The New Boys on the Block-YOU Make the Decision.

Archive for the three above subforums
WaffleCat

The New Boys on the Block-YOU Make the Decision.

Post by WaffleCat »

It's December 22,1982. There is a guy named Thomas Travers living somewhere near Milton Keynes,which is nearby to the infamous Silverstone circuit.Mr. Travers has been an avid follower of Formula One for many years,having never missed a British Grand Prix at Silverstone since he was twenty,as he gave it up to go on his first,and unsuccessful,date. He has just witnessed the craziest season racing had delivered,yet somehow he wanted more. Mr Travers was fairly rich,being the boss of a large shopping centre in Milton Keynes. He was making a nice amount of money,yet he thought that his job of leafing through monthly sales and setting up new businesses in his mall was just a bit too boring. Instead,he wanted action. He wanted speed. He wanted to race.

He ditched his job and set up a small ad in the classifieds to try and hire mechanics.It wasn't standing out on the front page.In fact,it was placed right next to a more eye-opening advertisement for Barb and Pete's Bloomin Great Nursery.It was a fairly simple advert:"Experienced Mechanics needed for Project.Unknown time for date of completion.Expect medium wages.University degree required.Contact Mr.Travers at 0190847365". Yet,on his first day,he got a nice,decent number of mechanics who responded to the advertisement. Mr Travers,however, had kept secret his Formula One ambititons only until after the mechanics got their jobs.He soon set off with his new employees and a couple friends to set up a new racing team in a massive,abandoned warehouse nearby.Their Goal:Formula One Glory.Their Team:Empire Racing.

How will the team survive? Who will Mr. Travers sign up for this entirely spontaneous and random venture into F1? What kind of insane decisions make in F1?Well...

...it's all up to YOU.

Hello,and while I am slightly bored as my F1RSTC is only beginning in the late season,I have begun this new project.This one is like a career,it's only that you get to choose who to sign,what engine to pick,whether to go for a powerful machine or one that would last until the end.Basically,I would give out options,for example:

Issue:What tyres to choose for the 1983 season?

a)Pirelli
b)Goodyear
c)Michelin

And then all of you would vote for the options given above.Sound simple? Good. Expect the first round of decision making tommorrow.Thoughts?
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Backmarker

Re: The New Boys on the Block-YOU Make the Decision.

Post by Backmarker »

WaffleCat wrote:And then all of you would vote for the options given above.Sound simple? Good. Expect the first round of decision making tommorrow.Thoughts?

Yes
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

WaffleCat wrote:Contact Mr.Travers at 0190847365".

The "1" after the initial 0 wasn't added to British phones until the mid 1990s - schoolboy error. ;)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I will participate in this.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Julien

Post by Julien »

Count me in :)
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Sounds like the ill-fated Percision Motorsports RP, but anyway, I'm in. :)

(Also, WaffleCat, you're needed over the Warped Touring Car Series thread)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

This really reminds me of the plucky little Jenkins Industries F1 Team :lol:

Anyway I'm in!
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I suppose I'll lend my technical expertise when it comes to running other people's cars here :)
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I like this idea. Count me in.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

I'll lend my 2 cents!
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I'm interested. Count me in.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

December 27,1982.

The prefect,ableit slightly delayed,Christmas present for Thomas Travers.Not only was his warehouse ready to begin preparing a chassis,he was also accepted an entry into Formula One by FISA,although it was only a one-car entry. Still,Mr Travers could not believe it.His team,Empire Racing,would be all set to run the 1983 Formula One Season.

However,there were a few issues.A lack of engines,tyres and even drivers were with the team,but Mr.Travers decided to leave those decisions for later.Now,though,he would have to make a major choice.He saved up a budget to run his team,and after the basics were sorted out,like travel plans,hotel accomodations and the like,he had around 8 million pounds to run his team on.He was going to make his own chassis, the EMP01, but he did not know what material he should make the chassis out of. He had heard of this new material called "carbon fibre" that sent him drooling,but there will be a massive,hefty price tag for it's advantages.It was lightweight and harder and it could be very easily molded. On the other hand,he could use aluminium,a tried and tested material that some teams were using and it was not too expensive. Furthermore,his mechanics have had loads of experience working with aluminuim.However,more and more teams were switching to carbon fibre,and aluminium would soon become outdated.

That was not his only problem.His chassis,as he knew,could never set the world alight during its first season,and possibly only get a point here or there.Wherever,though,was the question.Would he build the car around a POWER principle and let the car trash everyone else on circuits with long straights at the expense of its handling and reliability? Could he focus on the car's handling and sacrifice speed? Or would he create an ultra-reliable car with the hopes everyone else drops like flies in front of him while going as slow as a tadpole? Or just go for a solid,all-round car with no sacrifices or gains everywhere?

