Best Feel Good Moments

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
madmark1974

Your favourite "Punch the air" moments in F1

Post by madmark1974 »

I was just wondering what some of your favourite "YES!" moments in F1 were?

I'll contribute a few (mostly related to Ferrari FAIL) ... There are loads more but this'll do for now :

Schumacher emerges from the Monaco tunnel minus a wheel thanks to the combination of Safety Car weaving/brake checking and J.P. Montoya
Sato in a Super Aguri overtakes Alonso in a McLaren
Raikkonen finally loses it on the 2nd to last lap vs Hamilton at Spa 2008
Kobayashi overtakes Alonso at Valencia (or generally anything to do with Kobayashi doing well)
Schumacher puts himself out trying to wipe out Villeneuve at Jerez 1997, and subsequently Hakkinen's first win
Barichello' pass on Schumacher at Hungary 2010 (after realising that he wasn't going to die ...)
Raikkonen's last lap pass on Fisi at Suzuka 2005 (I think)
Haikkinen's pass on Schumacher (and Zonta) at Spa
Barichello's pole positions for Jordan and Stewart
and ... most controversially ... Hamilton's last-corner pass on Glock at Brazil 2008 (sorry, but I'm a McLaren man) ...

What say you?

EDIT : Added a couple more ...
Last edited by madmark1974 on 25 Feb 2011, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
TomWazzleshaw

Re: Your favourite "Punch the air" moments in F1

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Mark Webber's first victory
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Fisichella's 3rd place for Benetton @ Spa 2001
Trulli's only win for Renault @ Monaco 2004
@ Hungarian GP 2006 when I saw it's raining
Heidfeld's pass on Alonso @ Bahrein 2007 - although this is one crucial (yep, a quote!) point that made Alonso lose the championship
Hamilton & Kimi (+ Rosberg) retiring @ Montreal 2008

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Any time rain starts during the race
Any time during Schumi's dominance he broke down or crashed
Any unexpected wins (Panis, Trulli, Herbert in '99, Hill '98)
The time I won competitions to go to the British and Italian GPs in '98.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Button's victory in Hungary 2006 (even if I were only listening to it on the radio at the time).

Damon Hill winning the Grand Prix and championship in Japan 1996.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

• Alonso losing his championship last year.
  • Schumacher ramming the back of Coulthard at 1998 Belgian GP.
  • Villeneuve winning the championship in 97.
  • Montoya overtaking Schumacher in Brazil 91.
  • Basically every Kobayashi overtaking move :D.
  • Finding Markus Winkelhock in the lead of the European GP and being massively faster than everyone else (followed by the NOOOOOOO moment when the safety car enters the track).
  • Lamy finishing on the points in that crazy Adelaide 1995.
  • Schumacher winning his first championship for Ferrari (My father likes Ferrari so I got really happy only to find out that they would dominate boringly the next 4 years, with the honorable exception of 2003 in terms of boringness...).
  • Finding out that Senna signed for Williams (I was a kid, the best driver in what was for me the best car, also I didn't what would happen next as everyone else) in 94.
  • Finding out that Prost signed for Williams to do one final year in 93 :D.
  • Finding out that Mansell would return to Williams in 92 :P.
  • Finding out that Mansell would return to F1 in 95 (happy days those) (it turned out to be a crap decision for him).
  • Kimi winning his first championship.
  • Alonso ending Ferrari dominance in 2005.
  • In the seasons from 2002 to 2004, every retirement Schumacher had (they weren't many).

• In 2011, when Williams broke the race victories drought :twisted: (we will see about that)

(Also, I get happy when Hamilton doesn't win a couple of races in a row. This is only due to the fact that I believe Hamilton is good enough to impose us a Schumacher-like domination and I am not ready for that yet.)
Last edited by DanielPT on 25 Feb 2011, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

DanielPT wrote:
  • In 2011, when Williams broke the race victories drought :twisted: (we will see about that)

Oi! Don't jinx it! :lol:
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
jpm

Post by jpm »

Any passing move by Juan Pablo Montoya; especially the Nurbrurgring 2002 (or maybe 03 as I can't remeber!) when he pushed Schuey off.
When Luca Badoer returned in 2009.
Brawn GP winning at Australia 2009
When Lewis Hamilton got stuck in the gravel China 2007
When Adrian Sutil was running 4th at Monaco 2008....(we all know what happened there :x )
Sato passing Alonso at the 2007 Canadian GP.
Markus Winkelhock full stop!
Hulkenberg's pole position last year at Brazil.
The 2002 Australian GP when Salo spun the Toyota leaving Webber to finish 5th for Minardi
When Fisichella was announced the winner of the 2003 Brazil GP
When Lewis Hamiltoin crashed into Raikkonen at the 2008 Canadian GP
When Massa won the 2008 title (albiet for a few seconds, as I left the room in disgust when Glock lost 5th place.)
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

