  • Owned Typhoon
  • Owned Firestorm
  • Murdered Ronin

The name "Julia" comes from me deciding to take the name of the robot literally -- as in, naming it like I would name a child. 210 and 211 are version numbers. The original Julia did Maulerdances everywhere so I redid it as Julia 2, and I've stayed with that since. Only thing I don't like about it is the height.

I have beaten almost all of the replicas with it, as well as a fair number of the other DSL machines (Pon2n is a cheating dick), but very seldom does it have a close match -- either it kills the other robot very brutally or it dies very brutally.

Nice bot!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Was Killertron a distant relation of Killahertz perchance? Similar name, similar concept; fairly co-incidental if they weren't...
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I had to go and watch the Spaced episode where Tim and Mike have entered Robot Wars. There's quite a few cameos from the real deals in the "Robot Club" scene towards the end. It's a great episode.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Samster

Post by Samster »

Shadaza wrote:I have recently become something of a super fan to Robotwars. So much so that as an example of evolution in the series I have decided to redo series 1, each team has the same heat they had in reality, but the difference is the teams present all enter their most recent robot to the main contest (series 1-7 not including extreme 1-2).

For example, season 1 champions Road Block entered a similar robot called Beast of Bodmin, that will compete here. Perhaps more dramatically, Chaos 2 will enter as "Robot the Bruce" was from the same team.

Here is the lineup to Heat A.

Beast of Bodmin, the evolution of series 1 champs Roadblock, made the series 3 semi finals.
Diotoir, the famous Irish team that on it's last appearance in Series 5 defeated Tornado! Was Nemesis in series 1.
Sonic, a super fast series 3 robot that lost it's second fight against eventual champions Chaos 2. Was Barry in series 1, the heaviest non-walker in the shows history!
Killertron, a robot that remained mostly unchanged across series 1-2 and 4. Armor was made of plastic but the weapon looked good.
Shogun, a rather bog standard series 1 only robot, in reality was smashed by Killertron in the heat semi final.

If the heat was run with those robots, who would win? (A gauntlet where the weakest gets eliminated, a trial Sumo battle against Shunt with another elimination and finally 1 on one battles to decide winner amongst final 4.)

Out of those I'd think Beast of Bodmin would go through. Shame that team never returned after the 3rd wars. :(
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Was Killertron a distant relation of Killahertz perchance? Similar name, similar concept; fairly co-incidental if they weren't...

No connection at all. Killerhurtz was far better built! Terrorhurtz was pretty similar though, basically a Killertron done properly.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Cynon wrote:

• Owned Typhoon
  • Owned Firestorm
  • Murdered Ronin

That robot looks a bit familiar... :mrgreen:
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Dan B wrote:
Cynon wrote:

• Owned Typhoon
  • Owned Firestorm
  • Murdered Ronin

That robot looks a bit familiar... :mrgreen:

I based it more off of Mauler than Stephen and Lawrence's Attack Machine, and I made it yellow and red because why not. SLAM never did anything of note (except be LOUD), but kudos to the guys behind SLAM, because they came back with the much more competent (and simple) Electric Lunch... aka proof that a good driver can (almost) beat a superior machine.

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

watka wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:Was Killertron a distant relation of Killahertz perchance? Similar name, similar concept; fairly co-incidental if they weren't...

No connection at all. Killerhurtz was far better built! Terrorhurtz was pretty similar though, basically a Killertron done properly.

Killertron was basically a Wheely Bin on wheels and by series 4 was vastly outdated (Knocked out in round 2 of that wars) Terrorhurtz were unlucky to come up against Fluffy in Series 5 but were deadly in series 6 (Remember what they did to Panic Attack in the heat final?)
Samster

Post by Samster »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
watka wrote:

Killertron was basically a Wheely Bin on wheels and by series 4 was vastly outdated (Knocked out in round 2 of that wars) Terrorhurtz were unlucky to come up against Fluffy in Series 5 but were deadly in series 6 (Remember what they did to Panic Attack in the heat final?)

Interestingly, Terrorhurtz went on to be the second ever 2-time UK champion after Robot Wars had finished as a TV series in 2004 and 2009. Of course, only a small percentage of the big names from Robot Wars were still there.