ISSUE 1:What material should the EMP01 be made out of?

a)Aluminium (Cost:1 million pounds)
b)Carbon Fibre (Cost:3 million pounds/Increase in power,handling and reliability +1)

ISSUE 2:What should the EMP01 chassis be focused on?

a)Power (Power +1,Handling and Reliability -1)
b)Handling (Handling +1,Power and Reliability -1)
c)Reliability (Reliability +1,Power and Handling -1)
d)All-Round (No Change)

Thanks for the support everyone.Go ahead and make your decision.You have roughly 20-30 hours to make a choice.

Oh,BTW AndreaModa,I have never called anyone in the UK,so I literally had to go onto the internet to see what the phone number format/area code for Milton Keynes.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

Julien

Post by Julien »

How much money he has?
I would definitely would go for a carbon fibre chassis with one extra reliability point if it's affordable.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

If he has the money, he should take carbon fibre. An all-round chassis would be good.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

pi314159 wrote:If he has the money, he should take carbon fibre. An all-round chassis would be good.

WaffleCat wrote:He saved up a budget to run his team,and after the basics were sorted out,like travel plans,hotel accomodations and the like,he had around 8 million pounds to run his team on

There you go.Mind you,this is before engine,tyre or driver deals.Also,different focus of the chassis does not affect cost.

HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Issue 1
Carbon Fibre

Issue 2
All Round
Officially Retired
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Let's stick to safe options for the first season.

Issue 1:
Aluminium

Issue 2:
All-round
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Can I become involved in this?
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

eurobrun wrote:Can I become involved in this?

Anyone can,there's no need to sign up.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

£8 million is a pretty good budget to work with. I think a carbon fibre chassis would be good value. The McLaren MP4/1 has carbon fibre, and it seems to be working pretty well for them.

1) Carbon Fibre
2) All-Round

That will give us the best possible chassis at this stage. Focusing the chassis on a particular area ultimately weakens performance, and I don't think that's something we can really afford right now.
Everything's great.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Carbon Fibre. With such a small team, the chassis will probably be the biggest factor, so it should be worth the money.
2. All Round, because it gives the best numbers on average.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Carbon Fibre and All-Around, I say. :)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

1. Carbon fibre

2. POWERRRRRRRRRRRR!
TORA! TORA! TORA!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

As with a few others...

1) carbon fibre
2) Al-Round

Let's try to be respectable for our first season :P
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

1. Carbon fibre
2. All round

SIMPLES
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

My picks:

1. Carbon fiber

2. All round.

These seem to be the best bets.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

VOTES TALLY

Issue 1:Chassis Material-10 votes Carbon Fibre,1 vote Aluminium
Issue 2:Chassis Focus-9 votes All-Round,1 vote Reliability,1 vote Power

January 3,1983

After a few days off celebrating the start of the new year,Thomas Travers went straight back to making some calls. Some of his mechanics were not too happy with the decision to go carbon fibre,but had been ensured that this year is a learning year for them to get used to the new material. In the meantime,Mr Travers had more things on his mind:Engines.

Mr Travers had been looking far and wide for contacts to get engines and have found several engine makers willing to give them his engines.The first one was Ford,who were willing to give their ever-reliable DFV engine to the new upstarts,but the power in the DFV paled to those new fangled turbo engines.A maker that caught Mr. Travers' eye was Hart Racing Engines.They were offering significantly less for their engines than the other suppliers,and had immense control despite being a Turbo.It's reliability,though,is not something that they could be too proud of.The same goes for Alfa Romeo,willing to lend their boosty but breakable turbo-boosted machines to the debutants.BMW were the next engine manufacturer to give Mr Travers their number,having a poweful but heavy engine as a nice tasty offer,considering they were supplying top team Brabham.Finally,Renault were seeking to supply their engines to other teams for the first time instead of limiting the engines to their factory team. However,Renault,like BMW,were offering a slightly steeper price tag than the other suppliers.

Another thing Mr Travers had on his already busy mind were the choice of tyres,each with their own benefits.Goodyear,a long runner in Formula One,had a tyre compound that somehow managed to propel cars to faster speeds along the straights.Pirelli had a compund that made up for nice handling,while relative newcomers Michelin had their stars primed on lower tyre wear.It was going to be a tough choice,but Mr. Travers' toughest would be one he would be settling on when all this business was done:Drivers.

(Bank Balance:5 million pounds)

ISSUE 1:What engine would the EMP01 be powered by?

a)Cosworth DFV-3.0 V8 N/A (+1 Reliability,-1 Power--Price:1.5 million pounds)
b)Hart 415T-1.5 L4 Turbo (+1 Handling,-1 Reliability--Price:1 million pounds)
c)BMW M12/13-1.5 L4 Turbo (+1 Power,-1 Handling--Price:2 million pounds)
d)Alfa Romeo 890T-1.5 V8 Turbo (+1 Power,-1 Reliability--Price:1.5 million pounds)
e)Renault EF1-1.5 V6 Turbo (+1 Reliability,-1 Handling--Price:2 million pounds)

ISSUE 2:What tyres should Empire Racing strike a deal with? (ALL tyres cost 0.5 million)

a)Goodyear (+1 Power)
b)Pirelli (+1 Handling)
c)Michelin (+1 Reliability)

Once again,vote away.You guys have about 24-ish hours to vote.Also,I'm not fully planning to stick with the real-life 1983 schedule or lineup,so stay tuned for some driver news.

Julien

Post by Julien »

Tyre is Michelin. If you want points, you have to finish first.
Engine... Well, it's only me, there really isn't such a big difference between the engines? Anyway, I would go with the good old DFVs, or if you want to gamble, with a Renault package. it is definitely the best engine out there and it gives an extra reliability point.
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Issue 1: Hart 415T-1.5 L4
Issue 2: Michelin
Officially Retired
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Engine: Hart
Tyre: Goodyear
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

1. Renault
2. Michelin
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Never heard someone call a Renault turbo reliable.

1) Hart 415T-1.5 L4 Turbo - All the engines have the same overall benefit, so might as well trying and recoup a bit of the money spent on the chassis here.
2) Goodyear - The hit to reliability might be somewhat concerning, but rounding out the cars strengths in terms of sheer raw pace is worth it I think.
Everything's great.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

1. Renault
2. Goodyear

CoopsII wrote:

WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Julien,do I count your engine vote as a DFV or a Renault?

the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

1. Alfa
2. Michelin
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

1. BMW
2. Michelin
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

I'd go with the good old Cossie V8, with the power deficit being balanced out by Goodyear tires.
MIA SAN MIA!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

BMW and Pirelli will do.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

F1 Headlines-December 2013(Went to press January 5,1983)

New team on the block

Having recieved an official copy of the entry list for the first race of the 1983 season,due to be held in Jacarepagua on March 13,our attention has been focused to one new team on the bottom of the list:Empire Racing.Sporting the #40 car,this entry is rather peculiar as there have been few press releases by this team,and we have yet to recieve word on what engines they're using or who's driving. However,we do know that the man who founded this team is a certain Mr. Thomas Travers,who saved up the money to form the team from his former job as the manager of a large shopping centre in Milton Keynes.Let's hope his future endeavours into Formula One well.

Drivers going in and out of teams thick and fast.

We have barely made it past the new year and all of the top five-Ferrari,Renault,McLaren,Williams and Brabham-have picked their drivers for the 1983 season.Brabham and McLaren remain as they were in '82,but it's all change from then on.Ferrari have kept Patrick Tambay for this season and,in one news story making waves around Italy,they have scored a major coup in signing promising young Italian Elio de Angelis to Maranello in 1983,causing the Tifosi to go crazy. Renault,in the meantime,have seen Rene Arnoux depart their time to join Alfa Romeo,don't ask why,and have replaced him with another Frenchman,Jacques Laffite, to pair up alongside Alain Prost. Finally,reigning world champion Keke Rosberg will have an American partner at his team next season,with Eddie Cheever joining the squad after an impressive season with Ligier the year before.

In other news,Derek Daly has replaced de Angelis at Lotus,to be paired alongside Nigel Mansell,while Tyrell keep Michele Alboreto for another season as newcomer Danny Sullivan joins Tyrell after sponsors Benetton demanded an American driver join the team.Finally,at Alfa Romeo,Andrea de Cesaris has been paired with,as mentioned previously,Rene Arnoux.

Season Calendar Announcements

Jean-Marie Balestre,head of FISA,has said that the proposed New York Grand Prix at Flushing Meadow will "go ahead as scheduled and as planned.". There has been some doubt over the race,like money issues and track development,but Balestre has been confident that the race will continue.In other calendar news,the South African Grand Prix has been moved to the end of the season while the Belgian Grand Prix makes a welcome return to a redeveloped Spa-Francorchamps circuit,which cuts off most of the "triangle",leaving the old circuit at Les Combes and rejoining at Blanchimont.The pit lane has also been moved to in front of the La Source hairpin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
(OOC:This is NOT the deadline for votes,it's just a small update to give you guys an idea of what I'm doing when I mean team and calendar changes)