- Hamilton passing Glock at Interlagos in '08 - unlike James Allen & Martin Brundle I actually saw it!
- Fisi's pole for Force India at Spa
- Vettel's pole and win at Monza
- Damon Hill leading for Arrows at Budapest in '97
- Senna passing 5 cars in one lap - Donington '93
- Jordan's 1-2 - Spa '98
- Piquet / Moreno 1-2 foe Benetton - Suzuka 1990
- Moreno qualifying the Andrea Moda for Monaco '92
- Takuma Sato passing McLaren's in a Super Aguri - Montreal '07 (I think)
- Schumacher's engine blow up - Suzuka, can't remember which year, but it ruled him out of the championship
- Schumacher hitting the wall at Adelaide '94, moments before he shafted Damon Hill
- Senna holding off Mansell - Monaco '92
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Definitely Hamilton passing Glock Brazil 08 - I was shouting four letter words all through the last lap when I realised he wasn't going to pass Vettel (and knew Massa had fluked one extra point he shouldn't have got with Bourdais' ridiculous penatly at Fuji), and was about to storm out of the room in disgust when I realised there was a red-and-white car going to slow when I was smiles!!

Any non-Schumacher win in 2001, 2002 and 2004 could be added to that. ;-)

Petrov holding off Alonso at Abu Dhabi.

Herbert winning two races at Benetton when they only cared about Schumacher!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
McJaggers

Post by McJaggers »

Most i enjoyed have been mentioned.

Schumachers valiant drive in Brazil 2006 (his last race, for ferrari, for now), after the puncture and so on. Every overtaking move by him in that race was worthy of a punch in the air.
jpm

Post by jpm »

Why was everyone so happy to see Hamilton win the 08 title? Massa was a far more deserving champion; he was only robbed by engine failure with 2 laps to go at Hungary and Ferrari's notoriously unreliable traffic light system in Singapore. Hamilton on the other hand had a faster car yet didn't utilise it well; he made lots of mistakes that year (Canada, France, Bahrain etc) and was really rather flukely to rob Massa of a well earned title.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

jpm wrote:Why was everyone so happy to see Hamilton win the 08 title? Massa was a far more deserving champion; he was only robbed by engine failure with 2 laps to go at Hungary and Ferrari's notoriously unreliable traffic light system in Singapore. Hamilton on the other hand had a faster car yet didn't utilise it well; he made lots of mistakes that year (Canada, France, Bahrain etc) and was really rather flukely to rob Massa of a well earned title.

I'm not going to go on about this too much, but Massa was definitely given some assistance by ridiculous stewarding decisions i.e. penalising Hamilton's pass on Kimi at Spa thereby giving Massa the win,
and the aforementioned penalty for Bourdais. Plus, I think if you add up all of Massa's errors at Silverstone it comes to more than Hamilton's for the entire year ...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Robert Kubica winning in Canada, propelling him to the top of the Driver's championship.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Hmm...

First wins of: Irvine, Barrichello, Raikkonen, Fisichella, Trulli, BMW-Sauber (shame it turned out to be the only one), Webber
First podium: Heidfeld, Sato
Poles: Barrichello (with the Stewart), Fisico (with the Force India), Hülkenberg
Overtaking moves: Hakkinen vs. Schumacher ('00 Spa), Montoya and Coulthard vs. Schumacher ('01 Interlagos), Heidfeld and Webber vs. Alonso ('05 Monaco), Trulli vs. Fisichella ('05 Monaco), Sato vs. Alonso ('07 Montreal), Heidfeld double overtaking moves ('08 Silverstone) - not his Spa-action, because I was a bit slow to realize what exactly he did
I also have to mention Winkelhock.

And the less nice ones: :twisted:
Schumacher or Alonso crashing out (any time)
Hamilton in the gravel trap in China
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

jpm wrote:Why was everyone so happy to see Hamilton win the 08 title? Massa was a far more deserving champion; he was only robbed by engine failure with 2 laps to go at Hungary and Ferrari's notoriously unreliable traffic light system in Singapore. Hamilton on the other hand had a faster car yet didn't utilise it well; he made lots of mistakes that year (Canada, France, Bahrain etc) and was really rather flukely to rob Massa of a well earned title.

I'm British, he's British... and he's a much better driver than Massa. He didn't have the faster car that year either.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Marco

Post by Marco »

The Green Cow No 2 driver winning the start at Silverstone '10.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

For some reason Hamilton crashing out in Spain last year. And Italy the year before that. And Canada the year before that. And China the year before that.

There's a pattern there somewhere, I feel.

On a more positive note, Kubica winning in Canada, Vettel winning in Italy for Toro Rosso, Sato and Kobayashi existing, and most famously in my house, Fisichella winning the 2003 Brazilian GP, when I got projectile vomited immediately after Raikkonen came up as the winner.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
mario

Post by mario »

I would argue, firstly, that it is debatable whether Hamilton did have the faster car - firstly, we saw that the relative performance of the F2008 and MP4-23 was fairly dependent on circuit conditions, so at the very least Hamilton did not have a car advantage across the entire season. Arguably, towards the end of the year, the F2008 was probably the slightly superior car - bear in mind that Mclaren was bound, as part of the Spygate affair, to restrict development in twelve different areas of car performance, including the braking system (which forced Mclaren to revert to a less effective system from 2006 - which is in part why Hamilton tended to lock his brakes more frequently in 2008).
Then there is the fact that Ferrari were throwing huge amounts of money at the F2008 - for example, remember the vent in the nose section for high downforce tracks? That particular development is rumoured to have cost Ferrari more than $15 million in development, excluding the costs of crash testing and writing off at least two different nose sections in crash testing. The total development budget for the F2008 was rumoured to have been nearly $440 million, so some might argue that Massa's talent was certainly helped along by Ferrari's financial might.

And leaving aside the arguments over stewarding decisions, Massa was also error prone that season, and he failed to really take advantage of having a very competitive car. After all, he span a perfectly healthy car out of the Malaysian GP, and admitted it was his mistake, was penalised for spinning Hamilton in the Japanese GP and lucky not to be penalised for hitting Bourdais, and we know about the problems he faced in the British GP. So, whilst he may have put in some very impressive and mature performances, he did put in some very scrappy performances, much like Hamilton did: on driving performance alone, it is contentious at the very least to say that Massa was the more deserving champion (however you wish to define the term deserving).

Back to the topic, though - whilst I'm not normally the sort of person who would punch the air for something, there were some moments in 2010 that I did toast the drivers for. (Personally, I derive little pleasure from watching a driver failing to finish - there might be drivers who I dislike in terms of character, but respect in terms of skill, so seeing them crash out or retire with mechanical problems doesn't give me any joy).
For example, Kobayashi passing Alguersuari in the Japanese GP, mainly because he made it past despite Alguersuari's dirty tactic of steering into Kobayashi's sidepod. In fact, most of the passing moves that Kobayashi pulled off that race would come under that category (with the exception of his first overtake, which was a bit clumsy). Probably the other great moment like that would be the sheer joy that Barrichello expressed when winning his first race - that expression of joy and relief was a profoundly touching moment in a hugely cynical sport - and, on a similar vein, the 5th place that Webber picked up for Minardi in that Australian GP.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
jpm

Post by jpm »

Meh, I just suppose I prefer the underdog; but isn't that what this forum is all about ;)

Eddie Irvine's podium at Monaco 01 for Jaguar I remember being really happy about, as well as when the Michelin runners pulled off before Indy 05 :D :D :D
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet.

HWNSNBM's point at Indy 2004.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

tommykl wrote:I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet.

HWNSNBM's point at Indy 2004.

Or Takuma Sato's podium at the same race! :D
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
JohnMLTX

Post by JohnMLTX »

Any time I saw Alonso or Hamilton in some sort of off-track excursion or wreck this past year.

Also, whenever Webber wins.
ibsey wrote:Things happen in my underwear, every time I hear those Ferrari's.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Or Patrick Friesacher's 6th the next year! What a drive!

Wait...
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Petrov's awesomeness in China and Hungary.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Gosh, most of these are pretty recent, which makes me feel very old. So...

Derek Warwick's drive in the Toleman in the British GP, 1982. Little did we know at the time...
Rosberg and De Angelis side by side at the chequered flag at the Osterreichring, 1982.
Rosberg winning in Dallas. The best drive I think I've ever seen.
Any time they showed Huub Rothengatter on screen. Just because, you know, it was Huub Rothengatter!
Berger and Alboreto finishing 1-2 at Monza, 1988 (forget punching the air, pretty sure I cried!)
Pierlugi Martini leading a lap at Estoril.
Barbazza getting points in the Minardi (of course!!!)
Damon Hill winning the title.
Johnny Herbert winning the European GP in the Stewart.
Markus Winkelhock leading.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

In reverse chronological order:

-Kobayashi's crazy moves, in general (Suzuka, Valencia...)
-De la Rosa taking the correct tyre decision in China and running 4th in the Sauber (then his car went caput).
-Hamilton getting stuck in the gravel.
-Schumacher's engine exploding after leaving the pits.
-De la Rosa finally taking a podium.
-Alonso passing everyone under the rain in the Hungaroring.
-Alonso holding off Schumacher at Imola.
-Alonso winning the 2003 Hungarian GP.
-Learning that De la Rosa would start 5th at Hockenheim.
-Gené scoring a point for Minardi.
-De la Rosa scoring a point in his first race.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Many many over the 25 years ive been watching F1

Berger finally winning in a ferrari in '87 in japan of all places
Senna tripping up on Schlesser at monza '88
Mansell's 2 victories in '89
and quite a lot through the 90's that for the moment i casnt remember and most of the others have been covered....
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

-The Räikkönen vs Hamilton duel at the 2008 Belgian GP.
-Alonso winning his first title in 2005.
-Monteiro's 8th place at the 2005 Belgian GP.
-Hamilton pushing the magic button at the 2007 Brazilian GP.
-Massa's litany of spins at the 2008 British GP.
-Webber winning the 2010 British GP.
-Alonso clawing back his points deficit in 2010.
-Alonso winning the 2008 Singapore GP (of course, before all the Crashgate scandal transpired).
-Briatore being kicked out of F1 for good.
-My F1RWRS team taking a victory :mrgreen:
-Alguersuari harassing Schumacher at the 2010 Australian GP.
-Ralf Schumacher crashing at the 2004 United States GP (or, for that matter, any misfortune related to Ralf Schumacher or Juan Pablo Montoya thrashing him).
-Montoya taking the lead at the 2001 Brazilian GP.
-Verstappen's charges up the field.
-Räikkönen winning the 2004 Belgian GP.
-Bernoldi holding off Coulthard at the 2001 Monaco GP.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Button, clinching the drivers championship.
Fisichella getting Force India's first pole position. (He should have won that race, but I'll take second.)
Mark Webber getting the better of Hamiltion at Singapore 2010.
Webber winning at Monaco.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

any time minardi scoring a point (except for that usa 2005 'race')
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
razta

Post by razta »

Schumi's Brilliant Drive in Hungary 1998
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

When it became clear Button was going to win the 2009 title. I dont support Button but it was funny seeing all the F1 "fans" who only ever talked about Hamilton (like the british press) look really uncomfortable and silly when the other brit was doing well

On saying that though, any time Hamilton got the measure on Alonso in 2007 also counted for me as until then Alonso was seen as somewhat of a saint because he wasnt Schumacher yet he won some titles

In other words - when (media) jingoism is embarrassed
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Another one I should have mentioned - Morbidelli's podium in Australia '95 - but if anything had happened to Hill, he could have won as I don't think Panis's engine would have lasted 2 more laps!!!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Olivier Panis winning the Monaco 1996! :D
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
patrick

Post by patrick »

Kobayashi overtaking Buemi on the last corner of the last lap at Valencia. I don't think many people actually noticed, after the race everyone focused on the fact he'd done Alonso too.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I'm going to get a lot of stick for this first choice

Hamilton driving into the gravel trap and getting stuck in China 2007, and when his car had gearbox problems in Brazil.
WInkelhock leading at the Nurburgring.
Alonso's engine blow-up at Monza 2006 (the only time I have wanted Schumacher to win the title)
Button's first win.
Schumacher and Alonso both crashing in the tunnel at Monaco in 2004.
Pretty much nearly every incident that happened at Interlagos and Silverstone in 2003.
When the 2002 season finally ended.
Montoya's and Coulthard's passes on Schumacher at Interlagos 2001.
Hakkinen's wonder pass on Schumacher at Spa.

These next choices I didn't see first time around (I was too young to care!)
Schumacher's puncture at Suzuka 1998.
1998 Belgian GP
Gerhard Berger's final victory
Damon Hill finally winning the title in 1996.
1995 Italian GP Schumacher-Hill collision part 3
1995 Belgian GP
1995 British GP Schumacher-Hill collision part 2
Jean Alesi finally winning a race
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I vividly remember the '98 race at Spa, listening to it on Radio 5 Live as we were in Wales in the car, and being really happy that Damon had won. He was after all my childhood hero, and after the mostly lacklustre '97, it was great to see him doing well once more.

Also Brazil '08 and '09, Hamilton's last few laps had me screaming at the TV! And Button's drive through the field was just brilliant.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

One more to my list - Discovering that BOTH Minardis were in the points during the 1999 European Grand P rix, followed by the heartbreaking moment when Badoer's gearbox broke.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I think all of these have been mentioned already:

- Any points for Minardi
- Any points for Verstappen
- Any points for a Japanese driver other than Nakajima
- Any wet race, particularly Spa '98, Brazil '03, Hungary '06
- Pedro de la Rosa at the Bahrain '05 race, Kobayashi-esque performance and fastest lap to boot
- Trulli leading the Austrian '97 GP
- Hamilton winning the championship in the last corner in '08
- Any time a British driver wins the British GP
- Raikkonen's epic win in Japan '05
- Webber's first win in Germany '09
- Vettel's first win in Monza '08
- Any pole for Toyota

OK, the last one is a lie!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy