Murray Walker diagnosed with cancer

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Murray Walker diagnosed with cancer

Post by Londoner »

Maurice Hamilton has just tweeted that Murray Walker has been diagnosed with cancer, after blood tests during his recovery from a recent fall. Thankfully, it is treatable. Get well soon Murray. :(
Last edited by Londoner on 17 Jun 2013, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
eagleash

Murray Walker health issues.

Post by eagleash »

If Twitter-world (Maurice Hamilton again), is to be believed, following his recent fall, Murray has now been found to be suffering from a treatable form of cancer. He is to undergo chemotherapy.
I'm sure we would all want wish him a speedy & effective recovery.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
eagleash

Re: Murray Walker

Post by eagleash »

Damn wasn't there when I posted mine. Someone merge. :!:
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Jocke1

Re: Murray Walker diagnosed with cancer

Post by Jocke1 »

Sucks. Pull through, Murray. You legend you.
-*:-
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Please have a speedy recovery Murray, we all wish you well. A man who defines the word legend.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Hope the legend gets well soon. I doubt this will slow him down too much.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

You can pull through, Murray! You can do it!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
mario

Post by mario »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Hope the legend gets well soon. I doubt this will slow him down too much.

According to Maurice, although he is having to go for chemotherapy, it seems that Murray is more worried about the fact that he won't be able to go to either the British GP or the Festival of Speed at Goodwood. At least the passion seems to be burning away as fiercely as ever, and by the sounds of things he doesn't plan to let his treatment slow him down too much either - here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Eifelland

Post by Eifelland »

This is actually really upsetting. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the older half of the forum, and to me, Murray was just as much a part of Formula 1 as any of the drivers and the teams - and he's been there just as long as any of them. Get well soon Murray :(
Jocke1 is my spirit animal

Forza Minardi. Forza Bianchi. Forza Rejects.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

This is the worst piece of F1 news I've heard since May 1st, 1994. And that wasn't exactly "news", as such, because I saw it live.

Still, if anyone can pull through, Murray can. If he ever had to have an operation I'd think of him shouting "GO! GO! GO!" and commentating on the anaesthetic running through his veins... for about ten seconds.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

He's 89. Everybody gets cancer if they live long enough.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Eifelland wrote:This is actually really upsetting. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the older half of the forum, and to me, Murray was just as much a part of Formula 1 as any of the drivers and the teams - and he's been there just as long as any of them. Get well soon Murray :(

I agree. I was only born in 1997 and only started watching F1 in 2002 so i didn't know about him. But listening to him on Classic F1 I now understand why he was the voice of F1. 3 moments stuck out for me. The first was that ear pitching scream when DC smashed into the pit wall in Australia 1995. The second was when he said "I've got a lump in my throat" When Damon Hill won the 1996 title. And the 3rd are tied between his Pizza Hut Advert and when he pretended to commentate on snooker

Compare Murray to Alan Partridge here and there's a massive difference and a reason why Alan Partridge makes Jonathan Legard look decent. The noise of the cars sounds like GP3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZD8FvCJFc
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

shinji wrote:He's 89. Everybody gets cancer if they live long enough.

Yeah. Erm... I like you as a member Shinji... But I've found this incredibly distasteful. Sorry.

In regards to Murray Walker, I hope he's better soon. His passion and determination will help. True legend.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

AdrianSutil wrote:

Yeah. Erm... I like you as a member Shinji... But I've found this incredibly distasteful. Sorry.

In regards to Murray Walker, I hope he's better soon. His passion and determination will help. True legend.

I apologise, posted that without thinking, particularly without considering your personal experience of it. That post came across as much more insensitive than I intended - what I meant was that my brother, a doctor himself, has explained to me that it is pretty much a statistical certainty that you will get cancer, it's just a case of whether you die due to something else beforehand.

Don't get me wrong, my dad and 3 of my grandparents died of cancer, so I hope you'll accept my apology. Didn't mean to offend, merely to place Walker's illness in the context of his age. I obviously also wish him the best with his recovery.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Eifelland

Post by Eifelland »

Kimi-ICE wrote:
Eifelland wrote:This is actually really upsetting. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the older half of the forum, and to me, Murray was just as much a part of Formula 1 as any of the drivers and the teams - and he's been there just as long as any of them. Get well soon Murray :(

I agree. I was only born in 1997 and only started watching F1 in 2002 so i didn't know about him. But listening to him on Classic F1 I now understand why he was the voice of F1. 3 moments stuck out for me. The first was that ear pitching scream when DC smashed into the pit wall in Australia 1995. The second was when he said "I've got a lump in my throat" When Damon Hill won the 1996 title. And the 3rd are tied between his Pizza Hut Advert and when he pretended to commentate on snooker

Compare Murray to Alan Partridge here and there's a massive difference and a reason why Alan Partridge makes Jonathan Legard look decent. The noise of the cars sounds like GP3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZD8FvCJFc

I almost certainly still shout 'and it's go go go' whenever the lights turn green every race.
Jocke1 is my spirit animal

Forza Minardi. Forza Bianchi. Forza Rejects.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Eifelland wrote:I almost certainly still shout 'and it's go go go' whenever the lights turn green every race.

It's been a while since they did that....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Hoping Murray makes a speedy recovery.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

I hope he can get well soon.
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

shinji wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:

I apologise, posted that without thinking, particularly without considering your personal experience of it. That post came across as much more insensitive than I intended - what I meant was that my brother, a doctor himself, has explained to me that it is pretty much a statistical certainty that you will get cancer, it's just a case of whether you die due to something else beforehand.

Don't get me wrong, my dad and 3 of my grandparents died of cancer, so I hope you'll accept my apology. Didn't mean to offend, merely to place Walker's illness in the context of his age. I obviously also wish him the best with his recovery.

Yeah it's cool mate, I accept your apology. I just got a bit irked up in the moment of it all. It's not a nice experience as you and I both know personally.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

Best wishes to Murray Walker. A veritable legend of Formula One.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I might be in America and not have been able to listen to his commentary, but since I started watching older F1 races with his commentary, I now think he is just legend! :D

Goes to show he was good. I think he and James Hunt made a great duo.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Get well soon Murray
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
mario

Post by mario »

shinji wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:

As you say, statistically the chances of developing cancer do sharply increase with age, and Murray, being in his 80's, would be in a particularly vulnerable age category.

Further details are now emerging via the BBC, and they do seem a bit more encouraging - Murray has explained that he has been diagnosed with cancer of the lymphatic system and, on a positive note, the doctors have spotted the signs of his condition at a very early stage, suggesting that his chances of making a full recovery are quite good. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22946026
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

That 89-year-old Murray has a better chance of survival than my dad did at 50, with the same type of cancer (and he never made it to 51), is testament to 20 further years of progress in cancer treatment.

Though I stand by what I said about it being awful news, obviously.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Get well soon. :(

Murray is easily the best F1 commentator ever. My personal favorites are his reactions to Coulthard and Schumacher's crashes in Australia 1995 and Belgium 1998.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

My favourite Murray commentary moment is at the end of the German GP in 87, when Johansson comes home on 3 wheels. "And...look at THIS! This is absolutely UNbeLIEVable!"

I've no idea why that's my favourite when there are so many others to choose from. I also like "I'm stopping the startwatch!" because both he and James Hunt crack up immediately afterwards.

I hope it's not for a good many years yet, but I will be very upset when Murray goes. Without him I would not have had my (admittedly brief and not particularly glorious) career in broadcasting, it's as simple as that.
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

Very gutted to hear about this, and I can only hope that his recovery is a complete success. :(

On a semi-related note, I think we all know all of what James Hunt would have to say to this tragic news.
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

-*:-
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Barbazza wrote:Without him I would not have had my (admittedly brief and not particularly glorious) career in broadcasting, it's as simple as that.

Spill the beans!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I wasn't building up the suspense, I've just been away for the weekend!

Nothing exciting I'm afraid, I started out presenting radio shows at University (while I was there I cheekily wrote to Murray asking if he could do me some jingles - he very graciously explained that his BBC contract meant that he couldn't, but I got a signed photo out of it!) and then managed to make a career in Commercial Radio for around 5 years doing the same.

During that time, my one and only experience of actual sports commentary (Carlisle Utd vs Shrewsbury Town - oh, the glamour!) was such an utter disaster that I never even harboured thoughts of going in that direction!!
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

*Bump*
Just watching the ITV4 coverage of the Silverstone Classic 2013, which featured an interview with Murray. He looked well, said he was "absolutely fine", was now off the crutches following his broken pelvis & was not going to have to undergo Chemo.
All sounds very positive.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

eagleash wrote:*Bump*
Just watching the ITV4 coverage of the Silverstone Classic 2013, which featured an interview with Murray. He looked well, said he was "absolutely fine", was now off the crutches following his broken pelvis & was not going to have to undergo Chemo.

Hope that's the end of it.

Happy days.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

good_Ralf wrote:

Happy days.

That is indeed good news. I am happy to read this news.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Barbazza wrote:I wasn't building up the suspense, I've just been away for the weekend!

Nothing exciting I'm afraid, I started out presenting radio shows at University (while I was there I cheekily wrote to Murray asking if he could do me some jingles - he very graciously explained that his BBC contract meant that he couldn't, but I got a signed photo out of it!) and then managed to make a career in Commercial Radio for around 5 years doing the same.

During that time, my one and only experience of actual sports commentary (Carlisle Utd vs Shrewsbury Town - oh, the glamour!) was such an utter disaster that I never even harboured thoughts of going in that direction!!

Can't be as bad as us other hacks on F1R. 5 years radio experience? We've got to get you in as lead commentator for the live F1RWRS races! :lol:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

good_Ralf wrote:

Happy days.

I always liked Murray Walker, so it's good to hear he's doing ab-so-loutely FANTASTIC despite this recent health scare.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.