RIP Maria de Villota

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
f1-gast

RIP Maria de Villota

Post by f1-gast »

Well i was reading the Wiki page and it said she died today...

María de Villota Comba (13 January 1980 - 11 October 2013) was a Spanish racing driver. She is the daughter of former Formula One driver Emilio de Villota, and sister of Emilio de Villota, Jr., who like his sister competed in Formula Palmer Audi.

Can't find any more info ??

Former Formula One test driver Maria de Villota has been found dead at the age of just 33 according to reports in Spain.

Radio Cadena Ser Radio report that de Villota died in a Sevilla hotel room despite attempts from emergency services to resuscitate her.
There are no further details at this time, but Radio Cadena do state that emergency services have confirmed the news to them. Eurosport Spain also reports that the family has confirmed the news.
De Villota came to international prominence in July 2012 when she lost an eye after being involved in a F1 test crash for the Marussia team.
She was the first female driver to test for a contemporary Formula 1 team since Katherine Legge in 2005.
The Spaniard also raced in several series including Spanish F3, the Daytona 24 Hours, and Superleague Formula Championship.

http://asia.eurosport.com/formula-1/for ... tory.shtml
Last edited by f1-gast on 11 Oct 2013, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
solarcold

Re: RIP Maria de Villota

Post by solarcold »

She has died today morning in Sevilla, Spain... No more info for now.. rest in peace, brave racer and wonderful woman.
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

RIP :cry:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

Received an update by eurosport that she was found dead in a hotel
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Horrible horrible news. It's literally just broken on Twitter in the last 10 minutes through the likes of Will Buxton and ESPN, and most of the F1 paddock are now being informed. She was apparently discovered dead in her hotel room, according to latest reports.

RIP Maria (1980-2013). :cry:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

RIP :(
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Awful news. I find it hard to believe its not related to her accident, perhaps she couldnt cope and had been unhappy for a while. Either way its put me off F1 for a while.
Just For One Day...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Shocking.
-*:-
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Absolutely dreadful news to hear. R.I.P :cry:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

I think it is an natural dead.
If im correct , monday she would present her biography , why would you do suicide or an overdose if you will present this ?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

This is terrible. She seemed like recovering well from her accident, and suddenly this happens. I can only assume it was caused by some sort of a delayed complication caused by the accident. :cry:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I tell you what, I would be very disappointed in Marussia, if they don't recognise this in some way on Sunday.
They really should do as Ferrari did after 9/11.

As a tribute to Maria, they should have no sponsor logos and a black nose on the MR02, like Ferrari did with the F2001.

kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Terrible, terrible news. My deepest condolences to her family and friends.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Eifelland

Post by Eifelland »

Jocke1 wrote:I tell you what, I would be very disappointed in Marussia, if they don't recognise this in some way on Sunday.

As a tribute to Maria, they should have no sponsor logos and a black nose on the MR02, like Ferrari did with the F2001.

I'm not sure Marussia can afford to run without any sponsors for a weekend, whatever the cause. I agree though, they should do something.

EDIT; The media here in Spain are reporting she'd only got married 3 months ago, started a new job at the FIA, where she seemed to be held in quite high esteem and was on the verge of releasing her autobiography. They also reporting she was found in bed, which sounds very much like natural (but no less tragic) causes.
Jocke1 is my spirit animal

Forza Minardi. Forza Bianchi. Forza Rejects.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Felt sick when I read the news, which is pretty remarkable seeing as I couldn't even remember what she looked like.

But the thing I remembered most was the way she fought back after losing an eye: that was inspiring.

RIP.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

It breaks my heart to hear this news and to have to change the signature that was inspired by how she came back from her accident. Rest in Peace Maria.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I was certainly not expecting this kind of news when I woke up... RIP Maria, you will be missed. :(
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

RIP.

Maria de Villota. The fallen female hero-in-the-making of Formula 1.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Rest in peace, María. :cry:

It's really sad how one moment can change everything.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Dreadful news. RIP. A brave lady.
Condolences to her family & friends.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Jocke1 wrote:I tell you what, I would be very disappointed in Marussia, if they don't recognise this in some way on Sunday.

I'm not sure if QNET and others would take too kindly to that.

Still, rest in peace, Maria. My deepest condolences to her family.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

It's moments like these where you feel so empty. Maria might have not been WDC material but she is a perfect example of coming back after a severe life threatening injury. Rest in peace Maria :cry:
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

So sad.

RIP.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Good lord, that's horrendous news. RIP, Maria.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

This is awful awful news, RIP Maria, what a terrible story to start my day/weekend with.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/11/breaking-maria-de-villota-found-dead-in-spanish-hotel/

However, does anyone else think the family's "year and a half we had with with her" statement means they knew SOMETHING was wrong, maybe an accident complication no one publicly mentioned? Or am I reading way too much into this?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
johnnyCarwash

Post by johnnyCarwash »

Such unexpected news :cry:
R.I.P
The ChiltonCraze at the British Grand Prix
FIA driver press conference announcer wrote:On pole position for his home grand prix for the first time, Max Chilton
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Shocked to hear this. RIP Maria de Villota :cry: Good bye
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

RIP, I was so shocked when I saw this all over Twitter this morning.

Hopefully Marussia can get a decent result today, their first point would be an amazing tribute.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

RIP Maria! Life was beginning to get back on track after the accident then it is swiftly taken away.

Goodbye
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I found out not long ago while driving into uni. It certainly was shocking and unexpected. RIP Maria. Most photos I have seen of her usually depict her with a smile on her face.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

wsrgo wrote:

I'm not sure if QNET and others would take too kindly to that.

Still, rest in peace, Maria. My deepest condolences to her family.

When John Walton died, Minardi ran their cars at the 2004 British Grand Prix without any sponsorship, just John Boy on the rear wings with love hearts in the place of the "O"s. That led to Wilux withdrawing their sponsorship IIRC.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Also on sidepods:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

RIP Maria.

A stark reminded that racing will never be safe, and that those involved can never become complacent.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

good_Ralf wrote: When John Walton died, Minardi ran their cars at the 2004 British Grand Prix without any sponsorship, just John Boy on the rear wings with love hearts in the place of the "O"s. That led to Wilux withdrawing their sponsorship IIRC.

Wilux deserve to be vilified for their decision to pull their sponsorship. Complete empathy bypass by the higher-ups there. :evil:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

R.I.P Maria :(

Conspiracy theorists are already about - some suggesting suicide, some suggesting it was actually a follow up from her injuries and that she only had limited time anyway :| Eitherway, a tragic set of circumstances and an end to an influential life :(

On a side note, am I the only one who found Sky's coverage of handling the news disgusting? In particular with Simon Lazenby being as crude as ever..... Unless I've read the situation wrong, he informed Suzie Wolff of the news halfway through the interview, live and she knew nothing about it before hand!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

JJMonty wrote:On a side note, am I the only one who found Sky's coverage of handling the news disgusting? In particular with Simon Lazenby being as crude as ever..... Unless I've read the situation wrong, he informed Suzie Wolff of the news halfway through the interview, live and she knew nothing about it before hand!

I hope this is not the case (I haven't seen said interview). And even if Susie knew, why drop it in half-way through an interview? Something like that ought to be the opener to an interview, surely?

Anyway, the BBC have people paying tribute to Maria.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

East Londoner wrote:Wilux deserve to be vilified for their decision to pull their sponsorship. Complete empathy bypass by the higher-ups there

Exactly, they should see the good-will instead. It's a sign of respect, after all.
Even if Marussia would race sponsor-less on Sunday, people will still know who the sponsors are. Because media will write about it afterwards, what a nice gesture they did. It's called good-will.

JJMonty wrote: In particular with Simon Lazenby being as crude as ever

Granted I have still to see this particular segment, but from my previous experiences watching Lazenby, I decided long ago that I think he is pompous, arrogant and totally full of himself. He must love mirrors.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

RIP :cry:
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

RIP Maria De Villota. Was it not already enough that last year, you had lost an eye, ending the pursuit of your dreams of being a Formula 1 driver, that it is the way of the universe to see your life ended prematurely as well? Your recovery seemed to be going so well, and I must say you made the eyepatch look quite fashionable. Today, we have lost a great ambassador for women in motorsport, and her family certainly has my condolences. :cry:
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

It's not what I was expecting to read today... what a sad news. :(
R.I.P. Maria.
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine